Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

U+2= indicates he had poor fat cover and technically was under fleshed. It would have been open to the processor to price him he would.not be on the grid.

@58%K/O he be 960LW probably+/-30kgs if that

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

He was a serious well made animal to have that weight on him and still not be fully finished. The likes of him needed at least another months feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

5.15, was actually in Dungannon Co Tyrone. There is an APB, plant up there as well a DUNBIA . If it was ABP quote, it's shows how the southern plants are acting the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

How long after wrapping bales can you feed them? Grass needs a chance to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

559 kg at under 30 months is something totally outside my experience. He grew at 1kg/day carcase weight. I be lucky to do that liveweight.

• Advertisement

Had he not been castrated he would have been that weight 10 months earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Sligo. Great cattle. Were all those 3 cattle CHX? Also what is your bulls star rating on the repalcement be interested to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Just over 1kg liveweight per day 870 days in 29 months

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

They were all a Mix of Lm and Ch. The cow is a Shorthorn Angus cross great fertility easy to feed. Never shows much sign of milk but its coming from some where. I sold here first calf to a local man and she had bred great weanlings. I gave her Zag this year for a replacement but she is carrying a bull calf.😥. The cow herself is a low index but don't have the heart to get rid of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Good loser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Lovely stock, a good angus shorthorn like that is hard bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Lining up some cattle with a factory. its a given things are backed up. Word from them is that shed cattle made up 80-85% of its kill last week at nearly the end of June. Whether these are are farmers cattle or feedlot stock that will be interesting figures for the month of june.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

If you had 20 HEX/AAX bullocks that will be 30 months in September......would you kill them next week when the price is near €5 or give them another 2 months to pile on weight but take a hit on price per kg?

They are very well fleshed...all fat scores of 3's and maybe some 4's.

All opinions welcome.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

I'd like some opinions on that too, only with chx/lmx heifers!

I'd hate letting ones like yours go before they were fully fit but I suppose it's a case of how many more kilos do you think they will put on and what might those kilos be worth in September...+ more grass for your other stock if you let them off now.

I'm holding on to mine for a good while yet but it's a small bunch and probably pigheadedness on my part..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I'd they have the fat scores, that's your decision made. Trade has to tighten at some stage, but if they are fit they're fit.

Piling on weight and driving into 4+to 5s is going to pinch QA bonus. At that time of the year the 7 month men are starting to offload. If it was me I would be pulling a few out every 2 weeks and tip away that way.

There is advantages of driving HEX and AA up into 4-/=. You will start to get R grade cattle in them. This can take HE from O=/+ into R-. You are rewarded by both weight and the R grade price with is 12c/kg higher than the O+ price.

However I agree with you I be tricking them away in 2&3's as they become very fit. While a lot of lads do not feed HE and AA it might pay to start drafting and feeding in small bunches 5-6 @2kgs of maize or/and barley coins really change the confirmation of these cattle.

Killed 8 friesians last week. There was 1XO+, 1XO=, 6XO- and one P+. I probably should not have drafted the P+, two to three weeks feeding would have probably got him into O-. However I think you have to keep them moving. It about the getting as many as possible into O grade. I taught I might have 1-2 more O=. They averaged 330 kgs and 1600 euro.

The difference between a P+ and an O- is 60 euro + the extra weight. The extra on the grading pays for the ration. The extra weight is profit and the fact they are gone off the farm.

Hope to draft 6-8 more in 3-4 weeks time.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Is there much/any difference in carcass weights of cattle sent to factory the night before vs the morning of? Full load going later this week and agent wants to take them on the night before. Usually let him at it as its only 5/6 cattle but with 16 x 700kg together now I'm looking for a rough estimate of any reduction in carcass weight so I can negotiate with him. Any input appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

I'd say you are at nothing negotiating. There's no wiggle room now.

1-2% loss evening before to following morning depends on length of journey as well. Very little chance of negotiation I expect.

My cattle were loaded at 8am and factory was not that busy so went virtually straight up the line. I had the results by 1pm.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Well, have had cattle sent away on nights before, and have seen them killed the next morning, even before they went up the kill line, they were lying back in the pens, chewing there cuds, full as ticks.

Bass may be right but to the naked eye, the cattle can still be full.

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't expect a higher base or anything but can try to get him to take them in the morning rather than the evening, which I think is a fair request. Worth €300+ to me at those rates. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Would never send cattle the evening before. Younger cattle are affected more. It’s just a handier option for the haulier but it’s you that loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Most of the loss happens on the lorry, I doubt if there's anything like a 1% reduction in DW percentage by going the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Some factories want the cattle in the night before to have them through the computer and ready to the line to start killing straightaway and to the chills to ship as early as possible and shorten the working day and no overtime.

There are a few lads locally that kill a good few cattle. They are regular suppliers to the nearest factory. None of them send cattle in the night before. I sawan article a few years ago where a large feedlot operation in the UK said they would never deliver cattle the night before.

Cattle who are put into a strange environment in a shed tend not to drink out of the drinkers provided. I even see the new feeders that are put in to the local factory animals would want very long necks akin to a giraffe to reach the hay in them.......if there was hay in them.

2% is the general figure I have seen quoted and I would be inclined to accept it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Robson99

What way do lads see thing playing out over the next 2 months. Have a few continentals up on 30 months but barely fit. Was thinking of feeding them another 6 weeks...a 10cent rise would cover the QA reduction. If I kill them I have to try and buy back...not easy in July

Anything fit I’d kill but if barely fit I’d let them lie on another while. Nothing worse than a 2= on a good bullock.

I can see the price falling more especially when grass cattle come from September on but stores should fall accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

the fake meat companies are taking a hammering, how this goes on the other hand will be interesting, for lack of of a better phrase

Any quotes for next week? Bullocks 4.90 this week and agent says its dropping to 4.85 next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

The organic for the rest of the year is €5.50 for bullock/heifer up to and inc R+. Goes back up to €5.60 November and then €5.70 dec to €5.75 last to weeks of the year. If Organic 10% premium gives a possible idea of base in the ordinary trade.

Advertisement