Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

There's no morality in media and showbiz.

Controversy means views and cash. The redemption or villian arc, it doesn't matter.

I'm sure Noel Kelly is already contacting reality TV shows. - I'm a Celebrity, Where's my **** Sneactha.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Aside from being devious greedy self serving scamps.

could there be anything of a criminal nature with which any party must answer ? Anything fraudulent ? If it was a private company probably not but ….

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ryan Tubridy was collecting 550k/year for a one hour Radio program and a Two hour TV gig on Friday night. Who is going to pay him the colour of that.

Pat Kenny moved from RTE Radio to Newstalk. He went from doing a two hour Radio gig to a 3 hour gig. I read an article once where he said that not only was the show longer but you did not have the researcher backup that RTE had.

Tubridy I say is very dependent on his research back up staff. He will be lucky to pickup 1/3 of the money he is recieving from RTE on any radio station in Ireland and he will have to work a minimum of a two hour show.

Look at RTE radio one from 7am-7p it has 9-10 presenters where Newstalk has about 6 with I say about 40-50% of the research backup. Tubridy would not survive in that set up

Slava Ukrainii

"Besides NK Management -- which focuses on the celebrity portfolio -- Kelly runs Creative Management Solutions, a brand consultancy firm that has worked with such disparate names as Vodafone and Pfizer."

I wonder does Mr Kelly have any other firms in the UK that come up with "solutions"?

Also, came across this:

Agency representing Ryan Tubridy and Dermot Bannon sees profits double

GORDON DEEGAN

Post-tax profits at the management agency representing a host of stars from Irish TV and radio more than doubled last year.

NK Management represents broadcasters Pat Kenny, Ryan Tubridy, Dermot Bannon, Claire Byrne and Joe Duffy.

The business is led by chief executive Noel Kelly.

New accounts for Mr Kelly's Cleary Consultancy Ltd show the firm recorded post-tax profits of €404,085 in the 12 months to the end of March last year.

This was more than double the post-tax profits of €191,339 in the prior year.

The 60-year-old Mr Kelly shuns the limelight but is one of the best-known names in the Irish broadcasting industry, and is often tasked by his clients to negotiate new contracts on their behalf with RTÉ.

In a rare press interview a number of years ago, Mr Kelly said: "I'm not interested in the limelight. I like the fact that I can get on the Luas and nobody knows who I am or what I do."

Mr Kelly has also served as a long-time director on the board of Adi Roche’s Chernobyl Children’s Project International charity.

The NK Management website says the talent management agency has 25 years experience "at the forefront of connecting talent and brands with global audiences".

The firm’s client list reads like a who’s who of Irish celebrities, including Dave Fanning, Matt Cooper, Ivan Yates, Baz Ashmawy, Niall Quinn, Kian Egan and Dermot Whelan.

Others include Doireann Garrihy, Kathryn Thomas, Catriona Perry and Sonia O’Sullivan. Mr Kelly also represented the late Gerry Ryan and today represents the broadcaster’s daughter and 2FM presenter, Lottie Ryan.

The firm had no comment to make on the accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not really. We as in the public can toast Tubridy. The deeper issues need PAC or similar to dig into and compel RTE to open up, they have enough ammo to justify it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ahwell

She's going to be on the next series of Ireland’s Fittest Family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

TV licence collection is based on a large amount of households obediently paying up.

The system will collapse if there's a large scale payment revolt.

Evasion's is at roughly 15% now, a large increase in that figure would put real pressure on RTE's funding.

Even if people just waited for a few threating letters before paying up.

An Post's overheads would increase as well, so less money would be available for RTE.

They'd have to take more people to court, that's expensive, time consuming and puts more pressure on already stretched courts and prisons.

We could also see a rise in "no TV households".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Revenue have already said they don't want to get involved with any potential universal household media charge.

And the far-left are chomping at the bit to oppose it.

Which would be deeply unpopular given current events.

I can't see the current government risking it, especially with an election on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There's the obvious solution I suppose,just add it to the LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Very dangerous territory. That would make it a tax rather than a licence fee. It would also open RTE (or what will be left of it) up to more scrutiny and governmental oversight. It would also be deeply unpopular for politicians and would lead to their snouts being removed from the public trough.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 86,092 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Clare must have "studied" Holly's are you ok This Morning statement

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭amovingstatue

Oh dear God almighty.

Oh sweet Jesus, nooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The 60's,when women were ditzy and men were masterful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭robwen

He'll go back to Saturday morning TV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

RT would not have handled this well.

You have to wonder how he got the LLS gig when he is less than bang average.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Nobody else will touch him with a barge pole. Who would he replace on Newstalk or Today FM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I really hope this is the straw that breaks the camel's back in terms of where Joe and Mary Public's tax goes.

We are too blasé in Ireland and don't hold people to account. I never listen to RT radio show but made a point to listen to Oliver Callan this morning. I switched off after 2 minutes due to the anger at listening to him trying to make banter out of the situation.

I don't find anything funny about a 75k dodgy, under the counter bonus top up for ONE man on tax payer funds when many FAMILIES in this country survive on less than 75k per year.

Shame on RTE, shame on Noel Kelly, shame on Ryan Tubridy, Dee Forbes etc.

Do something magnanimous, Ryan, and return the money or better still donate it to front line workers who work 12 hour shifts on a wage that doesn't even come close to your bonus.

You clearly won't miss it if you didn't even realise you were getting this bonus.

Post edited by Purple Mountain on

To thine own self be true

• The licence fee is used to fund their public broadcasting commitments.

I do not believe TLLS or sponsorship deals to form part of that. You’re welcome to show me otherwise if you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

Ah, they don’t make ‘em like that anymore! Those were the days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Seems that Tubridy has lost the IT. Fintan O'Toole demolishes Tubridy.

"All he had to do was comment on one of the dozens of false news stories and correct the record. He chose not to do it – at a catastrophic cost to RTÉ's reputation.

He should not, therefore, return to the air. You can’t betray your colleagues, your listeners and viewers, and the people who own and pay for the station you work for, and just go back to being our genial host."

Will the PAC and the government agree with him?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

this is quite the turnaround from your previous position of defending Mr. Tubridy. May I ask what has caused such a dramatic shift in your position?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I see Fionnán Sheahan is having a go at Paddy Kielty in the Indo

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I had a quick listen to Ryan Tubridy's last (possibly ever ...) radio show broadcast on RTE Radio Player .... did not listen to all of it but heard all I needed to hear ... the merits of the wibbly wobbly wonder and other such drivel ... droning on about what is the best icecream and getting obscene money ...

We live in a cesspit of corruption ... ex Eastern Bloc nutcase politicians like Putin and Ali Khamenei worldwide hang on to their crumbling countries and fiddle away their countries' finances while their empires fall ... that other nutcase Trump would do the very same to America ... nutcases they are but they know enough to siphon whatever funds a country has to their own bank accounts .... do they care about the fate of their countries that they are destroying? No ... they are only in it for the money and oppress and keep their people down so as to remain the all powerful 'leaders' who have actually no ability ...

RTE has become the Irish equivalent of that ... Tubridy aka Tubbers and co may not be dividing the nation and/or oppressing the people like affore mentioned Russian sphere of influence nutters and USA former nutjob president Trump ... but Tubridy is robbing from us ... like who earns that type of money he is on ?? No one .... especially if all he can give us is talk of the wibbly wobbly wonder ...

The wibbly wobbly wonder ?? ... where does Tubbers even pull his topics from ?? ... any listen to his radio show will tell you the intellect of this man .... he cannot talk about anything with a bit of substance it would seem ... and RTE are paying him obscene money for this ... even worse he wanted and got more than what he was on already thanks to his pal Dee Forbes .... RTE is crumbling away while this regime at the top of it fiddle away the finances by handing it out to useless idiots such as Tubbers ... and because of this all that reality drivel is forced at us and promoted .... all there because it is dirt cheap to make because RTE have not much money left after paying Tubbers and co ... Tubbers then promotes this drivel on his show as if it is the greatest thing ever made .... Maura Higgins, Alison Spittle, etc. ....

And then he prances around the toy show set dressed up in silly costumes grinning like a hyena ....

All very funny to look at and listen to .... until you realise it is you who is paying for this farce ...

Tubridy claims to be sympathetic to the poor and misfortunate of his country (not unlike Fact Check: Are Ali Khamenei's Living Standards 'Below Average'? (iranwire.com) how some of the world's most corrupt leaders act) .... our pal Tubridy probably earns more though .... Tubridy claims to be Ireland's equivalent of Santa .... a well honed persona developed for the Toy Show ... with many children in awe of him every Christmas ...

To the Late Late Show Tubridy has brought silliness, airheadedness and smut to the proceedings ... every old reality TV would be star is catapulted to fame and fortune while talented people are ignored ... relatives of other RTE bigshots including his own relations gain fame and fortune as singers, comedians and TV hosts not because of their talent but because of their nepotism ....

Yes ... it is not an exaggeration to say Ireland's entertainment industry .... dominated by individuals like Tubridy .... is run in a similar way to a Putin, Khamenei or Trump style government .... the same endemic self serving hypocritical corruption is there ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭gifted

Ciaran Mullooly had a hop off him the other day while he was on the Claire Byrne show....said he was making light of the current situation....

Be interesting to see his payment???

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement