Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue Dog Advice Needed

Options
  • 08-05-2023 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi everyone, looking to get some general advice or to hear from anyone in a similar boat. I am currently fostering a dog with the view to adopting. I got matched a dog from a shelter, by all accounts she is ideal - she is calm, friendly, good with people, good with other dogs etc. It is just me that is her sole carer. I have a busy job and work in an office approx 50 min walk from where I live. I walk to work every day and have done so for years, rain, hail or shine. My office is also dog friendly, there are only a handful of us so it is a very calm environment. My plan was to get a dog that I could walk to and from work, and have them snooze during the day in the office beside me (with toilet breaks). For this reason I decided to go for a lurcher as I've heard they are couch potatoes and thought they would fit my lifestyle well. I got a lurcher cross (probably a bit of a staffie in her). This is my third day with her, so far she has been great. She has settled in well, sleeps a lot. She doesn't mind chilling on her own for a while etc. I am having two issues and while I know it is early days I am looking for some general advice or reassurance if anyone has been in a similar boat.

The first issue is walking. The first day I had her I took her on two walks, she was great both times. Good on the lead, didn't seem nervous. She was very curious to get to know the area. Then yesterday (Sunday) I thought I would take her halfway to work and then back again so she would have a practice of the route and distance. It was a disaster, the route I walk is along the canal so it is busy and noisy. She would sometimes be fine on the lead and walk well, but most of the time she would stop and refuse to walk. She is a strong girl and I can't move her when she refuses and I also don't want to pull her. I was really worried about getting her into the office, I left really early anticipating that she would have lots of moments where she would not walk. It took us an hour and half (takes me 50 mins). I don't know what to do in situations like this. When I look online I see advice like "choose another route" or "build it up in baby steps". Unfortunately these are not an option for me - I need to get to work and there is no parking, it's either walk the whole way or leave her at home which I can't do. I have tried to give her treats and praise her when she is walking well but she still stalls every couple of mins. When she does it can be ages before she will get going again, she will just stand and stare. I can tell she is nervous because she is licking her lips and yawning. I have tried comforting her and petting her to encourage her to get going but it doesn't work. I know it is early days, I fully understand that she needs to get used to it - but I'd love to know from anyone in a similar boat how long it took for your dog to build confidence and walk well on the lead.

My other issue I'm having with her is that she is not peeing. When I took her home on Saturday she peed in the afternoon. I took her out several times before bed to try and get her to go and she didn’t. I thought she might have an accident during the night but she didn’t and she peed on Sunday morning. But then nothing all day Sunday and again last night several attempts to get her to go before bed and she didn’t. This morning I took her out and she didn’t go either but she pooped. I’m not sure what I can do? She is not having accidents in the house but she’s not going outside either. She doesn’t seem to go on walks either, she doesn’t seem to be in any distress and I haven’t seen her attempt to go and not be able to. She just doesn’t go.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Was she in a kennel environment or other foster home before you took her on?

What do the rescue know about her history - if anything? Have you spoken with them about the issues?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It seems to me that you're (unwittingly, not with any malice) trying to force the dog straight into your lifestyle without giving her time to adjust. No dog will suddenly be fine with our routines. It's generally estimated that dogs need about 3 weeks to adjust to the change in homes and 3 months to actually feel comfortable. She's doing brilliantly by the sounds of it, but you need to be a bit more patient with her re the walks and expectations that she'll be fine in your office all day. I think jumping straight in to long walks in busy areas was moving too fast, and I'm afraid the only advice is to slow things down a lot. Can you take any time off work, or work from home, to allow her to settle more first?

Overall, it sounds like she's incredibly anxious and possibly feels the weight of expectation. I imagine some calm time at home with you would really help.

We got a puppy last summer, so a very different kettle of fish, but she took months to be fully okay with walking on a lead!

Could you reach out to a trainer for support?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

My guess is it's just too far for her. A 50 minute walk would be at least 5km, right? A combination of lurchers just being plain lazy, which you know already, and that she wouldn't have had that long a walk before being fostered, means that she's probably just not up for the walk (there and back).

I know you said there's no parking at work, but I wonder if there's somewhere you could park somewhere en route to lessen the walking distance, at least until she's built up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭unimaginativeusername

How are you both settling in with each other? I hope it’s going well and you’re both getting used to each other’s routines.

The above poster has a good point - is there a way to break up the distance?

As a prospective dog owner (from this weekend!) and with all the research I’ve done regarding pet friendly businesses (I know this is getting better), doggy day care, pets at work schemes etc, it just feels like Dublin/Ireland is quite anti-pets compared to other cities around the world.

If you could take your dog part of the way on public transport*, that would help a lot I bet. I’m very mindful of phobias and allergies but there could be a way to manage it. *I think some DART and train services allow dogs at certain times?

Anyway I’m just ranting as life would be much more manageable, more affordable, and less stressful if pets could be integrated into life more and you illustrate just one example of why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I walk a lurcher, not mine. Also a rescue. And she'd walk for miles if she could. She is excellent on the lead. Also she's very good with people. Loves people. And not bothered by traffic ...lovely dog. I'd say she's half sheepdog.

So, don't give up OP. Probably just need time. Gradually build up the distances and noise exposure etc.

Maybe take her on that route in quieter times, e.g. at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

How about a few treats in your pocket to dish out to encourage her when she sits down. Once she gets the idea, you can cut them back or only occasionally. Way to most dogs hearts & heads is through their stomachs! That's what the postman reckons anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭digital_d

Hi there, your dog sounds like a similar mix of breeds to mine (rehomed last January) Lurchers have a real variety of energy levels and stamina depending on the mix of breeds and age (mine is 5) and personality. We know greyhounds and lurchers who will be exhausted after 20 mins and others who can go for hours.

In general, our guy is not that great with long walks he prefers more frequent shorter ones - he does need time to recover for example on a Monday/Tuesday if we have been out a lot with him at lot at the weekend he will only manage about 2x20 min brisk walks or 2x30 slower walks on these days But, I'm pretty sure if we built it up over time he'd be ok with more, at one stage he was getting 4 walks a day. We also have to increase his food to keep him going if we have got a more active few days. He does not have a lot of fat on him so there is not much in reserve, we find small changes to the amount we feed him can change his energy levels a lot. Generally, if he is tired/hungry he is less attentive and more distracted on a walk. He also sometimes just decides enough is enough and plants himself firmly so I know the standing staring and not moving situation!

Maybe try and build up to it by having a quieter weekend (still with exercise just a few shorter walks) and allowing time for some breaks along the way on the walk to/from work (with a treat and water) I've also found my pre-work walks are a lot more relaxed for both of us if allow plenty of time, he seems to pick up if I feel under time pressure.

Lastly - our guy loves his routine and follows his better than I can plan my day, but sometimes takes a while to get used to changes in it, for example when we first got him I was in the office 5 days, and my partner worked from home. When he started to go to the office 2 days a week and I started to work from home it took a good few weeks for everything to settle down (he'd not walk beyond the end of the street with me, or give me peace to work, displayed subtle separation anxiety) with a good few weeks of patience and some lunchtime walks to see his favourite human, and giving lifts to/from work he got used to it, now he's 100% relaxed on the two days I'm at home with him He also seems to recognise the different routines that come on these days compared to weekends, or days I'm not there etc., but I guess I'm just echoing the replies above that say just give her time - time to understand that although you're taking her away from the comfort she's getting used to, there is a cosy office snooze coming, before the walk home, time to get used to the office as well as home etc.

Our guy was also choosey about where to pee at the start, and toilet breaks needed a bit of a walk around before he's go. He's now got a few regular spots so it's a quicker process. He also seems to prefer to hold some back to do lots of little pees on a walk and we have to give him a good bit of time to sniff around and choose his spots on most walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

Thanks for the advice everyone. I completely understand why she is so terrified, it's too much for her and she's not able for it. Our return walk home on Monday was very stressful, it took an hour and 15 mins to get about 500m up the road so I rang my sister to collect us as I had no way of getting her home, but unfortunately before she got there there was a very bad thunder storm with lightening which scared the poor dog even more, so it was a very bad day for her. I decided after that it was best to have her at home, she is very comfortable and relaxed in the house and I didn't think it was fair to put her through a stressful walk. I've been able to get help from family members and friends to stop in on her during the day and take her out for play time etc and I've been doing very short 'no pressure' walks before and after work. They are still very stressful for her, even sometimes when she is outside the house she will freeze and there doesn't seem to be anything to trigger it.

In answer to questions about parking somewhere on route or shortening the distance, I managed to get parking 10 mins from my office today through a favour of a friend, but it's only for today and tomorrow. But even that 10 mins was too much. I have noticed she responds really well to other dogs, and in a couple of situations where she was frozen in fear, if a dog came up and she interacted with them she perked up a lot. I met a couple of other dog walkers who spotted her looking nervous and they walked a bit of the way with me and when she had a dog to follow she found her stride again.

She is also very relaxed in the office, she loves the attention from everyone and will happily snooze away or play with her toys.

I have spoken with the shelter about it, they have given similar advice of very slowly building it up over time with her which I know she needs. Unfortunately it is very difficult for me to do that, I need to be in work and I can't work from home. I can do before and after work walks with her and some days could get friends or family to drop in during the day to play with her and take her out but I'm not sure it's fair to her either to leave her on her own so much.

I am just fostering so i will talk to the shelter and see what they think. I think she would be better suited to a home where this is another dog that can help build her confidence or even someone that works from home that can take her out a few times during the day and slowly build her up to the noises of the city. I'm not sure I'm the right fit for her, but I will do my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Terrier2023

she may have a very bad back story and her fears are real she needs 3 weeks to settle and 3 months to believe she has a home. i have two rescued lurchers and they are great, lazy as hell 15 mins gallop about in a field and then they sleep all day . She will be this eventually but not yet. She may have lived outside in cramped noisy dirty conditions, kicked and hollored at lurchers are often in the hands of you know whos and they have no empathy. Once she pees & poops in the morning leave her she'll sleep for about 5 hours let her rest at home for a good while yet, fitting into your work is not correct yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭delboythedub

I walk my Yorkie X twice a day for 1 Hour each time and no issues. Stick with it

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Donadea lad

I have 2 golden labrador that I want to put for adoption. 4 year old female and 2 year old male.

Anyone interested

caravan dwellers cant say exactly but have witnessed the cruelty and the aftermath - they have no empathy for their sighthounds barely feed them and let stray breed and live in filth every rescue is full of the aftermath of these protected peoples sighthounds. Give your hound time they are worht it but 4/ 5 hours alone at home in comfort is bliss for her.

I could post endless reports of cruelty towards animals perpetrated by Irish people not belonging to any particular minority. Is it safe to assume that all members of that group are animal abusers? Please stop and think about that for a moment.

And just in case it needs saying, I abhor animal abuse no matter who it is perpetrated by. You will never hear me defend it.

Yes its not only safe to assume its sadly fact. I am a volunteer with a rescue and believe me every call out to their places of residence for one reported animal always involves about 10+ neglected ones. They dont neuter and if a sighthound breaks her leg out lamping for rabbits / hares they leave her there with no medical help.; I have seen it all and thats before i mention the horses they ARE a cruel bunch and the women dont like animals so they dont even see the cruelty and allow their kids to carry on the bad habits of the fathers. its a disgrace they are also behind the horrendous puppy farms so dont give me woke inclusive dictums spend a day in a rescue and then come back to me with your inclusive love for these runts with a capital C.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Terrier23,

I've warned you before, albeit under one of your several re-reg accounts, to calm down on posting your opinions that could get both yourself and boards into bother.

You can hold whatever opinion you want, but you can't necessarily use boards to express those opinions.

Thanks,

DBB

Advertisement