Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

So, just in case, I'm not getting this.

RTE faked sponsor payments, with an advertising credit, in order to provide tax payer's money to their "talent". They just got someone else to sign the cheque. Money was laundered through "sponsors" so "talent" could keep getting tax-payer money. There was never a pay cut, they faked it.

They faked the pay cuts to the tax payer so they could continue to lobby for a greater license fee from the tax payers and funding from government (the tax payer)?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yes. And they still haven't said what exactly happened even though this was identified in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The argument that RTE is a default listen for most people is spurious, individual presenters and journalists do have a fan base individuals choose who they listen to, for example, I will listen to Andera Gilligan on Newstalk but if its click bate I turn back to RTE. I very rarely listen to Pat Kenny even though he's a very good presenter I dislike his arrogance and his bias, if RTE was a default listen no one would ever listen to Matt Cooper.

• Advertisement

So is Tubridy now saying that the agent didn't tell him who was now paying it? It is unbelievable. Truely unbelievable.

• —-

I would never lister/watch Tubridy or Miriam O'C. I detest both. If I watch RTE it's for sport. If I listen to RTE then it's for John Creedon.

The rest is drivel.

I'm sorry now but this is getting a little too serious for an Oireachtas Committee. CAB should be asked to investigate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Why only 4 available to RTE? And if that's the case why were gt appointed by the audit committee to do the current investigation?

I don't get what you are on about regarding PR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

1st one done. Absolutely no punches being pulled, with Messrs Dunphy & Sheahan calling it as they see it.

Saving the 2nd one for the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The media charge is coming regardless - it's a matter of time. What's up for grabs is how much it will be, how it will be levied and who will get it. It is almost certainly going to be broader than the current situation and print type media will be looking to get a slice of it. It seems it will be based on broadband connections as well.

What's also not certain is will RTE in its current guise still exist. I think we are a single revelation away from a major restructuring of RTE, with the splitting of entertainment away from news and current affairs. If the investigations find more secret payments to others then RTE is toast.

A revamped rte consisting of only news and current affairs fully funded from the license fee is a possibility. A new company for entertainment etc could then be set up and it would need to compete for the balance of license monies which would be open to all comers for public service projects. The unions out in rte might need to be careful with what they wish for.

The current model of funding is unsustainable and it will be replaced. It's a matter of when and what that money will be used for. If mass non license paying is what is needed for implementing total reform, then that's what will need to happen. I don't think the current situation with the size of the top ten salaries is compatible politically with license reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sweet Jesus.

I wouldn't be surprised if he legally changed his name to that.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Seadin

Ok but that doesn't give him the right to take money that wasn't his own.

Yes you can blame Rte for doing that and giving it to him but he surely knew that if he was caught especially when his salary figure was published publicly he be in big trouble. It just wouldn't sit right for me if that happened and I was in the public domain and not declaring that I was receiving an extra €70,000 a year onto the my normal generous salary that RTE were paying me.

Usually all these things of corruption come out sooner or later. There's no going back now Ryan, you are finished and your character has gone rock bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't really blame tubridy for this, he named his price and rte met it, his 1st statement was ill advised so the 2nd one went down like a lead balloon. Hope he has a good pension, he's brown bread at rte anyway, career done.

The management at rte sanctioned this, their needs to be a root and branch culture change at rte, or just strip it down and keep the news and current affairs parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Infoanon

In the years to come when we are ALL paying the 'media charge ', the days off that storm in a teacup over the TV licence misappropriations may come back to haunt.

RTE income - circa 50% from advertising despite limitations

TV license - also used to part fund commercial station

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Head to the G.P. tomorrow and get yourself checked out. Your sarcasm detector is clearly fukked.

My god, you need to get checked out yourself, your head has got too big for your body.

A quarter of a million a year and all she did was copy and paste Byrne's statement from this morning...

I now keep seeing "I received no additional fees" everywhere - legal speak to cover arses. Lying without lying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Scandalous the amount of money being paid to these people!

Joe Duffy on over 300K!

I was listening to him today on the radio talking about RT & he appeared

to be more in defense of RT than being critical of him! Eventually turned it off!

Talk about impartial reporting! If these people can find employment in other

fields well leave them go & good luck to them. Bon voyage!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Lol. Do you not get that Sorolla was being sarcastic? Then you follow-on with a hand wringing response where you were basically talking to yourself.

Post edited by Seadin on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I really don't understand how Tubridy is toast. Maybe at RTE yes, but certainly he will have other options outside. That's not the core issue in this. Seems like complete deflection from extremely poor Corporate Governance.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭RoTelly

In the inital years many RTÉ producers basically left RTÉ to set up production companies.

Presenters and producers companies from the past included

Frontier Films (Blackboard Jungle and a few other since, David Heffernan)

Adare Productions (mainly focuses on TG4 content but was set up by Brian Reddin I think)

David Harvey produced Crimeline for years as an indo producer

Indi Pic is different aka Agtel I don't think it had any RTÉ connection, I think it was university based at one stage

Like It Love It (Andy Ruane and Philip Kampf)

VIP productions (Philip Kampf producers of The Restraurant)

I am sure Coco productions as some connection to RTÉ

Tyrone Productions (Moya Doherty)

I mean the list is endless.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭hometruths

If he's toast at RTE, what do think those options are outside RTE?

I struggle to think who would take him if he's dropped from rte?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

PAC meeting recap (in advance)

We cant answer that due to commercial sensitivity

And repeat ad nauseam

Then what PAC should say - fine, you get no more funding from the licence fee, thanks for wasting our time. Hey TG4...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭obi604

Doesn't she just look like a proper ghoul bag

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement