Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blur Sat 24th June 2023 Malahide Castle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I have to say that I really like the Golden Circle and I don't mind paying a bit extra for it (once it's reasonable) as I don't have the time or ability to queue outside venues for hours before gates open.

Foo Fighters had one in the RDS that was priced the same as general standing which was great so it was first come first served on tickets.

The one for Blur was great that you could get up close without having to worry about being swarmed.

As pointed out though, the toilets were so far away and wading through hoards of people to get them wasn't fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Did anyone bring a bag into malahide, planning to bring a small back pack to hold raincoat, sandwich and water, just wondering if it will be ok

Nothing bigger than a4 sized tote is rule these days. But small pack back should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

The comments on the Gold Circle are interesting. If it is indeed an insurance/safety-related requirement I'm pretty sure you could have it but make it smaller so that GA are still close to the action - especially judging by the amount of space in there. I could support that. Several people have commented on the amount of space and I gather it was sold out.

Being that far back after getting there at a decent hour and paying a high ticket price as it is (relatively speaking), just does not sit right. And we shouldn't give the benefit of the doubt to the organisers because time and again they prove that money is the priority. It doesn't even make sense for the band because surely the atmosphere suffers as a result as well? I guess you'd have to ask them.

Regarding bags I brought in a very small backpack.

• Advertisement

You could say the same thing about most seated gigs though. Seats up the front cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

It’s all the empty space in Gold Circle that irritates me. No problem with it existing, just price it reasonably (which they often do) and sell enough tickets to get it pretty full. Lots of empty space @ Blur

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭fillup

Does anyone know if all the people in the queue for the Dart got a Dart?

We got ours about 23:50 and I heard last Dart was at 00:00 and there's no way everyone in the queue would've fitted on one more Dart (I'm guessing if they did finish at midnight then there would only have been one more Dart)

Again there is set h&s formulas on amount of people in a square foot etc so pit areas areas have extra space cause for non gold circle GA everyone concentrates near the front of the barriers and there is a ton of space at sides and back with no one around.

also golden circle pits need extra space as risk of crushes/moshing and use as first aid entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Didn't have a Gold Circle ticket, but the Circle didn't seem that huge tbh. I had visions of it taking up half the venue, but being outside it was grand. Could still be reasonably close.

With regards to the DART afterwards, we were really slow getting out. The queue was WAY up the road, so thought it'd take forever to get on one, but it was absolutely grand. Far less painful than getting there, when we were stuck waiting in Tara St for an hour and a half, then packed into a train that felt like a sauna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,398 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can't recommend 'Marathon Coaches enough

Very handy setup at the designated bus stop outside the Customs House and after the concert

Sorry, but the Gold Circle barrier, which we were at basically, went right back to roughly 15 metres (give or take) in front of the sound stage. That is not close to the stage. Close enough to enjoy it yes (thankfully), and make out the band etc. But not close by any definition. Fair enough if it didn't bother people, that's grand. But there were a lot of people bemused, lots more than are on here. It's just not cool. Try and find an aerial shot (I couldn't) if you can. There are aerial shots of previous shows, where the distance from soundstage to barrier, to stage, can be imagined. Quite a distance.

Barrier could be closer to stage so people aren't feeling short-changed, volume reduced, and Gold Circle people catered for - special needs, young folk, people who need space, whatever. Is that too much to ask? As someone mentioned yes, seated gigs can also have tiered prices obviously, but you would usually have a seat, in a small enough venue, with a good view. For nearly 90 quid you expect more. An armchair with my own waiting staff preferably :)

Thankfully Blur rocked my socks off so I wasn't thinking about it.

Again the pit extending to the sound desk is very normal. It’s exact same at electric picnic. From an operational sense it makes sense to split pit at the sound desk.

the pit for Bruce Springsteen at rds was similar, about 20/30 metres out.

could of been worse mcd are bringing in 3 seperate pits and calling the final 1/3 of marlay park the rear admission

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Gold Circle is a load of bollocks. A pit allocated on first come first served should be the way. Utterly sick of the fan being taken for a ride by all and sundry. And i rarely go to big gigs, it just doesn't sit right with me.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

gold circle for €10 extra is so handy, no queueing for ages for a wristband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

It's another cash grab. Make it a fan club thing or something if people are that desperate to get in to it.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

A fan club thing would cost way more than €10 extra. Those fan clubs that offer any tangible ticket benefit are upwards of €50 per year with no guarantees.

And sure blur couldn’t be described as an active band in the last decade

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I don't know what gig that's for, but that "Rear GA" is horrific. Expensive too. Do they brand "scum" on your forehead as you go in to make it clear how they view you?

That’s the marlay park set up thus year for def leopard/motley crue and the weeknd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'll bet a chicken fillet burger meal there is zero enforcement of that at either concert.

I’’ll say there is barriers/wristbands at if

You're really sellin this. Not sure why. I ain't buying :)

I've been going to MCD gigs and festivals for about over 25 years. They do stuff for money. Clearly that's what they are in business for in fairness to them. However the point being made by some people here is that customer experience is given priority only in a reactionary manner and historically only after major backlashes or incidents. It's not the same everywhere but it's always been like this in Ireland.

Just because something becomes "normal" or normalised doesn't necessarily make it right. I'll repeat what I said, they could, if they wanted, make the GC smaller, and cater for that group and in doing so also avoid giving two fingers to fans who have paid c 90 quid to stand in field. That's my only point. Not that they shouldn't do it, but that they could do it better.

And as for this other thing people are taking about - stand at the back behind the chip vans or whatever it is, well honestly that's just appalling.

Selling pit tickets have been going on for years, nothing new or exciting. It’s just been rebranded as good circle in the last decade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Plenty of people sitting enjoying the gig for free outside the arena has probably given them the idea to sell tickets for a **** zone!

The reality is that if the price was too high for not being in the golden circle versus being in the golden circle, people didn't need to go and can vote with their wallet. The "seating plan" was there for all to see so it's nonsense to say it was giving two fingers to fans. Not to mention, it was one of the smallest golden circle areas I've seen. The ones at Foo Fighters, Rolling Stones were way bigger.

You could make the exact same argument that it's unfair that just because people have the time to queue for a gig for hours before, that they get priority and into a pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Doesn't seem to be any kind of golden circle tickets for Florence and the Machine tonight.

I'm not sure I understand your point and forgive me for pointing out that calling someone's opinion "nonsense" needs a better argument than you provided above. By your rational just because something is announced in advance, then it's fine? As you know from my comments I'm not coming in crazy hard on this. But you won't convince me that this can't be done better. And the fact that the GC areas in those other shows were bigger makes no odds to me - that just makes those shows even worse IMO. This is for money not the audience experience. Happy to respectfully disagree.

They should actually charge people for listening from their back gardens as well. And a small charge if they stay in their house but leave the windows open.

• Advertisement

Sound desks at outdoor shows have to be about 20 metres of so back for the sweet acoustic spot for soundchecks and live sound mixing.

its been standard practice for decades that the pit ends at the sound desk. Operationally easier to have fencing etc running from sound desk.

charging for pit access has also been a thing for years as well. Again it’s not universal and sure likes of malahide/st Anne’s were not charging every night.

neighbours of concert venues understandably don’t want people camping outside their houses for days before so selling pit access helps this.

its been a part of event licensing approval that promoters can’t have people queing outside venues anymore.

so selling pit access is now more common and if it’s a nominal add on that people can choose I don’t see it as too bad.

acting like being in general admission is such a dramatically worse experience

Advertisement