Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

On which subject, does anyone know what is the story with Hogan?

Is he fit? He was listed in 26 in programme for Leisnter Final but def wasnt togged out.

I cant see us winning an AI with recent forward line ups (too many average players). We would need at least one of the younger subs (Drennan or Clifford) to catch fire and at least one of the older subs (Walter or Hogan) to do likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Think Richie had a back spasm prior to the Leinster final and that's why he missed that game. He was back training last week so hopefully will be ok for Sunday week.

Think our forwards have been doing well all year and we've been putting up decent scores too, they've obviously worked on our goal threat and have scored 14 goals in our last 4 games (even though we scored none against Dublin). I think if we can get a forward line of Phelan, Donnelly, Ryan and Mossy, TJ and Cody we would be well set with Mullen being able to add in a few points from midfield with Deegan and then having Wally, Padraig, Drennan and Clifford giving us scoring options off the bench we would be well set.

If we can stop Clare's running game around the middle and hopefully Mikey doing another man marking job on Kelly we definitely have the fire power inside to do a lot of damage. If we can give the right ball into Cody and Mossy we'll score goals against this Clare full backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The_Tank

Ref the forwards discussion - We lost an all ireland with a full forward line of DJ, Henry and Charlie Carter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Charlie69

We didnt actually, Ken O' Shea started corner forward in 99.

Only time we went Carter, Carey and Shefflin as FF line in an AI, they bagged 4-9

Notwithstanding the above, I really like your posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 The Flying Donkey

Given Shane O’Donnell gave us the runaround last year, who do we see being best placed to mark him? David Blanchfield looks ideally placed to pick up David Fitzgerald. Tommy Walsh can mark Rodgers. Mikey Butler is probably in line to shadow TK. Richie Reid, Darragh Corcoran, Padraig Walsh and Buckley probably don’t have the foot speed to keep up with O’Donnell. Assuming Mikey Carey is not fit to play, there’s no obvious candidate for the job and we could be in bother trying to nullify his threat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Clare injury list from listening to Jamesie O'Connor on Off the Ball with Herity

John Conlon- concussion, would hope he'll be back

Conor Cleary- touch and go with his shoulder (you'd imagine a heavy shoulder/tackle from any KK man and he'd be in trouble)

David McInerney- a knock (you'd assume he'll make it)

Aidan McCarthy- quad injury that isn't healing as expected (unlikely)

Shane O'Donnell- rolled ankle (should be fine)

So in reality you'd be expecting A McCarthy and C Cleary to miss it. If they start they probably won't see it out. I'd say the other 3 will make it and start the question is will they all be 100%.

Our own injury list is clearing up 🤞

Adrian Mullen- stitches out and expected to play

Richie Reid- over his concussion but had a quad issue the last day should be good for the semi

Mossy Keoghan- has done both hamstrings in quick succession neither terribly bad by all accounts but leaves him very vulnerable to either one going again the next day if he plays. If he plays you'd have to start him and not waste a sub bringing him on and then having to replace him 10-15 mins later when it might go.

Mikey Carey- doesn't look like he'll be hurling again this year.

So of our 4 out I'd expect 3 to play or be ready to play with the other totally ruled out.

The injury lists are going to dominate all the talk around these All Ireland semis and what the loss and possible performance level of these returning players might be. If Clare and Kilkenny have all their players fully fit I think it's a very 50/50 game but obviously I'd shade us but only barely. If either list changes from the above, like Conlon is missing too I think it throws the game in Kilkennys favour massively. Likewise if Adrian is missing and say Conlon plays then I'd really fear for us. There will be no end of rumour and innuendo in the next two weeks and we'll only really know about 20 mins before the games who's actually starting and 15 minutes in if it was the right call to start these recovering lads. If the injuries work out as above I'd say we should do it just.

On those saying there is probably more pressure on Clare to "get revenge" for last year, I'd totally agree. It won't be much at the start but might play on them and niggle at them if things aren't going there way and Kilkenny get 4-6 ahead. The Clare defence without Cleary is not the hardest full back line to breech, I think with players like Cody, TJ, Mossy and Walter in there they could cause havoc. If Conlon and McInerney were missing too it completely guts their defence and if we lost we'd be scratching our heads and roaring on here about the uselessness of our lads and our management. If those 3 big physical men are missing from the Clare backs we have to win and win well. We'll also need to figure out David Fitzgerald, Shane O'Donnell and Tony Kelly, when they run at teams they cause havoc. If we can pressure the Clare backs into long aimless ball we'll be 80% the way to a win. It's all easy when you write it down🙄

Post edited by tbiggertycome on

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭hogans heroes

Will mikey out score kelly😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭robwen

Carey's season is over for Cats but Mullen may yet play a part

Gaelic games

MICHAEL VERNEY

DEREK LYNG will be without Mikey Carey for the rest of the inter-county season as the Kilkenny defender faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Carey, who started last year's All-Ireland SHC final defeat to Limerick, only returned to the squad in late April, having initially taken the year out to travel before being named to start in the Leinster SHC final. An 11th-hour setback meant the Young Irelands clubman was unable to take his place in the match-day squad, though, and sources close to the camp have revealed his season is now over.

Attacker Martin Keoghan also faces a race against time to feature in their All-Ireland semi-final against Clare on Sunday week after limping off early in their epic Leinster final win over Galway.

The Tullaroan forward, however, is understood to be losing his fitness race for the Banner clash.

Lyng's squad spent last weekend on a training camp in Fota Island, with talk swirling around Noreside in the aftermath that Adrian Mullen could play some part before the season's end. Mullen shattered his thumb against Wexford last month, but a miraculous return is not out of the question for the All-Star forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭KK36

Verney looks like he's banking on what he reads here by the looks of things.

• Advertisement

He’s spot on though, Mossy struggling with the hamstring not settling down as quickly as hoped. Hard to imagine he could be 100% fit even if fit enough to play some part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Village87

I think Kilkenny will find a way to get past Clare. Through sheer resilience and mental strength. Clare usually find a way to shoot themselves in the foot also.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

That team was once in a lifetime that a lot of people will never see again, our present team give everything when they put the jersey on hopefully they will get there reward.

The much maligned Galway vs Kilkenny Leinster final. Anyone else think it was a great game in the 2nd half, and that both of them will do "just enough" to beat Limerick and Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Will Drennan start instead of Ryan?

Is Ryan doing enough to hold his place?

He wins a few frees in every game but runs into a lot of dead ends and rarely gets on the scoreboard.

Waiting for him to kick on for a while now, will it happen at all?

Post edited by Conversations 3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

He is very frustrating..I keep waiting for him to click too..clare might suit him, if he got a run at that defence he might just do damage

I don't think drennan has shown enough aside from frees yet to justify starting..depends on how they are going in training too..

Mossy is another who would cause clare problems if fit..definitely goals to be got against that full back line

100% starters

TJ, Eoin Cody, John Donnelly, Tom Phelan

Depends on close calls and injuries after that.

Ryan's best game last year was against Clare so I would give him one very last last last chance. We'll need Deegan's pace at 7 against Clare I'd say but not in the final. Something like:

Eoin

Mikey - Huw - Tommy

Davy - Richie - Paddy

Adrian - Cian

John - Mossy - Tom

Billy R (or Billy D) - TJ - Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I think Billy Ryan is getting his place because of his very high work. He can get the scores some days but for me its a mixture of, lack of belief and poor decision making. Sometimes he doesn't back himself and misses opportunities to skin lads and it's usually because in other situations he skins his man and then takes too much out of it and carries it into heavy contact where he losses possession. I do think he can be thought better decision making and he could be quiet lethal if he improved that element of his game. Do they have the time to work on this with Billy not this year anyway.

B Ryan will still be more effective against Clare than B Drennan. Unless Drennan has found a new level in the last few weeks I just don't think he's 100% ready for this level yet and definitely not as a starter. I pointed out during the league Drennan's lack of work off the ball and in fairness to Ryan that's a guarantee with him, the minimum you will get is huge effort to chase and harass any back with the ball. Now Drennan did start to improve that at the end of the league but it still seemed alien too him. He might not be expected to chase defenders in Galmoy but at this level everyone has too, the prime example being TJ who at 34 is still chasing lads who have the ball.

Drennan also really struggled to win his own ball against the better teams at the latter end of the league so again that's a check in Ryan's column. Drennan is incredibly accurate from play and he is better than Ryan here and he's a brilliant finisher if he gets through on goal again beating Ryan. He's class at frees and might even be better than TJ but we have TJ who rarely misses and is a better free taker than any left in the championship.

Overall Ryan gives Kilkenny more against a top opposition than Drennan does at this stage. I think Drennan will be class in the next few years he's just not there yet. If Drennan could win his own ball against top defenders he'd be starting even without the chasing and tackling, however if you can't win most of the ball going into you, you can't do much damage without the ball. If it's a choice between these two Ryan starts, plays 45-50 mins runs himself into the ground and then replace him with Drennan when the backs are a bit more lenient, he can pop up with a score or two to drive us over the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Great post. Sums up my thoughts on both players mentioned.

I agree with all this… definitely seems to be a confidence issue with Billy (Ryan)because he has all the tools if he only had a bit more belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Hopefully it clicks for Billy i have been hoping he will turn it on all year, but now would be the perfect timing.

Deegan's Pace ??? He has been found out for pace at this level the last 4/5 years

If we are lucky enough to win on Sunday, Deegan at 7, facing either Hegarty or Mannion in AIF, both of whom have burned him badly in recent years?

Deegan is a lion-hearted player but he surely cannot man a defensive position for Kilkenny in a major championship match again, it would be a demonstration ot the old truism "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result"

His pace is fine. It wasn't pace that found him out against Hegarty.

Stephen Bennett destroyed him for pace in the 2020 AI semi final and Bennett is not the quickest of players. Exposed badly against Cork also a year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Good holy god Colm Lyon’s is the ref, I wonder what way he’ll do us this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Advertisement

Lyons is a brutal ref, don’t like Owen’s either. Standard is really poor at the moment.

Advertisement