Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Madness.not to play with the wind in the first half with Carr & COC coming off our bench

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭LowOdour

On the stadium, it needs to be in/around the city for so many reasons but agree that Salthill is a dire location.

On the match, don't have too many complaints. They had chances in 2nd half but they picked the pass option when a shot was on. It's too conservative at times.

While a great talent, I've always been of the opinion that Shane Walsh is just not a reliable enough for someone with his skillset. Peter Cooke another who flatters to deceive. Add injury prone Cormer to the list and that's half a forward line that it's impossible to depend on.

PJ deserves another year, but has lots of work to do

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

I think the real Shane Walsh is somewhere between what we seen this year and last years final. We need to not have to rely on him so much in the coming year and have options for the frees. With the absence of so many players this year we have unearthed a few good ones, McGrath and hernon. Gleeson has improved hugely. There is room for improvement in the management of the team, the Armagh match looked poorly managed with the team sheets and doctors certs etc, it set a bad start to the match and we ended up where we were today unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

I'm sorry but gleeson has to go. They is a mistake in him every game. Mayo got there goal from a wayward kick out to paddy Duncan and there wasn't a galway man within 20 yards and made a poor effort to save it If Joyce is staying on, he needs to get ruthless, like for me McDaid is the first choice midfielder and shouldn't be moved around to accommodate other lads. Healey had a poor championship and still started him, some of his team selections were a bit daft and transition from defence to attack was allot slower ponderous than past year for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

Not true, salthill is always a wind tunnel. Very light breeze in North Galway yesterday. Nothing close to salthill. Salthill is always multiple times worse due to its location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Should DB go back on Gillane and revert GMC to 6? DB did relatively well there last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I don't think Salthill will ever feel like home for Galway GAA. It always leaves me with a cold feeling. For away fans on a summer day its a nice day out im sure but for me i cant ever warm to the place.

Most of the locals wouldn't even know a game was on most days never mind who was playing. It's a miserable place to play a game particularly on a wet day and Galway have never turned it into any kind of fortress in the 20 years since it opened. Our record is very bad there. Usually when we'd need to win a league game when in division 2 in particular we moved it to Tuam.

The stand is a joke. On a wet day it provides shelter for maybe 10-15% of the stand at best. The surface on the pitch is hit and miss at best. In terms of being neat and tidy the stand hasn't has any face-lift since it opened 20 years ago.

I'd honestly prefer going to Castlebar, Limerick, Tullamore etc then trying to navigate a day in and out to Pearse Stadium and I'd live a lot closer than those coming from the main hurling and football areas.

I don't see Galway ever moving from there unfortunately so we'll have to put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

I think I've calmed down enough to comment now :)

The first thing to say that of course we shouldn't have been in this position and should be looking forward to a quarter final this weekend. Going from beaten finalists to not even making the quarters is serious regression. One which would not be tolerated in Kerry and Dublin. Also the injury to Kelly cost us big time and a fit Kelly may have been the difference yesterday.

Deciding to play against the breeze in the first half was madness. The game was always going to start off helter-shelker and taking 15-20 minutes to settle down. You were making it difficult to rack up a lead in the first half to defend. Mayo are always good at chasing down a lead and building momentum that way. After their collapse the previous week, we should have put the pressure on their attack to score straight away.

Persisting with Gleeson was always going to cost us. Even though his kick outs improved, it led to a goal and he dived the wrong way for the goal. I don't understand gaelic goalies who do that. The guy coming through was a full back. Stand tall and make him score.

Too many passengers on the team when the going got tough again. Fair play to the youngsters like McGrath and Glynn that took the fight to them. Getting nothing out of senior players like Walsh and Heaney, etc., we were up against it. The time has come to stop comparing Walsh like Clifford, etc. He had one fantastic day out in the last 2 seasons, it just happened to be on All Ireland final day. Can't be relied upon to turn up. And Comer cannot be relied to stay fit. Need a couple of forwards, and a forwards coach too. 12 points in 70 minutes with a gale for one half is piss poor.

Think Joyce has taken us as far as he can. 3 poor seasons out of 4, 3 final loses in Croke Park in the last year. Not able to get the team over the line in tight games. Not sure who could take over but at least the question should be asked now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Just have a look over in the "Galway City" sub-forum here. They are an easily upset bunch on that forum but GAA and traffic are always particularly sore topics with them! There was a thread yesterday with someone wondering what was causing the traffic jams... like you say, a significant proportion of locals wouldn't even know the game is on and are mostly just irritated by the traffic and the kamikaze parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Salthill is an absolute disaster for Galway in both hurling and football, I doubt any other county has a county ground which doesn't give them some sort of an advantage. At best it's like a neutral ground, neither the football or hurling fraternity feel any real connection to it, plus it's location is so inaccessible compared to most other county grounds, most supporters would find it more convenient to go to Croke Part than to Pearse Stadium and a lot avoid going to Pearse Stadium altogether due to the chronic traffic jams. On top of that the locals don't know or care whose playing. Galway City must be one of the worst towns/cities in the country for supporting any type of sport, seems to be very little interest in any sports whatsoever in the city.

Instead of redeveloping Pearse Stadium in the first place, if they wanted a Stadium in the City, a new stadium on the East of the City close to the motorway would have been a better option. Too late now, we're stuck with it now for the foreseeable, as there's no other ground near capable of hosting big championship games. Even had they redeveloped Tuam properly 20 years ago and used it for both hurling and football it would have been a better option, wouldn't have been ideal for the hurling, but, I think better than Pearse Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Have to say I agree. It turned the game into a lottery yesterday and dictated the terms of the thing entirely. Would trees be a possibility to break the wind or something along those lines? Cant be helping galways case when they go to croke park either, it is so far removed from it that its like watching a different sport altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Tough luck to Galway yesterday. Injuries and a few players out of form caught up in the end. Think both teams can give anyone a battle on their day. The wind played a serious role in the game.

Just on the venue and the atmosphere.

While these may be small things they make a difference. They didn't seem to put much effort into creating an occasion at the venue. No one to sing the national anthem, no pre match, half time or final whistle music or entertainment etc. Lack of stalls/food on the terrace side etc.

Getting the pearse is a nightmare as all know but really shouldn't be. Simply not enough public transport going that direction on match days. Waiting fo buses heading to salthill that didn't arrive, ones that did were full, a farce for an event whose attendance was well known in advance. Is there a traffic plan associated with the venue?

Not much point bringing small kids either based on home much they can see from the terraces but this is an issue in any venue.

Edit: to add, Galway GAA simply don't have the resources for building a new stadium anywhere and to be fair it's only a handful of times in the year it is full, however they badly need to improve the facility and access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Galway are missing a huge trick by not having some sort of bar in Pearse Stadium. Doesn't even need to be anything more than a few portable pumps on matchday.

There'd be plenty if funds if they sold Salthill. The site is worth a fortune. We don't need a 30k stadium either. There's never close to that at Galway games. 20k would be far better and a pitch to croke Park standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't know if it's as simple as that. Zoning would be a big issue as would the current ownership model, don't SKGAA have some sort of interest in it?

If you look at what Louth GAA are doing, 14,000 capacity stadium for North of 25 million, you'd have to think that a 20K seater would be in the mid 30 mill bracket without land costs.

I don't think the county board could find that kinda wedge even selling Salthill, trying to justify that kind of spend would be difficult.

The whole city needs to get behind Pearse stadium. There's literally nowhere near enough public transport to it on match day, from park and rides or in general, a bit of a sprucing up of the venue itself and some modernisation is probably the best Galway can hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

No developer would take that site on.

The locals wouldn't even allow floodlights never mind the 300 extra houses that would be needed to viable. It would be held up for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

What was the attendance yesterday? Biggest crowd there I've seen in years, perhaps since the qualifier with Tipp' in 2003.

Re: traffic, the only real solution that may alleviate it would be the badly-needed city ring-road, but the left-wingers / Green party are fighting that tooth and nail. They did try park-and-ride from Carnmore airport a few years ago for a Connacht final, but it was a disaster as the buses got caught in traffic! Public transport from Eyre square isn't really feasible either as there are few dedicated bus lanes west of the city. Only practical solution is either go early and make a day long of it in Salthill or bring a fold-up bike in the boot, park east of the city and cycle across.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Is FB the right place for Sean Kelly? As an outsider, it seems a bit odd to play one of the best players in the country in there. There must be a half decent FB in Galway that could be played there instead and release him out the field

There was a big crowd yesterday but I personally hate the gaa practice of building a stadium to accommodate the once every 5 to 10yr attendance. The atmosphere at every other game suffers as a result. And if they really want to get people going to matches regularly they need to create a scarcity mindset. If people think there's going to be loads of tickets then they leave it til last minute and don't go at all. Alot to be said for a bit of fomo.

Unfortunately public transport doesn't resolve Pearses issues either as you said. Our club organised a bus to a few games and couldn't get there any quicker cos there's no bus lanes.

It's not going to change but it really should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I'd say Mulkerrin would've been at fullback if he didn't get that horrific injury. Eoghan Kelly was looking like the potential fullback before he got injured in the League and hasn't even benched since IIRC. I think even Davoren had a look in.

I think come FBD time they'll be trying out replacements and we'll see Kelly further outfield. I'd also like to see him given a break. He's been playing a relentless amount of games for club, county and college for the last few years.

Mulkerrin was lining up to take the FB role but got a bad knee injury early last year. He's back but obviously isn't doing enough to justify a place at the moment. We could really do with Kelly and McDaid at midfield, Maher as a back up. Cooke, conroy and Heaney in the HF line. Walsh, Comer and Tierney inside. Tierney could form a great partnership with Comer. We saw glimpses of it on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Totally agree.

Athenry & Tuam.

Build 1 to 25k and the other to 15k and we'd be laughing.

You're right in that at best Pearse Stadium is a neutral venue, thing is you'd probably get the guts of the two new stadium's above built from selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Tuam and Athenry are only 20 mins from one another. It'd be crazy to build two stadiums, one for each code.

It's Salthill for the foreseeable unfortunately.

Realistically that's not going to happen, Pearse Stadium it is for the foreseeable future. The decision to develop Pearse Stadium was the wrong one, I can see why they went with it, trying to get the GAA to grow in the city, but, Galway city is a really poor city for supporting sport, look at Galway United, very low attendances, Connacht the same, most rugby followers would be from outside the city. Compared to the likes of Limerick and Cork who show great support for their teams for a number of sports.

Tuam really was the pitch to develop instead of Pearse Stadium, they could have got it to around the 25,000 mark and would do both the hurling and football, probably not ideal for the hurling, but, with the motorway it's fairly easy to get to from the hurling heartlands in the south of the county and even from other counties. Pearse Stadium could have been redeveloped into a 10,000 capacity and play a few league games in there. Too late now, can't really abandon Pearse Stadium now and can't afford to redevelop any other pitch to get to a reasonable capacity of say 15,000. We are stuck with Pearse Stadium whether we like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bike2wkr

They'll be in same position again next year unless Joyce starts getting ruthless. Walsh was having very bad game. Why not give the frees to Matthew Tierney? Take him off . Mayo dropped ruane and the fullback. Comer is good but his game is unsustainable. Who burrows through like him. He still only gets a few points and is generally injured.

Overall they still are missing in the final third. John Maher and Peter cooke were good additions to the squad for physicality this season. They missed Patrick Kelly is he injured?

Just like the final against Kerry last year. They get the ball to the final third but haven't got the guile to take the scores. They need to find 3 to 4 new forwards who can get you 3 to 4 points each per game and who can put in a shift.

Get a forwards coach and come up with some new attacking patterns. I have it say that mayo goalkeeper has won the game for then the last 2 meetings between his off the ball tackle in league final(should have been sent off) and 1 on 1 save early in second half the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

Now the footballers are out you would hope the hurlers get lots of support against limerick.

There's a fair bit that needs to be done with the team, but, the raw materials are there, I'm not too sure Joyce is the right man to get the best out of them. We need to sort out the goalkeeper position, a full back to free up Kelly, and the ball needs to be moved faster up the field, we are too ponderous moving the ball forward, allowing the opposition time to set up defensively and making it difficult to breakdown the opposition. In the first half we completely dominated the last 20 mins, but, had only 8 points to show for it, similar against Armagh and Roscommon, we need to be scoring more heavily when on top, rather than just holding on to possession. We also seem to fall asleep after half time, happened against Roscommon, Armagh and Mayo, so something not right there.

Walsh is a fantastic talent, but, was clearly out of form for whatever reason this year. The free taking duties should have been taken off him on Sunday as he was clearly not playing well. Could Tierney have taken over free taking duties, rather than taking him off? Reliable free taking at inter County level is invaluable, can't be overestimated, as we know from the last 2 matches it's often the difference between winning and Losing. Comer's injuries are a huge problem too, seems to be always coming back from an injury or minding him in case he gets injured. A fully fit Comer makes us contenders, but, we have to find a way to play without him as he's likely to continue to keep picking up injuries. Ian Burke doesn't seem to be bringing anything to the team, probably not worth persisting with him at this level.

We're not that far away, but, still a lot of work needs to be done, a few positional changes, move the ball faster and take our chances. Obviously need our key players to stay fit and in form to give ourselves a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

@Girly Gal, I'd be inclined to stick with PJ though it's a close call, but the backroom team needs a major shake up, there's at least one lad there who brings very little to the table imv a forwards coach to compliment Cian would be a start, sideline has been far too slow to make changes in-game, too much whispering in the ear, too much consultation,too many cooks, oftentimes it's too late when the changes are made and the game is going away from us... Also S&C needs a look at, it's all too cosy and cliqueish on the bench... Start from there imv and start now not in November 🇱🇻

• Advertisement

PJ has had 1 good season out of 4, he has the best crop of players we've had for a while and seems to have gone backwards this season. He'll probably be kept on, I'm not saying he needs to win an All Ireland, but, he needs to be getting the best out of what he has, certainly hasn't done that this year.

Advertisement