Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bigroad

There are jobs available in Dublin Bus if NK can negotiate a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I wonder why now this has blown up, everyone in RTÉ and that cesspit Noel Kelly knew for years

Would it have been a disgruntled staffer ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Maybe a barter account to siphon a fee per passenger? That's assuming he isn't thrown under it before he gets to take off on his maiden voyage.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

However with the move towards a universal charge, our trust and buy in isn't really a priority. This is more like a scandal at a government department. A few heads roll but the department continues on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If we can post a list on here of sponsors and their email address along with a template of the email (which is below) we can send them that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I posted the following on the LiveLine thread a few days ago. Nothing has changed my opinion on Tubridy since.

.....Tubridy is finished as a broadcaster in Ireland I reckon. There's been a fair bit of suspicious activity the past few months around him with RTE and I reckon he'll see out his radio contract and it won't be renewed.

He left the LLS very suddenly, only a couple of weeks after giving an interview saying he intended doing it for a few more years. His motives were suspicious at the time to us who knew him, but it is now obvious he knew the game was up.

His leaving show on the LLS was very poorly attended, the great and the good stayed away. They were forewarned; either by NK or else they knew from gossip within RTE that he was buggered.

The lack of love for him in RTE is obvious in that nobody has come out to defend him and his statements the past two days don't help him going forward. He lays the blame squarely on RTE and absolves himself of any real complicity in it. The truth is that the payments would not have happened without his active complicity in the matter.

I wasn't surprised that Duffy had a programme about him, he was fairly strident against RTE after the story of the COVID breaching leaving party for Phil 'Whiplash' Collins. I got the impression then that he (Duffy) doesn't have too many friends in RTE, and he knows he's in the clear on payments, so he's probably betting that some others are mired in this. Interesting. But not unusual, as every workplace has its cliques and people backstabbing each other.

So what now for Tubridy? I think he's very damaged goods and unless he has a very good personal relationship with the new DG, he'll be gone when the current radio contract runs out. Where will he go? Maybe Newstalk, but he won't have the pulling power of Pat Kenny and therefore he won't command near the wages he's currently on.

His inane natter isn't up to BBC standards and he doesn't have the focus for them, so I personally think the UK is out. Unless he goes to a private station, but I honestly don't know much about them.

Which leaves the US, and I think he can get a few years there. There's still an older 'Irish' element there who will think his Leprachaun lilting will be cute and there's plenty of stations there where his inane waffling would find a slot. The pay would be a downgrade, and he'd be on a 'hire & fire' contract but I think its his best option. He can butter up his contacts with the US Irish Democrats and have the odd weekend in Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard etc. It would be right up his alley, he has the money to support himself and convince himself he's worth it.

Dear X,

As you are a sponsor on RTE, I felt that I had to inform you that my friends and family will be joining me in boycotting your product. We will be doing this as we are disgusted with the goings on at RTE and we can't support a company who sponsors a corrupt organisation.

However you will be pleased to hear that we will stop our boycott as soon as you stop sponsoring RTE. I look forward to hearing back from you real soon.

Kind regards

xxxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭hometruths

I wouldn't be so sure. Take Newstalk for example. In their current line up who would they replace with Ryan Tubridy?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

His future on RTE will depend on how attractive his presence is to advertisers. Unless the people I've been talking with all weekend are very unrepresentative, he's toast. And all the learning Irish in the world won't get him to the Aras. Sorry no fadas - unfamiliar laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The broader issue is that in the era of social media TV and radio advertising is of diminishing value though not of no value, getting sponsors must be getting harder and harder hence the emergence of selling on to discounters in the TV and radio advertising space.

The likes of, Ray Darcy, Joe Duffy, etc are from a different era.

While RTE needs a shark up I would not like a Newstalk type as a public broadcaster, Newstalk is dishonest, populist, and very clickbait orientated.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The lunchtime slot would be the only suitable spot for him. He's rubbish though,only RTE would give the chap a job.

I think you are right that America might become his safe haven but it's making the news in America.

You mentioned that NK might have told people to stay away from the last LLS, not sure if this could be true as NK is up to his oxters in this and has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And he’s still only the 3rd most rubbish known presenter in RTE..

Newstalk or anybody else in Ireland won't touch or take damaged goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Somebody above mentioned that he would see out his radio contract. Not a hope in hell is he going back to any airwaves any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Nah, he's the worst (IMO). Absolutely unlistenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Toxic Tubridy? The problem for what's left of his career is that advertisers may think twice about wanting to be associated with him. Renault cut that deal with Tubridy after a year but RTE still paid Tubridy. According to some reports, Center Parcs was reconsidering sponsoring his radio show.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Along with no discernible talent he also has no listenership to bring with him now

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'd say he'll walk the planet for a bit and return with a "no holds barred" podcast. "Dealing with death, depression, JFK and and a bit of a laugh on the way."

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I‘m glad Christie didn’t live to see this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I think Tubridy is finished......for now...

Unfortunately, in the not too distant future he will make a reappearance in some guise or other to feed his overinflated ego.......

I only hope its in some far away place where I dont have to hear about it......

Someone like piers morgan (who tubridy indulges on his LLS appearances) might put in a word for him at Talk tv.....

Post edited by StevenToast on

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Podcast... book maybe... something voluntary for his fanbase - nothing broadcast to general national audience.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Any decent contract would have a get out clause where any 'scandal' associated with the presenter makes the contract null and void - However RTE are a bit thick so may have missed that

That's a major problem for him and others who may be affected by this. People don't seem to listen to the presenter but simply have their radio tuned to a specific station and are too lazy to change it. That's if the audience figures for these programmes are accurate. Pat Kenny leanred the hard way that it wasn't his audience when he didn't have his RTE contract renewed.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Remember the scene in the movie "Goodfellas" where Paulie cut off Henry Hill? If Tubridy is gone from RTE, it will be like he never existed. No book promotion. Maybe even no publisher would want to take anything he's written unless he's doing a tell-all. Podcast? The same promotion problem exists.

Regards...jmcc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement