Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Which is a crime under existing legislation. No need for new legislation to handle that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't believe it was humour

I don't believe he wanted to kill traveller children

I do believe it was incitement to hatred. The Gardai and The DPP believed that too and applied to prosecute.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭suvigirl

That doesn't say anything about morality. It says whatever the law is at present is right.

Again, any incitement to violence is already handled under existing legislation. If the person who mentioned the bomb threat was serious, then existing legislation is sufficient to manage the case.

Some of the other comments were either stupid or malformed. But not criminal.

Yet again I return to what I said previous, that the evidence base for the justification of this legislation is so incredibly weak, it's beyond laughable.

We know the Incitement to Hatred Act is ineffective and very difficult to prosecute under.

Guy in Dublin recently called for The Jews to be wiped out on Facebook. Nothing done.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

That is quite obviously a stupid, awful comment.

Social media is a wretched creature. It means that people can hide behind a screen, often saying stupid and reckless comments after having a few beers or whatever the case may be. That doesn't justify nor excuse their comments, but that's the reality of what has happened with social media.

Do we want to criminalise stupid, reckless, or immature comments on social media?

Let's not give that power to the state.

Let social media companies deal with comments that verge on the inappropriate.

Again you are showing a lack of understanding of what you are talking about. Incitement to hatred is not necessarily about serious calls for violence.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

Let's just imagine someone kicks the **** out of you this weekend, while shouting 'die ****' and then goes out every weekend doing the same thing to different people outside of gay bars. Or stands outside a known gay area with a plackard saying ' kill all gays ' and does it every weekend.

Do you think that could be a hate crime? Assaulting someone based entirely on their sexual orientation? possibly a hate crime?

Noone is stopping anyone from just hating gays. that will be allowed.

hope that helps 😊

I think targeted on the grounds of sexual orientation should mean assaulting or threatening violence or inciting others to assault or threaten violence against gay/transgender/non-binary people.

My genuine fear with this legislation is the hatred end of things as that leaves things very ambiguous.

“hatred” means hatred against a person or a group of persons in the State or elsewhere on account of their protected characteristics or any one of those characteristics;

Who's to say my possession of very offensive gender/disabled/race memes/sex characteristics (for the purposes of humour) won't fall foul of these laws? Is a meme about the size of Asian people's d1cks now going to put me the wrong side of the law? I've no hatred to any of these groups, but it's not a huge stretch to think that I could fall foul under these laws.

• Advertisement

If that was proven in a court of law, the person in question would be in jail -- right now. Not under 2023 legislation, but because of existing legislation.

That's violence, GBH, incitement to violence -- already covered under existing legislation.

Let's not forget that a large volume of attacks are against men in general. No specific reason. Just attacked by other groups of men.

And no, I don't think we should make almost-religious crimes against selective groups. Rather than saying hate against gay people or black people or any other identity is the issue -- how about we should say that violence or dislike against anyone, for any reason, at any time, is the reason.

Beating people up - hate crime

Holding sign saying kill all gays- incitement to hatred

Just so we are clear

The Bill has 2 distinct and different parts

Incitement to hatred is not a hate crime

Hate Crimes are not incitement to hatred

They are both very different things

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re not referenced in the legislation? The legislation refers to the protected characteristic of sexual orientation, it doesn’t refer to specific sexual orientation. This may be what’s causing the confusion and why you expect specific examples which I cannot provide you with. For starters the legislation applies to everyone in Irish society, it doesn’t just specifically protect you because you’re gay. It protects everyone on the basis of the grounds mentioned.

Your wanting to zone in on one particular ground to ask for specific examples of how you can be abused is, to put it mildly - weird. Why you think anyone would spend any time at all dreaming up ways to be abusive to you, is weird. That’s why I can’t give you examples, I’m not even trying to. I’m not interested in appeasing your persecution complex.

The purpose of the proposed legislation isn’t just to deal with people who incite violence and hatred against anyone, it’s to address the specific grounds on which their motivations for doing so are founded, and to protect everyone from harm who shares those characteristics in common.

Personally speaking, I can see far more contentious issues ahead that I would be far more concerned with, than your perceived persecution on the basis of expressing ideas that really there aren’t too many people who give a fcuk.

What are you waffling on about

Someone called for Jews to be wiped out

I asked you if all you can say about someone calling for mass murder is it was inappropriate.

Terry Pratchet

You say it's weird.

Sexual orientation is routinely brought up about protecting people with this legislation.

I refer back to my comment made before, "What should an individual be criminalised today for saying to me (as a gay person), that they are cannot be convicted of under existing legislation?".

I'm waiting for it. As a gay person, and as someone who is referenced as part of a group that must be defended (LGBT), I cannot see it.

Where is it? Where is the evidence of these hateful crimes?

Is calling for Jews to be wiped out not a crime at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭thegame983

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭thegame983

I say it’s weird, because it IS weird.

You’re looking for examples of what anyone can say to you today that they could be convicted for under the proposed legislation, when the point isn’t about protecting you because you’re gay, it’s about protecting everyone in Irish society from attacks motivated by prejudice and discrimination against individuals or groups of people on the specific grounds referred to in the legislation.

That’s why I made the point to you earlier that the victims you referred to weren’t necessarily homosexuals, that was just the motivation or the ground upon which they were attacked, or abused, or threatened. Those criteria for criminal offences don’t currently exist in legislation, which is what the proposed legislation intends to do. It’s intent is not to make it easier for you to don the mantle of victimhood.

• Advertisement

Let's accept that premise.

Yet I return to the question:

What should an individual be criminalised today for saying to me (as a gay person), that they cannot be convicted of under existing legislation?

I just want one example. Not one-hundred examples. Not ten examples. Just one example.

If someone targeted gay people, by walking around the.streets wearing a placard stating ' all gays should.be killed'

Or let's get away from your personal part, if someone tried to start a movement stating that all disabled people should be either killed/or locked up forever away from society. And that person attempted to get a following of people that believe that.

do you think perhaps there should be legislation that would cover that? Or is that kind of.behaviour acceptable?

Terry Pratchet

It’s absolutely a huge stretch. For starters you have to begin by imagining anyone would give a fcuk, then you’d have to imagine that anyone would give a fcuk about you personally being in possession of such material, then you’d have to imagine anyone would think you could only be in possession of such material for nefarious purposes…

And by the time you’ve worked yourself up into that state, you’re being paranoid about being targeted as though anyone actually IS out to get you.

If there was a movement where an individual (or individuals) went around, literally asking for "all gays to be killed", they should be convicted under existing incitement to violence legislation.

The same is true whether a movement emerged demanding that the "disabled" should be killed. This is quite clearly incitement to violence.

Yet again, the attempt to defend this novel legislation fails.

Is pointless nonsensical one liners a hate crime or just trolling?

Terry Pratchet

If I called you a 'fag' today, that's probably not a crime right now. I wonder would it be a crime under the new legislation? And my next question might be, should it be a crime to call you that? Does the context of how/where I call you it count?

Cards on the table...........I don't think name calling should be an offence..........Unless of course it's an aggravating factor in an assault, i.e. calling you 'fag' while I'm kicking the head off of you.

By the way, I'm not calling you a name, just using it as an example.

• Advertisement

If you were doing it on a constant basis it might be considered harassment with a hate biased motive.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement