Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ionity charging network

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Redfox25

The cards/rfid chip is so handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,760 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ChargePoint.

I had about 3-4 cards for Ionity that I never used, and then proves blew up…..

first time I ever used Ionity was with ChargePoint card and worked flawlessly each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭vinniem

Can this card be used on all chargers in Ireland? Also outside Ireland? Thanks

Not sure to be honest! I have an eCars card and EasyGo app if I use those networks.

Chargepoint works with Ionity anywhere in Europe though. I’ve used it in Lithuania & Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭vinniem

Ah great thanks Andy, I'm using ionity lately but sometimes the app can be cranky.. I'll get one of those ChargePoint cards.

I think they pre charge your card in €20 blocks… so if you use €22 of charging, they’ll charge you €40 and you’ll have €18 in credit with them… you’ll only be charged €20 again when you go over the €18 credit you have etc..

and that’s fine by me… I just like having a card over an app..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

The regular Hyundai card works with Ionity across Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Yes, I just signed up.

A benefit I was not aware of is access to ESB DC at 55c/kWh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I was just at my local circle K and some of the Ionity Chargers have been removed and replaced with what looks like dummy boxes baring the Ionity logo. Only four remaining. In all fairness, the bays are forever empty. It just shows with all the giving out that goes on about chargers, there are some places that they just aren’t being used. Relocated perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭brimal

I thought there was always 4 there and the dummy boxes are to show they are parking spots for Ionity customers waiting to charge.

CityNorth Ionity has the same setup (with just 2 chargers)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There's only 4 chargers there, none of the Irish sites have more than 4 chargers yet

They always install ducting for additional chargers, usually up to a maximum of 6, that's probably what you're seeing

EDIT: I should probably qualify that answer that I've only seen Gorey, City North and Kill, the others might not have extra spaces

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Ahh okay. My mistake. I was sure there was more in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There were only ever 4 stalls there.

I've been there quite a few times when there's been 3 or 4 in use at a time.

The last time I charged there there was a Leaf charging on the ESB unit and another Leaf waiting. I plugged the Ioniq 5 into Ionity, went in used the toilets, grabbed some McDonald's, ate it in the car, put the rubbish in the bin and grabbed a coffee. The leaf was still waiting while I pulled away. I'd always use Ionity when it's a option and because I so rarely charge on the public network I don't mind paying a little more for the speed and convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭silver_sky

There's not much difference in price between ESB & Ionity now anyways, and as you say it's convenience

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Is there a thread on the best method for public charging?

I don't have an EV but am considering a Tesla. I don't have home charging but can charge at work. Trying to work out the options/costs for public charging.

So far I have come across mentions of esb, ionity, applegreen(?), elli, chargepoint (?), monta.

I was at an ionity charger and was talking to a Tesla driver. He said it was no problem and he reckoned it was working out cheap for him. He had a subscription with ionity and by the sounds of it just uses them. But when I looked afterwards I couldnt find any clear rates (specifically for Tesla).

I was on to elli also. They just say to download the app but be aware that the Plug&Charge feature has been deactivated by Tesla???

I would be very grateful if someone could advise of best option to use for public charging (particularly for Tesla).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Depends where you're going, Tesla rates are cheaper than Ecars, Ionity, Applegreen etc. different on each charger, and have a peak time around 5pm, cost around 50c vs 75 at Ionity for example.

You might get cheaper Ionity with some annual subscription that makes sense if you're using it a lot. If you're just doing ordinary mileage then charging at work should cover practically all your driving. Have a look at a better route planner (app/website) and you can try the different cars over different routes.

In 3yrs with a Tesla I've used Ionity twice (had to try 2chargers both times to get one to work and some were iced) and Ecars once in Mayo, fine but slow. Tesla suits all my other routes. Never had to wait, never had a broken charger, car always charged and ready before the humans.

But if you only drive(for example) Monaghan to Donegal and back then Ecars is your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Thanks for your reply. I just wish there were more Tesla chargers and that the whole charging thing was a bit more user friendly.

Speaking about Tesla in particular, the best option for public charging is the supercharger network. This is exclusively for Tesla and doesn't require any RFID card or anything, just plug in and go

I would recommend getting a home charger if at all possible. As well as being much more convenient, it's often a lot cheaper to charge your car

Since you don't have a driveway, you'll probably need to speak to either the management company or council that owns the car park where your car lives. In general, councils will just say no but people have had some success with management companies

For the work chargers, you'll want to stalk them for a while to see how busy they are. With the popularity of EVs and price of electricity, they could be quite busy, especially if they're free to use

Living on public charging can be done, there's several people here doing it already. You'll want to look at an app called Plugshare to see what chargers are available in your area

I'd also recommend looking at an app called A Better Route Planner, you can use it to preplan some long journeys you might take to get an idea of what's in store

In general it's pretty easy with a Tesla though, they've the benefit of the supercharger network plus they can use other networks

It can be quite tricky to figure out the best rates

In a way the charging networks are more like broadband networks than petrol stations

You've a company that installs infrastructure (Ecars, Ionity, Tesla) and you can either buy charging directly from them, or go through a 3rd party provider (Elli and Monta).

There are deals available for some providers, generally paying a monthly subscription will get you cheaper charging

Different providers will give you different levels of access to networks, for example Elli works with Ionity, ESB Ecars and several others, but doesn't work with Applegreen

Do your research and have a clear picture of what you're getting into. Like many others here I love driving EVs and will never go back to ICE unless I'm forced to. But there is a learning curve with them so better to do that up front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭innrain

Tesla cars can charger at any public charging network in Ireland. So far the Tesla Supercharger (SuC) is for Teslas only. The best was to find the chargers around you is to use plugshare app which is community driven.

Regarding Ionity the best rate I found and is still valid is elli.eco the tariffs on the website are for Germany so you have to look for the tariffs details for each package. See the pdf at the end of each package description. I use last one which has 35c/kWh at Ionity, 37c/kWh at AC chargers and 47c/kWh at DC ESB for 13 quid a month (I think it is 15 now ). That is pretty good value for public charging all considered. Easygo and the new Applegreen networks are not included. Easygo used to be my preferred network as I have one of their DC chargers at work but it got very expensive and I use it only if I really have to. Don't worry about the Plug&Charge function.

There are many more that are sort of aggregators and have very little of their own chargers but provide a platform for others to sell and use their network

Chargepoint and Plugsurfing or Shell are some international players but we have some domestic ones like ePower or MyGocharge. Anymore questions shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eltoastero

The only issue I've had with the elli app is the charger power figures are all over the place in my app (I'm seeing AC 22kW units appearing as 78kW, and 50kW DC appearing as 104kW).

But, it looks like i'll be replacing my Kia Charge + IONITY Power sub with the Elli "Drive Highway" sub (Kia Charge now has a fee of €0.93 per kWh for non-Ionity AC & DC chargers - so there's no value in that).

Interesting, in the We Connect app for VW they have a lot of chargers down twice

For example my nearest ESB charger is down as two locations in the same car park, so it looks like there's two AC chargers beside each other rather than one

Edit: Actually it seems that AC chargers are double counted but not all DC chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

Just bought a polestar, nice surprise to discover they have a deal with Ionity, 35cents per kw if u use the polestar Ionity app

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eltoastero

Enjoy, great car! How long is that deal for? Presumably just a year but it would be ideal if it was for longer. And any other reductions via that app (say on ESB chargers)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Lads a bit of help please.

I might need to use Ionity at gorey tomorrow. What's the deal? Can I just rock up, tap my card and start charging or do I need to download an app and add payment details?

Cheers 👍

• Advertisement

I think you’ll need an app of some sort….

I don’t believe they accept cc card tap to pay..

Cheers Andy. I "might" be ok without it.

If you download the Ionity app you should be able to select a charger and pay without registering

I just tried it myself and got all the way to inputting the card details without registration

I think they put something like an €80 hold on your card though, so make sure you've enough on your account

Nice one lads!! 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

It was for one year but they renewed it for a second year, no other discounts on it at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I used Ionity Kill last week when I picked up my Model Y. Tried tapping card - no joy. Had app preinstalled - got as far as authorising payment and charger saying "preparing to charge"....but no further. What worked in the end was scanning the QR code on the charger and using their web portal. Other new MY owners there at the time also had similar issues.

I used my brain instead😂.

Stopped in sandyford this morning and took on enough juice to get me there and back!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I've seen reports that the QR codes were on the wrong chargers at some locations. There have also been scam QR codes so have a close look at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

I think for the app you need to go through all the steps before plugging the car in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Where exactly are Ionity installing chargers?

If true then yes they will count it although because Ionity is already part-EU funded they are unlikely to be making a significant investment towards them

They are unlikely to be the ones installing them themselves either, way too much trouble. And EU funded Ionity would probably count under the "Irish" definition if they do have that requirement

My worry would be that they phrase it as "12 new fast EV charge points" so if Ionity or Tesla do a hub of 6 then they're already half way there.

Great if you're living near the hub with a compatible car and/or willing to pay the Ionity rate, not so great otherwise though

Here's my stock image from the Ionity thread, I have it saved for when this question comes up 😁

Black markers are stations that are going to be added by 2025... supposedly

There's no details on the exact locations, the only one reasonably certain at the moment is the one near Belfast which looks to be at the Kennedy center

I suspect the council will get either Ecars to EasyGo to install the DC chargers and will probably scatter them around the city on public parking spaces since that means they're on council land, no messy leasing agreements needed

Ah I see

If they get it done in the next 6 months then yeah it would be counted I think

They (Ionity) won't be done in 6 months that's for sure

Anything more than 4 chargers requires planning permission. And putting in new 1.5MW grid connections will likely require new transformer stations which also requires planning permission

One of the reasons so many charging stations use a single 50kW unit is because they can just use whatever infrastructure is already there and don't need an upgrade. That's why I suspect the council will do that and just put a bunch of chargers either on street parking, or on some council owned car park (or both)

However if they just asked Ionity or someone to come in and open a HPC hub that would be pretty awesome too

So if anything other than 12X50kW is being installed they would likely have to be sitting on Planning Permission today?

I'd still take it honestly as it's better than what's currently available in Waterford. Especially if they spread out those 12 chargers over 6-12 locations

I believe the planning exemption is up to 4 charging spaces can be created from existing parking per site

So you can put an Applegreen style site in with 2 HPC chargers without requiring planning permission (I believe this is what most of the current AG sites have done). Three such sites would give you 12 fast charging spaces and be a decent offering for Waterford IMO, as long as they don't put any of them on the Applegreen near the M25 with the crazy shop owner)

But you can't create new parking spaces where they didn't exist previously, hence why I think the council will use it's existing parking spaces

At a very minimal level, they could put 3 sites with 2x50kW triple head units and 4 parking spaces each. This would (badly) fulfill the requirement of 12 fast charging spaces since you'd have 12 spaces which can theoretically access a fast charger (as long as the other space is using AC or empty)

As I've said, I'm hoping Waterford CC have a bit more ambition than that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The exemption allows up to 4 distinct charging units and a substation. 4 High Powered Chargers (like Applegreen tried to roll out in Ballymount) are allowed along with a substation.

The development has to occur where previous planning is in place for parking spaces and no closer than 500m to an existing charging hub under the same regulation.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2021/si/115/made/en/print

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Applegreen Holycross Service Station Butlerstown Co. Waterford. Planning for 6 charging stations and site works for the same still pending, awaiting further info now. https://www.eplanning.ie/WaterfordCCC/AppFileRefDetails/2360156/0

I think this is the station where the owner blockaded the ESB charge point, right?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yes that's the home of the infamous picnic table eCars charger.

Looks like the council have asked for further information including

(a) The Planning Authority has concerns regarding the size and scale of the proposed electricity substation to serve the 6 no. proposed electrical charge points and the requirement for such a large electrical substation. The developer is invited to address this issue with robust justification for a such a large electricity substation or alternatively to submit revised plans for reduction in size of same

It's Ionity so it will be a substation for 6x350kW.

Ionity are putting a hub there???

Holy crap that's going to be some show. Can't wait to see how the Germans try to figure out what to do when he cable ties the plugs into the chargers again 😂😂😂

Or when the owner tells the tourists coming off the ferry from Rosslare and driving the Copper coast that they're driving a "pedo's car" again

Or the now famous picnic table

What were they thinking? 🤦‍♂️

I just hope there's something in the agreement saying that the owner gets fined if he blocks the chargers in any way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

1. He will need to get a few more picnic tables.
    2. He will be a happy bunny, he always hated Nissan Leafs.

😋

I think the definition of charging points applies to the ability to charge one individual car, not the charger itself, although I'll admit I didn't see it spelled out in the document

I mean you could create a 16 car hub using 4 chargers since some of the Delta units can have 4 plugs on each

This would seem to be a pretty wild interpretation of the existing exemption

The irony of the council holding up charging stations they've pledged to create 6 months ago

I highly doubt it's ionity, most likely applegreen own brand, and similar to the 12 car hub they had planning for in Dublin it's gonna be a lot smaller when it's built

I thought it was a black Model S that he said was the pedo car?

I wonder will they make him move his murder shed 🤔

Charged there a few times, I heard stories but never actually met the man, it was a handy one for driving between Dunmore East and Tramore

Maybe he saw me and my 6ft rugby playing brothers and decided better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 tigerbalm_eu

Looks to be IONITY for sure. They outline the charging points in one of the planning docs that shows both the unique ABB chargers for IONITY and mentions IONITY in the diagram details.

Advertisement