Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

They beat one of the best teams in the country ,playng very poor and missing a few players .Imo Mayo have every chance of going all the way ,there not a patch on the great team from a few years ago but that does not mean they cant get over the line this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It's been said a few times here but the wind was absolutely vicious. Maybe it wasn't as obvious on TV but it really effected both teams. Galway had similar issues in the second half.

We started well outta the traps and I genuinely think once the effort needed to score was determined (the shooting circle was well in) we literally slowed the game down where we could and wasted time in order to limit their opportunities with the wind. Galway should have been more up at HT but they weren't and lost Comer, who had the beating of his marker but they didn't make enough hay from it.

Second half we came outta the traps and put in some great scores with the wind.

Galways injuries eventually caught up with them and their key player having a major dip in form since last year (Walsh) was hard to recover from. They had a great year last year but came out the right side of injuries and the draw.

There's serious potential with Mayo as there is every year and at the same time we don't know where we are at really after losing to Cork and Roscommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

The more the dust settles on that game the more I think that Galway fluffed it more than Mayo won it. Losing Comer was a big blow to them but an even bigger blow was Walsh not being able to convert, as well as the number of wides they had.

Galway should have been out the gap at half time but Comer blasting the ball straight at Reape and then then Walsh having a meltdown under a little pressure. in the first half Galway scored 8 from 15 attempts in the first half, scoring 5 from 10 from play, and 3 from 5 placed balls. At least 2 of the frees he missed were meat and drink to a good free taker.

Add to that they dominated midfield, and our kickouts, but couldn't make the significant opportunities that were presented to them count on the scoreboard.

We certainly had a very large slice of luck with all of that. On the positives Callinan kept Walsh scoreless from play, McBrien took what was probably our only goal chance, and for a change, we were accurate. Sure we had 5 wides in the first half against the gale, but we had only the 1 from play and 1 45 going astray in the second.

We're not usually the ones to be saying that after a game. But I'll take it, we're still in the championship for now, and that's what counts.

Well that draw had a bit of inevitability about it. Dublin probably suits us more than Derry who setup in a manner we just can't break down.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

At least with drawing Dublin you know the game will be fixed for 4 o'clock on Sunday and you can start planning straight away!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭MacDanger

My thoughts exactly - Derry would have been a bad draw for us IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Beat Galway in the prelims, then Dublin in the quarters, then Kerry in the semis, only to lose to Monaghan in the final... 🤣😭

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

how much more space is there in croke park vs salthill?

refer to post 6177 for the answer. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Players refer to Croker playing big, that's what is meant by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

All very true and yet it was the same after the league final, a feeling Galway left it after them but that’s three wins over Galway this year & I do think the wind really skewed a lot of our stats yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

. ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Dublin it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Never in doubt ffs

There is absolutely no way we should agree to anything other than the second throw in on Sunday 

It’s a good job they didn’t know the draw on the Sunday game or the cccc would be after Rod now

The wind was a huge factor - Tommy Conroy's first effort made that clear to me from the start that it was having an impact. We were fortunate that were able to make better use of it than our hosts.

I think there's an element for PJ that his hatred of Mayo clouds his judgement. I believe it was mentioned on one of the podcasts when we drew with Galway in the league that you could see how much he felt the need to get one over on us, and that if it meant that much to him that it really meant too much. I'm sure that has to feed into the dressing room too.

PJ was an outstanding player but I 'm not convinced he's cut out for management.

How do we fix our problems at MF? In fairness, McStay rang the changes yesterday but we were absolutely cleaned out on winning clean balls and breaks - taken from Gaelic Statsman on twitter, we won less than half of our own (10/21) and only 2/16 of Galway's kickouts. 61% conversion rate was v good though (compared to 48% for Galway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

Its the speed of the the ball of the surface I think rather than the size of the field

We have to do some work on the kickouts. Galway flooded the midfield and were able to mop up the breaking ball. Thankfully they weren't able to convert it on the scoreboard.

Jack Carney was off his game yesterday and we have become very dependant on Matty in midfield. Hopefully Matty can raise his game or recover from the food poisoning or whatever it was that's held him back the last 2 outings.

Lads talking about how it Galway were unlucky with injuries need to look at PJ, he has run injured players into the ground on a consistent basis.

A real basic and bitter manager who fails to see the bigger picture. I'm not sure how he has gotten away with it, but he has a lot of built-up credit from his playing days I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Tbh, I did jump the gun, but I'm a long time watching Mayo and have seen a lot of the same failings time and again, and a lot were on display yesterday too. The win didn't fill me with confidence even though I'm delighted they pulled it off - but there were and are caveats to it. Can only beat what is in front of you of course, but we still made fairly hard work of it at times and I didn't see a whole pile of evidence that we won't have similar problems the next day. We really, really struggled on our own kickout especially, even in the second half, and I would worry about that going forward. Any team will struggle to score enough if their midfield can't control a game.

It was definitely a big call to drop Ruane, but the right one imo and I'm glad the management had the guts to make it, on Loftus too. These aren't easy decisions.

Putting myself at risk of getting shot down in flames, but does anyone reckon our lack of breaking ball winning was down to not having Loftus there to do it?. He does usually mop up a fair bit when he's on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Fenton, Howard, McCarthy, Bugler, Kilkenny etc. will make hay on our kick-outs if we do what we did yesterday.

Galway pressed our kickouts, but not overly aggressive. In many games, when the teams kickout is being high-pressed, they have some strategies in place whereby the backs will make the appropriate runs for the short kickout. Mayo didn't do that - they gave very little option to Reape. On the kick-outs, most of the backs just stood in position and it was like they had resigned themselves that there was a Galway lad in the vicinity, so there was nothing that could be done. They need to work on some strategy here. They cannot just bank on a long kick-out every time a team pushes up.

A lot has been said about the breeze, and rightly so. It really is a game of 2 halves in Pearce. But Mayo made so so many mistakes in the first half - hand passing out over the sideline, lads bumping into each other, spilling the ball etc. They have had 3 below average performances. But with the league performances under their belt, I still feel there's a really good game in these guys yet. And hopefully it will click together on Sunday. I was at a few Dublin games, and they look quite sluggish so far - not great pace in the team as a whole. Mayo can't afford to play as loose as they typically do - they will need to close off space in front of Con O'Callaghan. That is generally their outlet. If we can limit that, the rest of the forwards don't offer a huge test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

AOS and Bob Touhy in midfield to try and nullify McCarthy and Fentons athleticism. Mayo did very well to win without a midfield yesterday. Dublin will run over us like a freight train if we set up like yesterday. For me this is the weakest Mayo squad in over a decade and any other county would consider a league win and QF a huge success in 1st year of what is a new development. If Mayo get beaten convincingly which ai think they will the same old clichéd insults will be flunģ at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

AOS in midfield is a non-runner.

He simply doesn't have the legs for it any more; leave him where he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

The first half kickouts yesterday were horrendous, seemed to be trying the same thing over and over again with the same result. Hession coming on at half time definitely seemed to help with this, think he got 2 short ones himself, and his movement made it less difficult for Reape to find a man.

Despite his form you'd think Ruane has to come back in really, we're badly stuck around the middle. As for the backs, would love to see Hession in for McLaughlin and then the other 5 that started yesterday.

The one thing about Dublin that will suit us to an extent is that they'll come out and play football, no defensive aul sh*te from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Paddy Power have Kerry Tyrone down for 1 45 on Sunday, and us at 4

Would be delighted if that happens but I can't see them having the two higher profile games on together (unless they'd do it that way to avoid people complaining about GAAGO?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

That is the least likely pairing if games imo

They will be the second Saturday game and ours will be the second Sunday game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

There no risk that the powers that be will see the chance of a Saturday Evening sellout and screw us over with 7pm Saturday and 6 day turnaround?

Every chance but hopefully they're not stupid enough to make it that obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

With all due respect o don't know why people continue to quote PP when talking about fixtures.

It's just a place holder in PP.

Nothing is guaranteed until the CCCC say so later today.

AOS and Touhy... To combat Dublin's athleticism... In what way exactly? AOS isn't a mobile midfielder and Touhy has a few years to go to be up to pace imo. They would be my least likely pairing to play against Dublin.

Ruane and Flynn would be my pairing. Ruane hasn't been at the races for most of the year but he's built for running up and down Croke Park.

Ruane would be one of my first choice on the 15 to start once it's Dublin in Croke Park. AOS in midfield won't work, and he never does well against the Dubs. I'd bring him on as a sub rather than start him the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Ruane has a great engine but the issues with midfield were there when he was starting. He can't seem to cleanly field a ball, which is literally the problem with everyone in that area of the team at the moment and it's a huge part of why we're losing the kickouts. We are struggling on primary possession and the breaking ball. Dublin will press like crazy the next day, so we need to have some plan.

For a lad his size, Ruane doesn't win enough high ball imo... But I can't remember the last time a game against Dublin was all about winning kickouts in midfield.

Galway are a very strong fielding side, and the wind funnel from yesterday won't be seen again this year. Plenty of things for us to be worried about but I wouldn't be getting too caught up on the kickout stats from yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

02.07.2023 (Sun)

GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Quarter-Finals

Páirc an Chrócaigh 13:45 Derry v Cork RTE

Referee: Joe McQuillan, An Cabhán (E.T. & Winner on the Day)

Páirc an Chrócaigh 16:00 Dublin v Mayo RTE

Referee: David Gough, An Mhí (E.T. & Winner on the Day)

4pm Sunday confirmed with David Gough as ref, and Cork vs Derry the opening game on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Ya your probably right about Touhy and right about AOS too nowadays I suppose. I just think we need height in the middle third. We had nobody to field a hig ball yesterday and Reapes kickouts were a shambles because he had no outlet. We didn't win much breaking ball there either. Looking back it's hard figure how we did win. But ya Touhy too inexperienced and Aiden not mobile enough. The more I think on it the more I think Dublin will win pulling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

Dublin yet to be tested against top team . Only team to remain from leinster and their round Robin group so their opposition have proved to be weak . 3 from our group still in it ,so we have plenty of competitive games behind us, which will stand to us .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Valid question/hypothesis but wouldn't think it had too much to do with it.

Conor wins the odd break in there, as does DOC/Paddy/Stephen/Jack (Coyne and Carney)/Jordan/Mattie/Fionn/Enda/Aido/the rest. Or, at least, usually they do. We were just getting well beat to them yesterday. Partly strategy (Galway frequently outnumbered us heavily at the break), partly outmuscled or outbattled (Conor might have helped on that one relative to Jason/Kevin), partly bad luck (with balls just breaking the wrong side or an inch or two out of reach) and a few times too often simply fumbled/dropped when it could/should have been a clean catch.

Easy to get caught up with the statistics and see it as a big trend that might potentially have a singular cause but it was a pattern that emerged from a few different issues/mistakes/losses repeating independently rather than that one specific thing (unless we want to say lack of individuals able to win their 1v1 matchups aerially but again, wouldn't imagine Conor alone could make much impact there).

I'd tend to give Galway full credit on this one. They worked incredibly hard to prevent the easy short ones or lads breaking at pace to space unmarked (aided by the breeze which made the accuracy on anything less than a give-me too risky to try) and then used their height and physicality around the middle to bully us. Nobody else left in the competition has that height/physicality though (they were probably the best at this last year too even without Cooke) so wouldn't be 'as' worried going into a future game of it breaking in quite the same manner, especially without the Salthill wind tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

So far this Mayo squad have won a division 1 title and beaten Kerry and Galway away in championship.

I think that compares quite favourably with any previous squads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I watched the galway game back and have to say that they threw it away in the first half to a level that is hard to fathom. If the roles were reversed and it was mayo that was guilty of what galway were in the game, they would be getting called bottlers and worse from every corner, and it would be hard to disagree.

While on the subject of galway, how many more games need to be totally dictacted by the wind in salthill before they do something about it? If it isnt fit for purpose at the height of summer, they should forget about it for intercounty games.

Also, this stuff with odonoghue on kelly is nonsense. Cant see the incident properly for a start. Was it just a light tap as a warning for something kelly was at 10 seconds earlier? Was it even on the ankle?

Personally, I think if you are that injured that a light contact could do that much damage then you shouldnt be playing, and his management team have let him down by selecting him. I recall c oconnor's dislocated shoulder in 2013. When he got back for the final, the first thing he got was an almightly belt of a shoulder from one of the dublin defenders. It was a ruthless hit. If his shoulder wasnt right it could have ended his days as a footballer. But he was on the pitch and if the guy next to him could be hit with it then why shouldnt he be hit with it also? I dont think you should expect people to treat you with kids gloves because you had an injury. If rod taps hernons ankle with his foot there is no furore, so why shouldnt he be able to do it for kelly? If he isnt fit take him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Joyce shows absolutely zero duty of care towards his players.

His whinge after the match was another low point for him.

An egotistical moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

What did he say? Only interview I saw he seemed to be taking it on the chin and acknowledging it was their own fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

There's a difference between a fair shoulder and a sly, calculated rake down on a players injured leg. What ROD did was mean and unworthy of him and hopefully out of character.

I've been at plenty of games in Castlebar which have also been dictated by the wind. Learning how to play, and score, into the elements is one of the fundamental challenges of playing GAA. Mayo had no difficulty in the opening 8 minutes yesterday with this aspect.

• Advertisement

Watched the game back there, a few things I noted:

- we got hands on 5 kickouts in the first half (at least 3, maybe 4 in the 2nd) that we lost, small margins

- the ref did well when both teams were trying to waste time with "head injuries"

- Galway were 7-3 up after 21 mins, only got 1 point for the rest of the half, brutal from their point of view

- Diarmuid should have had a black in the first half, v lucky to get away with it

- Eoghan Mc needs some 1-1 coaching, he's very poor at a lot of the basic techniques

- we were 1-9 to 9 up in the 58th min, only got 1 more point (Carr in the 72nd min), poor enough

- conceding the kickouts was a good strategy, not something we usually do but it worked

- after we lost 3 kickouts in a row and Galway brought it back to 1 point, Hession came short for the kickout which ultimately lead to Carr's point, brilliant leadership from him

- Paddy Durcan was motm for me, he was phenomenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

Kelly wasn't fit to play and it showed,Joyce has done this continually down the years and its never worked with injured players.Plenty of examples of poor judgement by him (his whinging about the ref being another)

I don't know did Ryan try to go for kellys ankle and I dont care either way.Kill or be killed at this level,we've been on the receiving end enough times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Fair enough, don't gripe so when you are on the receiving end of it again. Donal Vaughan exacting retribution arguably cost ye the AI final in 2017.

Who has Joyce picked before that was injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

I don't watch all that many galway games but Comer v Tyrone this year and Comer off the bench v Mayo in 2020 Connaught final when he was so fcuked he was out of breath by the time he ran into position.

Leaving Walsh on v Mayo in 2021 Connaught final in Croker (after Walsh had decided to instigate a tussle with O Hora and came off second best to say the least)

Leaving Kelly on the last day versus Armagh when he was in serious trouble.Starting Kelly against Mayo,playing Comer against Mayo,I could probably go on.

Do you watch a lot of football?

this is the mayo thread and there is a quarter final in 5 days, why are you discussing another county managers selections over the last 3 years. You are usually the first person to moan about this sort of stuff

• Advertisement
Advertisement