Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Not sure why ppl are surprised about the salaries, theyve been in the public domain for years, and plenty here have been complaining about it, maybe the events of the last week magnified it.

And the ppl worried about not paying the license, i havent paid for one since 2007. Left Ireland in 2009, came back in 2014, and never got a tv. Got the threatening letters for a few weeks round 2017, emailed them saying, "piss off, i dont have a tv". Never heard from them since, nor had an inspector at the door.

EDIT: it wasnt an email, it was this form I filled out. Never had a followup to it.

https://www.tvlicence.ie/home/tv-licence-forms.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Next license fee will go the exact same way as the water charges. Not a chance people will pay en masse.

We are pretty docile in this country and let a lot of stuff go but don't like to be so blatently taken for fools.

RTE will be absolutely fucked from this and it's hard to see them recover for a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭RoTelly

They release incorrect figures and it looked like they tried to hide those figures. I don't think they did anything wrong financial, but they lied about the payments.

They could have said that they were all on 100,000 a year TBH, and they could have got away with that for a few years.

This then brings into question the amounts paid to presenters of independently produced shows and if any of them should have been on the top earners list. Claire Byrne IMO is showing this with her statement.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Lads, 10 years ago I sold the telly to some lovely lads a few doors down. Got an ex demo Mitsubishi 55" display monitor instead. Hooked a Nvidia Shield up to it. Installed the legal apps (RTE player, TV3 Player, Kodi) and some less legal ones.

That's a decade of no TV licence and €1600 saved, and the beauty is (for now) it's 100% legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Dee will not attend tomorrow due to "ill health"

Former RTÉ director general Dee Forbes will not attend the Oireachtas Media Committee hearings on the RTÉ payments scandal on Wednesday.

A spokesperson for Ms Forbes said the former media executive had informed the committee that she will not be attending "due to health reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A real disservice to people to really have mental health issues.

Just man up Dee, and say you're not coming, no need to pretend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Dee Forbes is a coward who is unable to stand over her disgraceful actions that she signed off on and is running scared of being exposed.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I think it's more than likely that she is holding off and getting more advice from her legal people. Dotting her i's and crossing her t's so to speak. Come on she has a lot of dotting and crossing to do, bless her.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

Then if she ever does get dragged in front of a committee it'll be the ol' pre-prepared statement to read out and "on legal advice, I'm precluded from making any further comments at this hearing.." 😎

It's crazy, in the UK not even Rupert Murdoch could pull this kinda ****, no bother for the likes of Forbes and John Delaney before her, though

• Registered Users Posts: 60,597 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So she is refusing to stand before the  Oireachtas due to health reasons and aslo she no longer works for RTE since she resigned.

However she is still a director of GAA GO which signed a mega deal with RTE when she was DG of RTE.

The GAA are also a funded heavily by the public so now they need to answer questions on that deal for me and was there secert payments made to get that deal done between RTE and the GAA and since she is was DG of RTE at the time and a director of GAA GO she would have had inside information that may have effected bids from other companies.

Time to defund the GAA of public money now as well I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Really bad for RTE if she doesn't show up.

Makes you wonder what she's hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,871 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Other posters have mentioned she is still a director of GAA GO, which is jointly operated by RTE and the GAA.

Is she going to resign that also?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's 100 percent a conflict of interests and I wonder was this declared at all. She could be on think ice with that one if a curious journalist decides to start digging around which inevitably they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Curious journalists are rather thin on the ground in this state , there are a few but not many, the upper echelons of Irish society is quite incestuous cosy and connected imv

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Gusser09

What I mean to say is did she personally profit from GAAGO? I don''t think so reading into the detail of the setup. As DG of RTE she was automatically appointed to the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Please don't put Niall Prenderville and Pulling in the one post.

I'm getting awful images in my head.

Not in relation to GAAGO, a decision would have been made on who should be put on the board of GAAGo RTÉ decided that the DG and Head of Sport should be RTÉ representatives on the board. IMO this is very bad governance / decision making.

DG has overall responsibility to RTÉ, not to any subsidiaries, and decision made by GAAGo should not be on there desk. She/he should only get involved where it is loss making.

Head Of Sport is involved in rights negotiations, by being on the GAAGo it may seem as though he is bidding against himself.

Really Head of Commercial and the Head of Strategy should have been put on the board, to put it at arms length from RTÉ.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 86,382 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

All payments to her should be stopped ASAP

The mental health card is used too often it hurts real suffers

I think Dee may attempt to pull a few down with her. Information and clarity is being drip fed from RTE and it will be interesting to see if all of this stops at her door. As DG it could well be appropriate to suggest well it does. But it is definitely unpalatable if others who may we'll have been involved to obtain a get out of jail free card.

She doesn't come across as someone who will take one for the team, she looks and sounds like a person who will take as many as she can with her.

She will walk away with a nice RTE pension now as well.

However Dee & Ryan may be remembered as the two people who ended RTE as a public service broadcaster a nice peice of Irish history to be remembered for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

A nice little number in fairness for all she done.. Now when it matters she throws the health card on the table.. Try being one paycheck away from the road lady and see how that effects your mental health? , she must be awful fragile entirely, how did she end up in such a responsible position at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Perhaps she didn't declare her full mental state.

She has form after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

The Like's of Netflix and BBC are going to headhunt Tubridy. His RTE salary will pale in comparison to want he has the potential to earn

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What exactly will they be headhunting him for?

A tell all exposé on how he brought down a publicly funded monopoly?

To deliver a "how not to interview/present" training course?

To reach the high cobwebs with the duster?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

The full version of the RTE Player is now up on the Sky apps I see.

What would Netflix want with him?

If the BBC really wanted him he would have jumped years ago when he was on there covering for presenters. He hasn’t been on the BBC since 2015.

More power to him if he can the BBC or an Irish for profit broadcasters to pay him the crazy money he was getting at RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,382 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

An RTÉ statement on the controversial payments to Ryan Tubridy says former DG Dee Forbes was the only RTÉ Executive Board member that had all the information to know that his publically declared earnings were wrong. It also details the involvement of other senior executives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Very convenient that the only person to know about it has resigned and is in such mental turmoil as to be unable to furnish any details! Yet again the Irish tax payers are taken for fools! When will there be consequences for states and semi states gouging money from the public, no wonder we are the theoretically rich but with public services from the third world...

Advertisement