Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Ive not read the thread but i don't get the witch hunt for Tubs tbh. Im far from a fan of his but what has he done wrong? Its not up to him how RTE handle their accounting or how they report it. If all money was properly invoiced and the appropriate taxes paid by him / his agent, whats the problem? Is it to do with what he represents ie, a bit of a posh boy from a privileged background rather than what he's actually done, which is the exact same thing anyone in his position would have done.

The governance of RTE is shambolic clearly but again, thats not his cross to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

At this rate, let him at it! Kind of entertaining as he implores mods like they were rain Gods! Is there any moderator he hasn't implored🤣

• Let the zookeepers deal with the fur & feathers 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What's your standard for 'wrong'? Legally, morally, ethically or professional?

Did you read his statement on Friday?

He should it should have corrected it.

By not correcting it, it was a lie of omission. He colluded with RTE so that his salary was under declared, so that he was paid €150,000 by RTE he should not have been. These are public funds via licence fee. He colluded with the shambolic governance to misappropriate public funds.

He also lied to his colleagues about the extent of the 'solidarity' pay cuts he took.

And that's what we know of - so far.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• feeding the troll and wonder why he won’t go away?

boggles the mind

• And he said in reflection he ought to have pointed out the discrepancy and for this he apologises unreservedly. He admits that it would have been the right thing to do.

The issue at stake is the fooling of those to whom he is accountable that he was on a much lesser renumeration, it is the pretence until he was found out. Other parties complicit too, of course.

• Why did Mr Tubridy apologise unreservedly for non disclosure of amount in his account differing considerably from amount published? Or do you not consider this as part of reasoned debate?

• there are a plethora of people at blame all with varying levels of fair blame to give. In fairness he’s lower on the scale than say, Dee Forbes. He’s more on the same blame scale as the folks in charge of publishing this info as you’d expect they’d make sure it’s accurate as would himself.

But because he’s not the most “at fault” one involved doesn’t mean he should get off scott free.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

When I think of the money that someone like Joe Duffy is on - 351,000 a year. And then someone like Catriona Perry is lost to the BBC, that makes me angry. She's probably better off though.

From The Journal... Joe Duffy publicly stating his reported RTE salary as actual. So must be pretty confident of no under the counter payments.

Joe Duffy has revealed his own salary while speaking on Liveline this afternoon, confirming that he earns €300,000 for his radio work, and €51,000 for television work, including The Meaning of Life, and previously Children of The Troubles.  Duffy has noted that the “exact figures on [my] contract are the exact figures [I] receive.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Am I right in thinking that the additional payments were some form of fee that would result in Tubs doing publicity stuff? If so, its not as if he was getting back handers for no apparent reason. Ethically, its a bit gray in fairness considering he didnt fess up from the get go but in the grand scheme of things, its fairly effin vanilla and the blame rests imo solely with RTE. Unless it comes out that he contractually made them keep these payments off the public record, Im failing to see the outrage. As I said in my last post, if I was in his shoes you can bet your bottom dollar I wouldn't refuse an extra €75k as Im sure 99.9% of the people commenting in here wouldn't either if they were completely honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

He allowed figures to be released into the public domain for six years. Figures which he knew were an inaccurate reflections of his earnings. We, the idiots who pay our TV license, were led to believe he had taken a pay cut yet it transpires not only did he not a pay cut but he was on more money than before the request to reduce his salary when you add in the undeclared amounts for each year which totalled 345k. That is a a serious breach of trust. When you operate in the public domain and they are your paymasters optics are everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He’s screwed.. the what he should known, should done etc is probably irrelevant.

he knew he was being paid quite a sum of money for additional work, that was then pulled, and he still took 150k (at a 230k) cost to the taxpayer, during austerity measures at RTE. Seems greed for cash got the better of him.

What his statement is missing (that folks likely want to see) was him saying that he did not need that money and really should not have accepted it from the taxpayer. In other words, “just because it was there for me doesn’t mean I should have grabbed it.”

• to be fair 0% of the TV licence pays RT or anyone else’s salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

If you think boards is bad I suggest you don't go onto any other social media platform, maybe you can ask for them all to be shut down because you don't like what people are saying

There will be no punishment. The general public won’t accept his return, and unless he’s an idiot, he will surely know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Unpopular opinion but I agree with them. Although I'll probably be branded as an NKM plant, even though I only ever heard of them from Boards.

Heads absolutely should roll in RTE for what has happened here, it's inexcusable. I'd be more than happy to see salary reviews for the top earners and ties cut with NKM. And I have no time for Ryan Tubridy as a presenter either. But the personal abuse of the presenters (and callers) in several of the Radio forum threads is tiring to read and I often wondered if it could put Boards in legal hot water. My solution is to simply not watch or listen to said shows, rather than spending time listening to shows I don't like just so I can make fun of them online.

• Advertisement

Does something have to be illegal for it to be worthy of 'outrage'? That's never been the standard in society and arguably 'outrage' is needed more for such grubby conduct because illegal activities may come with legal penalties.

Originally they were planned to have come from Renault. But Renault dropped it after the first year, RTE continued paying the 75000 a year even though Tubridy wasn't doing anything to earn it.

They are public funds, if you want to misappropriate public funds go ahead but don't be surprised if you are cut off from them in future. These payments of 75000 - well it is a lot more than that added up - looks like it will cost him far larger sums in the rest of his 'career'.

Tubridy has destroyed his reputation in this scandal, and his reputation was his earning potential. He can have the misappropriated money or his reputation but not both.

The blame doesn't rest solely with RTE because Tubridy dishonestly colluded with them to keep it quiet.

And also, as noted, he lied to his colleagues about the extent of solidarity pay cut he took. Maybe you think that's ok, but strangely enough his colleagues don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Would you take the extra 75k and then stand up in public and announce that you had heroically taken a pay cut?

I guess so. I was more thinking it as regards some “official” punishment. The unofficial punishment is the one that will hurt him most, that being the public’s dismissal

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

The fact that he released the initial ignorant statement might lend credence to his not being the brightest light in the harbour. Especially as he has operated in the public sphere for over 30 years. You would think he would have had more cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

Frankly, nope! Everything comes back to haunt you, one day.

I think most the “abuse” is of the casual nature concerning the delivery and analysis etc, as opposed to any cutting personal abuse. At least I’d like to think that is how I’d conduct myself over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

any more tricks up your sleeve to get this thread closed? Imagine people talking about public figures with their real name shock horror - you better call up all the papers too - or are they “engaging in conspiracy” …

The only conspiracy here is the conspiracy to defraud the state out of half a million + by RTE and associates.

Post edited by thomas 123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Claire Byrne said on air that she has booked last Thursday and Friday off. That's fine. However I don't understand the round figures paid to these contractors.

An IT contractor in an office would submit a monthly invoice for days worked. Any day off for public holiday, illness or holiday wouldn't be charged.

The way RTE present the annual fees to the contractors makes it sound as if they're paid an annual fee, regardless of days (in reality hours) actually worked.

Contractors pay really needs to be examined by this new Audit and Remuneration Committee at RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Advertisement

Yes, it has a negative meaning. Morally bankrupt behaviour tends to attract negative words.

Oxford Dictionary: dishonestly or unfairly take (something, especially money, belonging to another) for one's own use

Not my fault your hero dishonestly and unfairly took public funds for his own use.

He lied by omission in not corrected the record of his RTE payments. Had he done so, RTE would have come under pressure to cease them.

That's dishonesty.

And he took the money unfairly, because he lied to his colleagues about the extent of the solidarity pay cut.

Maybe you should choose some better arguments, one based on morality.

Why did Tubridy say he should have corrected the public record of his salary?

Was he lying then???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement