Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

That article is ludicrous on its face - just lol if you buy into that kind of economist-brained supposition, that reasons backwards to a desired conclusion via flimsy assumptions that don't withstand a moment's scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Funny that he mentions vested interests. Him working for BNP Paribas Real Estate makes him fully independent of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Villa05

Double post..

Post edited by Villa05 on

Exactly because we reverted to homes being used for hotels, hotels being used for homes.

Homes being used as a deposit account substitute, home left idle for fair deal scheme, cumbersome probate process etc

Homes left idle for 2 years to get around rent controls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

It rather reminds me of the wild kind of articles that used to come up back after the crash of '08. One of my favourites was the suggestion that the state could achieve full employment through unpaid internships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Exactly - the author makes a total strawman argument and then proceeds to attempt to dismantle it.

The entire premise of that piece is absurd

The case that Ireland’s housing market is undersupplied now rests entirely on claims that measured housing output falls short of long-term housing demand forecasts. This is flimsy evidence because such forecasts are entirely notional, relying as they must on assumptions about things that are inherently hard to predict. 

Eh? Volume of trading is at record lows (a symptom of low supply) and forget about forward forecasts - past and current demand shows we have a huge pent up demand for housing we arent close to meeting. Population growth and decreasing family sizes mean we need way more houses than we did in 2012, and the rate of building since then has been very low on average.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭hometruths

How does that opinion piece reconcile with the chronic rental shortage, or the very low volume of houses for sale?

If you're looking to rent or buy today and there is no stock available, that is an indication that there is undersupply of stock currently available.

It does not necessarily mean there is an undersupply of total housing stock relative to the population size, which is what is constantly claimed, hence the calls to build 50/60/70k houses a year.

His argument is the data does not back this narrative up.

This is an absolutely wild claim, ask the author to try buy or rent a home in the next few months and see if that changes their mind on supply

See above.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Although interestingly, he goes against and challenges the typical real estate vested interest narrative of not enough supply and that prices will only go upwards. It would be interesting if you had BNP as your real estate agent and then cite this article from their Director of Research stating that prices are actually falling and lack of supply is not an issue so why pay or expect a sale at prices over the odds for any property using that logic.....?

Volume of trading is at record lows (a symptom of low supply) and forget about forward forecasts - past and current demand shows we have a huge pent up demand for housing we arent close to meeting. Population growth and decreasing family sizes mean we need way more houses than we did in 2012, and the rate of building since then has been very low on average.

There are a number of different future housing demand forecasts knocking around, ranging from something like 20k a year to 70k.

Which of these forecasts do you think is the most accurate?

Ominous

A record number of first-time buyers were approved for a mortgage in May despite property prices hitting new highs.

More than 3,000 first-time buyers were approved for a mortgage last month. That represents 64pc of all the home-loan approvals for the month.

This is the highest number of approvals for first-time buyers since the Banking and Payments Federation Ireland (BPFI) started recording data on mortgage approvals 12 years ago.

It comes after the Central Bank eased lending restrictions for first-time buyers at the start of the year, while new buyers are also availing of the State’s Help-To-Buy and First Home schemes in large numbers

Maybe Makhlouf should heed his own advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Hmm, where was that inflationary advice at the start of 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭DataDude

To try to put some positivity to this. Generally I think all would agree we want more people owning their own homes. By necessity this will need more people getting mortgages approved.

The concern of course is that more people getting approved + higher approval values will just equal higher prices? Thus far this doesn’t seem to be the case (although who knows going forward)

Just yesterday we had a report that house prices are down nominally yoy and by 7%+ in real terms year on year

So we have more FTBs getting mortgages for bigger values and yet house prices have fallen very significantly. I think this is a good news story. What are people hoping to see?

‘FTB mortgages crater as banks stop lending to young buyers’??

When they talk about approvals here, is this just AIP or drawdown?

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's AIP.

It's a fairly good statistic for measuring demand of private buyers, as AIP is obviously sought by those who intend to buy. Of course, whether or not these people actually find something in their price range is where the supply problem kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Nothing makes sense at the moment with mortgage banking here. I'm usually pretty good at working out what is going on behind the scenes but I can't put my finger on the current situation.

As somebody pointed out here before we went from one of the highest mortgage rates to one of the lowest in the EU.

Your point above about our central bank chief giving more money but telling others to tighten.

I just did an online mortgage application with AIB. With 50% LTV their variable rate is 3.15%. The deposit rate with ECB is 3.5%. They could park the money with zero risk and get a higher return.

What is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

If the median income of FTBs is 103k, by your own admission, then half of them have household income below that.

Your claim was for a household income of 130k being the achievable norm.

But by your very own figures they show substantially more than half of FTBs earn less than that.

ie, quite literally, as I said, a vast majority.

Statistics prove things far more reliable than unquantified speculation.

Just another day in the Irish housing market. So many things don't add up!

Your claim was for a household income of 130k being the achievable norm.

Er, it literally is what the average household of first time buyers earns. It's a very achievable norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

If the vast majority of households in Dublin are earning less than 130k, which they are, then its not "very achievable" by any statistical demographic metric.

Calling a household income almost 300% the median household income (47k) for the country "very achievable" is either a terrible bias or extreme naivety.

Sorry @timmyntc , I was totally wrong here.

The data is based on full mortgage approval.

What is an approval?

A mortgage approval is defined as a“firm offer” to a customer of a credit facility secured on a specific residential property.

Which basically is telling us that in May 2023 more FTBs bought a house than ever before.

• Advertisement

The median household income includes households and people who will never be able to buy a house. Part time workers, no workers, people on zero hour contracts, etc. I'm not sure what relevance you think this statistic has to this topic. It wouldn't matter if house prices were 50% of what they are today, these people would still never be in a position to buy.

What we know for certain, because the data makes it very clear, is that the average first time buyer in Dublin can buy a 450k house.

So when you said:

very few FTBs in Dublin are buying 3bed semi-ds these days at 500k a pop

The data disagrees, as it shows quite clearly that this price bracket is only a bit above what the average FTB is buying. A couple with slightly above average income will afford 500k no problem, and again, the data makes this fairly clear.

I suppose as more houses get built we should expect more FTBs to be buying - the record number of drawdowns just supports the idea that we have record demand.

Which flies in the face of articles like that BNP opinion piece posted earlier claiming that the housing shortage is only based on fictitious forward projections. It is not - this is pent up demand in action, price of 3 bed home in Dublin is 15% higher than tiger peak, and we have now hit all time high for FTB volume in a month.

Id nearly expect new build prices to keep trending up slowly now

Interesting, I thought it was AIP as there is a separate drawdown report by the same entity. Only produced quarterly I think.

Sometimes feel everyone is so negative about housing (and with good reason in many case), that they can’t see the wins when they stare us in the face. If FF/FG set out their stall 18 months ago and promised that:

• More FTBs would get approval to buy a house than ever before

• Unemployment would hit all time lows.

• We’d have some of the cheapest mortgage rates in Europe

• House prices would still fall 5-10%+ in real terms despite the above

• Housing completions would hit levels not seen since Celtic Tiger.

Theyd have been widely ridiculed, yet that is where we are today. Still a long way to go. Rental, in particular, is still a complete shambles, but these last 12-18 months have been almost surreal in terms of progress for those wanting more FTBs getting houses and cheaper prices. Yet still it seems all doom and gloom. Hopefully this current trend continues and things will be a lot better very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

I'm guessing 'persistent' means more than 2 more hikes.

Christine Lagarde has called for “persistent” interest rate rises by the European Central Bank to avoid prices staying above its target as a result of tight labour markets and a big increase in eurozone wages. The ECB president told its annual conference in Sintra, Portugal, that the eurozone had been hit by “overlapping inflationary shocks since the end of the pandemic”. By raising its benchmark interest rate from minus 0.5 per cent last year to 3.5 per cent this month, she said the ECB had “made significant progress” in addressing high inflation but it “cannot declare victory yet”.

https://www.ft.com/content/a3dda9bd-4dbd-401c-a9f3-894fe72be8f7

Are they seeking to kill off the foreign competition?

Volume of trading is at record lows (a symptom of low supply) 

If volume of trading is at record lows, whilst new build completions have been rising (albeit from a low base), surely that would suggest that it is the second hand market where the thin volume problem is most acute?

I get that every new build unit is sold on open market to Joe Public, but irrespective of who buys it and to what end it is a housing unit sale. If it is not sold to an owner occupier it will be sold to a landlord for the rental market.

Housing completions would hit levels not seen since Celtic Tiger

Nearly All of your points could equally apply to the maximum damage phase of the Celtic tiger.

Remember for ftb to purchase at current prices they have to come up with funding that equals what investment funds were able to raise paying no tax and an environment of negative interest rates and the state panic buying

Large deposits + low deposit rate = profit at the moment.

Presumably the banks think, at this point in time, there's more money to be made by keeping the deposit rate low vs increasing the mortgage rates.

I think conditions in housing market are a long way from where they were at peak Celtic Tiger. But my main point is I’m just confused as to what people want to see when they open news like today.

Mortgage approvals up - Bad News, prices will go up. Reckless lending

Mortgage approvals down - Bad News, nobody can buy a house. Rental market is terrible and I’m trapped.

The majority of the key metrics for housing are trending in the right way. Approvals up, prices down, completions up, employment levels up. If this isn’t good progress, then I don’t know what good progress is.

Sadly I think the reality is that many people want - ‘Mortgage approvals drop to zero…except for me, where the banks are happy to lend infinite funds to me…and prices drop 80% because nobody else can get approval…but builders keep building so I have lots of choice despite prices falling 80%…and then after I buy, banks start lending again and all returns to normal’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I would hazard a guess that BoMD is more the rule rather than the exception these days.

Advertisement