Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

• Registered Users Posts: 82,248 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could you say there's a strong bang of 'mild' money laundering off the payments? I know the money was clean to begin with but trailwise the final destination has been covered up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dee Forbes has resigned, get out of jail clause

• Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭zell12

07:30 Dee Forbes quits with immediate effect

..which means no requirement to appear before Oireachtas Committee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

think it’s about time we #defundrte but I’m sure it will be #defendrte instead, course it will, sure what would we all do without the state’s mouthpiece media??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Well she doesn't care as her contract was due to end in July anyways, she has been in RTE since 2016.

1 down many more to go, the whole board should resign or be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Looks as if they were using her for a scapegoat anyway.

She was the head honcho, who else exactly is there to be responsible for this?

You know when you’re in charge, you don’t have to do what your predecessors did…… so sorry, but that doesn’t wash with me, at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The various Ministers for Arts & Media over the years

Her position is she didn't know anything about it. So not sure what usefulness she'd be anyway at a committee hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,555 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I said this years ago around the time Bertie Aherne claimed not to have a bank account, but the unquestioned/punished actions of high level politicians like Haughey, Aherne and plenty more like them across the parties really give carte blance for the morally flexible in society to justify their own dodgy dealings. We really are a soft touch with this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,555 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Nah, limit pay to 200k for the 'top' earners. Hard to listen to someone on a half a mill a year pontificate to the rest of us. If another broadcaster comes calling, let them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Forbes seemed to outline clearly enough the situation.

Appears to me not much more than Tubridy doing a deal separately to his RTE contract (albeit with RTE involved); and of course folks knee-deep trying to pick every detail apart to make it a big scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭KevRossi

She resigns and misses out on a week's wages as a result. Good riddance to her, she did nothing to bring rampant waste, incompetence and nepotism in RTE under control.

I assume we'll see her as head of some Quango or other state body. She has a fair bit of dirt on a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If that’s the reason behind resigning, it’s quite disgraceful. Maybe though she now intends to contribute as a private citizen and unfettered by her duties to RTÉ? Maybe? Possibly??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

So much for getting answers and accountability, Dee resigns, is that it then? She signs off by having a swipe at the RTE boards for not having respect for her as a colleague or person during the process which she claims has had a negative effect on her well being. So typical deflection tactics, she’s now the victim in all this. Amazing how so many people appointed to important jobs where they are paid well and therefore supposed to take responsibility and be accountable, never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Greece. Government in Israel is looking at theirs. It will not be just "Tubsidy" payments but a combination of factors, RTE and other broadcast media have been losing relevance with the public since their heyday, let's call it the "Gay Byrne" era for want of a better term. Even the BBC funding model and its future are in question. There was some controversy earlier this year around GAA matches and RTE, I did not pay it much attention. It seems whether the public who watch RTE, and those who don't, want it change is coming, the Montrose begging bowl will not be allowed to continue in its current form indefinitely recycling clips from times past.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

RTE are fully involved in the misappropriation of tax payer money.

They went well out of their way to try not to leave a paper trail.

This is a big scandal.

Dee Forbes and the rest of the board are ultimately responsible - if she did nothing wrong she’d be clearing her name - not running for the hills. She would probably like to remain somewhat attractive as a hire for tv stations like discovery where she worked in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He colluded with other within the organisation to cause the board to publish misleading information which they were legally required to publish.

It takes two to tango, one cannot be left holding the baby.

If Tubridy had behaved ethnically and said at the contract stage ''sorry no can do I required full wages to be paid directly to me': then he would not be in this more.

The people in RTE involved, Tubridy, NK etc are all culpable

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The last 4 words of your second sentence are redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

She says the Board knew about these dealings.

This is probably why none of them are making any public comment.

It's even harder now to believe that Tubridy wasn't aware of this arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

So many people had their incomes decimated during covid. Ryan went demanding the 75k for each of the two covid years. Such empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Morning Ireland saying that the Catherine Martin report will take 7 months. That's next year. Typical kick the can down the road and hope people forget or release the report when something else is making headlines.

I wonder will Dee Forbes turn up to the PAC.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Tubridy will be due another statement this week...

His time is up.....

Post edited by StevenToast on

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

How could they possibly know how long a report would take, I agree with you fully. It’s like they decided that would be sufficient.

sure how would they even have estimates back from the people doing the reports since the story only really broke on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭SteM

They can have my TV license fee in 7 months then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭Trampas

The board should not accept her resignation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

She gets to keep her pension I bet.

Is she resigning as director at GAAGO?

She negotiated the deal it seems with the sponsor and RT agent and that RTE would gaurentee the deal and is then surprised when the sponsor pulled out. I don't think I would want some with that level of negotiations skills working in any company when you could see what might happen.

No mention of why it wasn't included in RT earnings from RTE.

They all seem the think RT is an irreplaceable presenter.

RT probably hasn't done anything wrong on the contract side but has lied to the public and his "paycuts".

If RTE are struggling to find a way to get rid due to contract clauses. They should just put him back on air and watch his listenership numbers drop like a stone and use that to get rid of him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement