Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There's a danger that anyone who expresses an opinion in the thread that isn't inherently 100% anti-Tubridy is immediately labelled as Tubridy/NKM media "supporter".

Now, there is absolutely a cohort on the thread who are transparently here to bat for Tubridy and engaging in bad-faith posting - but, I do think there's a few who are pointing out things about the widespread assertions of actual illegal activity on the thread who are engaging in good faith - and I think everyone is beginning to get tarred with the same brush.

As unpalatable as it is, we don't have evidence of any technical wrong-doing on Tubridy's part at the moment. So when a poster comes along and says something like "I'd be in prison if I did that" - I don't think it's unreasonable for another poster to question that, as, to me, that reads like an uninformed hot-take. Which people are entitled to, of course, on an internet forum - but it isn't very a constructive take if you're trying to debate or discuss something with any degree of rigor.

Do I think Tubridy engaged in morally shady behaviour: yes. Do I think he has further questions to answer: yes. Was he overpaid relative to his talents and services over the years: oh, my God, yes. Do I think his career as a media fixture is terribly damaged, perhaps finished: yes. Am I glad about that: yes. But, do we have evidence - right now - that he's guilty of something illegal: no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Great post. I can't believe RT thought that initial statement was a good idea. Who advised him on that one, if anyone? The arrogance was dripping from it and he clearly had no respect for his colleagues. He had to row back fairly lively with a heavy dollop of humility. I am glad he won't be back on our TV/Radio anytime soon.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

In a nutshell. Absolute middle-ground common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This is only the tip of the iceberg, more is going to come out. Its funny paying a rank average presenter under the table is going to bring down the house of cards. It all makes sense now why so many ruled themselves out of the LLS race.

• Advertisement

• I criticise Tubridy, never met the guy other than sat in the LLS audience years ago. He comes across as mediocre in talent, very lazy when it comes to research, vain, lacking natural empathy, “preacher-teacher-like”, quite greedy, lack self-awareness; his best attribute that worked for him heretofore being uber-confidence. I’ve no axe to grind, except I grew up in era of Gaybo and other greats and since it’s all dumbed down I expect at least remaining aspects of presenters to be true to their word if not all super-talented. Nothing gets me more as a negative trait in people as dishonesty does.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

The RTE 'talent' fees statements should be linked to the number of hours they're broadcasting. I'll accept there is some prep time involved but really none of those salaries are for a standard year's work with a generous 30 days holidays. In the same way that the teachers have to teach for xxx days/hours a year, we should know the required outputs are for the Rte 'talent' otherwise we are comparing apples with oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

Additional payments routed through a UK Company posing as a "Media Consultancy Firm"... located above a sportswear shop. National broadcaster RTE 'created' invoices for €150,000 - Buzz.ie

This stinks to high heaven.

I’ve criticised his abilities as well. Said it many times, that I think he’s poor. I have also said this affair seems to most about “if it’s there to be had, I’m having it.” A trait that grates me.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Good post, and welcome.

Thank you for acknowledging there are organized forces at play on the thread.

just for the purposes of clarity. I’m not one of those with the “I’d go to jail if I did this” type comments. I agree, the debate has become utterly ridiculous at times - no better example of that than those STILL insisting there nothing to see here.

Again I’ll reference the fact I asked a certain poster to remove his post regarding a rumor deigned I believe not just to derail the thread, but close it.

I’ve also repeatedly asked posters to stop the personal abuse.

And finally, i’m not the one creating new accounts to demand posters whose views I disagree with to be removed from the tread either. I’m sure most agree that crosses the line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

If I found out that Gay had been earning 1m pounds from RTE I wouldn't have begrudged it to him. Gay was a brilliant broadcaster on both TV and radio. Crucially he could have earned times that in bigger english speaking countries he was that good. There is no presenter in RTE who could command greater earnings anywhere else. It truly is a gravy train for mediocrity.

The fact that Forbes saw it as ok for RTE to bankroll Tubridy to an ever greater amount than was officially declared for years is disgusting. Even though the sponsor paid him for one year they got an offset from RTE possibly to the point of it being cost neutral through bartering. He may not have done anything illegal but he has shown the smarts of dumbo to take the extra money. He is finished. He should never have been able to start.

Someone mentioned the late Marion Finucane. She was decent but hugely overpaid for the little she did which from my recollection was weekend work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

You had a comment, which I can't find, earlier in the thread about Tubbers shilling for a trip to Iceland. This is from yesterday's Sunday World.

“The idea for the travel series came after Ryan said on radio that he had never been to Australia,” our source says.

“His team put together a proposal for the series with the content mapped out and Russell Crowe named as part of it."

So Rte were meant to pay for him to head off on a holiday to Australia, where he'd faff around and try to be the centre of attention. Presumably also some fake sympathy for those who immigrated after the Celtic Tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Yes, this is his standard MO on these things. Mutter it aloud for a few weeks and then magically, it materializes. He has a lot of history on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

Maybe I have it all wrong - was the money taxed ? Was it just an overpayment by payroll that was in error? Or were people aware of the error and said nothing? Because that would be fraudulent, embezzlement I believe it is termed. Maybe I'm wrong - what would happen to average joe if they did the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

Even to see him described in the article as an "RTE big-gun" made me spill my coffee...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

I think the whole point is that it was deliberately routed via a third party to avoid it appearing in the payroll. Out of sight, out of mind kinda thing

duplicate

Maybe wait for all the facts to surface. But to date, nothing has come remote to implying anyone should be jailed.

Sometimes the man on the street is as thick as sh1te

• Advertisement

...and sometimes the man on boards.ie is worse.. both have the right to an opinion, and an equal vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Agreed on tubs role not being a jailing or even criminal offense. Still not ethical.

But somebody in RTE knowingly moved what is essentially public money in a shady manner so hopefully they can be found and prosecuted. They probably won’t be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

At this time there's nothing to suggest illegal conduct in a criminal sense on behalf of Tubridy ... However money was moved around so that the amount RTE declared to the government as Tubridy's pay was understated. That's one for the Government \ PAC to investigate to see if any semi state rules or procurement processes were broken.

Now, it wouldn't surprise me if in all this complex chicanery, somebody somewhere hasn't got everything 100% legit when it comes to tax or corporate reporting. Which is why it is so important for this to be fully and independently investigated. Revenue should be all over this.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Could Ned Kelly not be brought in for questioning in front on the committee to talk about contracts?

Maybe the money was moved in a legal manner. That’s pretty much all that matters as regards offences/garda/revenue etc

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Money laundering is illegal, though? Money obtained illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Completely agree about Gay Byrne. There are people who just begrudge anyone on TV or radio a high salary simply because they aren't earning it themselves. I fully acknowledge that in an industry where real talent and an ability to draw viewers/listeners commands a premium rate, a presenter is entitled to a salary which reflects this. Gay Byrne, no different to Terry Wogan who earned a fortune in the UK, could command that premium because he was an exceptional broadcaster who could handle subject matter of all sorts with ease and crucially would bring a loyal audience with him.

Apart from one or two exceptions, there is really no one currently working in RTE who fits that bill. In fact, the argument could even be made, in a small pool like Ireland with only a small number of competitors to the public state broadcaster, none of whom are in a position to match RTE's inflated salaries, is there ANY necessity to pay an RTE presenter anything more than say.........100k pa. I really don't think there is. No one is going to convince me, that had RTE had a serious DG over the last decade, who told Ryan Tubridy in no uncertain terms, that his ridiculous salary was going to be cut in half, that he would then walk off the campus at Montrose and into Virgin media or to the UK for a commensurate salary and conditions. Absolutely no chance.

Many here have asked, "Why are they paying Tubs (and other mediocre individuals who don't warrant it) such vast salaries?" Well I think the answer is simply that RTE is a public sector family business. Everyone at the top is very pally wally, and why would you insult an old friend by denying them an extra €75k pa when you can just dip into the tax payer coffers and give it to them. RTE is not being run like Ryanair to tight margins and with real rigor on expenditure. It's being run like a slush fund by incompetent and feckless individuals who think they can simply shake down the government for a bailout when they invariably can't balance the books

TBH, I think this debacle is the greatest thing to happen for the licence fee payer in years. We might now actually see something approaching reform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Only if you know it's come from illegitimate sources

If you are none the wiser and its moved in an legal manner it's not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement