Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

What happened with Tubridy was that he agreed a great deal with RTE from his perspective. He knew it was a great deal and kept his mouth shut. Its something most people would do in a similar situation.

There is nothing to suggest, there was anything illegal about the deal or underhand. However there is plenty of evidence that the person/people who negotiated the deal with Tubridy were incompetent. When you are negotiating with your employer/customer you generally try to get the best deal you can. It's expected and perfectly legal. It's one of the reasons we have trade unions. Are trade unions bad because they use the extra leverage they have to get extra money? Should employees/trade unions/companies have to audit the accounts of their employers/customers?

All this focus on Tubridy ignores 2 huge problems in RTE. One the internal controls around invoices and payments are inadequate. Two it's not clear to management what deals it negotiates with suppliers/employees/external talent. I appreciate with these two issues there are no heads to put on a pitchfork but they are far far more serious than anything Tubridy has done. Focusing on Tubridy let's RTE off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It was cancelled after consulting with the NUJ according to the journal.ie not by rte taking a solo run.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

No but it is his responsibility to check his bank account. The blind man on the street knows if you are getting the salary Ryan Tubridy is getting you are going to check and see where the extra funds came from. I don't believe for one minute he didn't know about the extra payments. His accountant would surely negotiated on his behalf. I think it's damage limitation for Ryan Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭gifted

I reckon that a lot of the presenters will be leaving soon as they won't get any where near the money they are getting now....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

RT has not come out to say he did not know about the 150 k paid to him, has he?

He absolutely would have known he was being paid this amount for a contract/work that did not take place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The rates aren't absolutely exorbitant. Don't forget that the money isn't just to compensate you for the petrol/diesel/electricity you use, it's also to cover maintenance/wear and tear etc. on your car.

Mileage is as below.

You don't get mileage for every mile you drive either. No mileage for commuting, only for driving for work. You also only get paid mileage for whichever distance is lesser (either from your home to where you are working that day, or from your base to where you are working that day).

And as regards subsistence:

You get it if you are at least 8km away from your home or base for at least 5 hours. That's a grand sum of €16.29. If you are away for more than 10 hours, you get €39.08.

2020 and 2021 thousands people losing their jobs and businesses closing and under huge financial pressure. Wtf was RT thinking in taking these payments..was there nobody with an ounce a common sense (from an optics look) to advise him…

Kind a thinking that cash greed might not have even been the reason. Just a stupid level of self-importance might be more apt?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why would they advise him? They never thought it would be discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So we now know Tubs earnings, and the legit ones for Claire Byrne, Joe Duffy, Brendan O'Connor and Miriam.

It appears all the big hitters are coming out and telling us what they earn.

Eagerly awaiting D'Arcy, to see how much he's getting, cos the man is stealing a living.

I am not necessarily talking about his agents/managers, just anyone in the know that could see how something like this would look if it got out. But maybe, as you allude to they were all too greedy and thought just take it, shur nobody will find out.

• Advertisement

Well said. There is no smoke without fire. Like many people I liked Ryan Tubridy. I felt he did an excellent job during the pandemic. It may sound like I have him hung drawn and quartered before the truth has come out but he didn't help his cause with that very unconvincing statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,281 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It appears to be underhand in multiple ways.

He lied by omission in not correcting the public statement from RTE - most people aren't in that situation, so it's irrelevent.

He lied to his colleagues about his solidarity pay cuts - would most people do that?

He didn't seem to provide any services in year 2 and year 3 to justify this €150,000.

If he was a footballer or actor and this money for nothing from Hollywood or an oligarch, it would be a totally different story.

But these are public funds and someone whose career is based on his reputation to speak on current affairs.

My posts are in reply to those who seek to excuse Tubridy of any fault in this scandal.

I disagree that 'all' the focus is on Tubridy. It is entirely valid to hold Tubridy and RTE to account. You will find no post from me putting all the blame for this on Tubridy. It goes much deeper than this. At this stage of the 'scandal' though Tubridy is the one in the spotlight. Dee Forbes resigned - to dodge PAC perhaps? But I expect the questions you have asked about governance will be at the core of what PAC look into.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

We'll have to agree to differ then...extremely generous rates per km. Subsistence overnight is €167 and meal allowance €39.08. No problem with any of this when expenses are actually incurred but a lot of wise guys in this country. Part of the culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

He absolutely knew but who else knew?

This leads onto the excellent online publication The Currency has been doing some great stories on this but sadly they are tainted as their co-founder Ian Kehoe is on the RTE board. How can they can continue writing stories when one of their main men is stuck in the middle of the action keeping stum.

Maybe but where will they go? They might get jobs in the independent sector but either way the won't get quarter of the salary they are getting in RTE.

Why, where else would they go? Nobody else in the Irish Media landscape will pay them top Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Not sure when his contract is up for renewal. Thats another big question. And if he will be paid off. FOI request would probably find that out.

RTE would probably pay his contract of several years in full, then hire him back next year, hoping people have short memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

According to Duffy today, the way his contract is structured is that if RTE say they no longer need him, he's done.

Whether Tubridys contract is the same remains to be seen. He did after all have the presence of mind to get RTE to guarantee his appearance payments in the event of a sponsor pulling out. Remember RTE thought that unlikely, but he did get his guarantee.

So he's clearly a guy that likes to cover all bases contractually.

The other thing that Duffy said today that was interesting was that when it came to extending his contract recently, there was no negotiation. It was a 5 min conversation to extend on the same terms. Given the financial stress RTE are under, I would have expected them to push Duffy at least a little bit. RTE seem very soft when it comes to their "talent"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

They never thought it would be discovered.

And that, Judge, is the key point

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Yates reackoned there was all sorts going on too.

They need to fess up now to whatever,if they leave it and more comes out later it'll really be the end of the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Reading Dee Forbes statement, she sounds clueless.

She calls Tubridys 75k a cost saving for RTE, even though RTE issued a credit note and were losing 75k in advertising revenue.

She also says Renault only made one payment of 7k.

If she is as committed to telling the truth and restoring RTEs reputation as she claims, she will attend Oireachtas hearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

RTÉ summer staff barbecue has been cancelled following consultation with the NUJ. (This is not a joke)

RTÉ keen to avoid a grilling :) (This is a joke)

The NUJ branch representing RTÉ employees has called a lunchtime protest tomorrow, with supporters encouraged to attend and bring placards. 

It appears that whenever public money is involved that phenomenon known as a bottomless money-pit appears. The Children's Hospital and now RTE are 2 great examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Have they come out with Kielty's deal yet? That should be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

People on here are still (bizarrely IMO) defending the two x €75,000 payments from ‘21 and ‘22 and the majority of the focus seems to be on those two.

What was striking about Dee Forbes resignation letter was that even she claims to not know the source of reasons for the payments from 2017-19; which can only mean there are others involved. I never really had much time for Forbes, but she didn’t act alone in crafting these payments, or concealing them.

There’s clearly a lot more to come from this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,281 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I don’t think you can question their bonafides on this.

Tom Lyons was asked about it today and said he questioned Kehoe on this from a “have you done anything wrong here?” point of view. Kehoe replied in the negative. He also stated that he informed Kehoe he can have no part in the Currency’s reporting of the story, either as a writer or editorially.

Lyons has been everywhere on this from Primetime to a variety of Radio shows. He has absolutely filleted RTÉ, Tubridy, Kelly, and Forbes at every opportunity. He has not held back.

let me put it this way, I would have immeasurably more faith in The Currency covering this from now on than RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Is the Toy Show musical going ahead this year? I heard it's being sponsored by Renault.

• One thing all the various scandals have in common, they often eventually float to the surface like a corpse nefariously disposed of in water. Of course there must be plenty which don’t do in a timely manner, but on the whole we eventually tend to hear of stuff although individuals and organisations may have suffered great damage in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

Now you're talking.

He knew about every cent but announced he was taking a pay cut.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement