Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Exactly this. While Mayo have been up and down recently enough as well, I think that they're at a higher standard than us. I also think the man on the sideline is better, and I very much doubted McStay as a manager when he got the job.

It's one of those games that's going to define how the manager is remembered I think, can't see either of them staying long after a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

When are tickets on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

We are nowhere near our form of a few years ago. I’ve been at most our home games this season and a couple away, I don’t know how the game is considered 50/50. When was the last time in the championship Dublin knocked out an all ireland favourite like Galway? we could barely beat Kildare in Leinster.

For all the talk of poor Mayo , there’s been plenty of seasons they’ve sort of stumbled into finals , getting better as the tournament has gone on. I’m looking forward to the game but we have no real honest idea if this Dublin team are gonna step up to the standard they will need at weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

High pressure kickout press and dominate midfield Dublin will win by 3-4 points easy.

Mayo have a shocking midfield in terms of ball winners and only a handful of forwards that can score

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Mayo scored 1-19 v Kerry in Killarney , against a poor Dublin defense i can see them putting up a bigger score , Can Dublin out score them ?

Not from what i have seen this year anyway .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

i think they should be favourites to be honest. It is probably the worst draw option for Dublin bar Kerry.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I agree with ya I wouldn't be confident at all, Mayo's problem is mainly between the ears, they have the raw material there though - pace power. Plus Dublin play open stuff which should suit Mayo. Dublin have a load of issues which Mayo should expose if they get themselves going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,858 ✭✭✭billyhead

Dublin are going into this game relatively undercooked. They haven't been tested yet whereas Mayo will be more battle hardened. I wouldn't rule out another day for the teams in Croker because I see it ending in a 1 point win either way or a draw.

I agree with you on the undercooked thing v momentum etc. That is another thing that worries me.

I would be even` more worried if Mayo put Aidan O'Shea in the forwards, he seems much less effective in midfield. Simply lamping ball into him in the forwards could really exploit that Dublin backline.`

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

If we knew what version of Dublin where going to turn up it would be easier to judge the game but who knows!

What I've seen of Mayo this year is no better than Dublin in that they have had very mixed performances and totally switched off at times in games. I think they got lucky yesterday that Galway lost Comer and Walsh hasn't really turned up this season. Mayo had a few minutes at the start of both halves then did very little for the rest of the game. There not the team that pushed us so hard in previous years but Dublin are no where near the level they once where either so its anyone's guess what is gonna happen!

I still think if we turn up and have a good day we should be comfortably winning but its all ifs atm. That Dublin team has the edge in the sense there's top players there who have done it many times before you would hope it will make the difference in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Dublin 5/2 (outright), Kerry 9/4, Mayo 11/2 and Tyrone 12/1 with PP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I know Dessie is on thin ice. But this is McStay's first year in charge. His team have already won the league. We thought last year when we got knocked out of championship by Kerry, that the team were really low, and it would take at least a few years to get anything decent together. Instead, less than a year later, we are in the quarter finals, having beaten Kerry and Galway along the way, and facing the mighty dubs. When we take stock, we (Mayo) have had a much better than expected year. If Mayo lose on Sunday, it will be disappointing. But a very decent year all round.

I honestly started laughing when I saw this Dublin should be fourth or fifth by right when you factor in panel, form, sideline, tactics, momentum.

5/2 is because the bookies are worried Dubs will back Dublin and they could be cleaned out- that is only a numbers thing. Nothing to do with the reality of the situation at all,

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Kerry never once aggressively pushed up on their kickouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

I had mixed views on the best draw for Dublin, Monaghan and Cork were the weaker teams to draw but I think Dublin need a tough match to bring them on but a tough draw brings high risks.

Both teams have been a bit up and down, and I think Mayo can get joy against Dublin's back line and as others have mentioned momentum is with Mayo. It looks like Farrell has been managing Dublin's run for this period, they have three games to perform in starting next Sunday, Dublin should win but it'll be tight.

I'd be more worried if they didn't play him.

Every year I read AOS is fitter than ever. AOS is sharper than ever. It's like a broken record at this stage.

Not saying you're wrong about what could happen and I would put mayo as favs whether he plays or not but I just wish mayo would put him out to pasture.

They're so much better without him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ah, fair enough on McStay, this year is crawling along in some ways, I thought that it was his second year 🤣

He'll be fine so, Dessie on the other hand, I feel like it's win or bust for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

I think McStay has done a great job revamping the side and keeping the vibrancy going. Thought Mayo would struggle for a decade when they had the clear out. Mayo's main problem seems to be they have not copped on how to deal with teams that sit back and soak up pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,858 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

4pm Sunday confirmed tickets on sale today at 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

We were 2/1 joint favs on Saturday before the prelims started. If I wasn't such a biased Jackeen, I'd have a nibble on Tyrone at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

They did actually, but without David Moran Kerry are very average in midfield.

Also Morley didn't follow Jack Carney so he was basically an extra midfielder for us.

Post edited by RedDevil55 on

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Not to derail the Dublin thread but I don't understand that logic. We got to a league final and quarter final last year. We have a relatively young panel too.

If we get knocked out in the QF next weekend, the season cannot be spun as some big success.

Jayus, I would take where Mayo are with their team v where Dublin are. Mayo seem to have young fellas all over the panel adding a big of vibrancy to the whole thing. When I think of Dublin OK Newcombe and Gannon are backs. Hardly going to provide the spark. Bugler has been crucial IMO but is not a 'new' player. Basquel working like a mad thing but again not 'new'.

A lot of importance has been put on Jack McCaffery brought in from retirement, an injury waiting to happen most of the time. Mannion a shadow of himself.

Mayo seem to have way more going for them for the future young fellas with pace/power who if get a run on their opponent look like causing havoc.

It feels odd that Dublin don't have any player with some spark/vibrancy that you can throw in/start. When I think of the difference Jayo made back in 1995 living up the Dublin team of veterans. Dublin does not seem to have that player at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

5pm or now if you have an ST

Also, how are we all going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Glad to see you've not changed during my absence GDG!

Ticketmaster site freezing when trying to get tickets as I knew it would

• Advertisement

Sorted

Advertisement