Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I just saw this this morning.

Sinn Fein really can't help themselves, can they? Scratch a little of the surface and the nasty thuggish underbelly gets exposed.

A chance to show that they are part of normal society and they botched it. With the DUP, they are two sides of the same horrible coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I may need to have a lie down, but I fully agree with all of this.

Where we may disagree is that I think the SF bubble bursting could well lead to more of a sanitisation of the Unification discussion. While I don't think it is quite to the same extent as how beneficial DUP regularly are for the Unification cause, ultimately I think SF often do more harm than good for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Heard the whole 'bubble bursting' stuff around the first Asembly election after the GFA was signed too. SF's vote only went one way since then.

IMO they are here to stay as a political force while the traditional Unionist vote is in decline. Much like the south with the FF/FG combined vote tumbling too,(from 86% to just over 40% at last GE) you are witnessing a change in the political landscape island wide.

Who deals with that change best and adapts is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Their refusal to sign the letter, which looks like a small thing, will go down as a bad mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the drop in SF support is probably due to the 'we dont want them foreigners here getting houses' type no longer supporting the party - which is a good thing imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I honestly don’t think this culture will survive into a UI. Imagine allowing your children to believe this is a part of culture.

The Sunday life. The daily mail of OWC.

so this clickbait story leads you to believe all bonfires are funded by cocaine??

it’s only a few posts ago you told us all the pallets were stolen. Which is it?

Where did I say ‘all’. As usual you are inventing stuff again.

You can see the stolen pallets (you cannot buy them) in the bonfires.

The links to paramilitary drug lords is long established with these events, shooting the messenger yet again doesn’t cut it.

There’s plenty more.

Francie. Firstly, this is nothing to do with the thread. But until we are told to get back on thread, tell me about part of your culture you are proud of and give me a wee while to find some horrible stuff about it and I’ll post for you. You are just anti prod, anti British, anti unionist. Here’s one from today to get you started

• Advertisement

This activity is a massive cost to the exchequer and one we can do without in a UI. They will only get bigger as we apprach a UI as they are already used to express hate of the flag and the south.

These kids need to be educated away from the sinister backers and the harmful and sectarian hate aspects of this outdated cultural activity.

There is nothing wrong with less damaging beacons if you truly believe this is culturally important. And I think you will be forced in that direction, why not embrace it.

And this guy is always a good representation of the old republicans. He has a new one every week. I am sure he fills you with pride.

You just don’t want to get it. It’s not just about the fire. It’s about the 3-4 months of crack gathering wood. Beacons might work in the middle class areas who have TVs and PlayStations in every bedroom and go horse riding at the weekends, but beacons won’t cut it where this provides months of entertainment and belonging in disadvantaged areas.

That is nothing to do with me. I never supported anything like that or claim it as my culture.

That’s just a lazy excuse. Children all over this island can be engaged in more beneficial cultural activity without the damaging effect of these things.

The story linked is actually from the Bel Tel, Downcow. Hardly a Republican Propaganda outlet.

Looks like a reporter from the paper known in ni as ‘The Sunday Lies’

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As a matter of interest, do we have any poll figures on the voting preferences of people who identify as Northern Irish?

I’m not sure. It would be interesting to get an overviee rather than some of us posting the polls that suit one side or other

I just asked chatgpt there and am posting its first answer unedited. It couldn’t find data on northern irish specifically, but I thought it’s response was interesting (of course, I’ll admit I liked its answer, hence posting) and I am not suggesting it is definitive.

How do the polls suggest people in ni who class themselves as northern Irish vote?

ChatGPT

Finished browsing

I'm sorry, but I was unable to find specific polling data on how people in Northern Ireland who identify themselves as "Northern Irish" tend to vote. The polling data I found does not appear to break down the results by this specific demographic group.

However, I did find some general polling data that might be of interest. A recent poll shows that almost twice as many voters in Northern Ireland who expressed a preference want to remain in the United Kingdom. Half of all respondents (50 per cent) in Northern Ireland said they would vote against Irish unity, which included 21 per cent of those from a Catholic background. Just over a quarter (26 per cent) in the North said they would vote for unity, while 19 per cent said they didn’t know how they would vote and 5 per cent said they would not vote. The strongest opposition to unity was among those of a Protestant background (78 per cent). Those of a Catholic background were most in favour of unity, though only just over half (54 per cent) of all Catholic respondents said they would vote in favour, with 21 per cent against and 22 per cent undecided​1​.

It is important to note that these results do not directly answer your question, as they don't provide information on the voting preferences of those who identify specifically as "Northern Irish". For a more precise answer, a more targeted poll focusing on this demographic would be needed.

• Advertisement

I asked a supplementary:

That’s very helpful. These are figures on how people would vote in a referendum on Irish unity which is of interest to me. Could you search available polls and give me an average/combined result and tell me if you see any trends emerging?

ChatGPT

Finished browsing

From the recent polls I was able to find, the following data points were observed:

1. A LucidTalk survey for the Sunday Times showed that 41% would vote for a united Ireland if there was a poll today, with an additional 10% saying they might vote yes if a poll was held in 15 to 20 years' time. Support for remaining in the UK was 48%, but this would drop to 44% if the referendum was held in 15 to 20 years' time​1​.
    2. Another poll showed that 50% of respondents in Northern Ireland wanted to stay in the UK, with 27% supporting Irish unification​2​.
    3. A poll from December 2022 showed that 27% of respondents in Northern Ireland would vote for a united Ireland, while 50% would vote to stay in the UK​3​.

From these polls, it appears that the majority of people in Northern Ireland would currently vote to stay in the UK rather than support Irish unification. However, there seems to be a trend suggesting that support for Irish unity may increase in the future, particularly among younger age groups. For instance, more than half of 18 to 24-year-olds said that they would vote for Irish unity in a poll today​1​.

However, I wasn't able to find enough recent polls to provide an accurate average of public sentiment across different time periods. I also wasn't able to find data specific to those who identify as "Northern Irish," so the data provided is for all residents of Northern Ireland.

For a more comprehensive understanding of trends, it would be beneficial to continuously monitor new polls and surveys as they become available.

And one last supplementary, which I think is very fair - and again I post warts and all, unedited.

Is it true that 18-24yr-olds often are more radical and prepared for radical change and as they get older they often become more settled and accepting of the status quo, and if so, how might this phenomenon affect future polling?

ChatGPT

Yes, there is a well-documented pattern in social science research indicating that younger individuals, including those in the 18-24 age range, are often more open to radical change and hold more progressive or liberal views compared to older adults. This has been observed across a variety of issues, including political, social, and economic change.

This phenomenon is often attributed to a combination of factors:

1. Life Stage: Young adulthood is a period of exploration and identity formation, where individuals are more likely to question established norms and consider alternative viewpoints.
    2. Generational Shifts: Each generation grows up in a unique historical context, which shapes their collective attitudes. For instance, today's young adults have grown up in a more globally connected and diverse world, which may make them more open to change.
    3. Cognitive Flexibility: Younger individuals are generally more cognitively flexible, which can make them more open to new ideas and less attached to the status quo.

However, it's also true that people often become more conservative or accepting of the status quo as they age. This can be due to a variety of factors, including increased responsibilities (like jobs, families, and homeownership), accumulating wealth and therefore having more to lose from radical change, and cognitive changes associated with aging.

Applying these patterns to the question of Irish unity, it's possible that while younger individuals are currently more supportive of unity, this support may decrease as they get older. However, it's also important to note that this is not a guaranteed outcome. The specifics of how attitudes change over time can be influenced by a wide range of factors, including shifts in the broader political, economic, and social context.

Moreover, it's worth noting that these are general trends and there can be significant variability within age groups. Not all young people are radicals, and not all older people are conservatives. Political and social attitudes are shaped by a complex interplay of factors, including individual experiences, socioeconomic status, education, and cultural context.

Lastly, the specific issue of Irish unity is influenced by a unique set of historical, political, and cultural factors that may not follow the same patterns as other types of social change. For example, the impact of Brexit, changing demographics, and ongoing political debates about the future of Northern Ireland may all play a role in shaping attitudes towards Irish unity over time.

what the last answer tells us is that there will be a variety of issues at play as young people in ni get older. Granted chatgpt points out that they may not all change away from their increased Ui support as they get older, for the factors outlined. But surely we can all agree that chatgpt suggests there will be some dilution in the level of wanting change as these 18-24s get older.

that’s very bad news for republicans, but it is what has happened historically. Republicans have always been over optimistic based on views of youth, only to be disappointed later. It’s not quite ‘one step forward and two steps back’, buts it’s more like ‘two steps forward and one and three quarter steps back’.

I honestly feel a wee bit sorry for them as I right this, but not sorry enough to want it to change.

it would be wonderful if unionist, nationalists, and others could all throw our weight behind OWC and make it an even better wee country and then see where that takes us. I guess we would all become more at ease with the other and start to respect and even enjoy each others cultural quirks

…..and I couldn’t resist a final supplementary, but chatgpt won’t be sucked into taking sides, but advice is sound.

Thanks, that’s very interesting. I am on an online forum which includes a few extremely belligerent Irish republicans. I struggle with their inability to have any empathy with the few unionist posters on the forum. Have you any advice what I could say to help them be more open to others views?

ChatGPT

Engaging in a productive dialogue, especially on sensitive topics like politics or identity, can be challenging, particularly in online environments where anonymity and distance can sometimes lead to more aggressive or polarized discussions. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Promote Empathy: Encourage participants to try to understand where others are coming from. This doesn't mean agreeing with them, but simply acknowledging their experiences and feelings as valid. You can lead by example, showing empathy in your own posts and responses.
    2. Focus on Common Ground: Try to identify shared interests or concerns that transcend political lines. This could be a shared love for the region, a common desire for peace, or shared concerns about specific issues (like the economy, healthcare, education, etc.).
    3. Encourage Active Listening: Promote the idea of active listening, which involves reading or listening to others' viewpoints thoroughly before formulating a response. Encourage others to consider and address the arguments being made, rather than resorting to personal attacks or dismissing others' views outright.
    4. Cultivate a Respectful Environment: Encourage a tone of respect and civility. This could involve setting clear guidelines for discussion (if you have the ability to do so) or simply modeling respectful dialogue in your own interactions.
    5. Avoid "Us vs. Them" Thinking: Encourage a perspective that avoids seeing the other side as a monolithic group. Remind participants that there is a wide range of opinions and experiences within any group, and it's not fair or accurate to make sweeping generalizations.
    6. Promote Learning: Remind others that the purpose of the discussion is not to "win" an argument but to learn from each other's perspectives. Encourage a curiosity and openness to learning.
    7. Ask Open-Ended Questions: Instead of making statements that can lead to defensiveness, try asking open-ended questions that encourage reflection and deeper understanding.

Remember, changing attitudes and behaviors takes time, and not everyone may be open to dialogue. The goal isn't necessarily to change minds, but to promote a more respectful and understanding conversation.

.....Downcow, you're aware that ChatGPT is an AI bot, not some sort of grand sage right?

I feel like you've found a new toy and aren't quite au fait enough with the technology to under it's limitations.

The reason that people have been excited by ChatGPT isn't because it is infallibility accurate with its answers (the nature of unsupervised learning), it is because it presents the answers in a more human seeming manner.

I think we have discovered where Unionist strategy has come from. 🙄

Fionn you note I began by accepting its infallibility. It certainly isn’t a pope.

I do though think you underestimate it greatly. It’s not a new fangled toy of mine. I have been in it from its launch and it is the most incredible tool and time saver ever to come into the workplace.

as for infallibility, if that’s what you want you will be disappointed. But actually the newer version that browse the web etc are light years ahead of chatgpt even two months ago.

Now, honestly, is there something it said in my posts that you disagree with?

Secondly, there does appear to be a difference in the perception of what Northern Irishness means to Catholics and Protestants. Intergroup contact appears to influence Catholics identity choice significantly more than for Protestants. There are different interpretations of how inclusive the concept of Northern Irishness is to Britishness and Irishness. From this it can be inferred that Catholics, on average, tend to view this as a neutral, overarching identity more so than Protestants. Similarly, there are differences in terms of voting behaviour. Northern Irish identification has a bigger impact on Catholics voting, and there is a much larger difference between the identities of SDLP and Sinn Féin voters than there are between UUP and DUP voters. This data, along with previous work by other researchers suggests that the Northern Irish identity is framed such that it is closer to Britishness. This is most likely a result of inequalities in status, although more research is required before this can be confidently asserted. As there is a long term trend of increasing Protestant preference for this identity that seems as though it will continue, this means that in the future 6 Knowledge Exchange Seminar Series 2014-15 the Northern Irish identity could become less inclusive of Catholics and its chances of being a neutral middle-ground between Irish and British could be undermined.

This is from 2015 but it was clear even then that this identity is split along traditional lines and really isn't a homogenous identity in a political context.

northern_ireland_identity_garry_mcnicholl_policy_document.pdf (niassembly.gov.uk)

That’s a very interesting post. I think it is very reflective of ten years ago. Interesting their thoughts on the future were a bit off, as they thought Catholics would not entertain the term. I think the evidence is that more and more Catholics are very comfortable with classing themselves as northern Irish.

I think that actually emphasises the conundrum for sf. I would disagree that it is a pro British identity. I would say it is an identity that accepts partition. I don’t think Catholics are rushing to declare themselves as British but they are becoming more and more accepting and comfortable with partition

• Advertisement

Downcow, I work in the field. It isn't as impressive as you think it is. To be clear, I'm not coalface; I haven't written a line of code in many years, but I'm dealing with Machine Learning on a daily basis.

Honestly, using it the way you are trying to demonstrates very clearly that you don't understand it half as well as you seem to think you do.

You've presented us with several walls of text that you didn't write. Why would I offer a disagreement? I haven't and won't even read the posts beyond you telling us you had decided to ask ChatGPT some questions.

Why don't you put your answers back into ChatGPT and ask it to disagree with you if that is the level debate is reduced to? It certainly can be used to save time, but why the hell would anyone spend time responding to your posts when you can't even be arsed writing them?

Also, the word you're looking for is fallibility. When you said you began by accepting it's infallibility, you meant the opposite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement