Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There's going to be a Part 2?

I didn't see you post when I made mine but I did say that I think he was sent out on TV to say something and wouldn't play ball 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Richard Hillman

The only thing that makes sense to me is that my opinion of Saturday. Putin is not running the country anymore.

Intriguing. Who would you say is running the country, then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Girkin with his usual blast of candour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Could be the generals got together and decided to hang together instead of hanging one by one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This has now been deleted. The tweet was an announcement (edit: see below screenshot) that he had Scott Ritter on his podcast to discuss what happened over the weekend in Russia. The fact that he deleted this tweet means that the first he must have heard of Scott Ritter's "history" were the hundreds of replies telling him about it(many showing Ritter's charge sheet and mugshot). I know his campaign is a massive joke but bloody hell!

Edit Edit: Looks like the podcast is still up:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭combat14

the generals might decide they are safer without prigozhin or putin if uncertainty continues much longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The more I think about this I am of the view someone saved Putin at the weekend and now has him in his pocket. This person or perhaps there is more than one person probably switched sides and betrayed Prigozhin. Or perhaps what is more likely is that they never switched sides but convinced Prigozhin that they had. I just don't think Prigozhin would have revolted otherwise. It would also help explain why he called it off despite it making him look weak in the eyes of his fighters, but self preservation is a good motivating factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

@jmreire what are you doing hanging out over there with the right wing nationalists and the fascists? I didn't think you were that way aligned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Maybe prig and luka have taken charge with putin as a basic spokesperson. Putin is one of the wealthiest people in the world and was worried he would be murdered, maybe he handed over control to keep his life and wealth. Prig looked very happy in that jeep leaving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Just being in Belgrade doesn't make you a fascist fellow traveller! It's actually a pretty interesting place.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Russia is such an enigma, I can't make any sense of what's going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

As a matter of interest which station was this on? I've had opportunity to watch a reasonable amount of Serbian TV (PCT, not the commercial channels) i've never seen a snigger on the equivalent of the ' o clock news').

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,211 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It must be the most dysfunctional country and society in Europe by some considerable distance. Even Belarus is relatively normal in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,350 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In the alternate universe that wingnut lives in sure thats what happened.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You wonder?

Or you’re trying to take us for eejits and think we might fall for your “questions” whether Putin was acting in good faith.

Spare us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

I see two ways this can go

1. Putin fires Shoygu and Gerasimov. It means that the faction behind Prigozhin has won and they will force Putin out, probably through a successor that Putin will transfer the power to.

2. Putin tries to disarm the Wagner group. They will resist and this time they will not stop until they reach Moscow. Regardless of whether Prigozhin is alive/free or not. The military head of the group is a nutcase called Dmitry Utkin, aka Wagner. He can lead the rebellion with or without Prigo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

No, far from it. But Vucic controls the media, so he gets to control what goes out in the news, and he's pro Putin, big time. But recently there has been massive anti-Vucic protests in Belgrade calling for his resignation, and new elections because Serbian's can see the way things are going with Vucic, corruption and mafia rule ( they've seen them before!!!) and now they are calling for Rule of law, not rule of one man. In recent anti Vucic protests, Vucic had to bring bus loads of his supporters from the provinces to counter the opposition protest, even so, the opposition showed in far greater Nrs. No, just because they are definitely not fans of NATO ( they have their own reasons for that) does not automatically mean that they're the big fans of Putin that we are led to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Think if the mafia ran a country. 7 or 8 "bosses" are part of the inner circle, Putin is their decision-maker.

They run everything and take a cut of everything, from business to oil to the media. On the plus side for them, everything is corrupt, on the negative side, everything is corrupt. Step out of line? Get thrown out of a window.

They pissed off one of the bosses, the one with a private army of 25,000. He decided to shake them up. The snakes ran and had to cut a deal with him. They'll probably "take care" of him later, but for now they need to shore up and make sure something like that never happens again.

"...led to believe".

Do you mean we're being misinformed? By who and for what purpose?

Josip, I've spent many years working in war torn country's, more than I care to remember, all over the world. And what I think about them is they have all without exception two things in common. One, corruption has been the root cause of each and everyone of them. Two, don't make the mistake of tarnishing each and ever one of the people who live in these Country's as being the same as the monsters who commit atrocities. Because they're not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This is just a pause or eye of the storm so to speak isn't it?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

After the news, there was a program discussing the days events. And plenty of laughing and sniggering on that. No, their news readers are professional, but were definitely smiling, whether that was normal or due to the content, I don't know. Have to watch it again tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Caquas

I don’t think the Americans had great detail about the Russian invasion. The Spetnaz got to the Presidential Palace in Kyiv and almost got to Zelensky The Russians took Hostomel Airport and the Battle of Kyiv would have been very different if the Ukrainians hadn’t managed to retake it in a fierce gun fight.

I see media reports just now that John Kirby of the White House said the US had advance knowledge of Prigozhin’s mutiny. That’s the opposite of what he actually said I.e. the West were not involved and will stay out of it (contrary to Biden’s call last year to “depose Putin”)

Putin’s statement tonight confirms my original take: there is no deal. Putin thanked the Russian people for their support but we all saw the opposite. At best, the people were indifferent. Putin’s cronies stayed loyal - not surprising because Prigozhin was gunning for them. But Putin has to punish the mutineers or his speech this evening will be like Louis XVI condemning the storming of the Bastille.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,350 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The West may not have to have been involved to have picked up advance notice of it though.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Best and simplest explanation of Russia I’ve heard to this day.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭farmerval

Whatever happened on Saturday; whatever deal was struck, Putin is in a weakened state at best. For the first time in this conflict the failed reasons for the invasion and so the cause of the war was laid squarely with Putin.

A genuine rival for control of Russia appeared, someone who was cheered by Russian people, his army happily accepted to replace the Russians in Rostov, nothing like this has happened on Putin's watch before. Putin was made to look weak and ineffective inside Russia, roadblocks in Moscow?? This is completely new territory.

The only person that has a positive tale to tell in the Ukraine conflict, one that has laid the trail for withdrawal from Ukraine by his statements that the reasons for the conflict were wrong, were lies, and is sitting waiting in the wings, smiling.

Apparently when the uprising was ongoing, there was very few denouncing Prig's actions, that really says people in power didn't know how this was going to shake out, they were waiting to see before committing.

Putin has always stayed above squabbles between his underlings, leaves them fight among themselves all the while stabbing each other to get the big bosses attention, now he has been directly challenged. Things are definitely changing.

But they didn’t take the presidential palace or the airport or Kyiv.

Why is that?

America said days before the war Russia would invade. Without that intelligence Kyiv would have fallen.

It wasn’t a firefight that stopped Russia taking Kyiv, it was precision artillery fire on a dumb idea of having a 40km army on one road.

A handful of Ukrainian soldiers stopped Kyiv from being taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Caquas

Read the thread. I said the Americans knew before any other Western power that the Russians would invade,

I was answering Nacho Libra’s suggestion the Americans have a source close to the top of the Russian MoD. If they did, they would have tipped off the Ukrainians and the Russians would never have got to the Presidential Palace or taken Hostomel Airport. (The lines of tanks on the road to Kyiv happened because the Russians lost the airport.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

You're obsessed with bringing the left in to everything to fit your agenda.

Historically Serbia and Russia have close ties. The Serbs largely hate nato because of the Yugoslavia war. Russia refuses to recognise Kosovos independence and regularly reiterates it won’t get full international recognition . Last year BCSP poll revealed that 51 percent of Serbs believed Russia to be Serbia’s most important international partner, while 66 percent called Russia the country’s “greatest friend.” To try to pin Serbia’s views on Russia as a right or left issue is just ignorant.

If we were to take a quick look at prominent entities of the right in Europe and its views towards Russia we would see that the Russians biggest ally in the EU is right wing Hungary. Constantly delaying action against russia, holding up fellow EU members nato applications. Trying to water down sanctions on russia etc. Marine le pen election campaign of last year had leaflets with her and Putin which were quickly dumped when he invaded. She got her money from Russian banks and has always championed him. Nigel farage claimed Putin was the world leader he most admired after Putin stole Crimea and claimed the EU had blood on its hands for encouraging turmoil in Ukraine. Berlusconi blamed Zelensky for the war.

Are there any left wing governments in the EU that support Russia in the same fashion as Hungary? Are there any left politicians in Europe that come close to having the same power and reach as Marine Le pen, Nigel Farage and Berlusconi when it comes to backing Putin? Clare Daly is small fry compared to them. Good luck answering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There were lots of stories of 20 to 25 thousand wagnerites involved , could that be grossly exaggerated? , Definitely a small number on the charge to moscow ,

And honestly the push on Moscow seems an afterthought ,

Its all very odd - in one push Wagner had their boot on the neck of the Russian Army , by controlling the main RU supply lines into Ukraine ,

Then they pushed to moscow , and seemed to give up ( obviously didnt get the support they needed/ expected )

And then just gave it all up -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Any good YouTube channels who regularly update on all this? Currently find it fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Mike3549

I read somewhere on Twitter that there closer to 10k than 25k as claimed by prigo. Some say he didn't get required support for a coup, some say his family was threatened.

What was the talk about rus-belarus union in pre-putin days? Luka as president? Can this be all lukas idea to get wagner on his side in the end and stop being putins puppet? I know its silly, but all this press cancelation at the last minute and he did kinda become a hero of russia in the end. Aaand.... He has nukes now!

And if his family was threatened, what message will that send to Russian commanders and soldiers on the frontline?

I think the notions of downing arms and refusing to fight for Putin took a hit after Progozin bottled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,211 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Many international analysts think this is the beginning of the end for Putin. His prestige and power took a hammering on Saturday - he already looks a much weaker figure and far from secure in his role. It is noted that there was no show of support for Putin in Russia or outrage that someone might launch a coup against him. People were looking on passively and not even that pushed that he might be deposed.

osip

Josip, I made a comment about the spin Putins factory of lies were trying to put on it. You're taking a different slant on it, but OK, even some of the replies to my post have a very negative opinion of the Serbs, and in the world ( European) press , its the same trend. Now see if you can find some articles showing them in a good light, OK?

• Advertisement

Apologies, I thought you were implying that Western media were making Serbs out to be Putin supporters, like this BBC report for example.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-60630351

As regards articles that show Serbs in a positive light, I've looked around and found these, do they count 🙂 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WetOYfJ1fGM&t=15s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03OPcn80Uzs

https://www.nsa.gov/portals/75/documents/news-features/declassified-documents/cryptologic-spectrum/is_yugoslav.pdf

Getting back on topic, the amount of mines and booby traps that the Ukrainians are having to deal with seems horrendous. I stumbled across a graphic mine video I wish I hadn't seen, but the courage it must take to work through a mined/booby trapped area is unreal.

Post edited by josip on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Clever. If they pull the first one but notice it, they'll probably leap ahead and take cover... and not notice the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I have a whacky theory about the weekends drama.

I consider you a very knowledged poster.

Do you think this could happen

The folling is my whacky theory:

Prigozhin may topple Lukashenko to get back to budding up to Putin, seen as Lukashenko was not so keen as to having Putins nukes in his country.

Maybe this was the contex of whole drama by Prigozhin and Putin that they schemed up together.

Operation Mincemeat.....Russian style

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Even Anthony Blinken on the Sunday talk shows was reduced to the sort of speculation you can read here. 

To be fair, even if he had intelligence he probably wouldn't release it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

A decorated Russian pillar of society, this is the reason no one can ever civilise this bastard state.

A true Russian nazi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Prigozhin's Farce Is Over And It Is Clear Who Has Won

Prigozhin had launched his hopeless mutiny after the Defense Ministry had demanded that all his men sign contacts with the Russian army. That would have taken away the autonomy of his Wagner outlet and with it a large chunk of his profits. The run of his troops towards Moscow was a desperate attempt to get Putin's attention and to make him reverse the ministry's plans.

To justify his move Prigozhin had claimed that Russian military forces had attacked a Wagner camp and killed a number of its troops. To prove that he published a video that shows some trash in the woods but no dead soldiers. It was an obvious fake.

Putin had already publicly agreed to the ministry's plans and he is not the man who reverses his decisions on a dime, or under pressure. After Putin's Saturday morning TV speech, during which he accused Prigozhin of treason without naming him, it was clear that there was no chance for the mutiny to have any success. Many of Russia's governors and high ranking military soon assured Putin publicly of their loyalty. source

Mercenaries are all about the money and Wagner bosses were being cut out of the action.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭rogber

Everyone seems to be getting their crystal ball out but if the last year and a half have shown one thing repeatedly, it's that really no one has a clue what will happen and what all this really means. All that seems certain is more drama is assured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,883 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Scutter as usual, but hey, it's you and another right-wing disinformation site.

Hilarious site. Claims to be fair, yet no postings about Trump in months (at least, with Trump in the title and using their search bar.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

(The lines of tanks on the road to Kyiv happened because the Russians lost the airport.)

I don't really follow this logic. What difference would an isolated airport surrounded by portable anti-air really have made? I can't see how it would have been such a gamechanger as to somehow unlock the ability of the convoys to actually progress towards Kyiv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

Anything can happen ABSOLUTLY. The following just crossed my mind. Prigozhin probably knows the Kremlin - and it’s KITCHENS - INSIDE OUT. He was involved in the food supply of things in the Kremlin so I wonder can he concoct something - not tea as it would be too obvious - that Putin likes and get it delivered for consumption. I am sure that one of the ‘orderlies’ in the kitchen/supply line can be ‘bought off’

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement