Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Biden closes gun control speech in USA with 'God save the Queen'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭hometruths

I saw quite a lot of his speeches in Ireland and I thought he did well for a man of his age.

I still don't think Vice President Joe Biden would have mistaken the Indian national anthem for the US National anthem. Because I think the comparison between his speeches, gait, demeanour etc between then and now is clear evidence of something more than physical ageing.

So it was notes to a speech when Trump was president, who'd have thought it eh? Thanks for filling in the blanks on my Trump knowledge.

So you assumed I followed US politics more closely than I do. Working off that assumption, what was your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johannmall

Clown ! No wonder Trump will be the next president ! Save us

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So you dont follow US politics closely... yet you are somehow so well acquainted with Biden as VP you can diagnose 'clear evidence of something more than physical aging'???

What would physical aging alone look like and from what basis do you make such a judgment?

Not a very convincing argument is it?

I saw nothing specific in anything on this thread that would give me concern for Biden over and above that of any 80 year old, or suggest he is unfit for office.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

If this thread goes on long enough there may be a future point in time where Biden goes Jack Hannah but we're just nowhere at that point yet lads, even if we look at all the supposed evidence very favorably toward such a bias.

My working knowledge of American zookeepers is poor too, so I had to google jack Hanna. Sounds like a decent man, sad for his family, but at least they've had time to adjust, as it does not appear to have been sudden onset.

Although Hanna’s family stated “his condition has severely worsened in the last few months,” Dr. Janson explains that Alzheimer’s tends to develop slowly and worsen over years. “Often there are more gradual changes over time that the patient is able to hide, making the family unaware of how severe things really are,” says Dr. Janson. “In many cases a patient reaches a point where he can no longer do things that he used to do, and then it is more obvious to the family. It may seem like a sudden change, but looking back, the signs were there.”

Any radical departure from the norm — behavioral changes, confusion, trouble with language — is a reason to bring someone in to be evaluated, says Dr. Janson. On average, Alzheimer’s progresses over the course of five to 10 years.

• Advertisement

I don't follow it closely enough to immediately be familiar with a photo of notes from Trump's speeches in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm refuting the arguments put forward that Biden has cognitive decline.

What is the point of wading in to US politics to make such hefty allegations about the President of the United States, without at minimum applying a level standard to one's own analysis: 'Biden tripped, is that cognitive decline or do other Presidents trip, Biden messed up a speech, is that not normal?' 'Trump keeps messing the **** up out of his teleprompter speeches is he deranged or does he just hate wearing glasses (this)' etc. quite the opposite there has been harsh criticism applied at anyone who discusses the matter on such a standard. Propagating the mere (and often poorly accredited) opinion that he is in cognitive decline often reads like that is more important than recognizing the folly of any such argument, which is built on sand from the outset.

I'm refuting the arguments put forward that Biden has cognitive decline.

You produced this photo of Trump and question in direct response to my specific question:

Do you believe Vice President Biden in 2009 would have stood with his hand on his heart for 15 seconds of the Indian national anthem before he realised it was not the US anthem?

To remind you:

Are you prepared to answer the question I asked?

I've no idea what relevance Trumps notes are to the question I asked. But it looks like deflection to me.

The question you asked is hypothesis contrary to fact. I asked my own counterfactual question: Do you believe Trump in 2009 would have needed to write a cue card to himself in senior-citizen sized lettering that "I want nothing" while trying to publicly deny impeachment allegations to the press? Would Trump have in 2009 not have thought to myself to say that without needing such a painstaking prompt? I'm probing the low standards of the allegations here against Biden and asking why they don't apply equally to past, real-world, historic examples.

You're now getting into an area that I have an expert working knowledge of.

I simply asked for your opinion on something, and not a hypothesis contrary to fact according to the examples of the link you provided eg:

Description: Offering a poorly supported claim about what might have happened in the past or future, if (the hypothetical part) circumstances or conditions were different.

Eg - as per your link, If event X did happen, then event Y would have happened (based only on speculation).

I offered no claim, poorly supported or otherwise, and there was no hypothetical if in my question. The only difference in circumstances/conditions was the job title. Vice President or President.

I'm more than happy to answer your question, I've already done so, and will happily do so again.

Yes I do believe Trump in 2009 would have needed to write a cue card to himself in senior-citizen sized lettering etc etc etc.

Do you believe Vice President Biden in 2009 would have stood with his hand on his heart for 15 seconds of the Indian national anthem before he realised it was not the US anthem?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

It's an empire in decline, it's a shame, I used to love the place and lived there for about a year.

Would never go back now - don't think even for a holiday - well maybe to a national park (that they will always have worlds best) but not a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

It is clearly obvious there is something not right with the man, what the heck was he holding his hand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You didn't see the SOTU I guess then where Biden wiped the floor with the entire Republican party...

People were telling Reagan what to say. There are numerous videos of minders and others prompting Reagan, you won't find that with Biden.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6JTtI3D6lqk&pp=ygUNcmVhZ2FuIHNlbmlsZQ%3D%3D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Who is defending Hunter?

Jared Kushner and Ivanka dealings with the Saudis are a million times more shady than anything Hunter did. And Hunter is a private citizen who never worked in WH while Kushner and Ivanka were Trumps top advisors for 4 years. Democrats don't care about Jared and Ivanka though.

The tribalism is going after the drug addict son of Biden who isn't in politics because they have absolutely nothing on Joe Biden himself. It was same nonsense with Obama ie he isn't American, he is a Muslim so not fit for office. Hillary same rubbish Benghazi and emails despite multiple US embassies attacked during Bush Jr's run and thousands of classified emails on servers too but no investigation into them because Bush was Republican. Stopping Gore winning election he lawfully won before that. Impeaching Bill Clinton before that for the most trivial thing.

The Republican party have been win at all costs since 1968. They create a huge fuss over next to nothing all the while protecting their own leaders who have committed numerous crimes these past 5 decades.

Those numbers say it all

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-e76a46d3a326742beafd34427f7d7f6e-pjlq

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

@rossie1977

The Republican party have been win at all costs since 1968. They create a huge fuss over next to nothing all the while protecting their own leaders who have committed numerous crimes these past 5 decades.

True but recently I can only conclude that the people running the show tried Trump's covid cure. Sure, they'd managed to abuse an already undemocratic voting system but that only gets you so far. It's like nobody has asked where future voters for the GOP come from. Beyond the dedicated cohort of libertarians, conservatives and MAGA trash, there's not much by way of a dedicated base and they've done nothing to grow it.

If I can't start a family, afford healthcare (somehow in the world's richest country) or buy a home, why would I vote GOP when they're openly spreading conspiracy theories instead of governing.

From ABC:

Racism and anti-trans hatred didn't save a single life.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

It's quite possible that Reagan was developing early symptoms of dementia (which is what he eventually died from)... which is why I find it an interesting comparison with Biden. The progression of the illness can vary with different people.

I would say that Reagan was far sharper than Biden though at the same age.

Here is a clip at the end of Reagan's time in office. (I think he is about 78 years old in this)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Reagan was one of the greatest speech givers in post war politics.

I'm sure if you put speeches of Reagan and Biden of similar ages up for comparison at any age, you'll find Reagan coming across better in a speech.

It proves nothing.

BY the standards of political mortals, at 80 years old Biden in Ireland, Biden at the recent Hollywood movie night I linked... holds up perfectly well and there's absolutely zero to suggest something that would make him unfit for office.

If we're comparing with political mortals, this is Donald Trump, what mental age is manifesting itself here and to appeal to what audience??? Perhaps our armchair medical experts can suggest one?

Does he come across as sharper than Biden when it comes out with this nonsense and daily incriminates himself legally? Is it cognitive decline?

Or maybe this is just Trump being Trump and Biden saying "God Save the Queen" is Biden being Biden.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

The traditional Indian clothing worn by Modi, called the kurta pajama, somewhat resembles formal western female attire...

At this point, it's really not beyond the realm of possibility that Biden simply thought he was holding his wife's hand as he walked down the steps.

Depressing... but evidently a very real possibility. 😐️

The hand holding thing is very odd.

Notice when Biden does get to his wife he goes to take her hand too, initially she accepts his hand, and then she appears to realise something is not right, drops Biden's hand and goes round the other side to Modi, and there is an uncomfortable few seconds where she hesitates why/how/if to hold his hand too.

Then ends up in the most awkward position of all, as she takes Modi's right hand in her right hand!

Truly bizarre stuff. If any of those here who follow US politics closer than I do can explain what's going on it would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Dr Jill didn’t know whose hand to shake when and where well that settles it impeach the president obviously.

Dr Jill wasn't cconfused whether to shake Modi 's hand as in a greeting.

she was confused about whether or not to hold it like a child as her husband was doing.

He was merely exchanging long protein strains! If you can think of a simpler way I'd like to hear it.

(regular human couples of all ages hold hands)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭paxreseuropa

To what ends will people go to defend this man; to anyone who genuinely believes he is fit and able to fulfil the duties of any job with responsibility, let alone the President of the United States, they either need their mental health checked, their moral compass realigned, or a combination of both.

Republican, Democrat, or otherwise everyone must agree that Joe Biden is not cognitively able or physically capable of serving as and fulfilling the duties of the President of the United States as necessary. The fact he is yet to be impeached in itself is shocking; he cannot be allowed to win a second term!

(regular human couples of all ages hold hands)

The regular human couple of Biden and Modi holding hands was looking odd enough to begin with.

When Dr Jill joined in it became an awkward looking threesome.

Watch it again until the end and I think you'll see what I mean.

The regular human couple of Biden and Modi holding hands was looking odd enough to begin with.

Have you looked into it? What's the norm for Indian diplomacy and Indian culture?

Awkward moment with Dr. Jill but that looks to be a comedy of small errors in international WH visit protocol.

I haven't looked into the finer details of Indian diplomacy and Indian culture, but given that Modi looks awkward as well would an indicator that this hand holding routine is not something he interprets as respect for Indian diplomacy and culture.

Another indicator would be the fact that the author of tweet posted above comments that Biden is "holding the hand of an autocrat thinking it is his wife’s".

I am assuming he is familiar with Indian diplomacy and culture.

Swain was born in the eastern Indian State of Odisha. After studying in his village school, he completed his Bachelor of Arts from Ravenshaw CollegeCuttack under Utkal UniversityBhubaneswar.

He received his Master of Arts from the University of Delhi.

Swain received his Ph.D. in 1991 from the School of International Studies of Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India with the thesis titled Security of Small States in the International System.

Are there any other straws we can clutch at here?

Aren't you still clutching at the straw that it's not considered customary in India to hold hands for all sorts of cordial, diplomatic, platonic and nonsexual reasons? What are we still talking about here, lol.

We're talking about a 42 second clip of the US President in which I think he looks a little lost at best and you think he looks presidential.

We can agree to differ. My opinion doesn't matter, but he's your president, so if you think that's the best you've got, then great, good luck to you.

• Advertisement

No, I said I think it looks like a comedy of errors, at least don't misrepresent me.

Advertisement