Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I fully agree that we should join NATO. At least we'll have powerful friends if Russia ever decide to attack us. People go on about the Belgrade air strikes in 1999, but there would've been no bombs dropped on Belgrade if it wasn't for ethnic cleansing by the serbs in the Kosovo reagion.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

For what reasoning would Russia decide to invade Ireland, or any country decide to invade Ireland for that matter?

Need to think of a justification which doesn't involve subsequently attacking the UK or Europe straight after taking Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

For what reasoning would Russia decide to invade Ireland, or any country decide to invade Ireland for that matter?

Need to think of a justification which doesn't involve subsequently attacking the UK or Europe straight after taking Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Why did Strongbow come to this inconsequential island?

What was the provocation for the Sack of Baltimore?

The "Ahh sure it will be grand if we say nothing" defence has proved ineffective against foreign invaders.

Ireland could learn lessons from Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

There is none. The only way Russia would attack Ireland is if it was a member of NATO and NATO attacked Russia, which is more likely.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It doesn't have to be straight after. Look at Ukraine, why did Russia invade Ukraine? Put aside the restoring the homeland nonsense.

The strategic advantage in invading Ukraine successfully was advancing towards NATO through a neutral country. Hence we have seen Sweden and Finland move to join NATO to avoid being next. If Ukraine had been annexed quickly, Moldova would have been next.

The question after that for Russia is whether Serbia or Ireland coming under their sphere of influence is most likely. You only need to look at the influence that Russia have built up over our left-wing politicians with the clowns Daly and Wallace being the most prominent example and Michael D's intervention last week being the silliest. Russia would love a SF-led left-wing government in Ireland sympathetic to its cause.

Before directly attacking NATO, take out all the non-members, just like Germany moved in the 1930s to annex "friendly" countries first. Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Russia is this generation's 1930s Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Have to say I think it is actually the "restoring the homeland nonsense" that is main thing that makes any sense as a reason for Russia's invasion. I think when the Great Leader (Putin) spouts about Peter the Great and Russia's glorious past + the like, there is truth coming out.

It is at core an old fashioned effort at land grab and empire building with some genocide thrown in that most people thought was finished in Europe.

Russia is not going to invade Ireland given where we are, and there is no prospect that they can ever exert enough influence here to get cronies into power and draw Ireland into clear allignment with them (!), but they can do us harm.

They have shown they have very few limits now, they are not likely to care about "neutrality" or a history of uninvolvement in alliances like NATO particularly. That is why the Finns and Swedes are joining NATO now IMO (again not saying Ireland should). IMO they feel, given their location, they need some extra insurance against Russia's appetite for aggression and the new unpredictibility they have shown.

IMO if Russia in future sees opportunity & advantage for themselves in a grey zone attack that will damage interests of the US or other EU countries located here they would do it, regardless of Irish neutrality.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Edit: Thankfully, the mods took action and deleted the Ukrainian propaganda video that was mocking the innocent Russian man who was unfortunately eaten by a shark. Nice to see that this site hasn't yet devolved down to the level of discourse you would expect on a shithole such as Twitter. If you want to post offensive names stick to Twitter and share them with the rest of the NAFO idiots.

Post edited by Antipathetic on

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Still no sign of the Abrams tank in Ukraine.

Plenty of German/Dutch/Danish Leopards there though.

Collective European security is our best bet.

Nato is too influenced by American/foreign interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

To be honest, I doubt the Americans have any real intent of supplying Abrams tanks to Ukraine. The Americans are happy that European nations have depleted their arsenals by supplying stuff to Ukraine. I'm sure they are hopeful that countries will now be hesitant to buy or use Leopard tanks and instead will switch over to the Abrams.

Puny people benefiting from this conflict are some of arms companies.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭eire4

No question the authoritarian dictatorship in Russia is a direct threat to us and is hurting us directly as I type. We are having to pay out billions to house the 80,000 odd Ukrainian refugees in our country and as well as a result losing tourists beds so that is a very real and very direct harm inflicted on us by the Russian dictatorship that is happening right now. Then additionally the direct threats you clearly elucidate above. It is high time we stopped being spongers when it comes to our own defense and security.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think we should be and know which way I would vote.

How would you both?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

definitely yes, it's such a big thing that it would have to be decided by the people.

i would absolutely vote no.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

Absolutely although it'll be a No from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Yep. Typically Ireland does a good job in referendums, outlining what each side would result in. Would be good to define with each result means and then get the people to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Yes from me also and I would also vote no.

although I do think we should have a marked increase in budget for our defence forces, navy, coastguard and such seeing as we are an island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It should be put to the people I'd be curious to see which way it would go before Ukraine it would've been a resounding no imo but now I'm not so sure. No for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,660 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We elect governments to govern. That means sometimes actually governing and making tough decisions in the national interest.

I don't think any government should be outsourcing something as fundamental as defence to the public.

The Irish public have not proven themselves astute on this at all. The so-called "triple lock" is the prime example of emotive stupidity at it's finest. That was introduced to nudge the public in to accepting the Nice treaty.

In doing so and voting for the Nice treaty they gave a veto over the deployment of our own defence forces to China, to Russia and other security council members.

It wouldn't fill you with confidence as to the publics grasp of these types of issues.

Maybe Russia doing as it wants with our subsea cables might be the wake up call people need.

There is a distinction between joining NATO and looking after our own back yard.

I'm much more interested in the latter than joining NATO.

We are Europe's weakest link. I don't see the upside of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Surprised by the amount of no voters there would be here. I think we should be in NATO so would vote Yes. It is called the "North Atlantic Treaty Organisation" after all and we are the weakest link in the North Atlantic.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 XT1200

Yes to having a say and a firm NO to joining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

As net contributors to the EU (and therefore CSDP) we cannot be defined as spongers. We have asked nothing from nato. If we happen to benefit from our geographical location then thats just life. We deal with the downside of our island location year in year out without any reward or praise.

Also how can we both be spongers and at the same time be paying for 80k Ukrainians to stay.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We are not a direct democracy and I'm not particularly keen on developments in that direction. If it needs an alteration to the Constitution then yes, otherwise we have a government whose job is to govern.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Me either. We get our say at a general election. Not a fan of deciding things by referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

the triple lock has been there long before Nice, brought in by government

The Nice thing was a change to the constitution about joining an EU defence force

it appears you might be the weakest link 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

How would joining NATO solve any of them issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Yes to a vote

and

No to NATO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Then the State should withdraw from the provisions of the Nice Treaty (which was, after all, rejected as was Lisbon).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Would be interesting to hear people's reasons for voting no to joining NATO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Yes to a say. Whether we remain neutral should definitely be decided by the nation as it's such an important part of our history and cultural identity. I would vote no.

Advertisement