Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

• There's no chance Limerick will pummel Galway. It will be a very tight match either way. Same for other semi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭dmakc

*or up against a team that drew the winners and beat 2nd place in Munster. Christ above... I hope you're not a fan of horse forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya it should be 2 very tight games but I always get the feeling this 1 of the 4 will blow it like Clare did last year.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭C4000

Hannon is a big loss for us. He has been the linchpin of Limerick's defence during our period of success and there is no obvious replacement. I'd be slow to move Dan Morrissey out of a full back line already missing Sean Finn, and moving Kyle Hayes from the wing would blunt his attacking threat.

Ideally you'd just make a direct replacement without having to shuffle other players around. Would be a big gamble to slot Ronan Connelly in given a total lack of playing time, but he is a natural centre back and it would minimise disruption elsewhere.

• Advertisement

It will be Hayes or Byrne's in I would say.

I agree we can't take Morrissey out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

From a Limerick point of view I am very worried about this semi final. I also cannot see Clare beating Kilkenny. A glimmer of hope for me though is Galway show a reluctance to see games out.

I have a feeling what we saw from Tipperary on Saturday wasn't just a symptom of their preparation. But of the toll the season had taken on them up to that point mentally, especially the Munster campaign and it could manifest in Limerick and Clare again also.

I went to the double header on Saturday as a neutral and for 30 minutes Clare didn't impress me one bit either. I thought they looked lethargic but were just up against vastly inferior opposition. Off the boil for long periods. People said last year against Wexford that once they won they could move on mentally but it wasn't the case.

The Tipperary and Clares I watched in the flesh in Thurles and twice in the Gaelic Grounds were not at the same level to those I watched last Saturday.

It's not a fitness or conditioning thing as Clare and Tipp lasted well for the full games. It's above the shoulders. In all fairness to Dublin and Wexford there is a gulf between them and the top teams. Typically they need a team to have an off day when it comes to the business end for them to have a chance. That's just the reality of it.

2019 Tipp v Laois

2022 Clare v Wexford

2022 Cork v Galway

2022 Clare v Kilkenny

2023 Tipp v Galway

2023 Clare v Dublin 1st half

All under performances in my book. And not just againt Galway or Kilkenny, but Laois, Wexford and Dublin too. Coupled with our least impressive showings in the latter stages last year also.

If I was a betting man, I'd lump on Galway and Kilkenny. This years Munster was great entertainment but I think its come at a cost. We've had 4 weeks but again it's not physical recovery we've to worry about in my book. Asking amateur players to peak mentally again and again and again is a tall order. Galway and Kilkenny can bridge the Provincial to all Ireland gap much easier. Does anybody really think Galway and Kilkenny were at full pitch in Leinster? That if they played this years Wexford or Dublin in a knockout quarter or semi final in the All Ireland that the games would be as close as they were in Leinster? Not a chance.

Galway to win the All Ireland this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭pgj2015

when are tickets out for the semi finals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Spot on, your buddy threeball on the Galway thread doesn’t agree though.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭C4000

10am tomorrow for Limerick v Galway 12pm for Clare v Kilkenny. Season tickets out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Galway also failed to beat Dublin and should have lost at Nowlan Park if Kilkenny had any bit of killer instinct when 5/6 points up. Granted Galway were unlucky in the Leinster Final having dominated the opposition for a good 20 minutes but they had left themselves with a big deficit to pull back. And were nearly caught last Saturday as bad as the opposition was They won't get away with that often. They won three games from six in Leinster, and for the second year running ran into a very mediocre team in the quarter final which eased their way.

This is very ordinary team with many players who have their best days over them. And a manager who will lack ideas when the pressure is in. I'm amazed how excited people have gotten over the fact that they were not destroyed in last year's semi-final. An awful lot being read into that. It'll be the same end result again this time

There is no doubt Kilkenny and Galway have a massive advantage. Kilkenny should qualify for every All Ireland final under the current format. But that does not necessarily make those teams good enough. Kilkenny will beat Clare alright. Clare have too many injuries/knocks and rely too much on Kelly who thrives on loose ball but won't get that in a semi-final.

But Galway are not going any further. And even if they do they will lose the final to Kilkenny any day of the week. With that manager, when the pressure comes in they will lob high ball after high ball in. When a team does to them what they did to Tipperary they will quickly revert to type.

Other than the Galway view your post is a rarity around here - interesting, original of thought, and not cliché-ridden. I think the view of battle fatigue (if I can put a name on it) has merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

So that's the first time Galway have won three championship clashes on the spin against the old enemy. They have now beaten Tipp on four of the last five championship clashes. I also remember Galway hammering Tipp in the 2017 National League final. Tipp were hopeless that day if i remember right.

I thought Tipp were dreadful on Saturday and i don't buy this excuse that Munster took a lot out of them. I heard Liam Sheedy mention this on the Sunday Game last night. Maybe they were a bit spent for the Waterford game after the Limerick draw the week prior but they've had plenty of time to recover both mentally and physically and a handy training game v Offaly.

Winning a solitary game in the last two championship's (not counting Offaly who are out of their depth) and departing this year with a whimper suggests that Tipp are just not good enough at present.

I don't think former great players like Seamus Callinan, Bonnar Maher and Noel McGrath have much more to offer. A lot of the newer lads looked very average on Saturday.

Putting former midfielder Breen back fullback and former wing back Kennedy to wing forward all seems a bit like putting a square peg into a round hole.

Liam Cahill looked very deflated in his post game interview on Saturday. Maybe he realises the job is going to a lot more difficult than first imagined.

It may take a while for Tipp to be dining at the top table again.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley on

Maybe because he has a Minor All Ireland, two Under 20/21 titles, a National League, a Munster Final and All Ireland final appearance at Senior level behind him?

He took a Waterford team nobody rated to an All Ireland final. After their bad year under him they got a new manager and won one game when it was no use to them. He brought a Tipperary team nobody rated out of Munster - they had won no game at all last year. Any of that is more than you'll ever do.

You wanting someone to be criticised for your viewing pleasure is not the same as it being deserved.

Luckily for you you have your keyboard to warrior the sh*t out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Yes not a bad managerial CV at all. Cahill wasn't making excuses on Saturday either. He knew Tipp were lucky to be within touching distance near the end. He will know how big the job is to try and succeed with this Tipp team more than anyone.

You rate Tipperary highly then? Can't say I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I was making reference to the fact he escapes critism where most other managers recieve critism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭MfMan

The Dublin match was Galway's most untypical though. The Kilkenny clashes show how close both teams are. You could make a strong argument for 3/4 last-4 teams being ordinary by most metrics.

Who are the Galway players with their best days over them? McInerney certainly. Their other experienced players, Joe Cooney, Mannions x 2, Daithi Burke (best CHB in this year's championship), Whelan were good on Saturday evening. The challenge is for the newer players to consistently reach the standards set by these.

My point is your form logic makes zero sense. You are denigrating Galway by virtue of their opposition: beating a team that "failed to beat 4th and 5th in Munster".

Yet the same logic says Galway beat a team who drew/beat 1st and 2nd in Munster. You make zero sense.

I don't hear much TV criticism of managers in hurling to be honest. (Obviously you'll get the haters on-line) But on television the people commenting invariably are former players/colleagues of them. All very soft soap calling-the-manager-by-his-first-name stuff (a privilege usually afforded only to Kilkenny players/managers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭BarneyJ

Been catching up on the posts on here. All the talk of the 'x' best team in Munster and the 'y' best team in Leinster reminds me of Kevin Cashman's articles for one of the Sunday papers (the Sunday Tribune I think) back in the 90s. He seemed to have a serious grievance against Limerick and didn't refer to them by name, instead he referred to them only as 'the third best team in Munster'. He did this throughout the 1996 season when they won Munster after epic clashes with Clare in the Munster semi-final and Tipperary in the final. It used to drive me nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Waterford were in an All Ireland Final in 2017, saying nobody rated them when Cahill got there in 2020 is a bit much.

Some people here don't have much good to say about that manager either.

What has three years earlier got to do with anything? Tipperary won the 2019 All Ireland title. Three years later they couldn't beat Kerry. A lot can change in three years.

Galway went within a point of winning an All Ireland title in 2018 and two managers later have still not even been back in a final.

Obviously it doesn't suit you to acknowledge Cahill getting a team to an All Ireland final as an achievement (on top of quite a good under-age record) but let's see Shefflin or Brian Lohan do it. And they are both just one game away now.

Waterford's record between 2017 and 2020 (no games won in either 2018 or 2019) only serves to make the achievement even more worthy. Weird that you go back to 2017 and ignore that massive shadows of 2018 and '19. That's trying too hard to make a point.

Since you have ignored the question I'll answer it for you. As I predicted here ahead of the game (and was contradicted by several), last Saturday was a no lose game for Galway against a poor team. You can try to big them up if you like but it's a poor team with a horrendous record.

But Galway nearly found a way to hand it to them in the same way the found a way to hand a Leinster title (and an All-Ireland final appearance) to a middling team they had outhurled by ten points or so for the previous twenty minutes.

That's where Galway are at. That team, like their manager, is an illusion. Their best players were at their peak in 2016/17. Any time they meet a proper team they fail to win. That will be their fate in a couple of weeks even though if they get within 3/4 points at the end we'll have to endure the "could of won" nonsense for the next 12 months again.

My rating of Tipp is irrelevant to the conversation, and it's not a Munster / Leinster thing. It is calling you out on your dreadful logic. You're slating Galway as they beat a team who (in your words) "couldn't beat 4th/5th in Munster". If you weren't clutching, you could equally say Galway beat a Tipp team who drew with 1st and beat 2nd in Munster. You haven't the foggiest notion what will happen in the Galway Limerick semi.

Try come up with something better than horse form analysis when making a point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I have no argument with the idea that the Munster championship is the more competitive and exciting of the two. It's self-evident. What I do contest is the way that this fact is then used to denigrate the Leinster teams in the All Ireland series: for many armchair analysts, every conceivable result is further evidence of the superiority of Munster.

For example with the semi-finals:

If there is an all-Munster All Ireland final, this will be irrefutable evidence, if it were required at all, of the superiority of Munster hurling, because the truly great Munster sides showed their class against the middling opposition from Kilkenny and Galway.

If there is a Kilkenny-Galway All Ireland final, this will be irrefutable evidence, if it were required at all, of the superiority of Munster hurling, because the energy it required to get out of Munster was the reason they couldn't then beat those middling teams.

This argument is not new. I've been hearing it since the 90s, at a time when, with hindsight, it's clear that Leinster was for a brief time the more competitive province, and during the period of Kilkenny's dominance of the sport (2006-12ish?) it was repeatedly brought up as an explanation for that dominance.

If I was to argue, quite simply, that Galway are better than Tipperary, or that Kilkenny are better than Clare, what evidence would people making the arguments above accept in support of that thesis? Winning a knock-out championship match is apparently not sufficient evidence, so would like to know what would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭MfMan

So what will your logic be if Galway beat Limerick in 2 weeks time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭cosatron

Don't worry he will change the narrative to suit his argument more than likely limerick had too many injuries or munster championship took its toll on the players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

Mod Note

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Advertisement