Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,350 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Getting a bit Game of Thrones there but thats how mad things are in Russia... like something from Rome or medieval times.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Times radio: Putin is clearly severely weakened.

Times Radio: Putin is actually stronger then ever.

Nobody has a clue what is going on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Putin is known to have a vast entourage of personal staff (in February last year it's alleged he had 1,000 staff replaced).Apparently he is extremely paranoid of being assassinated, so I would suspect he has personal cooks and multiple tasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Airport was cirtical to Russian success however. If they secured the airport they would have landed thousands of highly trained troops into Kyiv.

Luckily brave Ukranian defence and ability to shoot down incoming helicopters and Russian transports, then they blew up the runway, preventing Russian re-enforcements probably helped save Kyiv.

Think the Russians held it for around a month, but never able to use the airstrip, just as a forward base.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

One of the tasters could be a magician and ‘slip something in ‘ after having tasted ???????????

Very possible if Flavahans Jumbo flakes are used to make it - otherwise they would be spotted !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭rogber

My point exactly. It's just prediction bingo at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

He is clearly diminished in his authority and a weakened dictator. That was a serious and direct challenge to his monopoly of violence in Russia - by far the most serious of his time in power - and, instead of crushing it mercilessly he has effectively let the perpetrators off the hook. That sends a clear message and that message is 'I am weak'.

I agree that no-one knows how it plays out but, for the first time, Putin looks vulnerable. It was very noticeable on Saturday how few Russian figures popped up in the media to support the regime. They all kept their heads down and waited to see how it played out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

If nothing else it seems like Russia have lost their best troops in the Wagner mercenaries. Who knows what went on behind the scenes but overall that is a win for Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Russian spin machine is pushing that as one of its narratives through bot farms as some damage control after they(and their bots) hadn't a script prepared as it was happening. A near sure sign it wasn't planned or imagined. There was no scheme IMHO.

Think about it; why would they want to scheme up a coup that makes putin look bad to the world and most of all and most important to him, his subjects? A scheme that had people either passive or openly cheering the coup leader in the streets of Rostov? A scheme where Prig, once a very close "friend" in his innermost circle went from Russian patriot, to Russian traitor, to Russian exile in under 24 hours?

When putin could just have sent his loyal general to Belarus after the "triumph" of Bakhmut.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It must have been well over a year ago that Lukashenko was reported as having asked Putin if Belarus could have its nukes back, the ones that were transferred to Russia under the same circumstances as the Ukrainian nukes years ago.

I agree with this - there was clearly no co-ordinated scheme here. It was a badly planned, and apparently quite reactive, act of defiance where the instigator didn't really have any clear objectives.

It was cockeyed and chaotic on the part of both the mutineers and the dictatorship. Almost comedic.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

Normally I just throw a few blueberries in myself😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

It opened up a very fast route to flood Kiev with soldiers and equipment, and to take complete control of the Capital. An enormous not only psychological, but also military blow to the Ukrainians. ( or any Country, to lose their Capitol ) And had Putins two pronged approach worked, ( Attack by air and road) it would have been a very big and possibly fatal blow, to Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Agreed. Whether it's one thug in charge, or another, nothing really changes for Ukraine.

At no stage during this coup was there even a debate about ending the war. The argument was all about how to kill Ukrainians most efficiently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Russian aircraft on its way to Washington. I wonder who's on it?

https://fr24.com/RSD898/30e449fe

And Putin knows his environment 100% inside out too, its how he has survived. There are layer upon layer of intermediaries' between him and any source of "Contamination", be that food or Covid. The Cooks who prepare his food will also have to eat it before it gets to Putin. He has a special detail who look after all his toilet requirements, even to transferring the "by-products" back to the Kremlin for disposal, lest any foreign power take some samples, have them analyzed, and gain an insight into his state of health. A wee bit paranoid is our Vladimir.

I stumbled across a graphic mine video I wish I hadn't seen

I assume it's this one here. Commented out because it's very graphic, nfsw:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineRussiaReport/comments/14jl6n9/ua_pov_video_about_how_the_47th_specialized/

It's absolutely brutal. Ukrainian forces have seemingly walked into a minefield, there's injured everywhere and now they're trying to recover the injured into a personel carrier. But they keep standing on more mines. 9:15 is the most horrible footage I have seen in a long time, and the steadiness and quality of the footage makes it all the more upsetting. I strongly caution against watching it.

If this is representative of the counter-offensive, you can understand why they are making such little progress. Their casualties the last couple of weeks must be astronomical. I hate to say it but Russia have been given way too much time to create minefields and fortifications.

Or maybe it was as Progozhin is now claiming, that after countless appeals to Shoigu and Gerasimov, and reporting them to Putin and getting no response, he decided take matters a stage further and personally take out his two arch enemy's himself. Hence the military convoy. But Putin was not taking any chances, and promptly bailed out, leaving an awful lot of fence sitters waiting to see which side would take the upper hand. And so Prigozhin go to within 200 klms of Moscow, easily overcoming any opposition ( seemed like most actually supported him en-route) and there was reports that after he shot down several Russian aircraft, the Pilots refused to attack him again. Seems like they were hedging their bets too. Had he taken the Kremlin, would that have been enough to collapse Putin? Well, we wont ever know now. (unfortunately) But one way or another Putin feared that it would, hence his inaction or rather panic in the first crucial hours. Another Leader would have destroyed Prigozhin's convoy the minute it left Rostov for Moscow, or maybe even after it had crossed over the border back into Russia. Putin could not at that point depend on his own military, and that's how it made such progress. And then for reasons we are still unsure about, Prigozhin did his by now famous U turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭combat14

wagner now apparently handing their heavy weapons over to russian ministry of defence..

only a matter of time before pergohzin is bumped off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭roosterman71

FSB have closed the investigation into the mutiny

So either it's all cool and deals were made, or Wagner and co have been found guilty and the hunt is on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

If Ukraine military command had apparently spent months organising a counter offensive, knowing that A) Russians have no problem whatsoever using anti-personnel mines (and these are easily deployed in great number) and B) Ukraine doesn't have Russia's numbers advantage, then they're hardly going to be ordering forces blindly through these regions. Obviously, defences like mines are going to slow down the counter-offensive, but that's not only because soldiers and vehicles will get blown up by them, but also because AFU forces have to try and carefully pick their way through these regions by demining and otherwise attempting to find routes that aren't so heavily mined. They're not going to be pulling a Wagner on it.

Obviously, Russia are scared to death of what Ukraine could do if they did manage to breach Russian lines with the firepower they've been given in tow, so this is why we're seeing Russia put all of its stock in defence. It's the last conventional card that they have to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,350 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And remember this is just the tip of the iceberg that the UN was about to document.

People following the thread for some time will remember the denials on this thread of Russian executions and sexual abuse of civilians.

Russia has summarily executed 77 civilians being held in arbitrary detention during its war in Ukraine, according to a United Nations report released this morning. Since Russia began its invasion in February last year, the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine has documented 864 individual cases of arbitrary detention by Russia, many of which also amounted to enforced disappearances...

"Russian armed forces, law enforcement and penitentiary authorities engaged in widespread torture and ill-treatment of civilian detainees," said Ms Bogner. Most of those we interviewed said they had been tortured and ill-treated, and in some cases subjected to sexual violence," which included rape. Torture was used to force victims to confess to helping Ukrainian armed forces, compel them to cooperate with the occupying authorities, or intimidate those with pro-Ukrainian views."

https://www.rte.ie/news/ukraine/2023/0627/1391346-ukraine-russia/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Yes, they're are positive examples of Serbian activities' out there for sure, especially in the field of sports etc. But also many like the BBC one's you mention. Just bring the Serbs up in any casual conversation over a few beers or any other circumstances, and see the reaction's you will get.

I shared a house with a demining team in Libya, ( amongst other places) and occasionally they brought their work home with them. A new or unusual type of trigger etc. They also took pictures of the destruction of their daily "haul", usually a massive explosion. I've been in minefields myself, ( not on purpose, I assure you!! ) but didn't know it until I getting out the far side , which was clearly marked "MINES" , but no such signage was on the entry side. ( mainly because it was on the "Other" side. I've recovered several vehicles ( and injured / dead) from mine incidents, and only for the Guardian Angel on my shoulder, I'd have been long gone by now myself. Like the incident where the mine was remotely triggered a fraction of a second too soon, and blew just as the vehicle approached it and not when it was directly over head. Or where the explosive had been placed in a dried up river bed, and lightly covered over. Fortunately, it had rained the night before and the main charge failed to go off, and the muted explosion only covered the underside of the vehicle is a fine white powder. But 20' away, there was another on, and this one worked 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

How are minefields effectively cleared, what’s the strategy there that armies use (i.e. what equipment is used and how is it done?). Apologies if it’s a stupid question but is there some equipment like a metal detector that can pick them up perhaps?

I’d imagine whatever is done it’s still a difficult and extremely dangerous job to do. Not only the obvious risk of setting one off but no doubt the enemy also treats the minefield as a kill zone knowing the opposition will get bogged down, panic and then they can be picked off from range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭rogber

He hasn't let them off the hook. The organisation has effectively been disbanded, is handing over its heavy weapons and its leader exiled to Belarus. Who knows, he might be bumped off in two weeks.

So yes, Putin was humiliated and looked weak is one valid interpretation. Another is that the only organisation with the military means to threaten his grip on power has been swiftly rendered toothless. I mean, there's no sign of a democratic, peace-proposing Wagner substitute ready to seize the moment.

Like I say, no one has a clue. Putin might be vulnerable now, or he might still be there in 5 years.

Clearing minefields in active combat zones is extremely difficult, because they can be coming under attack from artillery, helicopter gunships etc. You can't walk around with a metal detector in these circumstances.

There are mine-clearance vehicles, which can be a tank or other heavy vehicle with a roller attachment (or flail etc) on the front. They drive over minefields and try to set off mines with the roller.

There are mine-clearing line charges - they shoot a rocket which drags an explosive cable behind it. So the cable lands on the ground in a straight line, then it blows and (hopefully) takes out mines along it's length.

• Advertisement

They're alive and not under arrest. In a dictatorship built on fear and coercion, where the State maintains a monopoly on violence that is the very definition of being 'off the hook'.

In a post war situation, with all the time in the world, and no restrictions whatsoever, and the best equipment available, there are mine fields existing that that will never be cleared completely. Twenty, 30, 40+ years after they were laid, they still remain as deadly as on the first day. Mines laid in Tobruk during the 2nd world war, are still killing people today. The best case scenario is that with newer technology, better methods are being designed to locate and neutralize them. Even so, 50+ years into the future, there will still be mines maiming and killing people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And characteristic of the haphazard critical video messages he’d been coming out with. But Prigozhin didn’t get to where he was with his businesses inc Wagner without both pull and smarts. So surely there was element of thought and strategy in his words and actions? What seems to be the result is exactly what he said he was railing against and he appears a destroyed man. So maybe what appears to be the case is all smoke & mirrors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Caquas

Hostomel airport was a primary target for the Russians who planned to fly troops and heavy equipment in there, just 20km north of the city centre. Hostomel was home to the world's largest transport plane so its runway was certainly capable of handling large aircraft. If the Russians had held the airport (and cleared its perimeter of Ukrainian forces) the traffic jam of tanks on the roads north of Kyiv would not have prevented the Russians bringing in the troops and equipment to take Kyiv or, at the very least, to clear Ukrainian forces from the roads north of Kyiv and thereby freeing up the northern route for the tanks.

So the Ukrainians snatched victory from the jaws of defeat but my point remains: the utter confusion in the West about developments in Russia indicates that the US do not have a top-level source in the Russian MoD or within Putin's inner circle. Obviously, western media were even more in the dark.

Putin sees Western conspiracies everywhere, even in Prigozhin's astonishing mutiny, but the reality is the Western powers were baffled bystanders last weekend. Putin's paranoia will reach new levels now that he knows the real threat comes from his own inner circle.

If China and the Central Asians begin to pull back from Putin, that might be the signal for a palace coup. The Kremlin sent a Deputy FM hotfoot off to Beijing and he claimed to have got China's backing (the media largely swallowed that line) but the Chinese response was very cool, just saying it was "an internal matter" for Russia. This whole episode has humiliated Putin in the eyes of Xi Jinping who would never tolerate a bunch of mercenaries like Wagner. Watch the Central Asians who were already getting uppity with Putin and moving closer to China. That may be the next shoe to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

dont know what the outcome will be but its certainly very confusing!!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I would imagine multiple meals are prepared for Putin, all of which are tested and one of which is chosen randomly to mitigate that risk. Also, I would strongly suspect that every person who works as part of Putin's entourage is told in no uncertain terms what fate awaits them, and their family, and their extended family and friends should they betray him in any way.

I would wager, on a domestic level (and due to his high level of paranoia), and the number of people he's had killed, he is probably one of the most guarded people in the planet. Apparently, according to insiders, this accelerated in 2020 due to the pandemic (hence the long table). Reportedly he now only receives "certain" news from select inner sources, and doesn't access outside or internet information any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No way the other large military powers in the world would have given them so much time to prepare defences. No wonder Ukraine have been continually looking to upgrade their Air Force and abilities to both attack beyond these lines and bypass them. Russia knows this and threatens whatever when it’s suggested but looks like that is what will be needed to get the f***ers out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think you're massively overestimating the amount of forces that Russia could have realistically brought to bear via an isolated airport, particularly when they have never managed to achieve air superiority. They would not have been able to take Kyiv from there. Its was a terrible offensive that relied on Ukrainian collapse and was never going to get through a determined defence.

About the only "there but for the grace of God" type event was Zelensky staying in the capital as him leaving might have caused a collapse in the defence (though I think that's far from sure).

The US intelligence practically counted down to the Russian invasion.

Rumours that putin is set to announce that he and lukashenkl have been been and currently are in fact a couple. They want to make it official with a kiss that will be broadcast live from the kremlin.

This explains a lot…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Think I have read that the Soviets had an army of functionaries (a branch of KGB) for looking after needs of the Party Secretary and big cheeses (possibly down to having "grooms of the stool" to wipe backsides...only half joking) so I suppose Putin recreated (or retained/expanded?) this bubble of security, luxury + privilege for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Imagine living your life with the fear of an assassination plot lurking around every corner. Putin must have a constant hum of anxiety in his stomach that's been there for so long that he longer notices it. His whole life as Russian leader has been defined by abject paranoia and shapes every decision he makes. You could say that this mindset has been a part of Russian political life for a long time, but in Putin it is truly personified. If he wasn't such a horrible little murdering bástard, you'd almost feel sorry for him that he's probably never felt truly safe in his whole adult life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

• All the riches in the world would not be worth it. I often think the same about criminals such as the Kinahans.

No thanks, give me 9-5, attainment of comfortable wealth over time and a few pints the weekend any day over that level of paranoia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

He (Blinken) would deny having advance knowledge even if they had, as it implies they had a hand in it. With this in mind Putin will be keen to put it out that the West was behind it to get the Russian public behind him. As for the Battle of Kyiv,no doubt the Ukranians fought fiercely but they were aided by the west in terms of Intelligence and weaponry to achieve it. The Spetnatz had their reputation destroyed in that battle. You never hear of the SAS being decimated in a battle. I still think there was a deal with Prigozhin, why else have the charges been dropped against Prigozhin and an amnesty given to Wagner fighters who sign contracts with the Russian MOD. That sounds very much like a deal to me. I agree Putin has to renege on the deal or else others will be emboldened to try and unseat Putin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

To me it could suggest two things: the west don't have a top level spy in Wagner. Neither does the Russian MOD. If the west do have a top level spy in the Russian MOD,they would prefer the public perception to be they are clueless in this instance, because they will want to protect the source. Secondly to admit they knew about what was going on would be a propaganda coup for Putin. Putin is desperate to blame the west for this to get the Russian public behind him. You could well be right that there is no high ranking spy, but it would not be a shock if there was- afterall look what went on in that world during the Cold War.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I hope that all this silliness with Prigozhin isn't distracting from what's really important here. The Ukraine counter-offensive needs more help.

Things were never going to be easy but it's clear more needs to be done to crack the Russian lines of defence. People mocked the slow pace of the Wagner offensive at Bakhmut, but in reality Ukraine's is going at about the same speed. We've seen fighting for three and a half weeks with Ukraine advancing about 1km a week. You can't extrapolate that progress (cities may take long to take, resistance may weaken after Ukraine breach the first few lines), but at the current rate, Ukraine will be at Melitopol for Christmas 2024.

Surely it's time for NATO to look at providing something to break the deadlock here. Trading limbs and Bradley's for mines isn't going to cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

During WW2 the British deliberately witheld intelligence about upcoming attacks from some of their own ships in order to cover the fact they'd cracked Enigma. I can't imagine any intelligence agency (western or otherwise) would be stupid enough to reveal a high ranking spy in the Kremlin for no other purpose than to keep the public informed. If Biden and his Chiefs of Staff knew what was going on because of a human asset, they were never going to discuss it outside of the the Situation Room. Same for any other government...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭riddles

The Russians have a challenge to retreat and the Ukrainians don’t exactly want to sacrifice any body so without air support movement forward movement is going to be hard won. After D day the feeling was the war was won and people didn’t want to take a bullet it reduced forward momentum making it more difficult to move forward that otherwise may have been the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Would it not be the case that the ‘slow start ‘ is explained as follows :-

(1) go slow at the beginning to find out what’s ahead rather than going head first/ headlong into the offensive

(2) maybe it’s strategic - to go in ‘ first gear ‘ at the beginning and suddenly to go inti ‘third/ fourth gear and catch the Russians flatfooted

(3) the pace is bound to be slow at the beginning because that’s where the most difficult ‘stumbling blocks’ are re decagons teeth, trenches, mines, etc, but once these have been ‘ neutralised the pace of advance should significantly increase.

In summary, I expect the UKr army has all this worked out re applying different arnaments , attack strategies at the appropriate times

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement