Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,511 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So these are examples of the trans bans prevailing in the courts? Not sure what you mean. Plaintiffs having their cases sided with as they advance through the courts is prevalence to me. I suppose you could go with a glass half empty argument for now though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They are mostly examples of nothing being decided in courts yet. Injunctive relief might be indicative of final outcomes but its far from a guarantee. Nonetheless, specifically in the first case you cited its not even a positive for the case against the ban, its bad news and in the third case it has nothing to do with the substance of trans bans in sports at all.

They are mostly examples of nothing being decided in courts yet

Which means the motions to dismiss and the lower court attempts to quash their appeals, failed.

They're all cases indicative of the Trans Panic, and they all are going to fall legally under familiar jurisprudence like the 14th amendment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

That doesn't answer my question.

You seem to have less knowledge in this area than myself.

If someone is making the argument that a biological male should compete with my biological female daughter and share a changing area with her in a sport that has male and remale categories, they'd better be able tell me why.

It's got feck all to do with trans panic.

• Advertisement

Motions to dismiss are frequently dismissed. There is, obviously, a very high bar for them

Obviously they'll fall under familiar jurisprudence. That doesn't change the fact that they are not examples of transwomen bans in sport being overturned by the courts - there is only one example you've given that might eventually be considered that. One of the examples you've given is allowing an appeal to continue to its almost inevitable failure and it looks like one of them is a number of states trying to overturn federal criteria to potentially implement stricter rules.

Motions to dismiss are frequently dismissed. There is, obviously, a very high bar for them

I have no idea what you are talking about, because ~97% of federal cases are dismissed. Maybe you meant as frequently as 3% of the time the motions fail?

Becky Pepper-Jackson is 12-years old.

I'm talking in this case about athletes who transition as adults.

And I'm discussing the entire subject that arises out of fixating on the OP, such as users like yourself going on to bang on about trans sports bans over in Texas. Circular argument.

I had never heard of her until this. Using a 12 year old child as some sort of argument about men competing in Women’s sport. What is wrong with you?

• Advertisement

Talking about children who haven't underwent puberty is irrelevant to the point I'm making.

I'm talking about athletes who went through male puberty.

Earlier I asked you the following:

Do you accept that if testosterone reduction were sufficient, we shouldn't see the kind of rank jumps -- often by hundreds of places -- that we've seen with Thomas and other trans athletes, when they transition from the men's division to the women's division?

Your response, on this specific point referring to trans athletes who have underwent male puberty (i.e. Lia Thomas), was:

Maybe, but that might not be the case for all trans athletes, like Becky Pepper-Jackson.

"Maybe", so you admit when it comes to adults that lowering testosterone is insufficient. There is a clear biological advantage in these cases.

"Maybe", so you admit when it comes to adults that lowering testosterone is insufficient.

Why would I make such a sweeping conclusion based on data from only 1 swimmer, for the whole of sport, everywhere? You seem desperate to jump to definitive conclusion there to suit a political narrative.

But there's more than 1 case.

Let's put it another way: why do we only ever see trans women achieve a significantly higher rank and win to a far greater extent when they enter the women's division, but we see almost no cases of trans men achieving a higher rank and winning against men to a greater extent than when they enter the men's division?

What do you think explains that discrepancy?

But there's more than 1 case.

When I introduce more than the 1 case you cried foul.

My question stands on its own merits:

Let's put it another way: why do we only ever see trans women achieve a significantly higher rank and win to a far greater extent when they enter the women's division, but we almost see no cases of trans men achieving a higher rank and winning against men to a greater extent than when they enter the men's division?

If you don't want to address the question, that's fine. But it's a very reasonable question to ask, and it underscores the advantage that trans women have in a way that we simply do not see with trans men in professional sport.

First of all that website is referring to civil cases and the vast majority of them end in settlements. A motion to dismiss due to settlement is still necessary.

It is completely irrelevant to the cases we are discussing here. The fact that some appeals are going ahead is simply not indicative of what you seem to think it is. Though if you think the federal courts are going to step in and override the growing number of policies in this area, you are welcome to wait for that.

Alot these trans suits are civil cases what is your point

You can read my conversation with Enduro regarding the right of the swimming SGB to self determine.

• Advertisement

They are not civil cases looking for financial restitution. There is nothing to "settle". I do not know the exact terminology for what to call them is in the States, but they would be Judicial Reviews in this part of the world.

You are putting a ridiculous amount of import on the mere existence of certain cases (the circumstances of which don't actually bode well for your point).

Right, they didn’t settle, and the defendants motion to dismiss it on the cases merits, failed.

The only thing ridiculous is your attempts to act like these cases are of infinitesimal relevance.

There is nothing to settle!

The first case you listed is literally allowing a case to continue that had been paused due to the expected impacted from another concurrent case. It has now been restarted because the concurrent case has finished and the appeal against the transgender ban in that case failed. The case that has restarted has restarted for purely procedural reasons and looks doomed.

The third case is Kansas looking to block federal rules - they are not doing this to enable further trans participation in sports.

With respect, that has nothing to do with the question I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Enduro

If you're arguing that the FINA/World Aquatics document is a good approach, and if that's what you mean by a more holistic approach, then I can only completely agree. It's an excellent set of rules, clearly well put together taking on board a wide range of opinions and expertise. I'm happy to concede that that is a much bigger range of factors under consideration than simply Farness versus Inclusion. But I do think that that is the core issue that they were aiming to resolve.

It also reaches a very solid set of conclusions. The main one pertinent to the subject matter in this thread is that all transgender athletes are free to compete in the sex category which they are eligible for (On the basis of male and female defined by sex characteristics defined in the document). If you can see why that is the case, and accept it, then frankly we're in agreement.

It's worth noting that one thing it takes no account of, quite rightly, is any political considerations, whether it be democrats or Republicans, Conservatives or Liberals, Biden or Trump. All quite rightly not remotely a factor.

I don't disagree in any way with what you're saying about each Governing body deciding its own rules for its own events where they have the jurisdiction (in sporting terms) to do so. And we can agree that if they take a similar approach to FINA/World Aquatics then that would be a good thing indeed,

To be clear, I'm disgusted with athletes, whether trans or not, being used (and abused) for political points scoring. It's mainly an issue with the childish remedial level politics endemic to the U.S. political system (I'd say both sides, but that expression in itself is why U.S. politics is at a remedial level. A flawed democracy), but unfortunately is infecting a few other countries as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 zozimus

This is a rather tired old trope. Firstly - no medical intervention is advocated before someone is 18 unless there is a demonstrable medical need. That need is always psychological. If you want any proof that that's a valid justification for some kinds of intervention in very rare cases, then just look at detailed suicide statists.

Better still - worry about your own issues and trust that others will deal with theirs with love and compassion for the individual involved. If you can't understand empathy and trust then that's something you can work on. Just leave Trans people alone - they've enough to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

With respect, that is a bit of a side step from the core issue at hand in this thread, which is letting biological males compete against biological males in competitive sports.

Just leaving trans people alone wouldn't exactly make the playing field fair or even or equal in the world of sport. You are putting emotion into a discussion that has quantitative metrics to back and show the massive differences between males and females in the sporting world.

In a social stance, trans people should be totally free to identify at they want, it impacts most in no way at all. There will always be bigots of course, so maybe focus on that part and now the central issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

Found this piece in the Guardian to be very relevant, and maybe a sign that things are changing.

Still amazed at the audacity of Mermaids to try and do such a thing. Seems it has backfired, and a few questions now need to be asked about Mermaids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It's typical of that movement tbh, unless you are completely and utterly entrenched in their world view and their world view ONLY, you are an enemy and deserve to shrieked down.

• Advertisement

It's typical of that movement tbh, unless you are completely and utterly entrenched in their world view and their world view ONLY, you are an enemy and deserve to shrieked down.

That description is exactly how any extremist movement would be described, and justifiably so.

It's the religiosity factor -- a faith-based version of reality coupled with "you're either with us or against us" mentality -- that characterises all forms of extremism. No nuance, no debate, no allowance for even the slightest criticism. Accept all, or you are "the problem". Gaslighting on top of it all.

What women athletes are being subjected to today is a version of that exact same religious fervour.

Advertisement