Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.5hr wait for an ambulance for critical incident.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You should call Live Line and get this information out there. The country needs to know how bad the situation is.

Op that is horrendous and I wish your brother a speedy recovery.

I was on a run between Sandymount and Poolbeg 2 weeks ago mid week and a girl had a fit and came off her bike and split her head and was uncouncious for a period (Irishtown nature reserve)

Emergency services was rang and a few of us took up different points to direct the ambulance and usher paremedics in at Clanna Gael, Sandymount Village, Road to the lighthouse

1.5 hours later and there was nothing absolutely nothing!!! Ended up having to get her carried into a car and brought to A&E. It just couldn't wait as there was vomiting etc.

My point is, if that's happening in the capital, what chance do the rest of the country have.

We are literally 3rd world aspects of service delivery which includes the ambulance service and healthcare delivery. I won't hear anything else. Fine Gael can spout on about budge surplus but what's the **** point when none of that translates into better services. Spoofers.

An uncle died some years back from a heart attack in a similar situation in Mayo. Ambulance took hours to arrive.

We just don't invest properly and people are dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

I had an experience with the ambulance service in the past week. From now on I'll be ringing the hospital directly to forewarn them we're on the way and high-tail it down the road myself.

No gripe whatsoever with paramedics or drivers. Our ambulance service is inadequate, overstretched.

Post edited by French Toast on

Guys there's a real problem with healthcare efficiency in this country and Robert Watt and all the other civil servant managers holding up the show need to be held accountable. It needs feet on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Amazing we can suddenly find billions under the couch and get to work finding accommodation quickly for other certain projects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I was at a incident months ago an ambulance was called it was not needed. 1 o clock in the morning eg no one was hurt or in danger or in a serious medical danger , if there's a limited no of ambulances there needs to be a system of sending ambulances out to the most urgent serious incidents

I saw an incident today a man lying on the ground beside a car sitting up talking to medics there was a fire brigade and an ambulance there it looked as if he was knocked down by a car he was sitting on the ground talking to the medics

The problem I see is in your case if they get a report a man collapsed they don't know how serious it is until a medic gets to examine the patient

people can blackout due to many reasons which can minor or due to a serious health condition eg someone forgot to talk their medication

When someone calls 999 they may not know how serious the situation is unless they are up to date with the specific health status of the person who collapsed

It can also depend on what info was reported to the emergency service when the 999 call was made

There's probably alot more 999 calls made

after 9 pm when people go out to pubs people get into fights or they drink to excess versus daytime calls to 999

Someone who lives in a rural area is likely going to be waiting longer than say someone who lives in a city closer to hospitals and emergency services

It also depends on the age of the person who blacked out eg did they have a pre existing medical condition which would make them vulnerable to serious medical issues if they were to collapse

I think in many cases the medical services are understaffed theres not enough doctors or nurses in er to deal with the no of patients they have to deal with in an average day eg if you go to er you could be waiting hours before you see a doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 13,496 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The HSE headcount is rising all the time.

Added 2,000 doctors since Dec 2019.

Thousands more nurses.

if this is whats it like in dublin i wonder whats its like in small rural towns . i many cases it may be better to go to the hospital in a car or taxi and phone er to say you are on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

90 something lady in rural area falls and cant get up , one ambo about 40 mins wait time

40s very drunk man falls outside puband hits head one ambo 90 mins wait time

18 year ld cocaine OD two ambo plus AP car about 20 min

all last night , ambulance base withing 2 km of each a call

maybe we need to look at how we use the resources we have

Ambulance service like Gardai and in some areas Fire service aren't up to their nuts or chins anymore , they are already underwater holding their breath waiting for the inevitable collapse .

If your want some one to blame look to the excessive and bloted admin and the interference by upper political management who have no experience in what is actually required to run these services

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭banie01

In a small update here, on my brother's condition 1st of all. He is still on a ventilator and in ICU. He is not sedated but is still very much in a serious condition. Much of the time he is still comatose but he is having longer bouts of consciousness, up to a few minutes at a time of responsiveness. Be that hand squeezes or eye contact.

We played him messages today from his nieces and nephews and the strength and determination he showed in letting us know he could hear them and that he knew, has been the brightest moment my family has had since this kicked off.

There is a long, long road ahead of him with some hard days still to come. Knowing that he is still there, that he knows we are all with him too, has really brought a sense of hope back to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

I'll get shot down for this probably but sure here goes..

I was in St Vincent's ER a few months ago for a kidney stone..bloody worst pain ever..the amount of ambulances that came in with elderly,mostly ladies, strapped into a stretcher yapping and chatting away to the paramedics was beyond belief. I mean the "patients"looked genuinely thrilled to be the center of attention and have someone to talk with..not one looked or sounded like they needed to be carried around in an ambulance..it was nearly like a social outing for them.

Yes there are plenty of elderly emergencies but not one of these warranted an ambulance as far as I could see!

The 2nd update which I forgot to add.

The ambulance left my brother's residence and headed towards CUH, with no blue lights on. One of our other brother's was behind that ambulance driving in to CUH when near Mallow, the ambulance pulled over, stopped and met with a 2nd ambulance. EMTs were conversing on the roadside as my brother passed. Shortly afterwards the ambulance resumed its journey with blue lights on.

I do know that on occasion a 2nd ambulance attends an incident to offer assistance and for various other reasons.

I am a bit stumped as to why the Ambulance that arrived so late,managed to meet with a 2nd ambulance at all and will be trying to ascertain what the stop was for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Probably to meet an advanced paramedic in the other one. Some medication can only be administered by an AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I'm not sure if this has been raised here yet - I am in and out of hospital regularly. One thing I have observed is Paramedics having to wait with people they bring in, sometimes for hours, until the A&E people take over. This practice in my mind is insanity. I appreciate there is a duty of care to the person but the hospitals should be doing their upmost to free the ambulance ASAP, which appears in my experience at least, not to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This has been a known problem for years. The paramedics have to wait until there is a bed available for the patient. It's a bed capacity issue as always.

Ambulance turnaround times exceed an hour at Cork and Kerry hospitals (irishexaminer.com)

Ambulances are waiting 52 minutes on average at hospitals across Ireland before being able to declare themselves ready to accept another call, an increase of almost 10 minutes on the previous year.

Ambulance turnaround times involve the amount of time from the ambulance arrival time to when the crew declares the readiness of the ambulance to accept another call.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

We get the doctors and nurses who don't make the grade in Australia UAE etc. thousands more doctors and nurses but A&E times are just as long, standard of care is garbage, and we've still 10-12 ambulances for a city of 2 million people, what does that tell you.

Post edited by banie01 on

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

When you ring 999 for an ambulance, do they ask for your eircode? How do they get directions to your house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

One of the problems clogging up the ambulance and health system overall is the sheer amount of time spent dealing with strung out winos and drugged out zombies. I see it in Cork all the time. Ambulances gathering up the same sh!tbags in the same place in the same states year in year out.

I am sorry if people don't like this opinion, but I think the likes of street winos should be de-prioritised and attended to only if there is spare capacity. Most of them are lost causes anyway.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

How is it then that service delivery just seems to get worse and worse.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

That is a very good question.

We overspend on healthcare, yet we have longer waiting list and times than other countries.

Part of the reasons are as follows:

(1) Prices are too high: GP / doctors /pharma - we pay much more for each item compared to other countries, so we get less quantity for any given expenditure. Good example is COVID vaccine

(2) too many hosps: 50-54 is too many for a country of 5m

(3) duplication and waste: when the eight Health Boards merged into HSE in 2005, Bertie Ahern did a deal with unions: no jobs lost. So there is massive duplication Example is 62 payroll offices in HSE at one stage.

Another example: the head of HR said: I have 2,000 staff, I need 800

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Beefcake82

Sorry to hear about your brother. I had similar experience back in Nov, had a heart attack 1pm at home taking in shopping. ended up on the ground in hallway, wife called 999, took 20 mins for a first responder to arrive, a further hour for an ambulance to arrive. All the ecg that were done on me in the hall didn't show signs of heart attack, atypical view that indicated influenza, medics thought covid related. Got to hospital in drogheda around 3pm, wasnt seen by a doctor till midnight, was getting annoyed and going to head home. Head nurse on duty indicated i should wait, she counldnt say why but something in her face made me wait. Blood test revealed i had a bad heart attack, no covid and rolled up to coronary care right after.

The first responder and ambulance were late due to shortages from covid illness with first responders being out of work and for the ambulance crew was due to being held up in a&e, massive queue due to shutting down of Navan a&e. As for hospital, ususal story of overworked, understaffed. Im very greatful for the care i did get from all involved, i dont blame the medics/hospital staff at all, however the services are woefully mismanaged,too many pencil pushers and not enough investment in training, staff wages etc. The government and HSE management are absolutely useless, anything more id like to say about them would probably result in a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How did medical doctors or trade unions cause ambulance services to be overstretched and under resourced?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

What a horrible experience. Ten minutes already feels like an hour when you’re under such stress.

I don’t know if it’s been said that ambulances must wait with a patient outside the hospital if there’s no capacity in A&E. I’ve heard stories of ambulances sitting, waiting, for hours. So under-supply in hospitals leads to an under-supply of ambulances.

As with all these stories, I see someone is in quickly to say that paramedics do sterling work. Clap for Our Carers. That is no doubt true but it’s also true that in any organisation there are staff who don’t work as hard as others and who are resistant to change. Hospital workers do sterling work, too, but they are also one of the principal impediments to reforms that are in the interests of everybody.

How far could you see, to be able to diagnose their conditions as they wheeled the stretcher past you? Maybe we should save time with all those expensive diagnostics and consultant reviews, and just wheel the stretchers past you so you can tell us which cases are serious?

Not enough consultant decision-makers at weekends, therefore ED clogged up, therefore ambulances waiting outside ED for an hour waiting to unload.

Consultants devoting more time to private work, as that is the incentives they face.

Patients in ED who should not be there.

And so so, and so on, nothing ever changes......................

In a little update that I originally posted yesterday. That double posted when edited and a bad taste gif made me reassess leaving the post up. What is funny to my Brother, me and our siblings? Would not be similarly received by others who find themselves in a similar situation.

On to the update. My Brother was taken of the ventilator and extubated yesterday. He is conscious, he is responsive and reactive.

He is still very weak/paralysed on his right side and after being intubated for a week, his larynx and mouth are still quite swollen, leaving him struggling to form words. That said? He was already looking for his phone.

He has a long and tough road ahead of him in his recovery. It is one we will do our utmost to support him in.

The effort of the A+E team and of the entire ICU, Neurology, Stroke and Kidney teams in CUH have done wonderful work in stabilizing him and helping begin his recovery.

Lots done and more to do.

• Advertisement

Consultants don't decide how many consultant decision makers are present at weekends. They don't do the rosters. Are you expecting them to do voluntary work?

Do you have any information that consultants are not doing their contracted hours within the public service?

And where do the trade unions come into this?

Advertisement