Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭coolbeans

You don't want me to do that tbh. You're against the war in a let the Russians have what's theirs kind of way. You hard leftists with your notions of moral purity nauseate me. You were banned on that thread and here you are again promoting your peacenik let evil be done as long as we have nothing to do with it spiel.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Then they should be easily defeated... no?

And yet here we are, yet again, mired in another never ending military conflict.

You're getting sucked in by the hype and propaganda. Like so many people have in the past.

We were told how backwards and pathetic the Afghans and Iraqis were. (Not to mention the Vietnamese - going much further back). Have you forgotten all of that? Those crafty Taliban didn't give two fooks how great or powerful the cocksure yanks thought they were. Two decades toiling in the desert for nothing. And some useful idiots in the west, think the Russians can't pull off the same thing here? lol

(the same type of bird-brains who likely think NATO is some all singing all dancing dominant military alliance)

The Russians will draw this thing out forever. And we'll be duty bound and committed to this conflict FOREVER... another fine mess by our genius western leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

If nato put boots on the ground or even provided proper support them yes easily defeated

The Russians are the laughing stock of the world, they might even defeat themselves

It's Russian created this mess, they are responsible

The real light it has shone on is the wasted of money spent to defend against a country of morons

The only people who made even a bigger mess of Afghanistan was the Russians

Now that was a moronic mess

You're a chancer. Nothing more.

You're putting words in my mouth that I never said, just to suit your agenda. Lazy.

The reason I was banned on that thread, is because there is a cabal of pro-western imperialist zealots who run that thread. If you're not on the big imperialist warmongering train, you're persona non grata... that thread is a hideous revolting pro war gore fest. It's best avoided by anyone with an ounce of civility or self respect. Getting banned from such a thread is a badge of honour as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement

Blah blah, and the efforts to support Ukraine are a proxy war by the evil USA and NATO against poor, innocent, mild mannered Russia just trying to do its own thing according to you. Useful idiot is a phrase very suited to you. Now, jog on and shill for Wallace/Daly etc. Sure you've got it all figured out.

Btw, being banned is a sure sign that you can't debate.

Right, well that's obvious... NATO is a massive group of nations.

Russia is just one nation. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a big grouping of nations would defeat one nation... has anyone ever seriously suggested that Russia could take on a massive alliance of nations on their own and win? I've literally never seen anyone make that argument?

But we are watching a nation heavily supported and backed by NATO nations, and they are struggling to defeat Russia. This is a Russia that has been consistently characterised as being weak and pathetic and generally a bit useless on the battlefield... so this naturally begs the question of why this weak and pathetic military power has not been defeated yet?

It's not a particularly great advertisement for NATO military capabilities or expertise on the battlefield...

That is, of course, if you're simple minded enough to swallow all the propaganda about the Russians and this war. Which unfortunately many people are...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Given we would be committing to spending a chunk of our gdp on military equipment definitely yes. The government would have to indicate what public spending they would be cutting to cover it.

Your lies just keep coming. NATO is not at war and no matter how much you wish it it does not make it so.

Your CIA paymasters gave you the wrong intel.

This is Ireland. We don't use terms like "jog on"...

Like I said, lazy effort... you're very transparent.

• Advertisement

As I said, useful idiot. Every one of your posts serves only to entrench this point. Thank you.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to submit my expenses to the CIA. It's the end of the month like 🤣🤣.

They got their asses handed to them by a much smaller nation man, the Ukraine , it was shamefull of course they couldn't defeat NATO with a proper army navy and airforce would whoop ass it would be a joke

I'd say it's shamefull to be Russian

I never said they were.

Do you really believe all the propaganda around this war? Or do you just WANT to believe it?

Anyone with even ounce of common sense, has got to be questioning the garbage they are being fed in the media at this stage, when they see the actual results on the battlefield...

That's a very interesting ass-handing... why are they still occupying Ukrainian land so?

You've been duped, and duped bad my friend.

Like I said, our western leaders have gotten us into another pointless never ending war. And it's because so many of our citizens are so easily fooled by propaganda. They wouldn't be able to get away with this nonsense without it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Are you proposing referenda for everything that involves spending more than 1% of our GDP? Deciding spending priorities is close to the primary reason we elect a government in the first place.

Your problem is you think you know it all. NATO is holding back because, as I said, it's not at war. It's aiding UKR in a limited way.

You should stop appealing to common sense, as even you must realise it's not common and adds nothing to a debate. It's a meaningless nothing phrase.

The media is not one unit btw. There are thousands of credible and not so credible outlets. Just shouting... but the media... is the siren call of a buffoon who thinks they're onto something that nobody else has realised. That's the reality, it's cloudy, it's nuanced but that doesn't suit your apologising for the Russian gangster state narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,189 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If ever there was something that should be put to the people in a referendum, it's whether we should or shouldn't join a military organisation.

And I would absolutely be voting no on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭nachouser

We're not joining NATO.

Their whole army has been decimated

No tanks

Thats how you lose a war, their mercenary wing which was doing kost of the fighting has run off

This is the late stages of defeat

A referendum is a basic pillar of democracy. You're, literally, put the choice before the people. It's difficult to think of something more democratic.

• Advertisement

No just it adds to a number of cons of joining nato coupled with getting into a military alliance with garbage regimes like Turkey . Without a referendums I think it will increase the support of sinn fein and that s something I wouldn't want. They also didn't get elected based on this idea so they have no authority from the people to do this.

It is not the stated policy of any of the government parties to join and its not remotely imminent.

However, demanding a referendum of matters of state that are already constitutionally solely the purview of the Dáil is a questionable precedent to set.

If a party has it initially in its election manifesto then I would agree but if not then why not bring it to the people through a referendum. Joining a military alliance is a big decision so it would be pretty underhanded to vote on getting rid of along standing national policy without consulting the people either through a manifesto or referendum.

Sure everything is the purview of the Dail untill it isnt

For something as big as this you should ask the people, just like joining the eu etc, enshrine it in the constitution

• Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And in what context could this be put to the people? What constitutional amendment is required?

What makes you think any party would do this without it being in the manifesto in the first place? Nonetheless, governments need to react to situations that are very different from when they were elected and we elect them to make those decisions.

Joining the EU required a referendum. I suspect if in some distant future the government mooted joining NATO there would be cases brought to test the constitutionality of the decision without one also.

"Should Ireland join NATO"? Vote Yes or No.

Do you know what a referendum is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yes. Do you know when and how a referendum can be called in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There is no fear of us joining NATO, they don't even want us anyway.

The hysteria from the crusties and the commies was hilarious over the last few days.

• Advertisement

I know why they had a referendum because they had to give the laws of the eu supremacy over our own because of the constitution

If nothing else is added to the constitution to set things in stone then everything will be the pervue of the whims of the dail

Advertisement