Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Would the Aussie team be considered better than England?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Wales only lost to NZ by 1 point.

considering how bad wales were in the 6 nations the only logical conclusion is that NZ U20 are not a good side.

Anyone watch the game? Did NZ rest players or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Wales probably should've won that match. NZ didn't look any great shakes.

There was no alternative but to using the full choice selection, and it'll be the same this Thursday against Australia.

Richie Murphy doesn't control the scheduling - and that was a good English side on Saturday. If he'd rotated heavily enough for it, then we lose the game and likely don't progress. We've left ourselves in a scenario where two wins give us a good chance to progress.

He definitely isn't using the bench or the wider squad much this year - in both the 6N and the game on Saturday - but it speaks to him not having confidence in those players. In other years he has gone deeper into the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

yea, that wasn’t really a judgement. I was just responding to someone saying it was a good place to be. Its not. Not winning that game put a pretty good dent in on our chances.

I don’t really buy ‘not trusting’ players in a u20 competition with this little rest. Play the players you have. I’m not saying a full rotation each game but at the absolute least, use your subs.

Yeah, I don't disagree around using the bench. I thought Paddy & Gus McCarthy were largely excellent on Saturday - but Paddy McCarthy's performance dipped after he got that bang on the top of the head, and Gus McCarthy looked completely spent with 15 to go, and it showed in a few loose line out throws (which had been on point) up to that point.

But there are definite indications he doesn't have huge faith in the wider squad.

I imagine guys will get more of a chance against Fiji possibly, or if we're eliminated from the main competition in the 5-8th playoffs etc, as they've done in previous years, but he's trying to win the thing, which I understand.

I just don’t get that as a concept at this level.

For example, West, Sheahan and Oliver are considered pro level prospects. Oliver and West are in an academy. Sheahan probably will be next year.

So, if you don’t trust Clein, Lynch and Cawley to play a typical pro rotation where they all play at least 10 minutes, then don’t pick them. Pick the above three and play them for development. That’s his job. Its not narrowly just to win. And in this case, i’m not even sure it helps winning with this little rest between games.

No, disagree. He's the guy who gets to decide who best serves his team. It's not just about development at this level, it's about success too. We have rarely enough at this level had one without the other - the best teams contain the best prospects who have the most success, and produce the most pro players.

He's the arbiter at this point though as to who he gives minutes to. If he doesn't think Harry West or Matthew Lynch are going to improve the team's chances of winning, then he's not going to use them.

Plenty of guys have made academies and got U20 caps and gone no further, and there have been plenty of JWCs where we've used full squads and had dismal finishes.

How does Gus McCarthy being wrecked help us win? Or him playing 160 mins in 5 days help us win?

The IRFU are involved in academy selection. They are direct IRFU contracts. If someone is good enough to make an academy, they are good enough to play a normal rotation in this type of tournament. Not using your subs is the type of crazy conservatism that even most senior coaches don’t do any more.

• Advertisement

The manager makes a call - his judgment is he had more faith in Gus McCarthy to close that game out than Max Clein. That's his decision and he's better placed than you or I to make that call.

He's won back to back Grand Slams as Irish U20s coach too, and those teams have produced a number of clear pro prospects, so I think it's fair to say he's doing a decent job at it.

6 nations have much more rest than this tournament, and McCarthy clearly on tv being physically wrecked makes that a bad call.

Yeah, that's fine, give your opinion all day. But my point is, he's the guy who knows more about these players, he's the guy who's watched them train, and has actual data as to their level of condition / tiredness etc, rather than Joe Public thinking a guy looks a bit tired on tv.

He's going to make the calls he thinks are in the best interest of helping the team win, and he's generally done a very good job of that.

Thank you for allowing me to continue giving my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Average minutes played by replacements, u20 6 nations 2023:

England - 153.4

France - 177.8

Ireland - 111

Italy - 118.8

Scotland - 225.4

Wales - 185

Removing the 82-7 blowout of Scotland, the Irish average across the other 4 games falls to 89.3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭theVersatile

As great as it is to see the 20s do well, I'd be happy if they didn't win a grand slam for the next ten years if it meant more fellas got in the shop window and we produced 2-3 extra pros per year.

These guys have worked hard enough, they deserve their opportunity to play

No, I wouldn't. If we can't beat these countries consistently at U20, then we won't beat them at senior level. I think Nigel Carolan is the first guy I've heard who said that.

We've had plenty of teams that chopped and changed throughout 6N championships and JWCs, and that suffered plenty of terrible defeats and produced little enough players.

Success at this level is important too IMO, it's too close now in the modern game to senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

But its completely steps below the senior team for the most part. its still an age grade developmental competition primarily. Huge numbers of the players in 20s will play little rugby in the top levels of the pro game never mind international level.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing. I'm just saying, it's a lot closer to the actual senior team than it is to a regional U15 side, and it's not about participation medals at this level. It's a serious competition and one we'd love to win. Just like at every other level, international caps have to be earned, and at this level, Richie Murphy is the guy who gets to decide whether they have been or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

An under 20 world championship would be nice to win but if you never win one then its not a big deal as long as as many players as possible are developed to their potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deilf

There seems to be some good points on both sides here. I would agree, that there is an impression of a lack of confidence from Murphy in his bench as I think he does flog the starters. At the same time, he picked those players from a sizeable pool of talented rugby players, so one would think (and it seems evident) that they are up the task.

So, he has a strategy (to win or as close to) which in my opinion is risky but one he is willing to take. He's doesn't seem to be interested in this being about player development which imho should be a large part of it. Surely its not beyond the capabilities of an international coach at U20s level to be able to make that happen? Maybe he'll surprise us all on Wednesday🤔

Wales are not well coached and while they do have some good players, the depth isn't good. It's been around 6 years now since Wales have been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That’s a very hard thing to quantify, “their potential”. Playing players now who aren’t good enough because they might potentially become better. Is not the job of a national coach, even at underage levels.

Yeah, agreed. But I would argue a team that is good enough to win or come close to winning an U20 Championship is also a team that is likely to have the most players advance to becoming solid contributors at an Irish international level.

Here's a list of finishes and players who came from those teams to win 10+ caps at the next level:

2007 (won Grand Slam): Felix Jones, Darren Cave, Keith Earls, Cian Healy, Sean O'Brien (Luke Fitzgerald missed 6N with injury)

2008 (4th place in 6N, 9th in JWC): David Kearney, Ian Madigan

2009 (2nd place in 6N, 8th in JWC): David Kearney, Ian Madigan, Jack McGrath, Rhys Ruddock, Peter O'Mahony, Conor Murray

2010 (1st place, 9th in JWC): Andrew Conway, John Cooney, Jordi Murphy, Rhys Ruddock, Simon Zebo

2011 (4th place in 6N, 8th in JWC): Finlay Bealham, Andrew Conway, Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, Paddy Jackson, Jordi Murphy

2012 (3rd in 6N, 5th in JWC): Tadhg Beirne, Jack Conan, Chris Farrell, Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, Paddy Jackson, Kieran Marmion, Luke McGrath, Niall Scannell, Josh van der Flier

2013 (3rd in 6N, 8th in JWC): Dan Leavy, Luke McGrath, Josh van der Flier

2014 (4th in 6N, 4th in JWC): Ross Byrne, Garry Ringrose

2015 (5th in 6N, 7th in JWC): Ross Byrne, Joey Carbery, Andrew Porter, Garry Ringrose, Jacob Stockdale

2016 (3rd in 6N, 2nd in JWC): Jacob Stockdale, Hugo Keenan, Andrew Porter, James Ryan

2017 (4th in 6N, 9th in JWC): Jordan Larmour, Caelan Doris, Ronan Kelleher

2018 (3rd in 6N, 11th in JWC): Caelan Doris, Dan Sheehan

2019 (Grand Slam in 6N, 8 in JWC): Ryan Baird, Craig Casey

It's not hugely instructive at a JWC level, where Ireland have consistently underperformed with a handful of exceptions, but do feel there is a pattern in terms of strong finishing teams in the U20 6N providing a lot of good contributors for Ireland.

Each year produces pro players. Some years are better than others. 2017 was a poor year and yet from the squad there's Boyle, Dowling, Stockdale, Nash, Larmour , Conor Fitzgerald, Frawley. Rob Lyttle was on that team too. That's a good return on a relatively poor year. I can't remember if Rea was on the team nor Balacoune?

2018 gave us Kelleher, O'Sullivan, Aungier, Dunne, Doris and Tommy O'Brien. There may be others.

2021 was a decent year. Considering Joe McCarthy and Edogbo didn't play due to injury and yet, Doak, Kendellen and Osborne are established players. Soroka signed his 1st contract! Liam Barron and Jack Boyle are going into year 3 in the academy. Oisin McCormick has signed a pro deal as have Forde and Jenning. Mark Donnelly is year 3 at Munster. The end result from this year will be very good. If my memory is right, Harry Sheridan was this year also? Cosgrave? There's a chance that 2021 could be a top year as far as producing pro players!

It's brilliant to see.

Yeah, but this actually supports my point.

Virtually every single season produces a certain amount of pro players, so the notion that Richie Murphy should be capping all and sundry of his wider squad because this is a development squad doesn't wash with me.

Like at any level - caps should be earned.

The decision around in game decisions around using his bench etc is different to me - and that's more about individual game mgmt than just player development stuff.

I'm not arguing your point! The fact is some years we do get quite a good group of pro's and others not so many.

My opinion, we should have went to the bench. But, it's done now.

• Advertisement

I think there is some magical thinking going on where there is a massive value to winning at this level.

Gus McCarthy is just as good a prospect if he plays 60 minutes in that game even if that hurts our chances of winning (which i would argue with anyway). I’d argue that’s also better for him health wise and as a preparation for being a pro.

So, yea i’d lean more on the side of playing the players you have on a normal rotation. Not wholesale changes for the sake of it but use your subs.

Advertisement