Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Visiting artists pay a minimal tax I believe. Wouldn't apply to him though he wasn't getting audience fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Why would he? Him and his company are tax resident in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Which leads back to him getting paid via a UK entity.

If he was paid by a Japanese entity would you expect him to pay tax in Japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

Tubridy being paid what he got let alone the top up payments was indeed criminal. He has zero TV or radio charisma, charm and ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I wonder if Gay Byrne or Mike Murphy were getting under the counter payments?

Bill O'Herlihy - Liam Brady - John Giles - Eamon Dunphy I would include also!

Surely this goes a lot further back than Ryan Tubridy!

On Eamon Dunphy's podcast he had on Finonan Sheehan to talk about RT. Eamon mentioned that back around 2009 or 2010 he told RTE he wanted to take a 30K pay cut as he said he felt he was being paid too much. He also said he wanted to do it quietly but somehow it got leaked to the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Maybe not that far back...

The driving factors being RTE having to declare the pay of their top earners and having to declare cut backs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Because RTE were trying to hide the fact that their highest paid presenter did not take the cuts and redundancies they foisted on everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Eamon spoke out about it so I'd say he's in the clear. I doubt this nonsense went on in Gay or Mike's time, and I don't think sports presenters would need sweetners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Under the table/off the books means that the payment was illegal. Off you go to the Gardai/Revenue and show them the proof that you have.

If the Board weren't aware of it, that's not Tubridy's fault. That's the fault of the internal reporting systems in RTE.

Being a preachy fcuk is immaterial. That makes him dislikable but being dislikable doesn't mean that he broke the law. Hey, maybe he did break the law, time will tell. But from what I can see, it doesn't look like he broke the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭chrisd2019

Must say I have been wondering the same point. Is it credible that there was only one contractor in RTE that was receiving these type of additional payments. Might some more of the publish salaries need revision before RTE arrives at the politicians table.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's a big commercial question about why RTE entered into a contract with Tubridy to pay him the extra €75k each year, without having a similar contract with a sponsor to back this up. That was inevitably going to lead into this mess. Any commitment from RTE should have been conditional on getting a sponsor, rather than an absolute commitment.

Dee Forbes must have known the figures RTE were putting out for Tubridy's pay were disingenuous. Is there anyway to stop her pension on the grounds of gross misconduct? Tubridy whether one likes him or not put himself forward as this paragon of virtue while slyly lining his pockets while others took a pay cut in RTE.

Even before he took these side payments he was grossly overpaid by RTE for what he brought to the table. He was at best worth 200k and that's being kind. In 2021 he trousered 440k plus 75k on the side pulling in a cool just over 1/2 million. Almost 10k per week. Disgusting. He has ruined his reputation with the public and I'm not gonna lie I'm delighted. I hope he is finished in broadcasting.

RTE say they have to pay Tubridy, O'Callaghan, Duffy and D'Arcy huge wages or risk losing them to the private sector. Cut their wages and see how they get on in the private sector. No presenter in RTE should earn more than 200k. Bear in mind that these presenters can also earn appearance money so god knows how much Tubridy has actually raked in over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 anonymouscactus

What about all the money RTE doles out to 'independent' production companies? Waaay more scope for wastage/laundering there. There are some production companies that seem to do nothing but work for RTE and/or Irish government/EU projects - it's like they pretend to be independent media surviving the cut and thrust of the Darwinian private sector, when they are anything but.

Needless to say, these arrangements are obviously all above board and entirely sdcrupulous, and not at all an example of cozy cartel, and I am sure there is no bloat and no wastage of tax payers money among these cliques --that would be most un-Irish-- but for the sake of thoroughness, these relationships and the money involved should be explored closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There's also the fact that Renault got free advertising to the tune of their fee so it cost them nothing.

The sponsorship money should have gone to RTE, not RT who was already (over)paid to read from his precious cue cards.

RTE should tell their stars, your wage is 200K but you are allowed x amount of nixers through out the year,

He doesnt have to have broken the law to have killed his media career or at least massively curtailed it.

Does 'under the table' mean illegal???

Charlie Weston Indo business journalist on Twitter called them under the counter.

The Independent called them secret payments.

Maybe you should take it up with them? Off you go then.

But if a major newspaper uses that language I will do so - your claims to the contrary have no standing.

Charlie Weston is also a top class journalist who knows his stuff. He would not throw out terms like this willy nilly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Does 'under the table' mean illegal???

I thought it did but apparently it means secret or hidden. Apologies for that.

His career is fcuked in the short term. Who knows, he might make a comeback some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Which production companies do nothing but work for RTE and/or Irish gov/EU projects please?

The fact that this came out shortly after he stepped down from the LLS is either an amazing coincidence or he knew this was coming down the track. Dee Forbes is surely answerable to the board of directors so how she thought it ok, off her own bat, to guarantee a side payment to Tubridy is beyond me.

To then hear her bang on about needing to increase the license fee is galling. Her time at RTE needs to be carefully trawled back through to see if she was up to other shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've placed a number of posters on ignore following advice from my agent (lol). I've separately been told via PM that one or two of them are continuing to troll and attempt to bait me - they know who they are.

To those posters: I've decided not to engage further with people who call me unhinged, a c*nt, a stalker, a psycho, unemployed, obsessed, depressed, lonely, insane, mentally ill, sensitive, jealous, bitter....and all the various other things I've been called on the Tubridy/NKM subject over the years in what is supposed to be a civil forum. Please note: I can't see your posts so won't be in a position to reply. I'm not running scared, you haven't "beaten" me - I simply for the sake of my mental health (that you frequently question) will not be engaging with you further. Almost every single time people start the personal abuse I ask them to stop and debate without resorting to insults - it has rarely worked. I have frequently said I'll debate anyone on the topics of RTE Radio and TV, NKM, Tubs, and Joe Duffy as long as the debate doesn't resort to personal abuse. No-one has yet taken me up on that.

Apparently my post count and tenure on boards was questioned too? I'm posting on boards since 2009. I have 50,000+ posts, 45,000 approx. of which are radio-related in that time. I am I believe the poster with (by far) the highest radio post count on the site, despite being banned from the Tubridy thread earlier this year for a post I showed a photo of a number of pages back. I have been talking about the overpaid "talent" of NKM for most of that time, specifically Joe Duffy and Ryan Tubridy. Indeed, I've been immeasurably more critical of Joe Duffy than I ever was on Tubridy. I work in a field where I have met Tubridy professionally and socially. I grew up within a KM of him. I'm the same age as him, and I've known him since he was a teenager. We have many overlapping acquaintances, but we are very different individuals. We have a lot in common and we are acquaintances, but we were never friends.

In my various work roles over the years I have been responsible for buying advertising on RTE (and obviously, other media outlets). I have negotiated Sponsorship deals with them for Radio and TV programmes. I have been in RTE countless times. I have been on RTE junkets and received gifts from them at Christmas etc. - I've made no secret of this in my radio posts. I was offered tickets to the Toy Show once and politely declined - it's apparently not the done thing to decline these btw. I have met most of the Commercial team over the years. I have many an RTE Commercial Dept. member's phone number in my phone incl. Geraldine O'Leary's (outgoing Commercial Director). Another member of that department was even at my wedding, though he has since moved to a rival. I have a few friends who works for other radio and TV stations. I as recently as last week had coffee with the host of a current affairs radio show on a national station. I would venture I know more about how this stuff (and RTE) works than most - hence why I've been so vocal about it, NKM, Tubs, and Duffy for so long. There's lots I know that I couldn't and can't put in writing for legal reasons, and I've never ventured there - I even requested poster to stop discussing a rumour about Tubridy which was mentioned by a poster I believe in an attempt to shut this thread down. I have stuck to things I have knowledge of.

To those who question my bonafides, that's up to you whether you believe me or not. There's a few posters on here who can verify everything I've said above. I'm many things but I'm not a liar, nor am I economical with the truth a la Mr. Tubridy and Mr. Kelly.

I've been talking about this stuff for years. This is not some attempt at boasting but at a cursory glance, I have been by far the most thanked poster in this thread alone (several posts with 20+ thanks, one post on page 2 touching 50)......so I can only gather form that that some people agree with my thoughts on this subject and the parties involved. I've obviously struck a chord and with a much wider audience than the lonely confines of the Radio Thread - I commented in this thread often I would be the only person posting on the Tubridy Thread.

I'm not surprised he'd been knocked off his perch given everything I know - I just am surprised that it's greed that has been his downfall. It just seems very "uncouth". I would have thought given his background, education, and life of entitlement and privilege he would have been above something as grubby and dirty as greed.

Finally, to those of you who continue to call me unhinged, a c*nt, a stalker, a psycho, unemployed, obsessed, depressed, lonely, insane, mentally ill, sensitive, jealous, bitter....and all the various other things I've been called over the years - let's for arguments say I am all of those and more. Let's say I'm the devil himself. It doesn't change the fact that I've been right on these people; and for so long, no matter how much you try to deflect, troll, obfuscate, attempt muddy the waters, waffle, engage in whataboutery, and dole out the personal abuse - how could i forget that one?

Goodnight everyone.

#TruthMatters

P.S. Again, if you reply to this - and you know who you are - I can't see it. I'm not afraid of you. I never was.

Wow, that's nuts. It does specify sports stars though. HMRC might think RT owes UK income tax on that 1 show, but based on the article it would be his 1 UK based LLS income from all of his apperances/shows that year and end up being worth extremely little in tax to HMRC.

I was hesitant to use the phrase myself initially but have been paying attention to the media commentary phrasings.

You can never predict the twists and turns of a media career but it seems a long road back from here.

If Charlie Haughey was taking brown envelopes along with many others in politics for as many

decades I can assure you that practice found it's way into many different professional careers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭batistuta9

In fairness I'd say most would take under the table & off books to mean illegal payment, cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its a great thread but to be honest I cant make head or tail of what going on at this stage.

• Advertisement

Probably trying to hush it up? It wouldn't fit with his image!!!

I wouldn't voluntarily take a pay cut & what was he earning that made him

feel that a 30K reduction in pay was ok & it wouldn't be missed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement