Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Shane Walsh scoring only 5 points from play over the course of 3 group games and today, you're not going to go far when the guy you depend on is in that sort of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Not the first Galway person I've heard in the last hour say that they're two bad teams.

Funny seeing as many Galway supporters were bigging them up all year as having a great shot at winning the All-Ireland.

In actuality there is very little between the two teams. Galway won by a point last year despite Mayo missing 6 starters and Mayo won by two points this year despite Galway's numerous injuries.

They're two evenly matched sides who could beat any of the top counties on their day. Certainly not two bad teams.

Fully agree about Salthill but I'd build a new stadium in Athenry for both football and hurling. It's the perfect location in terms of motorway infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Mayo deserved winners. Really after their start to the 2nd half they should have won comfortably.

Disappointing to not get to Croke Park but really the year was over after last week. Winning here would just have kicked the can down the road.

Disappointing that we never got going this year as its a poor quality championship but too many players not delivering and relying on half fit players was always going to come back to bite us

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

There must be 6 to 8 acres in the stadium overall. Its worth a fortune. We don't need 2 stadiums though. One really good one in athenry and some funds put in to Tuam and Ballinasloe is the way they should go. At this stage the players in both codes should push to get the hell out of Salthill. Makes every home game a lottery. Thats before you take the traffic nightmare into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

They're only backs though. If Comer isn't there we've no directness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Bad result and dreadful performance, some of the chances missed in the first half were unforgivable. Not sure what's wrong with Walsh, his free kicking has gone to pot, the simple free in front of goal in the first half, how did he miss that?. Mayo not any better, won the game in the first ten minutes of the second half and didn't do much after that, hard to see them do much , definitely won't be winning an All Ireland. On that showing and last week Galway are better off out of it, we weren't going anywhere this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

Comers injury record is abysmal.

Can't rely on him,his bull through them wham bam style makes for exciting viewing but he needs to change it now as he gets older to prolong his intercounty career

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

My hole we got to an AI with a lot of things going our way last year. Whoever gets Mayo in the next round won’t be too worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

Disappointing, but not unexpected.Credit to the lads for fighting to the end.For some reason we never found the right combination or balance in attack this year even before Damos injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Charlie69

You seem very reluctant to give Shefflin any credit at all threeball. He might not be your cup of tea and that’s fair enough but he completely outwitted Cahill tactically yesterday and ensured the game was played on Galway’s terms.

It wasn’t Henry’s fault that Tipp were still in the game right up to the final whistle, the players should have ensured Galway were out of sight a lot earlier.

Most of the analysts are putting yesterday’s result down to a poor Tipp performance but I think that’s not giving enough credit to Galway and Shefflin.

• Advertisement

I think Concannon needs to go. O'Neill is over the backs is he? That's tight enough and tackling reasonably ok.

What obvious coaching is there in the forwards? It's obvious without Comer there's no structure. Kerry have played lovely slick stuff at times, we haven't once looked anything like they did in the Munster final. It's all one man shows.

Need a proper forwards coach.

He didn't tactically outwit anyone. He played the same way we've played against every other team except this Tipp team wasn't equipped to deal with it. He'll do the same against Limerick and we'll get wiped out. Tell me how any of our forwards are going to get change out of that Limerick back six lumping ball in on top of them. Its u13 level stuff. Just look at our results. Who have we beaten in league or championship except for teams that are no hopers.

And Tipp were septic. As bad as I've ever seen them and that's saying something after the waterford game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I’m not talking about Limerick I’m talking about yesterday’s game but I can see you’ve made your mind up about him already so I’ll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

To be fair I kind of half agree with you .they are 2 teams that are capable of more but rarely put on a display that puts fear into other teams. 100 percent agree on salt hill . It was impossible to score against the wind or what ever whirl it was throwing up today .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Where the hell did you get that narrative from my post?

My point was they are two good teams with very little between them. I never even mentioned Galway's path to the final last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

No complaints about the result. Mayo were the better team and we had plenty of chances to win it in the second half.

The talk of squad depth was clearly premature as PJ clearly doesn't trust Finnerty or Culhane. We don't have any forwards left then off the bench that have a notion of being intercounty standard.

Lot of talk afterwards about Kelly getting a stamp by O'Donoghue. I think in any top level sport you'll do what it takes to get an advantage. Was it dirty? yep. Would I do the same if I knew the opposition's best goal creator was carrying an injury? Absolutely.

I think Rob has been unlucky this year, he was a key part of the run to the final last year and should have been brought on at half time.

Ian Burke never found his form this season, the injury during the league definitely didnt help.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Tuam had the chance to get their act together to upgrade the stadium way back before pearse stadium was redeveloped and couldn't pull together, they lost the chance to Salthill who thankfully had people who could get their act together. Now there's a small stand coming and the chest is out looking for all the games

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mjp

With comer off the field we have no forward who can win primary possession or some dirty ball. Was evident during league game at home to Roscommon when he went off and was more of same today. Comers injury record is for discussion on another day. Whilst we have deeper squad there was nobody off the bench that you felt would make an impact or turn the game in our direction.

Serious questions need be asked how after winning the toss that we didn't elect to play against the wind in first half. Would allow us sit back and put pressure on mayo to see if they could build up a score with the wind and know what needed be done in 2nd half with gale behind us. This would have also gone some way to nullify the impact of mayos socring forwards like o Connor who we knew were going to come in last 20 mins .

Playing against the wind in first half has been blueprint for successes in Pearse over last number of years.

• Advertisement

That's very big of you. I'm a Mayo supporter but i would not be so understanding, if it is as bad as it looked.

His cards are marked for the next game anyway, he'll need to be impeccable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

It surely has to be acted on. Ref missed it cameras picked it up.....if a ban doesn't follow for that what message is being sent out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Sean's a great lad from a lovely family but he made headlines himself this year for a ridiculous dive against Monaghan in the League. Not condoning O'Donoghue's act by any means, as it was filthy and could've got him in big trouble, but I won't act high and mighty either pretending I wouldn't have been above similar if I heard a lad was carrying an injury. It's the dark arts aspect of top level sport.

O Donoghue was roaring back in John Maher's face at the final whistle too. Scut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

Ya...hes a classy bit of stuff.....its a long road

I dont think Tuam should get the games. They should downsize and go for quality. Picking up league games and club games. It'd be great regular business for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Would there be serious whipsers in official Galway GAA circles, i.e the county board about moving out of Salthill though ?

It's only been 20 years since it was redeveloped, and the wind and parking aside it's a lovely neat tidy stadium.

The site may have good commercial value but the rigmarole of going through all the planning etc of building in a place like Arhenry would not be worth it.

No the CB are full square behind Pearse. They think it promotes GAA in the city. There's no evidence to suggest it does. It was a pet project of Joe McDonagh but was never the right decision and has never been seen as home by either football or hurling supporters. 90% detest the place. There would be a ghra for it from places west of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Footballers couldn't get over the injury bug this year. Last year everyone was fit and available. This year Silke and Molloy lost before a ball was kicked. McHugh barely played in championship. That's half the defence gone from the final team last year. Patrick Kelly didn't play at all this year. Started the final last year. Finnerty was in and out with injury. Couldn't get a sustained run in the team because of it. And then Galway's two best players in Comer and Kelly get injured within a few days of each other and end up playing Mayo on one good leg each. Even if those two were fit I think it's very likely Galway win the game. They easily still could have had they taken their chances. Walsh misses two handy frees from straight in front of the posts with the wind behind him. Mayo take their goal chance while Tierney misses his one on one with the keeper.

Walsh's form a mystery. His free taking was top class last year. He missed a scatter of frees this year. Seems reluctant to take them from the ground any more. Missed a penalty against Armagh and generally seemed distracted and out of sorts all year. He needs to sort his head out as he's no spring chicken any more.

Despite a couple of bad turnovers in the 2nd half today, Cooke was one of Galway's best players this year. Got better and better the more he played. Can't say the same for Ian Burke who looks increasingly ineffectual at the top level. Hopefully they can convince Cooke to hang around again next year. I know his work often has him abroad.

Think they have another run to the final in them if everyone sticks around and they get the missing players back but they'll need better injury luck than they had this year. Probably need to sort out their finishing as well. Created so many goal chances this year but just weren't clinical at all. Just look at the last two games against Mayo. League final and today. 6 good goal chances over both games. 0 goals scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

But what's the point of debate here? Location or wind? Location, wrong, definitely, cross-city traffic will attest to that. Any other place in county Galway that the game would be played in, (or Castlebar for that matter), the wind factor would be just the same.

Advertisement