Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Doc07

They will though as she can the. Be blamed for most of this.

I don’t think any side (RTÉ or Minster/Dept) is in any doubt that the resignation is mostly to allow her avoid turn up this week at PAC and it comes with no financial penalty at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nah

They don't just do the presenting bit with no back ground work. They will be engaged in rehearsals, meeting with researchers, meeting with producers, having team meetings to come up with ideas, having discussions to look at what angle to take etc etc.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭rock22

@irishgeo "RT probably hasn't done anything wrong on the contract side but has lied to the public and his "paycuts"."

Engineering an under the counter payment when all other employees are taking a paycut.? And pretending nothing happened?

We have different ideas ideas of 'doing something wrong'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The worst Director General in the history of RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

When incorrect salary figures were reported, RT should have attempted to correct the record. By not doing so, he is letting RTE lie on his behalf. It's very bad form.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

@irishgeo You have a lot more faith in the public than I do. If anything, morbid curiosity combined with deluded brand loyalty would ensure Tubs a bonanza of listeners should he return.

From there he could turn up the heat and play the victim card to the max. A snivelling on air apology talking about all the trauma he and his kids suffered since last week? He'd be good to go.

We're still not clear on why fake numbers were reported for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Noel Curran was pretty bad, and if some of these relate to his time at the broadcaster he might be under pressure to leave the EBU.

I suppose we should say First Woman, First Suspection from the role and first resignation from the role! lots of firsts. I suppose that misogynistic of me.

Can't see Kevin Bakhurst leading this organisation for long.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What? Do you think the report will only take a few weeks? And who do you think is kicking the can - Catherine Martin (who has nothing to gain by doing so)? Jebus, would some people not think before they post daft nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I'm a bit confused is the discussion about his contracts with RTE and RTE contracts with him slopy management or is it a rant about whether he has any talent (a debatable point as opinions difference) combined with a rant about his personality. Honourable mention to the rants about RTE/Irish media in general and it's left wing bias (in the posters opinion anyway) Maybe it should be divided in two threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Crafty move by Ms Forbes.

This is a move to make sure she never appears in front of anyone to answer any questions.

She will just melt off into the distance now, leaving a war zone behind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

This part of Dee Forbes' resignation statement imo puts Tubridy in a dangerous spot:

"As Director General, I led the discussions with the agent for Ryan Tubridy together with other RTÉ senior executives. We were keen to make a cost saving for RTÉ in respect of a contractual payment which was due to be paid. At the same time, we were attempting to retain Ryan Tubridy’s services as a valued presenter and negotiate a new contract, with the agreed 15% cost cutting target in mind. In an effort to find a solution to the budgetary challenges, we explored if a long serving commercial partner might take on a commercial relationship directly with Ryan Tubridy."

It indicates that rather than just accepting the 15% pay cut (which all RTE talent was supposed to be getting), there was instead a risk during contract negotiation of Tubridy leaving which caused RTE to have to seek other measures to ensure they can technically cut his salary by 15%, but find another way to get him more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Calm yourself. This is the second report Martin will need on the matter. Morning Ireland questioned why it would take so long and the TD being interviewed said it might be sooner.

Minister made aware in March about RTÉ irregularities, but didn't know it involved Ryan Tubridy (thejournal.ie)

MEDIA MINISTER CATHERINE MARTIN has said she became aware in March that there was an issue in RTÉ’s accounts. 

Speaking to reporters today, she said she was told in March that an issue had arisen in their “routine annual audit” and that a “fact-finding review” was being established to get to the bottom of it. 

“That is all I knew in March. And I awaited then for the report,” she said.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Don’t mention the thing

bit disappointed with Callan

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

”At least with a DD you can forget about it once it’s set up”……that is the one thing you cannot do if you are on low income……….you think about all the DD’s coming out every single week and what you have (if any) coming in, you worry about if any of your payments will bounce, which ones, and what will be the consequences.

I have been that soldier, I have experienced that worry. And more than once or twice.

The point I am making, is that the majority of people who have signed up to a TVLicence DD did it because it was handy rather than poverty. Nobody in poverty signs up to another DD unless they really really have no choice, as they now lose control of when the money leaves the account.

How people pay their TV licence doesn’t bother me at all. But if you signed a DD mandate, you don’t have as much control as you may think, and looking at the T&C’s in the link provided by another poster……if you cancel, you are required to pay for it in full immediately.

If you protest and cancel the DD……and say in two years you wish to reinstate the DD…..all the arrears come out in the first payment. Just read their T&C’s, in my honest opinion cancelling a DD for 13.33 per month really isn’t worth the hassle.

I don’t work for RTE or An Post and I resent paying for a licence for a service I don’t use.

He can’t go back on air due to impartiality, ie he would have to ignore the big news story

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

You don't resign unless you've done something wrong. She can p*ss off with the whining about how she has been treated by RTE. Another tone deaf self entitled twat who was over paid and under performed to disastrous levels. If she has to have her resignation rejected to face the music by those to whom she answers it should be rejected.

If her pension cannot be stopped then I hope she is shunned by the public. She had brass neck crying about the license fee while signing off on extra payments for a presenter we were told had taken a pay cut. For the record until Tubridy hands back the 345k he too should be publicly shunned too. If the authorities won't make these cretins accountable for their actions may they suffer public aprobrium.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Tubridy might, in some moral sense, be responsible to his public, however I don't think RTE (and I think this was your earlier point) hold him accountable since they themselves were a willing party to this arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭archfi

*Shyster alert*

*Buzzword 'equity' alert.*

*Buzzword 'wellbeing' alert*

This from a high-flying executive, I mean what are high-flying executives like these days.

How dare she be pulled up about a dodgy practice she was deeply involved in as Director General of a public service organisation - the cheek of the unfairness, disrespectfulness and inequity!

"In her statement this morning, Ms Forbes said that she feels the RTÉ Board has not treated her with "anything approaching the levels of fairness, equity and respect that anyone should expect as an employee, a colleague or a person".

"All of this has had a very serious and ongoing impact on my health and wellbeing," she said."

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I think Dee had no other choice.

she was already suspended by the board.

if she went to the PAC - she could no longer speak on behalf of the board.

Ivan Yates on Newstalk lamenting Dee Forbes and Moya Doherty as the worst tenure in the history of RTE.

All Dee Forbes did for 7 years was ask for an increase in the licence fee and make secret deals with Ryan Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭feelings

Good riddance. There has to be a full public investigation into this scandal. And all RTE presenters with similar pay arrangements exposed. You can be sure there are more at this craic.

It'll be interesting to see if Claire Byrne is back today after missing last Thursday and Friday without explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Where was everyone when we on boards were saying this for the last 7 years. FFS. Fup off. Morans all of them.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

I’m baffled throughout all of this as to why RTÉ execs seemed to live in abject fear of Tubridy quitting and going elsewhere. He is mediocre. Everyone can see this. Why not call his bluff?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

No promo's for her show over the w/e, no piece about the show on MI - listen out for the allcare pharm 'stings' (or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What has the Liveline Theead page got to do with this topic involving Dee Forbes, Noel Kelly, Tubs, and RTÉ?

Nothing.

There’s been some amount of attempted deflection on this thread, but that’s up there.

• Advertisement

When Tubridy moved to 2FM back a few years ago, his ratings were no good. So they moved him back to RTE Radio One in the nice cushy number after Morning Ireland. His 2FM stint proved he wasn't that great or popular with the public.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement