Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,189 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

When there is a possible amendment to the constitution.

However, our joining of NATO comes with many strings attached and may have an impact on our policy of military neutrality in the future. And that is why it would be important to put it to the people of the country. Joining NATO makes us a target for NATO's enemies and something like that shouldn't be a thing to be blaise about.

It's only the armchair generals who won't be putting a tin hat on and going off to fight in the wars that NATO gets involved in that are looking for this. It'll give them something to yap about on the social media accounts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is, to be fair, non-constitutional referendums referenced in the constitution. Interestingly the burden is on vetoing them rather than approving them, including a turnout requirement which could certainly get messy.

Article 47

1° Every proposal, other than a proposal to amend the Constitution, which is submitted by Referendum to the decision of the people shall be held to have been vetoed by the people if a majority of the votes cast at such Referendum shall have been cast against its enactment into law and if the votes so cast against its enactment into law shall have amounted to not less than thirty-three and one-third per cent. of the voters on the register.

2° Every proposal, other than a proposal to amend the Constitution, which is submitted by Referendum to the decision of the people shall for the purposes of Article 27 hereof be held to have been approved by the people unless vetoed by them in accordance with the provisions of the foregoing sub-section of this section.

I still don't think they are a good idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'm not speculating just saying that I think a party should have it in their manifesto or hold a referendum. Considering nato is basically an anti russia alliance and Russia is so weak now I can't see an occasion where we would be forced to rush into joining ala Sweden and Finland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

• Advertisement

Our policy of military neutrality a)is something of a fiction and b) was never put to a referendum either.

This isn't about being blasé about anything. Direction and control of the Defence Forces is quite clearly a matter for the government.

I'm ambivalent about joining for what its worth, but we don't really know what will happen in the future. However, joining NATO is, if its ever going to be on the table, quite a long way away and I'm sure will be in manifestos etc. It would require years of investment in the defence forces for one. If it is indeed an emergency situation then that is what we have elected governments to handle.

Why, it works fine for the austrians

You even used the word defense forces, the idea is in the name

No, our policy was never a "fiction". We are militarily neutral in that we don't get directly involved in other people's wars. That doesn't mean that we can't have or express an opinion on those wars or the conduct of the countries involved in them. Or that we can't send non-military aid which we do.

Since the foundation of the state, that policy has served us very well and it should continue.

However, getting involved in NATO changes the paradigm completely and it will inevitably place a target on our heads, whether we like it or not. More than likely what would happen, certainly in the short term, is we would become a static aircraft carrier for armed US military aircraft and personnel, much like Britain was in WWII. Because, realistically, we don't have anything else much to offer.

In any case, we aren't joining NATO. There's no political will for it and there's certainly no public desire to see it happening, that's for sure. So, it's all "moot", as Varadkar said last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It is a country in the far East of Asia, near Japan and South of Mongolia.

Its the most murderous state of the last century and ruled by a party with the most murderous ideology in human history.

You surely have heard of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

So given its location and our location, why is being mentioned in a conversation about Nato? Is Nato going to swerve to being both an anti China and anti- Russia military alliance now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I understand that our neutrality is enshrined in the constitution, so we do have a say on NATO membership as any change to the constitution must pass a referendum, I stand to be corrected, but that is my undestanding.

We have no need to join NATO anyways. So we shouldn't, only people interested in war join military alliances. We have enough problems domestically.

I understand that our neutrality is enshrined in the constitution

It is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I believe the constitution says something about us not being involved in war unless the government decides to, so not really any amendment needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

I’d propose that anything that may send thousands of Irish troops to be grist in the NATO meat grinder should 100% be voted on. These will be your children, my children, everyone on heres children, and their children’s children.

What NATO meat grinder?

Our govt make decisions that will impact our lives and the lives of our children to a far greater degree on a very frequent basis without constant referendums.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Neutrality is not "enshrined" in our constitution, other than in reference to Article 29, section 4, subsection 9, which states that "The State shall not adopt a decision taken by the European Council to establish a common defence pursuant to Article 42 of the Treaty on European Union where that common defence would include the State."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

The north atlantic treaty organization was recently trying to get India to join (nato+).

Nato has changed.

It was about the Ussr and Europe and the cold war, but that era ended. A great idea for the time, the name was appropriate.

Now its just slowly drifted and morphed into a projection system for US geopolitical and macroeconomic interests.

The name is no longer true to its new mission of promoting Americas interests around the globe.

Im glad that nowadays we can all all agree without a single dumb objection that Russia is exposed as a paper tiger and that any attempt by them to invade the greater western European continent would end in their disasterous defeat. Incapable as they are to even beat Ukraine without nearly sparking internal collapse.

This wasnt always the case in the recent past when we would often be reminded that the only thing between us and complete Russian control was good old Nato, and that therefore we should all get down and thank the lord for the US, ... not that its a US institution.

No, Europe can and is developing its own means of taking control of that job.

Thats where we belong. Not in some American led circus looking to have India as a member

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

I don't remember the referendum to send soldiers to UNIFIL.

Nonetheless, Ireland's defence forces (like the majority of NATO) are an entirely volunteer force.

Irish soldiers aren't there in a fighting capacity. They're there as Peace Keeping Forces. There's a very large difference between putting boots on the ground in an uneasy strategic situation and boots on the ground in an active shooting war.

And Ireland's commitments to Peace Keeping efforts are well regarded and renowned.

Will have to disagree on them not being there in a fighting capacity though indeed they are not there in an active offensive or defensive capacity.

Where have NATO put boots on the ground in an active shooting war? The closest thing is Afghanistan but the invasion was not an Article V mission and did not involve all of NATO, and it was a later UN resolution to ask NATO to take over and Ireland even sent troops there. NATO member states have engaged in other conflicts, but that is not the same thing.

Sorry, no. There is no "agree to disagree" here. Irish troops are not involved in an active shooting war over there. They simply aren't there in a fighting capacity at all. They were assigned as part of Peace Keeping efforts along the armistice demarcation line as part of a UN operation which was developed in the settlement between the opposing forces. The troops are not there at the behest of a particular side. They aren't allies to or co-belligerents to either party. They are an entirely neutral element.

This has been the stance of Irish Defence Forces serving abroad since the 50's, whether that was part of UNOGIL, UNTSO, ONUC, UNFICYP, UNEF or UNIFIL.

We do not send Irish troops to these hot zones to fight for a particular side.

They may be neutral, but they have and do engage in fighting at times. Being neutral didn't stop 48 Irish members of UNIFIL unfortunately dying. I'm not massively interested in getting into the semantics of what "fighting capacity" actually means though.

And yes, its a very different scenario to boots on the ground as an active participant in a warzone. But again, when have NATO as an organisation actually been involved in that kind of thing? The mere act of joining NATO is not going to condemn Irish soldiers to some meat grinder somewhere as seems to be a common perception. I don't think Russian forces are going to be landing in Bantry Bay, but its equally important to point out the excesses of those who seem to think every member is somehow involved in constant warfare.

They can engage if attacked. In other words they can DEFEND themselves. But they are not there to fight. they are there to patrol hot spots of contention and keep the peace which occurs largely through their presence. But there's nothing in any UN Peace Keeping effort to say that the elements employed on them can't use arms to defend themselves. That would be madness.

And, BTW, the military is all about semantics. The meaning of things become very important when life and death is at stake in a foreign land.

The mere act of joining NATO is not going to condemn Irish soldiers to some meat grinder somewhere as seems to be a common perception

Perhaps not. But, as I said, it will, more than likely, will make us a target for NATO's enemies where we otherwise wouldn't be. Simply put, we have more to be worried about if we join NATO than if we continue on our present policy.

For the record I think the idea that Russian Forces landing anywhere in Ireland is absolute nonsense too, given the fact that they couldn't even handle a campaign in the next door neighbour's backyard. Not to mention the fact that they have absolutely no interest in doing so either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd say it definitely should go to a referendum, joining NATO would be a huge change in current policy and culture and should definitely not be up to the whims of a government that can change every handful of years.. let the people decide and then you've made your bed and have to stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The Russian invasion threat to Ireland is overblown and the realm of fantasy but they are a threat to our national security nonetheless

The thought struck me earlier that just as we are living between ice ages( a distant but inevitable concept) we are probably living in a period between invasions from our nearest neighbour. I’m telling ye it will happen again the Brits will be back. We mightn’t see it if we are lucky but our future generations will. It’s only a few short years since 30,000 British soldiers were stationed a few miles up the road. And only 83 years since they last seriously thought about invading. If British needs dictate that Ireland needs to be secured for their interests then that’s what will happen.

They are bigger and more powerful than us and are right beside us have a contiguous land border and they have that imperial mindset baked into their DNA lying latent and somewhat silent at the moment but there nonetheless.

And I don’t hear the RAF complaining about having to patrol our skies. And I don’t hear British military or politicians complaining about us not pulling our weight militarily. On the contrary it suits them to the ground. A strong Irish army and airforce etc would raise more than a few eyebrows across the pond.

Post edited by 20silkcut on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 davidlynch2016

No, Never. Ever. Imagine we were involved in WW2? could you want that for your children? Im a 100% resounding no.

Advertisement