Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Yeah there's two of them. We want the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

What about Connor Gallagher, presume we are short of homegrown players, young enough to have a sell on value,got no run this year but looked good for palace last year, obviously Chelsea need to sell players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

If we have aspirations of trying to win the league again,then no. If we are happy to qualify for the Europa league then maybe....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

He's a tidy player but that's about it. Mount would be worth the extra if that's the way we were going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's a good player alright, but for our next midfield addition I think i'd rather someone with a bit more of a physical presence.

Wouldn't be too surprised if Chelsea end up hanging on to him though, they're losing a whole load of their better midfielders so actually look a bit light there now... assuming all the ones expected to leave do actually leave, they'll just have Fernandes, Gallagher, Loftus-Cheek, and Chukwuemeka. Maybe Zakaria if that loan from Juventus is made permanent, but he barely played so it probably won't be. Of those, only Fernandes is top class, with Gallagher probably next in line. For all their buys, they've a super unbalanced team - still need another proper CF along with Nkunku, and need a few higher-calibre midfielders too really. Such a mad project there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Thuram would be a great talent to add, he's raw but has great potential. I think klopp could make him top notch. As for Gallagher I wouldn't be bothered at all with him he's never done it at a bigger club (no disrespect to crystal palace).

Mount would be great but the price would be an issue but imagine getting him for a lower price after United failing to land it ha it would make it all the sweeter and more importantly I think he fits in the Liverpool team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

A 22 year old and a 24 year old would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

There has been the same speculation for the past month. There's an agreement in principle between Liverpool and the player's representatives. Transfermarkt values the player at €32M however the club president and Sports Director have said that OGC Nice will only listen to offers of over €60M.

They have made it clear that they don't want to sell the player this summer unless they receive an offer that is too good to refuse. PSG had expressed an interest in Thuram but then signed Manuel Ugarte from Sporting. So the only way that they are likely to get a high fee is to entice the likes of Chelsea or Newcastle to make an offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yep Nice appear to be in the driver's seat unless the player wants out. They are owned by Ineos so money isn't a big deal really to them you'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

There is some weirdness going on with Chelsea and who owns what in the club and Saudi teams buying players from them. Football really is a mess with authorities allowing states to take ownership of teams. What a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Feels like we’re back in 2015 here lately, between the Europa League football and the return of the in-jokes.

Dig out that list Owayn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

My only hope is that when it all implodes Liverpool might come out of it in a healthier state and could take advantage.

But the cynic in me thinks that too many people are pocketing massive amounts of money and even if some controversy brakes it will be ignored or brushed aside.

I don't actually think there's any nefarious controversy behind the scenes at Chelsea (at least based on the information we have at present), there's just some big risks and dodgy decisions being taken. They're getting a bit lucky with the timing of the Saudi league making such a big push as it's been an outlet to get names off the books early in the window, but it's not unique to them - any big names that are either out of contract or in bad situations are being picked up, with the fees paid being fairly normal (though the wage packets on the other end definitely will not be!). It looks curious, but if those same Chelsea to Saudi deals were spread across European clubs, i don't think we'd be particularly surprised at the prices paid. For instance Chelsea are losing Koulibaly for half what they paid for him a year ago, so not exactly being bailed out. Mendy is going for only 16m which is a steal, and another hefty enough loss for Chelsea. And of course Kante went on a free.

But totally agree about the way the league deals with things that are corrupt or controversial regardless... turning a blind eye to the obvious state ownership of Newcastle being a real kick in the teeth of their supposed rules. And even if the league don't choose to ignore it for a decade before acting (as they have in City's case), the actual process of trying these cases seems like it can be dragged out for so long as to be pretty much irrelevant. In 3 or 4 years will City particularly care if there's an asterisk beside their titles from a decade previous? The only way to actually make a firm point would be to strip the titles, and probably relegate them, but I don't see City's army of lawyers allowing that to happen.

With the clubs who actually follow the rules watching on in frustration, if a statement verdict isn't made I could totally see a collapse of the league with a replacement league (or ESL) popping up in its wake. The ESL's last push was too much, too soon - had they been more calm and clever about it, I think it would've happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

With the owner of Ineos still in the conversations for buying United it would be strange for him to sell to Liverpool and strengthen us unless we meet their asking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Diaz is our new no 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The latest from Liverpool's summer spending spree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

I've just moved home after a number of years in Australia so haven't been to a game in a long time. I promised my nephews I'd bring them to Anfield but getting tickets seems a lot harder than it used to be! It's getting the membership worth it or best to sell a kidney and go on a tour package?

Diaz some how gets a pass when it comes to performances, but the guy is a total flop since his arrival, yes injuries played a huge part, but isn't that always the case when we sign someone, we break them with intensity . All I know is the man hasn't done a thing in a Liverpool shirt, as of yet. Next season hopefully will be the true start to his Liverpool career, he had a part season last season, and a part season the season before, no momentum. He needs 50 game seasons 6 seasons in a row going forward, not this thing of 13 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Diaz came in, settled pretty much immediately and helped the team win 2 trophies.

Before his injury last season in many games he was the only one who remotely looked like he could make things happen and in certain cases was the difference.

Hes incredibly high energy and a nightmare for defenders to track. Hes anything but a flop.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

That Diaz take is literally the worst take I've heard about football in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Eh Liverpool's form picked up last season when he returned from injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If Bajcetic takes the 23, then that’ll be another midfielder sorted too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

What player have you been watching?

He played well in the second half of 2021/22 and at times at the start of the season just gone, Napoli and Crystal Palace spring to mind off the top of my head, he was single handedly trying to make us look not terrible.

Good man Toby, you can always be counted on to lob in a grenade and get some activity going. You've saved me the trauma of having to go looking for the thread.

Your sacrifice will not be forgotten. 😍

Ah to be a success at Liverpool I want to see Diaz play 45 games plus every season, I want to see 15 goals at least, with 8 assists at least, not just huffing and puffing and promising, it's time to deliver, huge season incoming, hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

mental.

absolutely mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Are we any closer to signing anyone, seems to have gone very quite. I hope Mac Allister isn't our only first team signing

AT that price, an only signing, and to lose Firmino, Milner, OX, Keita, and then to sell others and make back the 35m we spent on Mac Allister , if that happened it would be time to protest. I truly believe we'll spend 100m more in this window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Christ, Toby has woken the dead with that comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

That's a very strange take on Diaz. You normally have your stats about right but this time you are all wrong. He came in like a Tasmanian devil and didn't stop until his injury. Caused chaos in defences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭FluffPiece

G'wan Toby! Wave yer sausage about and wake up them there pandas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

There's a grain of truth in the Diaz thing all the same. Fabulous footballer, looks occasionally unplayable but his end product isn't close to being consistent enough yet. Really needs to become more prolific also. Love him, promising start to his career with us but really looking for more goals/assists next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yeah, it's disappointing the didn't have more players lined up.

Probably to be expected when they only hired the guy after the season.

The very existence of the oil clubs really screws us over. We essentially can't bid on Thuram until we know PSG won't bid. They can turn a €40 million player into a €90 million player with a massive pay offer if they wish. Keeping the player both keen on us and affordable might mean we need to be more ninja than sumo.

Commitment is 100%, he huffs and puffs, but not a lot to show , 4 league goals last season, 3 assists , 4 this season, 2 assists , City have center backs with better stats. Mane had an average of 17 league goals, in last 4 seasons at Liverpool, and Diaz is 27 in 6 months, if not now when.. he needs a good season .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am going to back you on this, and some of what Toby said to a degree.

I love his energy, pace, tenacity etc but too often he runs into a dead end and yeah, he isn't scoring goals at rates we need from our LWF.

Absolutely not onboard with flop comments though.

• Advertisement

He's not peak Mane, but he's a lot better than later stage Mane (at LWF), and definitely not a flop. Peak Mane set a hell of a precedent though, close to Salah's standard, which needs an awful lot of luck to replace no matter how much money you might like to throw at it.

Diaz does cause so much trouble that he automatically draws a second man over though, which means one less person covering the middle and Mo's channel, so I think he indirectly contributes to a lot of goals just with his presence, directness, and aggression. And he does look like he has it in his game to grow his goalscoring numbers too.

A great buy all in all, especially for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Ah this stage what are people's thoughts on realistic signings? McAllister is a great start but ideally I'd like two from Thuram, Gravenberch, Kone, Barella (who is a long shot), Caicedo for midfield and a decent defender/RB. I'm afraid I'll be disappointed ☹️.

What do you guys think is realistic for us. I think this summer is massive for the club, it feels like we're on a knifes edge in terms of falling out of top four on a semi permanent basis and contending for the title again.

Post edited by jones on

Gravenberch is a waiting game. It'll take some time to see how things at Bayern are going to play out and then his future will be decided. Liverpool are the only club to have shown an interest in his situation which begs the question why the club turned down the opportunity to sign him last summer.

OGC Nice don't have to sell Thuram and want to keep him for another season so it's up to Liverpool to come up with a serious offer to make a deal happen.

Manu Kone and Gabri Vega appear to be lower tier targets. They are both available at price points that Liverpool is likely to sanction transfers but once again the club appears to be holding out for the opportunity to sign their top choice players.

There has been some speculation about Lavia but I think that's just Southampton trying to get a club to make an offer, similar to the story about how Liverpool were looking at offering £50M for Ward-Prowse a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It needs to be one more CM and then a LCB first, then another CM if funds/squad space is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

We need at least 3 new midfielders,one down, so two to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't think Diaz has surpassed even Mane's worst season at Liverpool tbf.

I think there is some serious revisionism about how 'bad' Mane was when he left Liverpool which is strange given his performances in the last 15 games of the 2021/2022 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

11 goals and 5 assists in 41 games

He was great as a forward in his last season, but struggled to get into the game off the left - even in games when he’d score, he’d cut a bit of a frustrated/frustrating figure out there before Christmas and his big shift to the middle. His main issue seemed to be his dribbling and decision making letting him down a bit, kept running down blind ally's and running into traffic and giving the ball away cheaply.

He did always offer goals to one extent or another alright though (even if less in 20/21, with long dry spells), but his overall positive contributions during matches dropped way down. I think Diaz positively impacts more minutes of each game he’s on the field in comparison to that spell with Mane in the same position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

This has to be a windup? Worst football opinon I've ever seen expressed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I have no problem saying Diaz needs to go up a level. My issue was with any talk of being a flop.

He holds the ball too long in certain scenarios. His love of running at people slows us down just a tad, so once he can get the decision making on that right, he'll be unreal. He can head the ball, he can hit the ball with both feet, etc.

He'll be fine. He just needs to make better choices in certain scenarios. I find myself in awe of some of what he does, but then also yelling at him to release the ball.

Advertisement