Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

I see what your saying but i think you could kind of do both. Galway United have a very good academy in place with backing of the Comers and possible plans to build in Athenry, Shamrock Rovers have done a very good job also. I think the FAI plan to Grade the Academys and invest accordingly. I'm from Athlone and I would give Athlone Town a penny give the messing thats going on at that club but others definitely deserve funding. If we have a 10/12 team premier division i dont see why you couldnt invest in those to start off with and make them excellent.

Until we get more full time coaches in place we are going to struggle. FFS Luton have more full time youth coaches than all of the LOI clubs combined. Some of that their fault but alot rests on the FAI on always exporting the football development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

And where is this investment going to come from? It all seems like pie in the sky stuff. You would need a sheikh with a bit of grá for LOI football to make any proper go of it.

I still remember how some Bohs fans were already spending all the millions in their head that they were going to get for selling Dallymount to developers.

Never happened.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Robbie Keane appointed as manager for Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Yeah, just saw that. That is a bit left field two year contract.

Apparently he was looking at Brondby in Denmark at one stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Go read the FAI strategic plan and stop talking about things with regard to the LOI you know nothing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

There is no money in Irish football. True 50 years ago, true now. In a game showered with money, Ireland is the poor man of UEFA.

until you take on that issue, Ireland won’t be much to write home about and will only have occasional years of boom mainly based around the skill and marketability of the likes of Roy keane, Robbie keane and Evan Ferguson followed by years of bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Niall_76

Yes. We need some more government intervention on this. Hopefully with academies being out in place this will make it easier to get some funding. The academies desperately need more full time positions to be successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Invest in both but for the here and now they should go the national academy route first and foremost. Get that set up while working with the clubs in the background on long term improvements. You'll still the need the grassroots and LOI to develop those players from a young age and continue to develop those who don't make it into the national academies.

Israel have similar set up. They worked with UEFA to set up a full time national academy and would still have decent academies at club level for those that aren't selected.

You'll always get players that slip through the cracks and Seamus Coleman was someone that easily could have happened to. Wasn't involved in his leagues Kennedy Cup team, and his first involvement with an FAI underage team was the U18s Schools team I believe after he joined Sligo.

• Advertisement

I already saw a video where there was an FAI man who launched it - first thought 'window dressing' . Where the FAI man bemoaned the fact that there has been no investment for 20 plus years

Looking at the plan itself -

The report - 'Building a best-in-class, fit-for-purpose organisation' ?

My reaction - just talk

--

The report - Embracing Digital Technologies

My reaction - so?

--

The report - 'Building a Trusted and Respected brand'

My reaction - can't even get a main sponsor?

--

The report - 'Driving Investment to achieve our Strategy'

My reaction - that is code for we will take money from anywhere we can find it

--

The report - 'Developing a collaborative and inclusive culture'  

My reaction - isn't that lovely. It must tie in with the plan to build more women's jacks?

--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well we can 'agree to disagree' in a sense, but you're not really explaining why these disparate things should be coupled. Youth football should be all about development, indeed all of the U.K. academies (even at the Championship level) focus on technical ability and tactical awareness within fluid systems; and those programs do their thing irrespective of how agricultural the current senior manager and team is.

The FAI neglected youth development and successive managers failed to plug in to what the U21s were doing and who could potentially be worthy of a call up. At the same time we played excessively practical football. The emotional conclusion is that it is all one and the same. Playing more expansive football at senior level is intertwined with better ways of working and more appropriate cap doffing to the youth and domestic game. But it's not. It doesn't matter whether we play expansive football for the senior team or not; the youth stuff needs to be there. And managers should have it written in their contract that they will attend U21 games when practical, meet with the U21 manager, etc.

The next step in this line of reasoning becomes the 'well there's no point qualifying unless we play the "right" way' - i.e. it would have been better not to qualify for Euro 2012 if we were going to be outclassed like we were. This is also a misconception, the revenue boost and the psychology boost for the game in Ireland is all from qualifying. You don't get docked money from UEFA if you hoof the ball in the tournament proper.

As with any topic we need to eschew the extremists. The 'LOI managers aren't able to do the Ireland job' people can get in the sea. As can anyone who thinks we should just play Neanderthal football while not bothering to have youth development structures or a national league. But equally, purism doesn't belong in a reasonable conversation around Irish football. Where we don't have cohesive development structures we should build them. There should be a national framework and approach to youth competition. The FAI needs to take its responsibilities to the health of the domestic league seriously. And yes, the Ireland Manager can't take a mercenary view, that they are an island and law unto themselves who can ignore the broader scope of the association.

But in saying all of that, if the Senior team becomes practical and well organized again under Kenny's successor it will not mean that we have given up on all the other things. Emotionally, maybe it will feel like that. But there is no youth development taking place within the Senior camp during International windows. They are not working on the future of the domestic league. They're trying to **** win football matches so they can qualify for tournaments. And that should obviously 100% be their sole focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I guess Spain, Belgium, Germany and recently England have been taking the wrong approach so

......... to bring peace to the middle east. Hopefully it works out for him though because there's a serious lack of Irish managers in the professional game.

Fair play to Robbie for even thinking to go there though.

If he does halfway decent gets some sort of European competition run, and suddenly in today's climate he is a main candidate for the Ireland senior job in future - in many people's eyes.

Smart shrewd move by Robbie, then again he has always been smart like that. Clever enough to move to Wolves as a young lad to give him more chance of playing instead of going to Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Do you think Gareth Southgate's England play the same style of football as their youth teams?

Nevertheless, most of the nations you cite have the most talented playing pools in International Football with the most depth. Belgium have just enjoyed their golden generation. People are reading about Germany's 'reboot' and learning the wrong lesson imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I see Robbie is getting a bit of abuse for the politics.

I dunno, I think this is one of those times we could decouple your views on Israel from football.

Surprising move regardless

Doubt he'll be there long enough to care. They've had around 30 managers (caretakers included) in the last 23 years since Avram Grant left. He'll be their sixth manager since Vladimir Ivić left three years ago and one of those managers was Vladimir Ivić who went back last summer but left in January.

See again I think you have very little knowledge of whats actually going on with the FAI and football in Ireland. Have you read the infrastructure plan (you know since you're waffling on about investment) where they did study of the infrastructure in the country and put a plan and costs together for investment over the next 20 years? Were you too busy dreaming of Roy Keane as manager to see the news where the FAI for the first time in there lives put a proper plan and document to go to government. You it was quite a big deal to us who are involved in grassroots football here.

They all play a variation of 4-3-3 most of the time. The u21s have lined out with 4-4-2s in the euros the last week, but with changes as the game went and players listed in positions they most definitely were not playing.

They are not identikit tactics no, they are all following the same basic prinicipals though in terms of formations, tactics and how to play certain positions. PLayers who are on the fringes of 2 squads, seem to get tried in one or 2 positions more frequently too.

You're being dismissive to the point of ignorance. They do have larger playing pools. but they also all went back to square 1, and from youth level up, overhauled the entire system including all youth national teams.

The work should have been done 10-20 years ago when we had a relatively strong senior team, but it wasn't, so we can no longer be driven by just results at senior level, and have to accept we are kind of where some of the teams we'd handily beat in the past are now.

• Advertisement

So that is what you are excited about the FAI make a plan with notions? Jayus. Arn't you easily pleased?

They had one in 2016 ya know. 2016-2020

https://www.fai.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/FAI%20Strategic%20Plan%202016-2020.pdf

That was glossy with lots of colour.

I had a look at Pillar 8 'facilities' from the 2016 strategic plan.

'The investment in football facilities has been and continues to be a key driver for the development of our game. The Association has played an active and progressive role in facility development since 2002, when funding via the Irish Government’s Sports Capital Programme was increased significantly. The absence of a Sports Capital Programme that clubs could participate in between 2008 and 2012 on account of the economic crisis hindered but did not stop this progress.'

--

But in the strategic plan after that we have the FAI saying facilities have been neglected.

From the video above 'We believe football has been underinvested in the last 25 years, we have fallen behind our European counterparts in facilities investment'

--

Who is codding who lads? And I was thinking about 10 clubs would need 40 million each to get their stadiums and facilities up to scratch a decent ground etc.

Yet we have Johnathan Hill above is on about the need for female toilets, and clubhouses which need to built. Talk about a low base.

I have no issue with the need to overhaul youth teams and approach to youth development.

But if your contention is that these nations temporarily paused trying to win matches at Senior level (or significantly reduced their competitive expectations) while they did that it seems unsupported by what actually happened.

The idea that we just sit here and accept sloppy underperformance at senior level indefinitely because of past mistakes is mad.

Seriously? You quote one of the biggest crooks the country has ever seen in a debate about the FAI's plans and looking for investment? If you read the FAI's current one you can see JD was lying through his teeth in the 2016-2020 plan. Yes us who are involved in Grassroots football know what a state the facilities are in and are glad to see the FAI highlight it instead of trying to paper over the very wide cracks!

Again please stop, you know nothing about grassroots football and care about the glamour and gloss of the senior team so i suggestion you stick to that.

They absolutely realised that winning at senior level might suffer for a few years. Belgium went 10 years without qualifying for a major tournament. This was a country who had been in every world cup since 82 prior.

Spain were knocked out in the first knockout of 4 tournaments out of 5. England consistenly fell at quarters and famously didn't get to Euro 2008. Germany are a bit of an outlier. The didn't enjoy 98 and 2000 was an embarrassment from which they made sweeping changes while keeping the first team competitive, but they were able to drop an awful lot of players and call on a new generation

Spain, Germany and England had a conveyor belt of talented players, so could do both, but they all reached the common goal in some form. England have performed better than they have in 30 years the last 3 tournaments, with a less talented group of players. Spain and Germany, well we know they went an won stuff. Germany are talking about another overhaul too.

We are not good enough at the top end to say we absolutely have to win games, we just are not. And we are not trying to not win games. We absolutely are, but have to recognise the limited ability of what we currently have available.

We need to have better coaching at all levels, facilities and a common identity running through the levels. Not identical, but common. If you can get 1 or 2 players from your under 21 squad this year into a regular full international, you're doing quite well. We need to have the constant progression of a players,knowing that some will drop off, more will emerge, but for a long time, it's just been who is at a high profile club in many instances.

I've fallen on the Kenny out side lately though.I think the Greece game showed me he hasn't learned from past mistakes. We can point to Gibraltar and say he made good changes, and got the game won, but that's the minimum for that level of opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Fair play to Robbie taking that job, would love to see it work out for him. Gut instinct is it will go terribly however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

yeah, I jump in here with Lloyd and also express confusion at the link being put forward between poor senior team results and grassroots development.

I never understand the footballers getting grief for politics, that is beyond their control.

They are sports people involved in capitalist industry and are free to go where they wish in the furtherance of their career.

They are footballers.

You only line seems to be that I know nothing, it is like I hit a nerve or something. You seem to equate the FAI in it's current guise as more than a organisation and some sort of 'crusade'. When someone has that mindset there is no talking to them.

Go to LOI games you said = I have done

Read the strategic plan you said = I have done

In your head you seem to be really adamant on the 'turning point' mantra etc. You seem to have really brought into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

<snip>Mod: removed, personal abuse<snip>

Post edited by artanevilla on

Could be a good move. Ipswich looked good last season and probably won't be one of the three teams marked as favourites for relegation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Yes we will indeed just have to agree to disagree. You think the senior team should be decoupled to use your word from the pathway below it. I think they should be connected. It really is that simple no big explanations needed.

Irish football from an infrastructure and development pathway is an utter embarrassment compared to our European peers from top to bottom and that is finally being reflected in the lack of quality in our senior team which is IMHO is at its worst level from a talent pool standpoint since the early 1970's. I would say we face a long rebuild but that would be wrong as we have long since assumed clubs in the UK would do development for us but since the big TV money started to flood into their leagues that has at first gradually but after a while very rapidly cut off that faucet ultimately leading us to the shambles we find ourselves in now. We in reality are almost starting from scratch when it comes to putting in place the development pathways and infrastructure needed to develop the game in Ireland at all levels right. We have a long way to go and sadly as a result our senior team will likely be operating from a very poor and low talent pool level for some time to come yet.

You talking about me or the person who know little to nothing about grassroots football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Definitely not you. As someone involved in grassroots football to see someone so ill-informed speak so certainly about a topic they know nothing about is maddening. Not sure why he's allowed to continue to speak the way he does in the thread. Actually I do know but I also know nothing will be done about it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Attack the post, not the poster. Warnings may be handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭budgemook

This thread has really gone to the pits since the Greece game. Someone expresses some cynicism about an FAI strategic plan and next thing they shouldn't be allowed to give an opinion because they are not involved in grassroots football? What next, don't give an opinion on the state of the pop charts today unless you're a trained musician? Come on.

Time to take a break I think!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You are allowed to give an opinion. You also must be prepared to have your opinion challenged, this is a forum not an echo chamber. You have the option of countering someone's opinion as long as you don't descend into personal abuse, you also have the option of not engaging at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Decent interview withn Festy Ebosele - hope he kicks on next season. Having someone with real pace and power in the team is badly needed

https://www.goal.com/en/lists/festy-ebosele-superstar-irish-youngster-wayne-rooney-tipped-top/bltb70429e4b8ed0498#cs82b889233a2032df

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Today could be the day that we finally cut all ties to the Delaney era. Time for Kenny to go. It's what the supporters want and it's what's needed. Let's see if we've got a new FAI or it's more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Is there an announcement expected from the FAI today? A presser lined up?

• Advertisement

No, nothing is gonna be done until either the WC is over or Septembers games. They're also not gonna sack the manager when their first choice replacement for the job is still employed.

I was led to believe that they were meeting today. No word on any press conference. We all know that Kenny is finished. No point letting it run any longer. Let the process of appointing a new manager commence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I am interested to see how some Irish fans react in the post Delaney era where instead of pretending we are big time, we just tacitly admit that we are small time and the days of glamour appointments, patronage of billionaires, enormous compensation fees and dressing up financial statements will be replaced by limited board terms, independent board members and corporate governance.

now we just have to depend on the actual footballers coz we’ll just replace an average manager in Kenny with another Mr. Average in a couple of months.

How did Udinese end up finding him? Or did Festy request a move beyond the usual UK etc?

The Rooney line of

"But if you are asking me if I think [Udinese] is the right move for him, then no, I don't. I think he should stay in England... It is always difficult for a young player to go abroad."

-made me laugh.

Because I thought of the line Arsenal used when trying to keep Liam Brady before he moved to Italy.

'But you will be will be playing abroad!' Liam simply said 'I already am abroad....'

Cut all ties while half the board are the same people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The supporters have always had SKs back. You see a lot of nonsense on social media but I wonder how many of them actually goto games.

Not saying you are wrong but if Niall who supports Liverpool and never buys a ticket for an Ireland game thinks Kenny should then I am not really interested.

There were no anti SK chants at the Gibraltar game however the lack of pro Kenny chants was noticeable. Another loss at home would see the end of him (imo) but I cannot see him being removed now.

• Advertisement

Kenny was Delaney's man. It's worked out just as well as most things under the rule of JD. Utter failure. The board have been talking a good game. Moving on from Delaney into a new, open, regimented organisation. Like you, I have my doubts as some were involved previously but let's see what they do with this issue.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The tide has turned completely. Those who backed Kenny in the past have now had to admit that he's not up to it. Some have done so begrudgingly but still have said he should go. The media who previously backed him have also turned on him. Ex players coming out to say it's time to move on. The games up, it's just a matter of if the FAI pull the trigger now or waste more time.

There is still plenty of support for Kenny from fans, the media and ex-pros. This doesn't generates clicks as much as "Kenny Out - ex-Ireland pro with 5 caps says" so it's not as apparent. As the poster above said certainly at the Gibraltar game there was no real Kenny out feelings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

Senior international manager is a significant cost for the FAI, which is why I don’t see them pulling the trigger.

You get rid of him now then you pay him his contract anyway, you also pay an interim manager or a permanent one early if you find one - and all during a group of death where it’s incredibly unlikely that bringing someone else in will mean that we qualify to justify the extra cost.

So I imagine he keeps his job for the rest of the campaign. If we qualify he’d obviously keep it, if we have a strong finish to the campaign(beating Greece and finishing third) and have a playoff he stays for that, anything else the contract isn’t renewed.

Some talk it's three months pay is what compensation would cost. So about €137.5K.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement