Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Does anyone know of a totally AC coupled battery storage system in the Irish market? Like the Tesla power wall.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Myenergi Libbi? (It's a Kstar inverter)

Sofar me3000 + batteries.

Sunsynk but with just a battery connected

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

I’m aware of this one but Who’s selling it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Just got a quote for a friend,

5.3kwp

6kw hybrid inverter (givenergy)

9.5kwh battery

Eddi diverter

11.3k after grant

• Advertisement

I didn’t think GivEnergy did a 6kw inverter. And also ESB prob won’t allow it to be installed because of the recent change to the regulations in May. I’d ask the installer for the model number of the inverter.

is it a GivEnergy battery?

Sorry, yes, 5kw inverter, not 6.

What are the new regs you are referring to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Since 31st May this year, only inverters that output is 25A or less. Most 6kw inverters are over this (at the moment)

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Cheers, so the givenergy 5kw is within regs!

• Advertisement

Yep,.the entire system is givenergy,.except for panels and eddi of course

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pyor

Hi, 

I paid a deposit for 5Kw system to be installed on my house by a company up north.

They are now suggesting that I source a "skylift" myself for them to install the panels.

Is this normal? I wouldn't know where to start with this?

Has anyone had this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

You've been had. Get your deposit back immediately. If you paid by card cancel it.

I'd really not cancel it. I've been waiting ages already.

I don't know why they want me to pay for a skylift. The quote I paid the deposit on included scaffolding.

They're not prepared to have any non refundable outlay, so all the risk is on you. It sounds like subbies doing the job, probably cash. They don't want their name on a commercial rental transaction. They've probably already drank your deposit. Walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Sounds dodgy as f*** to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Only you can decide if it's a walk away job using your gut and their response. It's a sellers market at mo so they can get away with acting the goat and not being super efficient.

It could be a sign they are acting the maggot and looking to wring more money out of you. Is that one to manage them more closely instead of walking away??

Or could be their admin is crap (our installers were like that, install was fine, admin was terrible). Tell them you won't pay for that as wasn't discussed to date and you've a deposit paid which included scaffolding.

Also ask them to reconfirm the details of the order. So paste in anything you have in writing or discuss verbally on calls and ask them to confirm that is what you're getting and that you'll assume it is unless they reply 1 week ahead of the install date. You want a written email trail in case there are issues. And tell them you expect to get a full handover on the day. I got shown nothing pretty much, had to figure it all out bar they gave me the inverter login to see stats.

Check what % of payment you can hold back for snags. I needed that as they had small stuff to sort. If it's not listed anywhere, decide that yourself tell them you are holding back X% (that you pick) for snags. Even if they don't agree, it will focus their mind you're not a pushover. In my case they never fixed the snags but removed money so I could get it done by any tradesperson. That suited me fine and I didn't lose out.

Tell them you're going to takes pics on the install day and watch their work. Take pics of the panels (so you can see if they are the wattage in the contract. Mine were lower so they agreed on install day to add 1 more panel at no cost, which more than made up the gap). Them on roof, areas they are working on. You won't need those unless there are snags later / messing from them. They include pics in the grant submission, but you'll want your own photos too in this case I'd suggest.

Get them to walk you through it on install day in case they are troublesome to deal with post install. I had to chase and chase to get them to look at snags afterwards. Am still delighted I got solar but had to manage them more than I expected or would have liked. I've no idea who your installer is and none of my business (mine weren't Northern based).

Once they install it, you'll have very little dealings with them again. So once it fully works, it's not the end of the world if you never deal with them again. And they make money from installs. Not from an hour here or there helping people with snags. So other installers likely won't touch someone else's work.

I don't think they are dodgy.

It looks like they intended to use only ladders to install the panels, but have decided now that they need a skylift and want me to pay for it.

It's a bit annoying considering it's their mistake and they quoted for scaffolding.

I expected more from them as they are a company from Enniskillen who I had heard good things about.

A skylight would probably be cheaper than actual scaffolding I would have thought

You are contracting for the “supply and installation” of solar PV. Unless it specifically states in the quote that you are responsible for some aspect of the costs associated with the install I would refuse outright.

it’s as simple as that unless your leaving out some other aspect of what’s gone on.

report them to SEAI and take them to small claims court to get your deposit back if they refuse.

plenty of people getting good quotes on here recently; just go to a different installer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

There are a few (2-3) installers in Enniskillen, so perhaps it's not the regulars which are fairly well regarded in this forum. Even if it is, it could also well be that your house is not typical and ladders wouldn't be a great option. I don't know either way of course, just calling it out that it's hard for me/others to say definitively that it's bogus (or not).

It does "raise eyebrows" with me, but like others have said here.....this shouldn't be something that you as a customer needs to solve. They might charge you for it, and depending on your house that maybe applicable, but as for sourcing and hiring a skylift......I'd have thought that best left to the installer. The actual monies does factor in here too. If it's like €50 or something that they are talking about then it's like a moot point. When you are paying €10K or something, do you really want to be nickle & dime'ing over €50?

A small skylift will cost you €412/day plus delivery and vat, and you hope they turn up on the day early and they're not still using it the next day as that will up it by another €150/extra day. As you've hired it you're responsible for the guys using it, so you need to check your home insurance covers your liability, or take out extra. You can see where this is going. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. 🤠

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

A lot of what you say is true. Where it's "out of character" is that there have literally been dozens, if not 100's of installed customers from our regulars "up north" and there has (so far) to the best of my knowledge another situation involving a skylift. Something doesn't quite add up here - and I think it might be jumping to conclusions that "Ohh the supplier MUST be at fault here".

Don't get me wrong, it could well be the case that there is something "off".....but again, perhaps the roof isn't suitable for scaffold/ladder, it's not actually the regular supplier.... or there is some other justifiable reason - but again, your contracting the installer to install panels. Irrespective of reasons, the onus of organizing skylifts etc shouldn't be on the customer, so on that front I'd walk away.......but it's a surprise.

Note: I've no connection/or dealings with that supplier. I'm not defending them in anyway, only stating that it's super unusual - something seems off there.

To be fair they have clarified that they will organize the skylift, but still expect me to pay for it.

Scaffolding was included in the quote, and there would be no problem with scaffolding, as it's been used on my neighbours houses which are exactly the same as mine.

It's a screw up by the guy they have giving the quotation. I sent him a link when I first asked for a quotation, which clearly shows that ladders are not suitable.

It's obvious to me after talking to him that he didn't look at it.

The problem with using ladders is the outshot (kitchen extension) at the back of the house.

The link I sent him clearly shows this. Anyway I think I'll just pay for the skylift, as long as it's not too expensive.

I've been waiting for ages and the original quote is reasonable, from what I have seen.

Why should you pay? A quote is a quote. If it's a case if them quitting the job, at the very least I'd pay no more than half, of a single day's hire. Offer €200, and on a revised quote, not. A cash extra. They can claim the Vat back How much extra have they asked for?

I got some good news. They are going to use scaffolding instead of a skylift at no extra cost.

Must be reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

I reckon it was an admin mix up. That supplier is well known and doesn't do underhanded tactics.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

They certainly gave it a go in this case. A lot of people would have just agreed to it to not have to deal with the conflict. Glad it worked out in the end. Fair play for pushing back on them @pyor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement