Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Mr Musk has previously called for psychedelics and ketamine to be promoted as an alternative to prescribed antidepressants..."

Of course he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I have ADHD, and many people I talk to online find great relief from microdosing LSD. I’ve never tried it, but there has been a lot of positivity toward their use for depression and ADHD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd imagine there's a very good, clinical reason why psychedelics aren't generally prescribed to people who would already have a more delicate, exacting mental balance. I'm sure for those it worked it has shown value - my immediate wondering would be the experience for those it didn't. It might even have the opposite end-result; but unless Musk has some clinical trials and evidence he should STFU and stop opining on everything.

Post edited by pixelburp on

It’s quite split the scientific community, tbf. It’s not a completely half baked theory (for once)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Covid, space travel, terra forming Mars, solar energy, hyper loops, self driving cars, Russian foreign policy, Chinese foreign policy, vaccines, mental health.

Is there anything he can’t advise us on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭briany

She must have heard about Zuck's unblockable shtoyle.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Naming your kids?

Actually, parenting in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That might be a bit much to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Apple just put up the full first episode of Silo on Twitter, ahead of the series finale. Just testing the waters, I'd say

There's been a stigma against these for decades but there in an awful lot of research being done these days with promising results. You can't let your hatred of one man determine your entire stance on a massive topic. Like really, you'd have to be living in a cave on the moon to have not heard about all of these trials in the last few years.

I think it's very positive that famous people can #1 talk about depression and #2 talk about demonised drugs like ecstasy or LSD etc. so that the public gets used to them and understands they can have medical applications. You'd prefer for this to not happen for some reason.

That's not fair and an antagonistic read on my opinion: I don't want people not to have access to good treatments for mental health issues so please don't try that tactic. I'm acutely aware, as would many people, of both what it is to have mental-health problems - or the dangers of not having the right access to help. Thankfully that's a changing tide, especially in Ireland though not so much America. I don't "prefer" people not to have options; Jesus.

But I think until there's a reliable consensus about psychedelics as a treatment for mental issue, celebrity endorsement isn't helpful; doesn't matter if it's Elon Musk or Tom Hanks, as a broad opinion it's not healthy to have celebrities deploying their opinion en masse like they're an authority. It's not so cute when, say, it's spreading CoVid disinformation and scepticism.

If you say there is research, then cool, I'd be interested to see it & if it's akin to cannabis becoming an accepted treatment for pain management ... but until there there is that sense of confidence, it's irresponsible for celebrities to use their public platform to promote these things. Until we know for certain it's a net positive, we shouldn't just talk it up like it's a panacea. By all means promote the conversation, but public endorsement should be careful.

Right, so you think what I did was unfair, but then you drag Covid disinformation into it and try to equate the two.

He's allowed to have an opinion on this stuff, and he told friends, not us, that he take ketamine for depression. His other public posts are pretty benign and are nothing particularly new with him saying people should be open mind towards psychedelics as treatment. This isn't a vaccination campaign against a global pandemic. Wellbutrin is regarded as dangerous when it comes to suicides and the people who mocked him for his comments only served to make the drug appear harmless.

I simply do not believe that your opinion on this is rooted in anything other than your dislike for the man since you ended that post with "he should STFU and stop opining on everything.". Had he said that illegal drugs are bad and people should not go near psychedelics and should instead do what he does and use prescription drugs for depression, you'd be saying he should keep his right wing opinions to himself.

You don't need to criticise someone for every single thing they do. When you criticise everything, you criticise nothing. You are literally arguing that the man should not have an opinion on his own depression.

Well yes I say you're being unfair because you're now you're just having a go, and trying to just decide I'm blinded by some hatred of Musk - rather than interrogating my view that until there's a safe medical consensus that's equivalent to that of cannabis, I think it's premature to promote the use of psychedelics. It's not a particularly radical view that maybe caution should be applied; It's as simple as that, and trying to frame me as an irrational lunatic is ... yes, unfair at best.

Flaneur had already corrected my initial, premature dismissal in a far more conversational tone; providing some context on the subject - without resorting to weird personal digs and putting words in my mouth. Not worth continuing to talk if you're just going to fight some strawman version of me. Sure we could all do that.

Anyone else today find they can't open Tweets without logging in anymore? Embedding still seems to work, just tested here as I typed, but if you click through you're bumped back to the homepage.

I wonder if that's a bug or intentional, cos the latter's ... an interesting choice. Other social media will still let you view profiles and posts, albeit with some interactions curtailed (often obvious ones such as "liking" etc), but totally preventing the tweets visibility? I guess they're trying to force more sign-ups and logins.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeah. Tried opening a couple of feeds that I look at on a semi regular basis. When I close the log in window it brings me to the base page where I'm told I have to sign up or log in. Whereas before I could just read the thread.

I'm not a Twatter member, and have no interest in signing up to be either.

But, mmmmmm, if that's intentional it's just, yet another, bizarre move in a long series of random bizarre moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's definitely intentional. Have seen others point it out on Twitter today.

Nobody is going to sign up based on this. If they haven't signed up before, they're not going to now. All people are going to do is screenshot tweets and post them as images instead of posting a link to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,634 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Or just replace "twitter.com" with "nitter.it" in the url.

And voila instant work around.

Not sure the explanation makes a tonne of sense, especially given every sibling in social media is capable of letting unauthorised users view content; so why not Twitter?

"Pillaged" is a weirdly loaded word, and maybe reading between the lines this is another offshoot of the reduced staffing and knowledge base; nobody's around to help throttle or tackle the load caused by unauth'ed access so the "emergency" response is to block all access to people like me, while Devs try to fashion a plaster fix. At least it's temporary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

how does this work?

any work around for this block?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Panrich

cant seem to get it to work myself either, ah im sure some clever fcuker will figure it out soon....

This may go to prove to me that I don't actually need twitter at all any more. I hadn't logged in since the takeover, but occasionally clicked on a twitter link if I couldn't see the full article.

Rather strange wager that Musk is making, hoping people will be so desperate to see articles they'll create accounts.

never created an account myself, boards is the only social media i have ever really done, couldnt be bothered with the rest, but always found twitter really good to get access to peoples work i really like, but you can see since the take over, theyve been trying to block viewers only, they ll probably lift these measures soon, when they achieve a certain number of new subs, and/or someone figures out a work around....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

I was similar. I did initially keep using it after the take over but left soon after when the quality of my feed dropped drastically. This just provided the motivation to close the account entirely. It just seems pointless at this stage, twitter got a lot of clicks through those stories, now people won't use them as much and twitter will just narrow down to its core user base a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I noticed I was getting errors Searching for accounts about an hour ago. Now my timeline won't load.

Every day it gets worse and worse.

Edit: Seeing a message saying my account is "rate limited please wait a moment".

I have a second account that seems to be working fine.

The Cleverest Man Ever doesn’t appear to be very good at running a pretty basic social media website.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its a fascinating case study in how to absolutely **** something up. Also a good case study for a CEO who doesn't know what his job is, which is not to get involved in lower level stuff he doesn't remotely understand.

Advertisement