Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What's the logic of replying to all this nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Logic is irrelevant to Rosita, I honestly think she's trolling most of the time. Nobody could be that bitter and hostile all of the time.

Post edited by Charlie69 on

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cave_dweller

Can we give the Munster vs Leinster thing a break? Jaysus, so much rubbish been spoken about it. It is a fact that Munster is a better championship with more depth. That's just how the provinces are. Likewise, it's also a fact that Galway and Kilkenny frequently have great teams that can match the best of Munster. We don't need to debate it every 2 mins...

The games at the weekend were very, very poor. Clare were not good, anyone watching that thinking they are favourites for the final are delusional. Their full back line was in a lot of bother, teams seem to have figured out how to get behind their half back line. They have a lot of injuries and some of their big players, like Duggan, seem to have gone off form a bit. If they play as well as they can they can definetly win but I'd be a bit worried for them physically. Clare don't play every game like they play against Limerick, they don't bring that level of intensity but they'll need to bring it to beat Kilkenny who are a good team and a match for anyone bar Limerick at their best.

Galway were not that impressive either. Tipp have been overrated all year, mainly because it's Tipperary (ditto Cork who lost or drew 3/4 games but were somehow unlucky) but they lack quality. To be fair they've had a lot of injuries and their squad isn't deep enough to cope with it. As a first year and with the base he came into.. Cahill has done alright. I've seen Galway a number of times this year and I'm a lot less impressed this year than last year. Even when playing well, they seem to have no plan for moving the play into their forwards. It's always just hit and hope. Tipp dropped off the puck out every time, C Mannion was sweeping and yet the ball almost always went to a defender to launch it or pass it back to Murphy to do it. It's criminal. Their inability to play with any cuteness cost them in the Leinster final and it will cost them vs Limerick. They might change it to be a bit more clever but when the pressure comes on they'll revert to type. Limerick are a team where easy possession will kill you, if Galway gift it to them like they did vs Dublin, Kilkenny and Tipp they will lose. With Hannon's injury and the general fatigue Limerick have shown there is a small chance they can come through but Limerick are so good at adapting and have quality everywhere. I don't see Galway beating them without Limerick giving them a helping hand and struggling without Hannon.

I think it's hard to judge a team based on a game they knew they were gonna win pulling up. I don't see it as a true reflection of form.

Good man…. You started by asking everyone to stop Leinster Munster comparisons and then went on to do exactly that yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cave_dweller

I didn't, I analysed the games from Saturday and gave my opinion on how I think the semi finals will go. That's what this forum is for fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Why do you keep going on about horses?

Kilkenny drew with and beat the second team in Leinster, but lost to the fourth team. Nuance and inconsistency might not suit you but others have to decide what matters and what doesn't when looking at data which will throw up contradictions.

Maybe you do think Tipperary are as good as Limerick because logic they drew with them but I don't. For some reason you seem very reluctant to actually express a view on that. But I suppose if you do your "logic" comes crashing down quickly because it's not all black and white.

Not a hope that'll happen so this very very strange question does not arise. Galway will not beat any reasonably set-up team. Galway have beaten Westmeath, Antrim, Tipperary & Wexford only. All these teams lose most of their matches against all opponents.

A lot of sense here. First time I've seen an attempt to explain the strange over-rating of Tipperary. This time last week I was berated by a few here for saying there wasn't a chance they'd beat Galway but their form in the championship has been abysmal for a long time.

Admittedly they don't have Dublin, Westmeath, Antrim, Wexford, available to pad out their record and guarantee qualification for the All Ireland series like Galway and Kilkenny do but they have been dire and would struggle even with some of those opponents. Most importantly, not only were people over-rating Tipperary, they are now over-rating Galway because they beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭cosatron

I don't think anyone is overrating galway, we know we are up against it with limerick and the game will be won and lost in the middle eight. Positives for galway against tipp were the introduction of linnane and fahy, who add energy and fight to the middle eight, better structure to the backs compared to the kk game, keep there full forward line scoreless and the better ball up to the forwards. For us to beat limerick, we will have to improve on the tipp game and bring the game to limerick and test out there full back line without finn and limit the damage Gillane will cause

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭dmakc

As I've said, Tipp's ability has nothing to do with my argument. FWIW I didn't rate them. It's that you're just plucking results to suit narratives. Your theories of relativity are mind numbing e.g:

Here's one: Kilkenny beat Westmeath who beat Wexford who beat Kilkenny. Are Kilkenny better or worse than Kilkenny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

At least in the midst of all the confused attempted cleverness we finally got your view on Tipperary. I can get a night's sleep again now.

I think what you've written is reasonable. The question of whether people are overrating Galway is tricky as it's not measurable and few will take real ownership of their views.

But Tipperary is an example a team that some people clearly overrated. They have done nothing in several years. Yet some people ignored that.

I would argue that there are serious questions about Galway's ability to win a meaningful game at this stage. There is a lazy view that the "four best teams" are left but I'm not sure about Galway. I think that is overrating them.

They struggled last year to beat a Cork team which played badly, and likewise this year were nearly caught in the end against a poor Tipperary team which was lucky to be there courtesy of a soft free in the last minute.

Galway wiped the floor with Kilkenny fir 25 minutes or so. Inevitably they found a way to lose when they suddenly remembered Kilkenny's right to be Leinster champions. But if they can reproduce that they have a chance. Problem is that they are playing a very different team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭cosatron

That's the joys of following galway. If we hurl to the best of ability for 70+mins we will beat any team but to get that out of them is the intrigue. Really looking forward to it now.

……

Post edited by Charlie69 on

Yeah, they can do great things when going well. The frustration is when they show the two sides during the same game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭jacool

There's a lot of talk of "logic" in here.

Can someone explain to me the "logic" of having a semi-final at 18:00 on a Saturday evening?

Nobody can afford a hotel room in Dublin, and I'm presuming its extra-time if they're level after 70?

4000 at the Damien Dempsey gig as well. Just wondering why this isn't at 4 o'clock.

Shure it's only Dubs listen tho that ejit anyway so 4000 of them won't be much of a problem hotel wise.

4 on a Saturday is deemed too disruptive I believe. 6 is a bit crap though and the late trains won't get you into the city until 11:30 and it'll be a long night for anyone going further than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

A Damien Dempsey gig is a gas consideration for an All-Ireland hurling semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I usually try get to both semi finals and final but i dont like the Saturday evening time myself so decided to go to the Kilkenny v Clare game this time. Got a decent ticket on ticketmaster. I cant remember for sure but thought the semi finals were €40 for stand tickets last year but they're 50 this year.

Damien Dempsey lads the Dublin Bob Marley. Ye don't know what ye're missing 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Stand tickets were €50 for the semi-finals last year, and also in 2021 & 2019 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I notice some of the upper decks are open for tickets online. That suggests that there is serious interest in that match. I've got my tickets for the Clare match thankfully. They're not in a great spot but I'm just delighted to be heading up to croker. There was a great Clare crowd last year but I was shocked at the lack of turn out from Kilkenny. Interesting to see if that's the case again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

And things like this do impact the attendances, which is a shame

Last year's Leinster final (Galway v Kilkenny) was on at 7pm on a Saturday, and had a very poor attendance and atmosphere, naturally.

It basically excludes families straight off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

They seem to do this with Saturday games based on the fact people could be working but it makes no sense as if they are working anything more than a half day they probably cant make a match at 6pm either

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

All Damien Dempsey fans are mad hurling fans🤭

• Advertisement

Isn't more about not upsetting the work and shopping crowds in the host city rather than the fans.

Also it's not just so fans can go there are also the working fans who can now go to the pub or get home to see it.

Would rather them on separate Sundays though.

Advertisement