Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

In 2007 two pals got in by bribing security (who obviously have lots of extra wristbands) with £50 each. It was pre-arranged via a contact and about eight on their group entered in this way. I wasn’t aware it was an option until they told me and tried to persuade me to travel from London on the Thursday where they’d arrange it for me also. I declined. And I’ve no idea if it continues to happen.

You’d have to assume that security are heavily scrutinised also but if they limit such a scam to a few people they trust and the associates of said people they it could be hard to spot. Definitely not widespread but could several hundred or 1k/2k be getting in this way? Possibly, but as before I’ve no idea in 2023.

Glasto have their weekends from Wed to Sun. It’s a different world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Lots of veterans have said last year felt crowded. I think there's been a gradual increase in tickets and staff and volunteers.

I think congestion and crowding doesn't work linearly ie a 10% increase doesn't mean it will be 10% more crowded, but could be 30% more crowded. Same as traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Anyone who was there is probably still deep in recovery mode at this stage. But would love to read a full review on the whole experience of travelling over from Ireland with costs etc. How did you get there, what day did you leave/arrive, how did you lug all the gear etc. As well as all of the highlights of the weekend at the festival itself. Looked amazing on the telly and truly jealous of anyone who got to experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Explain this year's festival then. It included Wednesday the 21st which was the solstice.

If Glasto have their weekends from Wed to Sun and the festival is held the weekend after solstice should the dates not have been 28 June to 1st July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭crl84

Well then, if that's now your theory, then there should not have been any debate about which weekend it was. It would never have been 21st-23rd, as you proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its fact. I'd love to know how many get in each year but its significant. Loads of dodgy security guards about. Going rate is 450-500 quid. This year they were being brought in in groups of 10 or so.

Last year we flew on the Thursday from Dublin to Bristol (Shannon and Knock also options) and paid €260 including tent/luggage as booked late. Flights available for circa €120-€140 if you book soon after securing a ticket. Possibly even cheaper. And the regional airports have better deals as the prices from the capital are hiked up that week.

We got the coach directly from the airport for £58/€67. It took circa 90 mins each way, even with traffic and delays. It’s all a matter of timing with the flights but we arrived at Bristol Airport circa 8.20 and had the coach (3/4 min walk) at 9am. It spared the hassle of going into Bristol city and then clambering onto the available coaches there which I imagine isn’t much fun. You’re dropped about 200 metres from the front gate and getting out is pretty painless also.

Thus you can do Irish airport to site for circa €220 though make allowances for €300-€350 depending on booking time. Don’t hesitate with booking the coaches either as the best times disappear quickly. No need to pay for a stay in Bristol if timed well and leaving my pal’s flat in Dublin to setting up tent took circa 7 hours which I thought was good going. Be aware also that we travelled on the Thursday morning which is far less chaotic than on Wednesday. Best of luck if trying for tickets in Oct.

Last year was crowded for Paul McCartney and Wet Leg but not for anything else I attended or observed over the weekend. Space at Billie Eilish as I passed on the hill heading to the Mary Chain at the JPT. Plenty of room at Kendrick Lamar and all I attended at the Park, JPT, Acoustic, WH, WG, Glade and elsewhere. The SE corner gets very busy from pretty early and especially so after midnight.

The figures for attendees haven’t greatly increased over the past two decades, from 135k public tickets in 2002 to 142k today. Performer, security and staff are 63k. If there are any recent changes to those figures I’m happy to be corrected. The site is also greatly expanded. The issue is I guess that some areas get busy whilst others are underpopulated and the reports of overcrowding are anecdotal rather than factual.

1999 was worrying, an estimate of close to 300k on site (2000 the same but I wasn’t there) and worrying bottlenecks by the small bridge that used to be between the Pyramid and Other stage. Could easily have gone badly wrong, close to a bad crush when an enormous crowd was moving between Gomez and REM on the Sat night. The site is now pretty secure, the layout and security so much better than 23/24 years ago.

As before, in 1971 they timed it to follow the solstice. Another poster suggested this may have changed in the 1990s but the local press and the V&A Museum who researched it for a Glasto exhibition are sticking with the Solstice timing. Seemingly the organisers are just a bit flexible with it.

• Advertisement

I guess the organisers are more flexible with dates than for their first few decades. You can blame Emily Eavis for any changes, or confusion. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I saw them in Slane in 03 and they absolutely stole the show supporting the Foo Fighters and Chillies. I'd love to see them again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Anyone ever see the footage of the fella hang-gliding into Glastonbury.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Slight tangent, but I was at the Smashing pumpkins gig in the Point where someone died during a crush caused allegedly by overcrowding allegedly by people from the seated areas above allegedly flooding the ground floor standing area.

My arse. I was at the back of the standing area and you could have played a full 11 a side football game there. The issue on that day was that a LOT of concert newcomers (I was in college and felt like a pensioner compared to a lot of the crowd) believed that everyone should be at the front and loads were trying to be as near the front as possible.

I wouldnt be surprised if the "overcrowding" at Glasto wasnt a million miles off what happened there. If you have a lot in the crowd happy to watch from a distance then you get everyone spread out nicely. If you have a festival packed with pop heads who have to see the main acts, who have barely been to a concert in their lives and are used to the lovely lines of sight you get on telly, well, it'll be very tight at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The over crowding issues are site wide. Like every food stall with a massive queue. The actual gigs themselves are always fine. Before and after maybe not so much but there isnt any danger at the gigs themselves of a crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭TenPicnics

That's not the crowding that gets worrying at Glastonbury from my experience. The scary time at Glastonbury is when going from one stage to another at the same time as thousands doing the same thing or coming the other direction, many of them running or shoving, and pinch points happen at junctions with the main tracks between the stages and towards the south-east corner. Once you've experienced it you learn to avoid that, and all is good.

I'll leave it at this as I'm sure people are getting annoyed coming in expecting to see reviews and just getting a back and forth between us.

1971 doesn't support your stance that Glastonbury is timed to be the weekend after the solstice. Your Sky History link notes "By 1971, the festival was renamed The Glastonbury Fayre and the date was moved to coincide with the summer solstice." From what I can see it ran from Sunday 20th to Thursday 24th June. This is neither a weekend nor after the solstice.

I think the first year that the festival happened after the solstice was on its 7th occurrence in 1984. This event was not repeated until the 12th occurrence in 1990. They took a break in 1991 after the riots the previous year to decide on the future of the festival. I suspect that during this time the decision was reached to hold the festival to include the last Sunday/full weekend in June as that has been the case since.

About the only way I can fit the solstice into a description of when Glastonbury is held is as follows.

The weekend after the summer solstice where June 21st is used as a proxy for the actual solstice date and weekend is defined as including Friday in addition to Saturday and Sunday.

I had someone at Body & Soul describe this to as "Sometimes the crowd decides it wants to go one way and you just have to go along with that"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It depends on where you are suppose. The crowds are always localised to certain areas. I spend a lot of time in the south east corner and I remember how bad the overcrowding was there in 2016 and 2017 and these days it is vastly improved, they increased the size (Block9 has basically doubled in size) and massively improved the late night offerings in Silver Hayes and The Park and it has worked. Even getting into the temple and NYC Downlow is relatively easy now and it used to be impossible. At lunch and dinner times there have always been queues for food places, but if you're prepared to eat at slightly irregular times you can avoid queueing. Or even if places are busy you can keep walking and eventually you'll find places with smaller lines or none at all.

The pyramid field is really the worse place for potentially dangerous crowds imo. It's a shame they can't cut a whole in some trees to make another exit / entry but I don't know if that would help. Me and my group high tailed it out of there half way through Elton's last song because we knew what was coming, didn't want to be stuck there for an hour and were badly in need of a piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Shank Williams

Keep the solistice posts coming guys, fascinating stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I just found the footage of Elton doing Rocketman on youtube. The drone shots are amazing! I had spotted the drone hovering over the pyramid before he came on and I thought it must the festival / BBC because drones are banned for regular punters. I hope they do that next year as well, really gives you a sense of the size of the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

I think it's more things like queueing for food, toilets, showers etc has increased a lot. Also the SE corner has crowd problems. Particularly last year but this year seems bad also.

I went a few times when I was younger so read forums now after the festival to see what's new. I actually only enjoyed it I think the first time, it seems like something you endure rather than enjoy.

It might be a change in demographic rather than numbers. I think before people were quite happy to explore the site and not too bothered about the acts and headliners.

I'm not sure but consistently veterans have complained of overcrowding. Maybe it's just perception due to age.

Also it seems to be full of scousers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's also only the last handful of years that they have given up on the claim that things start on the Friday and now give the dates as being Wednesday to Sunday instead of Friday to Sunday.

Re long queues for food, easy to avoid if you know your way around. Most food stalls are replicated in each market area, but get away from Williams Green and the bit between Pyramid/ Other and the queues are significantly shorter. The bit from Acoustic to Circus is always shorter queues, or on the far path between Pyramid/ Other just keeping to the stalls on the outside of the bend and they will be a bit shorter than those along the racing line. Just go where other people aren't.

Apologies for the length.

I’d urge you to give it another try as I don’t think it’s the festival you remember and is actually much better than you believe. I’m one of those veterans you refer to and for me it’s a festival that’s successfully evolved, particularly from the mess it got into in the late 90s.

Of course come edginess is gone but it’s comprehensively safer and crowd crushes are no longer likely. There could have been deaths at the Manics on the main stage in ‘99. The band had to stop three times. New barriers and a golden circle were put in after that. Narrow bridges were knocked to prevent bottlenecks and anti-flooding measures were taken in the late 2000s which thus far seem to be working. It’s a better and far more creative festival than it ever was and there are astonishing things around every last corner of the site.

The SE Corner gets very busy on the Thursday night particularly when everyone seems to head there but it’s not as bad as ten years ago when they had to put up barriers to hold people out, often for 2-3 hours. Moving Arcadia has lured many away as has more stuff on at the Glade, Silver Hayes and Park. They’ve also greatly expanded the SE area and it’s still busy but you can easily get around in a way you couldn’t in 2013/14.

I agree that it can be an endurance test if the weather turns bad and it’s always tiring but there’s a reason why so many of us are willing to trek large distances to both get there and get around the site. It’s simply cos it’s so bloody rewarding. Plenty of bland fare on the two main stages but it really doesn’t matter when you’ve do many other choices.

As per @robinph i also head for the shortest food queues, even if I’m often opting for blander stuff. There’s rarely a queue at the stalls opposite the entry ho the Acoustic Stage and West Holts not crazily busy either. I waited no more than 10-12 mins for any stall last year.

The demographic hasn’t greatly changed either. Lots of younger faces but they’re not the majority, not by a long way. The attendees are across all ages, plenty of them in their sixties and seventies. And there may have been a fair few Scousers and Mancs in the late 90s but far less so these days. It’s very varied and you’re as likely to come across Irish nationals as denizens of any major British city.

In short, it’s peerless and it keeps improving. If the weather is right you’ll have your best weekend of the year.

Thanks for writeup but I think it's just not for me. If I couldn't handle it when I was young, then what chance do I have now?

I didn't find it overcrowded when I went in the late 00s and early 10s, but I've read numerous veterans saying it's overcrowded now, last year particularly.

I think it didn't even sell out in 07 and 08. Now it's ridiculously popular cos of social media and being bucket listy.

I just found it exhausting. By the second day I was wiped out. You don't sleep properly and are probably walking 20k a day.

I also think the "Glasto spirit" is somewhat of a myth. I can see how it could be life-changing to a naive teenager maybe though.

I did see some great gigs though but I think I just prefer going to an arena or stadium.

I once wandered in to a smallish tent after hours and what I thought was a "The Specials" tribute act turned out to actually be The Specials and they were awesome.

Another tent had random musical instruments lying around and people would just jam.

You can have lots of special, unique moments if you wander around enough.

I'm tempted to go back but as some sort of interactive performer and not bother with anything else, just have the craic with people. Not even drink and go to bed early.

The Specials story is great. I’d have loved that.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Advertisement

Yeah I thought it was just a ska band playing covers and I asked someone "who are they? They're great" and he responded "They're The Specials", in a somewhat condescending tone.

The tent was just a smallish one like 20 or 30m and sounded awesome l.

Ive searched various forums to see if anyone else witnessed it but it seems not but it definitely happened.

It was a Sunday night after hours like 1 or 2am back in maybe 09 or 10.

Do you've any good ideas for some sort of mobile interactive thing I could do? Just have to have the craic with people.

Something like Tarot cards maybe.

Advertisement