Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Wonder how many tubs fans, will be on to say hes a good egg, as he once gave me a cheery wave, and let me buy him a 99

• Registered Users Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I wouldn't use that as any metric, stirring up faux outrage and then getting likes isn't any endorsement of your message.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well I was not aware of any of this. Jeez this really takes the biscuit when you reflect on how he was banging on during covid about minding each other and generally being less greedy. It just shows once again what Britney Spears said is true too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Dr Karl

Yes. They think they are owed a living by licence and tax payers. Also remember when Gerry Ryan died RTE wanted to pay his wife a pension even though he was contractor not an employee, so didn't pay into the pension scheme.

• Advertisement

A separate bank account not included in the financial statements,?!?

No that's not what it is.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭hometruths

Ah yes the legend of Ryan Tubridy, the 12 year prodigy getting a job in RTE; that irreplaceable talent must really have shone through in the letter he wrote to RTE.

I wonder did he use An Post to deliver it to the giant mailbag RTE correspondence.

Or did his grandfather, former chairman of RTE board, hand deliver it to the relevant department.

• The timing of all this keeps calling back (or originating) to RT announcing he was leaving the LLS, wonder what happened around then?

Someone saw what was happening and blew the whistle is my guess. Proper order of course, just my thinking because it’s very clear the “grunts” at RTE doing the background work to keep things moving are seriously upset.

Suppose Ryan has another talent for acting. He was able to bullshite his staff and the general public he took a pay cut when he was actually making more money than ever.

Don’t get me wrong, I think saying he’s talentless is stupidity, but I don’t like him or what’s gone on here. It’s a disgrace it was ever allowed. Something really interesting about this story breaking just weeks after Phillip scofield being found out to be a bauld pup too actually 🤔

• From Wikipedia, when he was 12 he wrote to RTE to complain that the Saturday line up didn’t have anything to suit kids like him.

He was then given a job reviewing their movies or something.

Though later noted for his perceived bookishness, it was television films that interested Tubridy as a child; he wrote to RTÉ at the age of 12, to complain that there should be more of those on TV for the likes of him and others who were his age.[10] RTÉ responded by inviting Tubridy to review films on its Saturday morning programme Anything Goes, and so began a long relationship with the broadcaster.[10]

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

IT still not mentioning that ARC was only established end of 2022. Moya Doherty ran the board for EIGHT years without seeing any need for any audits! Remember of course the RTE Board is appointed by the Govmt.

https://www.irishtimes.com/media/2023/06/26/rte-payments-controversy-dee-forbes-resigns-as-director-general/

• Advertisement

• I don’t know I wasn’t there. What I do know is when you have dealings with a company or organisation for 38 years they wouldn’t be dying to get rid of ye.

I think some people here have been blinded by disgust for Tubirdy, which is fair enough, but there’s no need to be so upset towards me because I’m looking at it realistically.

Maybe I’m misreading but replies so far to my simply saying he clearly has some discardable talent to work the job he does have been on par with what I’d expect if I was trying to defend everything he’s done 😅

For the record I disagree with what’s gone on here, with him in general because he lives a massive facade, but I disagree also with any notion that he’s talentless.

To be fair, 25 years since he started broadcasting work, if he was talentless and kept going all that time we have bigger problems.

edit: wait are you talking about his grandfather Sean? Who died 20 years before RTE ever broadcast on television? O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭Francis McM

The average person in Ireland demands slashing of RTE salaries for the people at the top. They are simply not worth it. And nobody is going to listen to Tubs again, the devious little b#stard, who profited when the rest of us who pay his wages just scrape by.

Unless Tubs acts quick, I would say a lot of people will think twice before paying the licence fee next time it is due too. Nothing worth watching on rte anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There are plenty who are using this affair to slate Tubridy based off them really disliking him as a personality. Objectivity and realism out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

This aged well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I didn't realise he got paid by RTE when he was 12 and appeared on TV age 16. Back then, nepotism and benefits from being part of a Fianna Fail dynasty would have been even bigger problems than they are today. Many fools will dismiss this as "ah shur he was only a kid" but this is how it starts, one bit of good fortune leads to more which leads to more. Then a few years later you are presenting the Full Irish on 2fm and soon after that, boom, you're on over half a million and boning Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin

Then you are getting all manner of freebies and don't even have the cop on to realise how bad it looks. You also don't have enough cop on to see how potentially bad things could get if you are getting more taxpayers' money than is being reported.

I'd say he's a stingy, South Dublin narcissist. Plenty like him. No matter how intelligent they may be, greed often trips them up, they never have "enough" as they are "worth every penny and more".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Isn't it any wonder people get away with stuff when you hear people defending by saying, he was a bit of a nerd,who loves books and did a lot for charity, ( which he patted himself on the back for, and said before what's the point of a good deed if no one knows you've done it)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭hometruths

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They would argue they could see all along he was a phony and nemesis was lurking. He would be found out.

I could never warm to him as a presenter, not sure why? Did he come across as cold and phony - but that is in hindsight.

At the same time I bore him no ill will before this scandal.

My post history is pretty busy, but you won't find any 'slating' of Tubridy. Joining in the occasional craic on the Late Late TV thread is all.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its relevant though, he is absolutely rank average and thats been kind. If this was Gay Byrne people would care less, but instead you have a fraction of the talent been paid under the table.

The fact he is the highest earner at our state broadcaster sums up the sorry state of RTE. I have no problem with a presenter making over 500k a year if he is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

I don't understand the 3rd paragraph. Where did RT claim to not know what his company was paid? Where did he publicly comment on the incorrect figure when it was released? Not saying he didn't - Just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

@Cyrus I’m told you’re still quoting my posts, I can’t see your replies, I’ve blocked you. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

He can't go back on air as nobody wants to work with him.

If only he was a salt of the earth north Dublin narcissist eh

You're ranting and raving like crazy quoting mods left right and centre while the only posts removed are yours. Maybe take a little break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

This has just remind me of Lambgate.

Does anyone remember when Gerry Ryan went on a wilderness week in Connemara and told a huge lie on air about having to kill a lamb himself so that they could eat. I remember hearing it at the time and it was so convincing. Turned out a farmer killed the lamb. There was absolute outrage about the lying afterwards. I'm not comparing the two, just remembered it didn't really harm Gerry's career but I always knew after how capable a liar Gerry was. Anyway hopefully Ryan won't be back on the radio.

There seems to be an RTE, Tubridy loving new member on here. Who's sole purpose since 1:58am this morning is to get anyone who criticises Tubridy banned.

While at the same time seems to be very sure he/she can't be banned and knows every mod.

Post edited by Strong and Faithful on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Stop fighting like a bunch of toddlers. Completely derailing the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement