Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Here are the latest census findings.

While the NI one is stable (there are those who would have you believe differently here) and the 'Irish' one is up, there is one identity in decline.

• In Census 2021, 814,600 people (42.8%) living here identified solely or along with other national identities as ‘British’. This is down from 876,600 people (48.4%) in 2011.

• In Census 2021, 634,600 people (33.3%) living here identified solely or along with other national identities as ‘Irish’. This is up from 513,400 people (28.4%) in 2011.

• In Census 2021, 598,800 people (31.5%) living here identified solely or along with other national identities as ‘Northern Irish’. This is up from 533,100 people (29.4%) in 2011.*

*That figure includes other national identities. The figures for 'Northern Irish' are actually down on 2011.

379,300 people in 2011 and 376,400 people in 2021.

And you think the Shinners should be worried????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'll even save you the time, here's ChatGPT explaining why you're missing the point itself;

Using ChatGPT to write arguments for a debate can be problematic for several reasons:

1. Lack of critical thinking: Debates require critical thinking and the ability to construct logical arguments. While ChatGPT can generate text, it does not possess genuine understanding or reasoning capabilities. It may produce arguments that sound plausible but lack the necessary depth, coherence, or evidence required for a robust debate.

2. Potential biases: ChatGPT learns from vast amounts of text data, which can introduce biases into its responses. These biases can influence the arguments it generates, potentially leading to one-sided or unfair perspectives. Relying solely on ChatGPT for argument generation can result in a lack of diverse viewpoints and hinder the exploration of different perspectives.

3. Inaccurate or outdated information: ChatGPT's training data only goes up until September 2021. It may not be aware of recent events, developments, or research findings. This limitation can lead to inaccuracies or outdated information in the arguments it produces. Debates require reliable and up-to-date information to present compelling arguments.

4. Insufficient context understanding: ChatGPT lacks contextual understanding beyond what it has learned from its training data. It may struggle to grasp the nuances, complexities, and specific context of a debate topic. This limitation can result in arguments that miss the mark or fail to address the underlying issues adequately.

5. Impersonal and detached responses: Effective debates often involve emotional intelligence and the ability to connect with an audience. ChatGPT, as an AI model, lacks emotions, empathy, and real-world experiences. Its responses may come across as impersonal or detached, which can impact the effectiveness of arguments in a debate setting.

While ChatGPT can provide information and perspectives that may be helpful in preparing for a debate, it is crucial to critically evaluate and augment its output with human reasoning, research, and personal insights. Debates are better served by active human engagement, critical thinking, and the ability to respond dynamically to the arguments presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Well my goodness. That’s a pretty patronising response from you.

firstly, huge apologies for the typo. How inconsiderate of me. Going forward I promise I will try hardon.

You are falling over yourself to appear expert in the field of chatgpt (there’s maybe a thread we can carry this chat on on).

you are taking my ‘middle of the night’ chatgpt far far to serious. I don’t know why it has upset you so much. To suggest that this demonstrates the limited extent of my ability to utilise chatgpt - come on Fionn!

anyhow chatgpt advised us how to have better discourse and therefore I will back off this exchange and assist by summarising what I quoted in the midnight posts.

1) according to polls ui is a very long way off

2) young people who are up for a Ui now will probably mellow with age

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Based, I freely admit, on no data whatsoever my, um, instinct is that "Northern Irish" is, in part, an identity born out of a rejection of the binary British/Irish, Nationalist/Unionist, Protestant/Catholic duality that has so bedevilled the politics of NI. To some extent, those who identify as "Northern Irish" are telling you what they are not, rather than what they are. They reject any identity, and by extension any politics, that is defined in opposition to another group.

If and to the extent that I'm right about that, you'd expect NI-identifying people to be all over the shop as to how they would vote in a border poll — some would vote for the union, others for reunification with Ireland, still others would be "don't know" (meaning not, I have no opinion, but rather, I'll make a decision about that when it becomes a real-world question). One of the reasons I asked if we had any data on their voting preferences was to test my hypothesis.

I did find this paper produced for the NI Assembly in 2014-15 which has some interesting data on whether NI-identifying people see themselves as unionist, nationalist or neither; on their preference for direct rule, rule by the Assembly and reunification, etc. But it's 8 years old, and it predates the whole Brexit saga, which I suspect will have had something of a radicalising effect on the NI identity and on the positions NI-identifying people tend to adopt, so at this point I wouldn't take it as necessarily saying anything very reliable about NI-identifying people today.

[On edit: The paper I refer to above is the same one that Francie links to in post 1649.]

[Downcow: Friendly advice: do not use ChatGPT for anything that matters; in particular for your work. Its algorithm tends not so much to produce reliable material as to produce material presented in a way that suggests reliability. We perhaps shouldn't be surprised at this; it learns by digesting vast amounts of material posted to the internet and this focus on presentation characterises much of that material.

Sometime this focus on seeming reliable leads ChatGPT to imply that it has found more relevant data than in fact it has. (Example; in your post 1642 above Chat GPT lists three data points; two of them are in fact the same data point — an Irish Times/ARINS poll conducted in December 2022, as you will discover if you follow through the citations provided. But Chat GPT likes lists, and doesn't like lists of less than three items so, hey, here you go; three data points.)

Other times, Chat GPT will simply invent data and, if necessary, will invent citations to make its presentation of the data look more authoritative. If you then ask it to follow through and provide the cited sources, it will invent material and show you that rather than confess that the citations were bogus.

There are lawyers facing disciplinary proceedings in New York State right now for filing court documents citing "cases" that ChatGPT "found" for them that turned out not to exist.

Tldr: ChatGPT is clever, but not honest. Much like the internet, in fact.]

Sounds like a few human posters I know on here :)

• Advertisement

I completely agree on much of what you say about chatgpt, but I do think you and fionn may have thrown the baby out with the bath water.

I use chatgpt 4 with various plugins to wonderful effect in my work and personally.

when I write an email or letter (I use dictation software) I just ask it to rewrite it and maybe ask it to be formal, friendly, etc. 100% brilliant instant output every time.

If I want it to help me with marketing, pr, etc. I tell it the task and then tell it to ask me anything it needs to know from me to carry out the task effectively. It will ask me a series of questions, I answer, and bingo.

policies, risk assessments, etc. brilliant. Of course I will read them and tweak them, but it turns a 2 hour job into a 10 minute job.

etc etc etc

now I don’t want to patronise you guys, but it really is about engaging with it and learning how to ask it for help. I wouldn’t be without it.

but back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am not as optimistic as you are on that front. This link is a very difficult listen, clearly what Sinn Fein and the DUP tolerate happening in the areas that they electorally dominate is horrific.

Utterly sickening, but until the communities stand up and say enough is enough, and stop voting for political parties that quietly tolerate this, it will continue. There is no comparison with any other community on this island, no comparison to gang wars elsewhere, this is a horrific Northern Ireland practice.

Peregrinus I guess you may be correct that northern Irish is inclusive of lots of different positions. That in itself is a great positive and not unusual, maybe it’s an identity coming of age.

I guess Irish in the roi context contains a broad church of political opinions - it would be strange if it didn’t.

personally, to me, Northern Irish is not a rejection of anything. I have had a very strong northern Irish identity since I was a teenager. Maybe it’s out of being rejected rather than rejecting. I always felt we were a place apart. During the troubles, in a strange way it made you proud to come from ni and made our wee place exciting and different (that may sound warped but hey who’s not warped). The AIA in 1985 hurt as a British unionist. ‘Remember remember the 15th of November’. This had a huge impression on me. My northern irishness was massively emphasised and I became clearly NI first. The ulster flag replaced the union flag as my number one symbol, etc, etc. I’ve mellowed and that’s evolved. My northern irishness is now much more about a love for OWC and a desire that all our people can build this place together.

but rather than my northern irishness being an avoidance of other identities, I would guess my northern irishness is stronger, more pronounced, and a stronger sense of belonging than most Irish and English, etc

just my loved experience

And you will vote for the continuation of the Union, or for a Unionist party, while somebody else who also identifies as Northern Irish, will vote for a UI or a nationalist party.

It's not a homogenous voting bloc in other words.

Correct, the fact that it is not a homogenous voting bloc is another indicator that those of a Northern Irish persuasion are a clear sign of normalisation in that society.

However, I think you also need to distinguish between their political party voting intentions and their constitutional intentions. In relation to the latter, what you can expect is that the identification with Northern Ireland will need to be incorporated into any constitutional change that they might vote for. They will want the Northern Irish identity protected in any future overarching constitutional solution, even if they are voting DUP or Sinn Fein, though it should be noted that both of those parties do far worse within that identity than they do within their own sectarian community. The Alliance Party gets greater support from the Northern Irish identity than it does from elsewhere, so maybe that is where to look.

• Advertisement

Where is the data to support this idea that they 'will want the Northern Irish identity protected'?

And what is the problem protecting that identity if we are going to protect the British, Polish, Ukrainian ones as well?

Why do you see it as a problem?

In a truly equal society, all identities are 'protected'.

For what it's worth:

First, notable about the NI identity is that it's not - as you might at first expect - matched with a political opinion which favours NI independence. (Advocacy of NI independence has always been a pretty fringe position, but rightly or wrongly I associate it with loyalists who have grown to distrust the British government, and who think that an independent NI could be more British than the British themselves. Thus, it's largely a political position adopted by people who consider themselves unionists/British.)

What NI identity does seem to be linked to, at least in the 2015 paper, is greater support for devolution. Invited to express a preference between direct rule from Westminster, rule by the Assembly, or a united Ireland:

• 75% of Protestants who identify as NI preferred the Assembly (Protestants who identify as British: 60%)
    • 70% of Catholics who identify as NI preferred the Assembly (Catholics who identify as Irish: 36%)

My suggested explanation for this is that the alternatives of direct rule and united Ireland were seen as polarised, while rule by the Assembly institutionally reflects and involves both communities, so it had a particular attraction for NI-identifying people. This would tie in with my belief that the NI identity is based on a reject of polarisation.

Similarly, when invited to identify as unionist, nationalist or neither:

• 47% of Protestants who identify as NI said they were neither unionist nor nationalist (Protestants who identify as British: 31%)
    • 64% of Catholics who identify as said they were neither unionist nor nationalist (Catholic who identified as Irish: 30%)

Pretty much agree with this, which is why I have been suggesting to those of a nationalist persuasion that a federal island with greater devolution for Northern Ireland than currently is the solution to attract this group. If nationalists don't pivot towards this, further devolution within the UK could preserve the status quo by tying in this group.

Right now we've got less devolution within the UK than in 2015 because of the antics of the DUP. If your take is correct then, not for the first time, the DUP are doing the nationalists' work for them.

When Ireland is united, grateful republicans will raise a monument to the men and women of the DUP who worked so tirelessly to bring it about.

Blackadder level of cunning plan there in fairness.

'They are not a homogeneous group but I'll get them to be one'.

You need to look back at @Peregrinus post. He clearly identified "greater support for devolution" as being linked with the Northern Irish identity.

My post builds on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the logical assumption is neither side trusts the police force that is meant to protect them

That only rings true in a federal solution.

However, I do think that there is significant first mover advantage in either mainstream republicanism or unionism proposing new greater devolution arrangements. For someone like the Alliance Party to propose stronger East-West and North-South relations balanced by changes to the D'Hondt set-up, placing itself as the watchdog to ensure that neither of the two mainstream sectarian parties run away with themselves would be a bold but possible rewarding step.

And that puts huge responsibility on the political leaders to show support for the police force. Sinn Fein showed this week that they are on the side of those who have shot 84 children since the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

no, it puts responsibility on the policing force to be a more acceptable force. Dont even comment on the PSNI - you have very little experience of them

• Advertisement

That is a cop-out. The political leaders are responsible for the running of the police force. Perhaps Sinn Fein's rep should stand down?

And where does it say that is linked to their position on the constitutional issue?

Under the current arrangement they favour more devolution, that is all you can extrapolate from that. I think all identities would currently.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agreed , It can be a very useful tool when used appropriately , however it should also be pointed out that ChatGPT only has access to data from before September 2021 so any questions about "current events" or "current opinion" will only reflect information available from prior to that date so it's really not that useful as a tool to gauge current opinions.

It does not have access to real time data at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Can't remember which poll exactly but one did report that support for a UI is only at 75% among catholics while among protestants support for the union is in the 90% range.

The difference given the approx equal size of the cohorts suggests the NI identity is more of a concern for pro unity parties.

Only speculation but similar assumptions being used by the likes of O'Leary recently with his 2031 claim. All catholics teenagers will vote unity once 18 etc.

Only direct measures are the LucidTalk et al polls where people are asked would they vote for it tomorrow. If any of these assumptions are true then we'll see a trend in that direction.

I think the, 'would you vote for it tomorrow' question is just as weak an assumption to project off as the (absolutely ridiculous) assumption that all Catholic teenagers would vote for Unification.

I don't think there's any doubt on where I stand on the political spectrum, but if asked the question, 'would you vote for Unification tomorrow', my honest answer would be, 'No, are you mental? How can I vote for something without any sort of plan for what it would look like? What do you think I am, one of those Brexit nutters?!'

Same view here.

What we should be talking about is the Plan For a UI and how close to that we are.

That will be the gamechanger IMO.

I was surprised at Arins and O'Leary to go that route. While i don't know anything about O'Leary he does seem to be biased towards unity. It seems to cloud his judgement.

With regards to the "would you vote for a UI in the morning" question. It still remains the only direct measure of support. We just need one of the parties to be brave enough to produce a plan and promote it and then it will be a more reliable measure of support.

Also maybe at the next elections, SF should follow the lead of the SNP and claim them as de facto border polls? Force the issue so to speak if they truly believe the support is there.

Seems a better option that the current one of ignoring unity to hoover up the SDLP and NI identity vote. Not sure how that helps at all.

Absolute harebrained nonsense that no sensible party would do here unless they deliberately want to divide.

• Advertisement

It is no more of a direct measure than the also flawed, choose-your-own-adventure 'would you vote for Unification', or the very loaded, 'would you vote for a non-specific higher amount of tax'.

They're all equally flawed, that's the nature of the beast and why opinion polls should all be taken with a pinch of salt......and a particularly large bucket of salt when they're massive statistical outliers from the usual.

You know, the ones that one side or the other will always pull out when trying to make a point while ignoring the rest!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement