Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The boards were not. I do not understand why some cannot accept that if senior employee's/ contractors to a company collude to keep information from the board that one party can walk away without any conquences

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

RTE needs to change, and one change that has to happen is to bring the big names back in house, or let them go if they dont want to this contractor external employee thing has to stop.

RTE needs control of their presenters and they need to operate on the same terms as every RTE employee and not to be dealing with agents negotiating contracts.

Temporary contracts are for one off shows and programs not for their core group of presenters like Tubs, claire byrne etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 IBPhoto

IMO, RTE should be a one channel TV and one channel radio station with no ads and fully focused on public interest broadcasting. The land in Donnybrook should be sold for social housing. They should be based in the midlands. They should not have concert orchestras or any of that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

to be honest , it has been done to death by Rte. Can't fault the news coverage. I don't mind a short pause while we wait for round 2. Stock up on the snacks.

• I’d say he was told to shut up if he wants the gig long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would not totally agree. However RTE do not use contracts for what contracts are designed for to have flexability to when to get rid of presenters or to reduce there wages as there appeal drops. No broadcaster can have average presenters continually on there books.

Ya News readers, current affairs presenters are not brand presenters and could be employed full-time. However a lot of there brand presenters should be on contracts which should have the ability to terminate as the appeal of the presenter wanes

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭furiousox

CPL 593H

• It’s extremely puzzling, harks back to some complicated dealings with a certain agency, there’s some big stuff to come out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

They live in abject fear of this not just for Tubridy but for all the supposedly "Top Talent". It is a nonsense. None of them should be paid that much and if they don't like it then they know where the door is. I always hated this "we have to pay them those wages or we will lose them" excuse. How many of them would be picked up by other media outlets on the wages they get in RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Expunge

This for me as well.

I just cannot understand why many senior people in the company, including going back to Noel Curran, would put so much on the line for this guy.

Is it really about the fear of what Noel Kelly could do to RTE?

I'd really really love an answer to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I’ve been told via text no less that despite announcing I have blocked those that have engaged in personal abuse towards me that I can’t see their replies, that I’m still being called out, trolled, and baited by them.

Again, I’m not avoiding you, I can’t see your posts. I can’t reply to something I can’t see.

Absolutely cynical move by Forbes this morning, and accompanied by a completely self-serving resignation letter.

A thundering disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Presumably setting up her future legal action against her employer about how badly she was treated and how her amazing reputation was ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

After 5 years. Noel Kelly had to convince RTÉ that Tubs was the star, all they had to to was to say look at the listnership on 2fm, he has not power to pull people over to 2FM why would he have any power to pull people over to a competitor and John Murray has retain his Tubs audience over that period!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So much for the reasoning of bringing in fresh blood from outside with a private sector mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Maybe Robert Watt should go in there since he has solved Health and his great record in centralising services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭valoren

Now I’m being told some posters are openly calling out mods to “investigate” me, whatever that means. When I said posters were organized in trying to remove posters who said anything negative about NKM or Tubridy from threads I was told I was a “conspiracy theorist” and a “fantasist”. Intriguing to hear it’s being played out publicly now. I say hear as I can’t see it in account of blocking said posters.

The attempts to silence me (and others) continue. Intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's almost as if Forbes was picked because they knew she was weak and wouldn't upset the apple cart. Just keep the status quo and keep the top echelons happy. What you need in there is an absolute bollix. Someone who would have told Tubridy " Ok Ryan, we won't be renewing your contract. Best of luck for the future". Let him off with himself. Then come out publicly and explain that he was looking for an extra payment which was off the books. Hang him out to dry. Say that when his colleagues earning a lot less than him were experiencing pay cuts that you could justify giving him a pay rise.

They were fearful of losing Tubridy like they did when Kenny left? Nah that doesn't wash. Is Kenny missed that much? Don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

This doesn’t bother me at all, I am just intrigued by the justifications of a monthly DD for 13.33. If it was 400-500 or above, I would definitely see the merit of a DD but not for 160.

Congratulations on your house purchase, however we all went through that cash pinch.

160 is not chickenfeed to me as someone who has been in severe financial difficulties a few times, I know the value of money and the worry of not having it to make ends meet. I still count the cents as dark days are ahead of me again unfortunately.

I pay my tv licence about three months after it’s due, I start saving for it in November and pay it in May. I resent paying it as I use their service about 4-5 times a year and find online streaming of their live programmes very annoying. I save the money while I get the numerous love letters from A Post but I am in control as to when they are paid. One year I paid the licence in November, but still under my control.

I am in poverty, but I wouldn’t sign up to a DD for a tv licence. People in poverty and watching every penny are unlikely to sign up for this DD as they lose control and if you are poor for a while, that is a big thing. If an annual charge of 160 is too much of a burden, they are more likely to not pay rather than sign up to a monthly DD.

I got interested in this when posters started talking about cancelling DD’s. From the link (I think you posted), the T&C’s indicate that cancelling makes the full amount due without any reference to payments made to date. And reinstating the DD, they take all arrears in the first payment.

So paying by DD certainly seems to have a couple of downsides when you start cancelling it. And what discount do they give for providing them such an easy way to collect the money ?

My advice from personal experience is….don’t sign up to DD’s unless you really have no other choice as you are no longer in control.

Have a good day.

Update: I’m now told there’s a newbie/re-reg (I think I know which) using a machine gun posting approach to the thread. A common tactic when the abuse starts.

I’ve already blocked you. Sorry.

Cynical or self preservation? We have seen before with these media storms that when the truth fully comes on it is not black and white but rather shades is grey.

What directions did she get from the Board on retaining talent? What role did RT play (directly or indirectly) in signalling he would or could move when faced with a 15% pay cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Wow. You have literally missed the point of this thread.

Kudos for being so far removed from reality. You could go for a job in RTE you know? I believe there is a big opening there now. You'd be a good fit.

• Interesting statement by Claire Byrne just now. As she just said herself, she is very well paid, but having encountered her in the studio she doesn’t have notions of superiority.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What are the most important questions?

1. did RTE legally have to publicly report the “separate commercial” agreement to the public or not
    2. Did RT have to make any comment to the public regarding RTEs reporting to the public?

Lot of this “outrage” being directed at RT stems from “he should have corrected the public reporting.” There is a lot more involved than it being that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

In some ways, this seems pretty straightforward to me, at least where the "illegality" aspects are concerned.

RTE were misleading everyone by underreporting the earnings of their top ten, especially when they started picking up the tab for the €75k

Ryan probably hasn't done anything illegal (as long as the extra income was declared in his company accounts and tax etc paid).

But you can be dishonest without doing anything illegal. If you actively give the appearance of having taken a cut in income, when all that has happened is that it's now left at the back door, rather than through popping the letterbox as usual, then you are being misleading at least. He might have taken, at least on paper, a pay cut, but his income was maintained. Public opinion will determine whether Ryan survives or pays the price

I've never heard of a barter account. Now I have, I want one! Is it like the new crypto-currency? Crapto-currency, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Surely Tubridy’s resignation is imminent following on from that Dee Forbes statement?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭valoren

New account. Straight to the Tubs thread. Combative posts against a long term critic who has been calling them out and now vindicated?

Here come the flying monkeys eh. At least make it less obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement