Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i think your definitely of 'elite' is alot more generous than most people

i do think there is something in this, if 3rd/4th choice players are getting into irish squads over consistent starters then i think there is potential that players will look elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

It also means that no one ever leaves leinster because it is literally a bad career decision to do so. Way down the depth chart in leinster and always being in a winning team is better than maybe losing games, or playing in a weaker pack or adapting to a different way of playing in a different province.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

"always being in a winning team"

🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

How many players are consistently starting for a province, not getting picked for Ireland, but would get a better deal elsewhere?

The number is very low single figures, if not zero.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Off the top of my head? Coombes? Hodnett? Haley? Kleyn? Nash?

Any one of those leaving would weaken Munster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The squad has been fairly settled this season/year. I suspect there will be more churn after the World Cup and the likes of Nash, Hodnett etc will get a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I’d put Shane Daly on that list also.

Joey Carbery (despite not being first choice right now) and Antoine Frisch are there or thereabouts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

You could include Healy too who may not have been a certain starter but is a player who would have stayed at Munster if he had a chance at playing for Ireland and one who more than contributed to our success at getting silverware this year.

Agreed; that's, what, upwards of 40% of the starting team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

A better deal in terms of money? Coombes could absolutely earn more money in France than he currently does in Ireland. Hodnett probably could as well, if he has another season next year like he did this year he absolutely could.

Where exactly are you expecting these 7 or 8 players to be getting better deals?

None of them are JIFF, English rugby is a mess and Japan seems to put a pretty hefty premium on internationals.

could argue john ryan deserved more of a chance with ireland too, rather than shoehorning porter into tighthead

donnacha ryan and zebo got a bit of a poor deal with the previous management too and went elsewhere

and i didnt say a better deal, i said they might look elsewhere

I have no idea, but while I think the IRFU extract a discount with the home selection policy, I think with the tax rebate included Irish players are not exactly skint. I think more options would have been out there before the English collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

What are the current rules in France on signing non French-eligible players?

Are there ProD2 clubs that can splash out on signings or is it just Top14 sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

At the end of the day theres about 20 players on the Island of Ireland who are underpaid and accepting being underpaid because they hope to break into the international squad and get international appearance money.

Some are slightly underpaid and some are significantly underpaid (imo but i can only guess).

Remember international money for Irish internationals is about 8K a game and 8K a win with bonuses for achievements (like a grand slam). Sometimes it doesn't pay off for Ireland (and the related provinces).

Being a fringe international in and out of a squad but getting 2-3 caps is enough that none of those 7 or 8 players would get a better deal elsewhere.

I think people massively overestimate the wage gap between France and Ireland tbh

A guy who's starting consistently for a province but not international level is going to be on decent money here but wouldn't get megabucks in France.

Put it another way, how many such players have ever actually done that?

How many of them were competing with 3rd/4th choice Leinster players for a place in the Ireland squad tho. That's a new development, and the worry is it could lead to more of them considering leaving.

No.

John Ryan did not leave because he was fed up. He was let go by Munster because they didn't think he was as good as Archer. Nothing to do with IRFU.

Donnacha Ryan decided to leave despite being a regular starter for Ireland at the time. He just wanted a change, by all accounts.

That leaves Zebo.

• Advertisement

John Ryan did not leave because he was fed up. He was let go by Munster because they didn't think he was as good as Archer. Nothing to do with IRFU.

There was a bit more to it than that too tho, in that reportedly Ryan wanted 2 years but Archer was comfortable with 1.

I have to ask.

Who are the 4th choice Leinster players in the Ireland squad?

Like you, I have no idea what players are on but the carrot of staying at home seems to be getting to be less of a carrot for some players. Zebo, Ryan, Sexton have shown you can go abroad and survive. The lure of staying at home while not making international squads isn't as good as some might want you to believe, Healy being an example here. Kleyn is another example of a guy who's not happy to be just a provincial player though obviously not a home IQ player.

Should the IRFU be concerned about the possible loss of players once they see they're not making a 42man Irish squad? What's the draw of staying at home on a contract that was historically known as a reduced contract because Ireland had better player welfare and you get to play for your country.

What happens to the provinces of we start to lose players of the caliber of Kleyn & Healy.

Maybe not 4th choice then. But I think it's fair to say more players further down the depth chart than possibly ever previously are getting a look in?

(You could probably reasonably make arguments about Frawley being 4th choice 10, and Osborne 4th choice centre fwiw)

nothing to do with the IRFU? thats not how irish rugby works

2017 was the first time D Ryan was a somewhat consistent starter for ireland under JS, at which point id imagine his move was already at least on the cards, if not done already-which in fairness is strange given that such players are usually jettisoned quickly

zebo got more gametime for ireland (which he deserved) but i always got the impression JS would drop him given half an opportunity

do i think it will become an epidemic of players leaving? no. but it could potentially mean losing a couple of decent to high level players

frawley is somewhere around 3/4th choice at 10, 4/5th at centre and 4th/5th at 15, to name one

hes not involved at the moment, but harry byrne was generally 3rd choice at leinster while he was involved (or 4th if CF was the 3rd choice)

A few posters on MFs saying that this fixture is not settled as being in Limerick and that PuC could still be an option, I think PuC could be another sell out for a game like this.

I know the last game there was seen as a vanity fixture by some here but it turned out to be a kick start for Munster and gave the squad an injection they needed. It was also huge in the development of fringe players who would have trained all week with the team.

The one concern I'd have is it's very difficult to reproduce that kind of an occasion again.

If we do go back to PuC I hope they do something about the "big screen" a decent pub would have a larger screen 😁

players further down the depth chart than possibly ever previously are getting a look in

Isn't that a good thing?

Should we have gone back to Burns or Carty when we needed an out half back in November? They're regular provincial starters, Crowley was third choice for Munster. Of course not.

If Farrell or POC or Catt or whoever can see something in a player, regardless of where he stands at his own province, why on earth would they ignore that just to keep some other bloke happy?

Frawley is at worst third choice in the centre, and if he's third choice then Osborne must be second choice (or vice versa).

Edit: and even if Frawley is 4th choice 10, who's he keeping out? Carbery? I think he has bigger things to worry about.

Not necessarily; particularly if guys further up the depth chart at other Provinces, who have more exposure and gametime in higher-level European games think they can't get a look-in despite playing brilliantly, and look elsewhere.

(I also don't think there's anywhere near enough evidence to suggest Crowley was definiively 3rd choice under this new coaching ticket).

And I'm happy to admit, it's not on Farrell or POC to Catt to solve this. But that doesn't mean it's not a potential issue for the IRFU and the other Provinces down the road.

As for Frawley, I was talking about 10; was he not pretty clearly 4th choice 10 at Leinster this season gone?

its not necessarily a bad thing, but as other posters have pointed out, exposure to high level games counts for something. yes, crowley came in v aus and did well, if it were a rwc game at that time then yes i definitely would have said bring in carty

why would osbourne have to be second choice when ngatai was ahead of both of them?

could even argue he was 5th behind prendergast?

• Advertisement

When the November squad was announced, Crowley had started exactly zero games at 10 for the new Munster coach and a grand total of five in his entire Munster career. He is EXACTLY the sort of selection you're arguing shouldn't have happened and he's probably the best (or worst) example of it.

But as it turns out, it was a very good call by Farrell, no? Should we give a damn if Billy Burns lost heart watching the Australia game? Of course not.

And if Frawley is 4th choice 10, part 2 of your objection requires another player at another province to be hard done by, but there isn't one.

Advertisement