Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

We use to get 2 puff pieces per year about 'Joe Duffy being offered more money to go elsewhere but he loves RTE too much' (written by NK)

Joe's fees were cut and guess what, he's still there and the puff pieces stopped about 18 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Yes, but if you were familiar with his history on the Radio forum you would understand why the thread was like that at 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They very possibly did help her with the statement, particularly by providing the details of her fees etc, as they would likely have all that information to hand with the contracts etc.

However when the news broke about Tubridy's payments, a lot of fingers started to point at Claire Byrne as well largely due to what turned out to be purely coincidental timing of her being off air the day the news broke.

So presuming all her contracts/payments are fully in order and are as reported, being as transparent as possible about it was the right call. She had to make a statement on it regardless of whether it helps her agent or not, for her own career/reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes and mentioning the impact it has had on her health. Did it really take Grant Thornton three months to establish what had already been uncovered. And what did tha work cost ? Not releasing this news until a couple of weeks before her term ended was part of the managing of it.

• I always get the impression that CB is a very straightforward individual, you get what you see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I can't help but raise an eyebrow when the Minister in charge of RTE is paid a hell of a lot less than RT, D4 and many others there. All at our expense too.

Perhaps as hinted in one of the papers earlier, pay should be aligned with senior management in the Civil Service, which I think is what happens with TD's salaries. That's clean and transparent, with as a pp said bonuses for increased ad revenue/audience figures etc.

As for Ms Forbes resignation, I suspect though I'm not sure, if she resigns she may not be entitled to any end of tenure handshake/pension lump sum or similar, whereas if she retired she would.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

I'm pretty sure if I did the same as Tubridy, I'd be in prison.

Must be a different set of laws these high and mighty well-connected types have.

• She did say in her statement that she was conscious it was a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Expunge

Bloody Claire Byrne is another wan paid far too much. Her Radio 1 show is underwhelming, in my view, and as for that game show she made?

25,000 fee for that?

Local radio standard presenter catapulted to greater things by NK management and Dee Forbes in cahoots probably.

God, when you think of Radio 1 daytime presenters of times past, the current mob are poor enough.

Their agents blowing smoke up their holes. The agents - all of them - are the cancer at the heart of RTE, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Huh?

With all due respect, it’s this type of OTT commentary that makes a bit of a mockery of discussion

being greedy isn’t always a prison sentence. If it was can you imagine the amount prison spaces we’d need for the public sector

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There’s a big difference between an end of tenure handshake, which she wouldn’t have gotten anyway, and a person lump sum, which is a statutory entitlement.

• Re parody accounts, they have 150 followers between them, the creator has a total of 1003 personal followers (680 followers on general personal account, and 323 followers on travel twitter).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Marion Finucane in my opinion the best RTE journalist and presenter head and shoulder above the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

And an Irish cabinet minister is paid more that their UK equivalent.

She was good, minus that incessant coughing. I did find her a tad cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I'd say there's almost no chance she took any action which would have risked her losing pension / end of tenure entitlements. In fact, I'd say she sought legal advice to that effect before announcing the resignation. That's what's most galling. She'll face no real repercussions for this now, not even the mild and temporary discomfort of having a few ham actors on the opposition benches of Dail Eireann having a go at her.

As for Claire Byrne, I could be as wrong as wrong could be, but I get the feeling she is a straight shooter. She did afterall grow up in a different universe to the D4 bubble that Turbidy has lived in all his life. A farmer's daughter from Laois who got to where she is on merit alone, not because she's from an influential family or made the tea at RTE at age 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭hometruths

If you're right, and I suspect you are, it suggest Tubs has further problems in that his management might sacrifice his career to save their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The Journal running a poll about putting RTE on civil service salary max rates! I don't see how you could live in D4 for that kind of money nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

It will be more interesting to see who doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

I can't agree it's been blown out of all proportions. At the same time as Forbes was crying looking for an increase in the license fee she was overseeing a guarantee of what turned out to be 345k extra to Tubridy over a couple of years. Even going so far as to guarantee money if a sponsor didn't stump up. All this at a time where we were told Tubridy had taken a pay cut as RTE were in financial doo doo.

Tubridy made no effort to correct misinformation about his salary over the course of six years. He is therefore complicit in the coverup. His initial statement is a disgrace and shows a clear disdain for the public. Any entity that is publicly funded partial or fully has to be above reproach in its dealings. The fact that Claire Byrne took it upon herself to reveal her salary this morning shows the gravity of the situation.

I see Michael Martin has asked that Forbes appears before a Dail committee. If she doesn't then she should be shunned.

IT IS BEYOND TIME THAT PEOPLE IN PUBLIC OFFICE WERE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS AND SUFFERED THE CONSEQUENCES FOR MALPRACTICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Waterford Whispers has a new item in their shop (seriously):

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

They would need to be on the Medical Consultant grades to match their equivalent God like status

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Just ignore the attention seekers and 'tip the cap' crew

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How much would Virgin pay for RTE if it was sold off?

Government must be absolutely seething, more negative press under their watch. Sell it off and stop throwing money into this black hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭SteM

The mods have dealt with this and deleted abusive messages towards you as far as I can see, I assume the troll accounts have been deleted. All you're doing on this thread now is posting about how people have it in for you and things like 'The excuses still coming I see from the NKM/Tubs supporters. Intriguing' (note, it's only intriguing to you - to everyone else it's part of a general discussion. You have your POV, they have theirs). How about getting back to posting on the subject at hand.

• Joe Duffy to read out his full renumeration in especially garbled fashion this afternoon on Lahvlahn

So go harass the people asking for you to be banned. I never asked.

you have spent most this thread zealously slating Tubridy. It stinks of a huge personal gripe/vendetta against him.

It’s way beyond normal analysis and opinion. That’s all well and good, but don’t be getting all exasperated and “intrigued” because not everyone wants RT to hang for this, like you want him to

You need to rein it in. You’re gone beyond taking it personally. Just put me on ignore if my views on the situation are too much for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

TBH the many stand ins that man has had for his numerous "breakeens" to go to La Belle France or to write another Buke/ go to find the meaning of life etc. have been stellar in comparison to his good self.

Well that was the case when I used to listen to RTE back in the day anyway.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Expunge

Garret Harte (former Newstalk editor and MD of Harte Media) says in the Irish Indo today that

"significant levels of redundancies are likely to take place before the end of the year to balance the books, this will include many across production roles.... This seems an inevitability based on the organisation's failure to introduce proper reform over the past decade."

Is he right? Could it be that quick? RTE have never had enforced redundancies in it's history.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement