Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭crl84

Overcrowding at certain acts I think. That was definitely a big complaint last year.

In reality though, the total numbers onsite/tickets sold hasn't changed over the last few years AFAIK.

I think it's just that certain acts/high profile slots are pulling more people, along with perhaps a changing demographic of festival attendee, so certain acts are absolutely wedged, while lots of the site is empty....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I tried to go see Bruce Forsythe ten years ago and not a chance you were getting anywhere near that tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its increased massively. Theres 210k people on site now. Was 203k in 2019. And it was already too much.

Noticeable increase since the 00's and all they've added is the Park really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So is the problem adding too many smaller stages ?

Or selling too many tickets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Could the size of tent people are using now also be an issue? The four person tent with a big separate entrance area seems to be a popular option nowadays.

• Advertisement

Too many tickets. The next muddy year when everyone stays on the paths through the markets etc will be a shambles.

Theres queues for everything now. Even simple stuff like trying to get food is a ballache. I like it busy but its just tipped over.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Overcrowded! LOL. I was there in 2000. Now that was overcrowded! (fence fell down). I was back in 2002 and it felt half full in comparison! Obviously site is much bigger now than then.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Ah yeah but that was when the place nearly got shut down!

Seems to be a lot of people getting in these days without tickets. Which is concerning but also impressive!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I seem to remember people claiming it was busy last year as well, but never noticed it myself.

Now admitedly it was standing room only all the way back for Elton with zero chance of getting out of the crowd for a wee. But that was just everyone being in the same place at the same time. The site overall was not crowded, and plenty of room to walk about the market areas and from my wandering around the campsites there seemed to be enough gaps in plenty of fields to squeeze in an extra tent or two. Absolutely nothing like the early 2000s where you'd have tents on top of tents and zero space between them along with overcrowded market pathways as well.

2000 was definitely busy. Since then the numbers have mostly just been what it said on the license application and any overcrowding people noticed is just down to going to the same part of the site as everyone else at the same time, and they are way better at managing crowd movement around the site these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭trashcan

I didn’t see much of it at all, but my (unexpected) highlight was Yusuf/Cat. Really good from him. Great voice, and I’d forgotten how many of his songs I knew. Faultless version of Here Comes the Sun too, one of my favourite Beatles tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There is significantly larger areas for camping than in 2000 with pretty much everything to the west of Pennards being new camping fields as well as some other minor adjustments elsewhere and the fence being gradually moved back around the Stone Circle. Also now have more off site camping options for those with more money, and the campervan areas increased massively too.

There is a selection of old maps here:

https://861fernandoreedkabar.blogspot.com/2023/06/glastonbury-festival-map-2000.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

performance of the weekend must be slash, i wouldn't even be able to remember my name after all the drinking he has done not to mind how to play like that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Quite possibly the greatest ever performance of a song at Glastonbury?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

BAFTA for the Beeb's drone pilot for Elton. As impressive as anyone on the stage.

Yep, but my first impression on watching that clip after being there in person is how different the balance between vocals and instruments is compared to in the arena. Eltons voice was far louder than instruments in the BBC setup than on site.

Not looked at at clip from GnR yet, but whilst Axls voice was obviously dodgy at the Pyramid it didn't really matter so much as the tunes were enough and everyone was shouting/ screaming along anyway. If there was that kind switch in the BBC sound levels though then it would account for why people watching at home were horrified by the quality so much. Less likely to be screaming along at home too so drowning out hearing dodgy vocals from the performers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Well what a week it was. Elton was bloody amazing and I wouldn’t necessarily be a fan but with the back catalogue he has he can’t go wrong. I’m completely broken. My legs and back are fcuked. Shower and a real bed are badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Folks without tickets? Is that speculation or fact?

I just remembered how in 1997 we drove a regular Transit van into the Campervan field and just parked up, with no need for an extra pass. Or if you did, we didn't have one and no-one stopped us. There was loads of room in that field too, i imagine the Campervan fields are quite crowded these days.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just re-watching Queens of the Stone Age there and they are so tight…

it’s actually criminal that the 2 best sounding bands at Glastonbury were on at the same time… (QOTSA & Elton’s band)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

They had to try draw some of the crowd away from Elton but it clearly didn't work. For qotsa fans it looked like a great opportunity to see them up close

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Just my opinion. I thought Rick Astley knocked it out of the park . In the 80's I thought he wasn't "Cool man", but he sang his "80's" set brilliantly. His performance of " The Smiths", later on, went up another level. I'll give second prize to The Pretenders" and Chrissie Hynde , her voice at 71 is something to be admired.

Elton, for me, is not a finishing headline act, maybe a warm up for the finishing headline act. Too many ballads, bit of a bed-time story! Just my two-cents!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Shank Williams

Sounds like it was dangerously crowded at times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Watched loads over the last few days and i thought Måneskin were absolutely brilliant on Saturday.

First time hearing them and they rocked the place, really enjoyed watching them play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Yup! If anyone hasn't watched it, treat yourself. He has a great singing voice and the fun/love between stage and audience broke through the screen! I reckon a lot of Smiths fans left Glasto' with a healthy respect for Rick Astley! Who could imagine that decades ago?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Will have to get my inner ninja on for next year so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Last year three of us walking up to The Park via Pennards for the fireworks had jackets covering our wristbands. We got very abruptly asked by a large group of security where our wristbands were out of the blue. We showed them and they moved on but their manner certainly seemed to suggest they'd have escalated quickly had we not got them. I can only assume they'd had some people get in at that point to be acting that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Fair enough, i thought those days were long gone!

The modern youth really are stupid though, "Hey, lets film all our illegal endeavours". I did some pretty stupid **** when young but i certainly didn't want people to know about it. Not getting caught was the order of the day.

Last time i tried getting in for free was 2002, the first year of the big fence. After a day spent trying all sides of the perimeter to get in we had to concede defeat for Thursday. Got in on Friday, via some wristbands from people we knew working there. It was a weird year, the place seemed empty and much less vibe/atmosphere. Still enjoyed it though.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I worked security there before. It's even difficult to just get near the fence and gates. There's checkpoints at all roads leading to the festival.

I think very few people sneak in for free, although I'm sure people directly involved like traders and new age traveller types have their own ways.

Tunneling is difficult cos it's not just the fence you tunnel under but a metal track for SUVs too. Also there's another fence inside the superfence, so you can't camp right beside it like the article states, but I'm not certain that's true everywhere along the fence.

So the tunnel would need to be a few meters long - maybe 4m.

I've heard of people just legging it past security. Also hiding in vans or trucks of performers and traders.

Hiding in luggage also. There's videos of people sneaking in by a river which goes under the fence.

I think a rope ladder attached to grappling hook or a telescopic ladder would be your best bet, then run as fast as you can towards a crowd and change clothes quickly.

It's not impossible to get near the fence but it is difficult.

I think the festival organizers should consider doing it over two weekends cos it's gotten so popular and hard to buy tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

It is BOTH the weekend after the Solstice and the last weekend in June. Glasto runs from Wed to Sun. Solstice next year is Thursday 20 June and thus the festival is the following Wed 26 to Sun 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Surely the weekend after Thursday the 20th is the 21/22/23. Which is not the last weekend in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Fully agree. There’s no increase in tickets sold nor the allocation for artists, staff, stalls, etc. I assume it’s just the hype for the major Pyramid acts that make them unmissable for many. And the odd bit of bad scheduling like Wet Leg opening The Park last year with next to no competition on other stages.

No issues with food queues, getting about, etc. 1999/2000, now that felt bad, and heading towards a potential fatal crush.

Advertisement