Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

When they talk about approvals here, is this just AIP or drawdown?

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's AIP.

It's a fairly good statistic for measuring demand of private buyers, as AIP is obviously sought by those who intend to buy. Of course, whether or not these people actually find something in their price range is where the supply problem kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Nothing makes sense at the moment with mortgage banking here. I'm usually pretty good at working out what is going on behind the scenes but I can't put my finger on the current situation.

As somebody pointed out here before we went from one of the highest mortgage rates to one of the lowest in the EU.

Your point above about our central bank chief giving more money but telling others to tighten.

I just did an online mortgage application with AIB. With 50% LTV their variable rate is 3.15%. The deposit rate with ECB is 3.5%. They could park the money with zero risk and get a higher return.

What is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

If the median income of FTBs is 103k, by your own admission, then half of them have household income below that.

Your claim was for a household income of 130k being the achievable norm.

But by your very own figures they show substantially more than half of FTBs earn less than that.

ie, quite literally, as I said, a vast majority.

Statistics prove things far more reliable than unquantified speculation.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭hometruths

Just another day in the Irish housing market. So many things don't add up!

• Advertisement

Your claim was for a household income of 130k being the achievable norm.

Er, it literally is what the average household of first time buyers earns. It's a very achievable norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

If the vast majority of households in Dublin are earning less than 130k, which they are, then its not "very achievable" by any statistical demographic metric.

Calling a household income almost 300% the median household income (47k) for the country "very achievable" is either a terrible bias or extreme naivety.

Sorry @timmyntc , I was totally wrong here.

The data is based on full mortgage approval.

What is an approval?

A mortgage approval is defined as a“firm offer” to a customer of a credit facility secured on a specific residential property.

Which basically is telling us that in May 2023 more FTBs bought a house than ever before.

The median household income includes households and people who will never be able to buy a house. Part time workers, no workers, people on zero hour contracts, etc. I'm not sure what relevance you think this statistic has to this topic. It wouldn't matter if house prices were 50% of what they are today, these people would still never be in a position to buy.

What we know for certain, because the data makes it very clear, is that the average first time buyer in Dublin can buy a 450k house.

So when you said:

very few FTBs in Dublin are buying 3bed semi-ds these days at 500k a pop

The data disagrees, as it shows quite clearly that this price bracket is only a bit above what the average FTB is buying. A couple with slightly above average income will afford 500k no problem, and again, the data makes this fairly clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I suppose as more houses get built we should expect more FTBs to be buying - the record number of drawdowns just supports the idea that we have record demand.

Which flies in the face of articles like that BNP opinion piece posted earlier claiming that the housing shortage is only based on fictitious forward projections. It is not - this is pent up demand in action, price of 3 bed home in Dublin is 15% higher than tiger peak, and we have now hit all time high for FTB volume in a month.

Id nearly expect new build prices to keep trending up slowly now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Interesting, I thought it was AIP as there is a separate drawdown report by the same entity. Only produced quarterly I think.

Sometimes feel everyone is so negative about housing (and with good reason in many case), that they can’t see the wins when they stare us in the face. If FF/FG set out their stall 18 months ago and promised that:

• More FTBs would get approval to buy a house than ever before

• Unemployment would hit all time lows.

• We’d have some of the cheapest mortgage rates in Europe

• House prices would still fall 5-10%+ in real terms despite the above

• Housing completions would hit levels not seen since Celtic Tiger.

Theyd have been widely ridiculed, yet that is where we are today. Still a long way to go. Rental, in particular, is still a complete shambles, but these last 12-18 months have been almost surreal in terms of progress for those wanting more FTBs getting houses and cheaper prices. Yet still it seems all doom and gloom. Hopefully this current trend continues and things will be a lot better very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

I'm guessing 'persistent' means more than 2 more hikes.

Christine Lagarde has called for “persistent” interest rate rises by the European Central Bank to avoid prices staying above its target as a result of tight labour markets and a big increase in eurozone wages. The ECB president told its annual conference in Sintra, Portugal, that the eurozone had been hit by “overlapping inflationary shocks since the end of the pandemic”. By raising its benchmark interest rate from minus 0.5 per cent last year to 3.5 per cent this month, she said the ECB had “made significant progress” in addressing high inflation but it “cannot declare victory yet”.

https://www.ft.com/content/a3dda9bd-4dbd-401c-a9f3-894fe72be8f7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

Are they seeking to kill off the foreign competition?

Volume of trading is at record lows (a symptom of low supply) 

If volume of trading is at record lows, whilst new build completions have been rising (albeit from a low base), surely that would suggest that it is the second hand market where the thin volume problem is most acute?

I get that every new build unit is sold on open market to Joe Public, but irrespective of who buys it and to what end it is a housing unit sale. If it is not sold to an owner occupier it will be sold to a landlord for the rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

Housing completions would hit levels not seen since Celtic Tiger

Nearly All of your points could equally apply to the maximum damage phase of the Celtic tiger.

Remember for ftb to purchase at current prices they have to come up with funding that equals what investment funds were able to raise paying no tax and an environment of negative interest rates and the state panic buying

Large deposits + low deposit rate = profit at the moment.

Presumably the banks think, at this point in time, there's more money to be made by keeping the deposit rate low vs increasing the mortgage rates.

I think conditions in housing market are a long way from where they were at peak Celtic Tiger. But my main point is I’m just confused as to what people want to see when they open news like today.

Mortgage approvals up - Bad News, prices will go up. Reckless lending

Mortgage approvals down - Bad News, nobody can buy a house. Rental market is terrible and I’m trapped.

The majority of the key metrics for housing are trending in the right way. Approvals up, prices down, completions up, employment levels up. If this isn’t good progress, then I don’t know what good progress is.

Sadly I think the reality is that many people want - ‘Mortgage approvals drop to zero…except for me, where the banks are happy to lend infinite funds to me…and prices drop 80% because nobody else can get approval…but builders keep building so I have lots of choice despite prices falling 80%…and then after I buy, banks start lending again and all returns to normal’

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I would hazard a guess that BoMD is more the rule rather than the exception these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Banks are not paying for deposits and instead using the increased margin on deposits to subsidise the margin on the loan book.

You also need to take into account that we have an inverted yield curve at the moment where overnight money gets a better return than further out the curve. This is because the expectation is that rates will be cut in the future due to a weaker economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Approvals up, prices down

Please stop with this utter nonsense, more demand/money only sends prices one way. You are possibly over-lapping two sets of figures weeks or months apart. Record approvals would certainly account for the sudden surge occurring in the last 4 weeks or so - in demand and in selling prices. Was at a house viewing last night in Dublin, thirty to forty interested parties there.

• Advertisement

You’re way oversimplifying. Mortgaged FTB demand is only a piece of the puzzle. You’re ignoring that

• institutional demand has likely fallen by ludicrous amounts due increases in risk free rates

• upsizing demand has likely fallen as people don’t want to give up locked in low mortgage rates

• speculative investment, general sentiment is likely waning as global housing markets turned late last year/early this year.

• Cash is now longer yielding 0/negative making property investing less attractive to Joe soap.

• US dollar has weakened significantly vs the Euro hurting the purchasing power of wealthy expat buyers returning to Ireland who have been a SIGNIFICANT factor pushing up prices at the higher end during the last two years.

• private FTB demand is also impacted by levels of skilled inward migration. Possibly slowed due likes of Meta etc. reducing their size

• supply is increasing through higher completions, landlords exiting, possibly more vacant units coming into use as holding derelict property is expensive with risk free rates at 3%.

Mortgage approvals for FTBs have been pretty steadily climbing every year for donkeys years now. House prices have been falling for several months.

These are both facts from very reputable sources of data.

It most certainly is not ‘nonsense’. If it were as easy as more approvals = higher prices then we wouldn’t have so many diverging opinions on the housing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

surely completions are years from balancing out year on year increases in demand

every landlord who sells is another person desperate to buy

was their really speculative investment? I mean there was buy to let investment obviously, but that is long term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

"• upsizing demand has likely fallen as people don’t want to give up locked in low mortgage rates"

I think this point is very underappreciated. When you consider also that any new purchase probably comes with some renovation work, and labour and materials are currently crazily expensive and scarce, this is going to be a big drag on the non-FTB market. Possilby also on the FTB market, but to a much lesser extent because they effectively have no alternative

Yeah not sure on completion numbers vs demand. There’s hugely varying numbers on that, usually coming down to different assumptions of net migration and changes in household size. We had an article posted here earlier saying we have no supply issue at all!

Whether outright speculative or not, I’ve no doubt people were happy enough holding onto a vacant house for a few years until a child may use it for college, possibly buy one for some potential future need even doing a bit of AIRBNB on the side. This was encouraged by negative deposit interest rates which people just hated paying.

Wasn't a bad option to have a property sitting there going up 10% a year when the alternative was cash you’d be charged for holding. It’s now very expensive to hold onto an asset which is yielding 0.

its widely circulated on demand versus supply

look at both the housing and the rental market which is even worse, so whatever article that is is just obviously wrong

no one is holding onto a vacant property to the 10-20 years it might take to get to college without using it and if they are they aren't doing it at the supposed top of the market, you would rent it, in fact due to supply issues you'd be mad not to due to the rent, obviously there are risks, but you can be choosy on who you rent to and this drops the risk right off

there might have been nothing to be gained on savings but there are other methods of investing

up sizing is usually done on a needs basis

the people who have locked in at a fixed rate have mostly done it over maybe 2-3 years

id say it would be down the list if you needed to upscale

what makes you think you would need to renovate any new property? If you stay in place your choices are put up with it or say extend your own place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Most people up-sizing are more financially comfortable. A lot even with little or no mortgage. Like the idea of moving from the starter home theyve had for years to something a bit nicer etc. GEtting any sort of exctension nowadays is cost prohibitive so its easier to just move to an already done bigger house to get the space you want if your current one doesnt do it for you anymore.

A lot of people move up the house value chain out of desire rather than need. I know for us, if in 5 years when our fixed rate is up, if mortgage rates were still 2/3%. We’d probably take our savings and buy something more valuable (smaller house though). If mortgage rates are 5/6%, we’ll clear the mortgage instead and not trade-up.

So there is definitely a cohort of potential trader uppers who’s demand is variable in a different way to the need of FTBs who are sort of forced buyers these days.

Another fact often overlooked. Nearly 40% of house buyers in Ireland do so without any mortgage at all. So a material proportion of the demand over here is completely detached from mortgage approval data.

https://extra.ie/2023/04/08/property/a-third-homes-bought-with-cash

Do you have kids? That's the real driver of trading up, apartments to houses etc, the property ladder

Loads of people move house and that is a big portion of cash buyers

Everyone trading down as an example, everyone of those entire estate bought out by reits

• Advertisement

Here is an archived link to the article which removes the paywall so you can judge for yourself whether it is wrong

https://archive.is/UAC8U

In essence his point is:

Confronted by this evidence, why is there such a widely-held conviction that Ireland’s property market is undersupplied?

i.e the chronic undersupply narrative is so strong that it is blinding us to looking at potential other causes and thus solutions.

When these articles crop up occasionally they're roundly trashed and the authors ridiculed, the comments here being a perfect example.

But I think these guys are genuinely trying to raise awareness of the possibility with the best intentions - they're trying to raise a warning flag of the consequences of getting this wrong. If the chronic undersupply narrative is even a little shaky we could move from undersupply to oversupply very quickly.

If that happens the same people who are trashing those now as idiots cribbing and moaning, will be the first to say "Hang on, how come nobody saw this coming, why weren't we warned this was a possibility, where's my nama etc etc."

We've been down exactly the same road before.

Advertisement