Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

Gross oversimplification to follow BUT I think the Galway-Tipp match showed the difference between Leinster hurling and Munster hurling. Munster is 'you score - I score' whereas Leinster is less so and the matches over the years are more physical and better balanced between defence and attack. Cork, Clare and now Tipp all gone down that road where their attacking ability is clearly higher priority than their defending as a team. It's clear Henry took inspiration from the drawn Kilkenny Tipp all Ireland where Cody bristled over the amount of space and abdication of basic defensive duties all over the field that was allowed in the first game. The second game was an arm wrestle which played to Kilkenny's strengths. I was impressed that Henry largely stuck to his guns in formation and instead put it on the players to win their battles and support each other as a group.

Liam Cahill has spent quite a lot of his senior coaching career explaining underperformances - are these all psychological aberrations, overtraining or is it simply that he can't get the balance right in the defensive aspects of the teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭kk.man

Brilliant quote 'I score u score' that's Munster hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭kksaints

I would have agreed with that to an extent prior to our last two matches in Leinster which were scorefests with 15 goals in two games. I'm not so sure now but there is some merit to that view at least.

I haven't watched the Sunday game back yet but I did see a clip online with Liam Sheedy talking about the wear and tear of the Munster Championship and the difficulty to get timing right when peaking. No argument that this year Munster is more even in abilities - BUT to put that forward as a defence for Tipp is just deflection. They have done nothing for the past few weeks except rout a division 2 team - whereas Galway had to pull them selves off the ground from a loss which was heartbreaking in how it happened.

Yep you have to go back over the years. Clearly the KK-Wx game was just a mad thing and similarly Galways defending in the Leinster final - BUT I think the key thing is it was a sore point with both managers afterwards..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Charlie69

That’s it, before the game all three pundits including Canning said Tipp were going into the game with greater momentum and that Galway would struggle to overcome the nature of the Leinster final defeat. Now it’s back to Tipp being fatigued from the Munster championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Marrooned

No one on the Sunday game mentioned that the Dubs had to travel down to Limerick on Saturday. Munster ref. Munster venue. All the other participating counties border Limerick,Clare had already played two Munster championship games at the venue. Hardly very fair on the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Village87

Adrian Mullen expected to participate v Clare after the weekend by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭KK36

That thinking is always dictated by the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Was Canning disappointed to be proven wrong! Get the feeling he doesn't want H Shefflin to succeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭MfMan

I doubt anything could be further from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Don't know where your coming out of this from, clear to see Canning wants best for Galway all of the time which is fine. I think he's probably the best and most honest analyst on the Sunday Game at present, calls it exactly as he sees it.

General opinion was Tipp were slight favourites going into this game even though the dogs on the street knew there was only going to be no more than a puck of a ball in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I'd expect we'll have everyone except Mikey Carey. I know mossy is under a bit of pressure but hopefully he'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 njcat

Dónal Og’s Tipp comment about the difficulty of peaking caught my interest because it speaks to the strength of Kilkenny hurling especially since 1999 under Cody with added spice from Ballyhale and Kieran’s.

Kilkenny won 10 national leagues, 18 Leinsters and 11 AIs. AI runners up 5. All in 24 years. Won last 4 Leinsters.

Ballyhale won 5 and ru 1 of the last 9 AIs.

Kieran’s won 8 and ru 2 of the last 12 college’s AI.

Ballyhale’s recent success has impacted Kk performances in the league and RR. The Kk league performance v Tipp last year away and this year in NP were demoralizing and I suspect affected subsequent attendance. But as Liam Sheedy acknowledged the heavy duty Oct-Nov training made them great in April and early May but mentally tired by late May.

We have seen the team and Ballyhale players peak for the AI semi final and final. Then the athletic deficit so evident v Wexford is closed. But the Ballyhale players peak multiple times over an entire year. Ballygunnar did it twice and kaybashed Waterford for 2022 & 2023.

Limerick are a truly great team. Kiely has 3 league titles, 5 Munsters and 4 AIs. But the 2023 league win & peak has them mentally tired all through Munster games. But they were tired but less so last year and the pack closed the gap. Can they recover for the semi. I don’t know.

When you look back at Cody’s record, he was a genius at managing peak performance. Dónal Og and Ursula should take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭hogans heroes

Maybe tipp should give cody a call about peaking😎

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Butterbeans

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Butterbeans

Mullen will be a massive addition if okay. Fingers crossed for Mossy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Sheedy should know 2/3 wins meeting Kilkenny in all ireland finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭hogans heroes

A long way short of 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Oh God please don't start this tit for tat nonsense.

I really hope Mossy is fit. He could cause absolute wreck to that Clare full back line with his direct running. Great news if Mullen is available. If the two of them are playing I'd be confident enough especially if Cleary and Conlon don't play on their side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Kk were away last weekend. The few injuries are a concern but it's the same with most teams. Unlucky for mossy its the other leg that's at him now. The few week break would of being a big help to us. Clare won't learn a whole lot last weekend. They will obviously be very dangerous even if they haven't a great record in croker.Mark Rodgers is a big addition for them.fitzgearald,Kelly and o Donnel are key players and Malone gets through alot of dirty work. I don't know if Darragh Corcoran would have the legs to track these lads and padraig or buckley wouldn't have 70 minutes. Kk will go in as underdogs again which they won't mind and the bit of pressure will be on clare but if we can bring our A game we won't be far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭blackcard

If you were to rate the Kilkenny forwards at the moment, I think it would be something like this

1 Eoin Cody

2 TJ, even at 35

3 Donnelly maybe

4 Mossy

5 Wally?

6 Billy Ryan?

7 Tom Phelan

8 Deegan, or maybe at midfield

9 Billy Drennan

10 Timmy Clifford.

Did we realize how lucky we were to have a forward line of Henry, Larkin, Brennan, Power, Hogan, TJ. Not sure how often they played together?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Agreed but the way Dublin can use Croke Park whenever they want essentially would lower my pity levels.

Cathal Barrettt hadn’t much luck since the Richie Hogan incident in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

It was 4 years ago, why are you bringing that up seriously??

I certainly don’t forget cheaters feigning injury to get another player sent off KARMA

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Strange comment since Richie has had even less..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Some seriously stupid posts on this thread of late, is it the heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭kksaints

Not sure which is worse, the Kieran's debates or people going back to the 2019 Final sending off. The Semifinal can't come quick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I think if we have most of the injuries cleared up for the clare match we have a great chance..for all the talk about how bad clare were last year how much better would they have neded to be to win.. i would think a hell of a lot. We didn't allow them play

Clare injury worries are as bad as ours too. As excellent as Tony Kelly can be there are plenty of times when a man marker has limited/ nullified him.

Our forwards should have the beating of their backs.

This talk of clare owe us one and need to do themselves justice puts far more pressure on them than us..

Advertisement