Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

He was clearly responding to another poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Walsh was replaced that day in Croker, as was Sean Kelly in Carrick, as soon as was practicable. Comer was replaced at ht last Sunday, as he reported in the dressing room that his hamstring was tightening up. Kelly, he just had to play, such is his influence.

If you don't watch all that many Galway games then how can you claim what Joyce's selection policy is with injured players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

McBrien's goal was well taken and a great strong run for the 1-2. Kelly and Daly were caught here. Not sure if Kelly injury was a reason.

That goal is up there for goal of the year alongside McLaughlin's aganst Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I was at the match and have not watched it back yet. Eoghan McLaughlin seemed to score a cracker of a goal, but it was ruled out. I couldn't see it properly - it was down the far side from us. Was it ruled out for over-carrying?

Got sorted for ticket yesterday. But I just see that none available on ticketmaster now. I'm sure there will be a big crowd there, but I presume it is ticketmaster playing little tricks again, to build hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Was off yesterday so hoovered up a lot of podcasts. The Stephen O’Meara one is very good on tactics, put a lot of the good stuff down to Kevin McL, his ability to find pockets of space and draw in extra players.

Some serious balls shown by the management team, the bit the bullet on Loftus, not an easy thing to do when hes played all but one game this year at 6. The also dropped a massive name in Ruane, to me it looked like he was fairly petulant on the sideline as a result, McHale was down at one stage coaxing him. He didn’t exactly make a strong case for inclusion when he came on. Having said that I’m not sure Croke park or the dubs will suit Kevin McL or Jason Doc.

I was happy enough at half time, thought we were very patient with the ball, ran down the clock well, three awful misses kinda counteracted Galways misses. I felt we should have kicked on when three points up but watching it back you get more of a sense that Galway are a good team and we contained them to a large extend. The end of game management was brilliant, I know the crowd were going daft when we were going backwards but we were ahead, Galway had to do something. We put ourselves under pressure by Eoghan McLaughlin coughing up a turnover when he should have moved the ball. The last score we had came from 2 minutes of keep ball and then moving it when Galway got sloppy. It was brilliant to see.

Paddy Durcan would have been my MOTM, he was fantastic, the speed he went after Tierney in the first half stopped a goal, even the skill to not dive in and just put on the pressure was unreal to see. Coen, Diarmuid, Conroy, Flynn and McBrien were all excellent as well. Even though Reape got cleaned out at kickouts, and I don’t think he was helped, he didn’t lose the head, he had three go to Galway before chipping that one out to Hession on 69 minutes, great composure. Think Carney will be lucky to keep his spot, he was fairly anonymous yesterday, similar to the Louth game, I suppose you have to remember hes a novice, all these games will add to his experience but I’d be starting someone else the next day

Hard to know where the dubs are, one Div 1 opponent all year but they are still the dubs. 50-50 really, we have so many weaknesses, glaring weaknesses but I don’t think theres a team left that could have put in the 20 minutes we put in after HT on Sunday

Put the head down and barged into the galway lad. So it was either that or steps, both valid enough IMO. The lack of footballing skill in McLaughlin is astounding, how can you make it this far and be so bad at the basics. Could easily have been sent off for repeated fouling or leading the head at one stage. But he is some athlete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I got a link from my club here in Dublin which was noted as having a seperate allocation from the main sale, and there are loads there all over the ground. Lots more to be released during the week for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Darragh Maloney & Eamon Fitz thought it was overcarrying but I saw it as being blown (correctly) for barging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

"Kelly,he just had to play,such is his influence "

You're making my point for me.PJ has repeatedly played injured players,the fact that are are key players doesn't change that.Mayo would like to have played Cillian for the last 18 months but he was injured,you do understand this concept yes?

Walsh wasn't taken off as soon as possible in the Connaught final in 2021.He made an ill judged attempt to start something with O Hora and got a very bad injury out of it.This was in the first half,he was given and injection at ht and played a good bit of the 2nd half.

Maybe I watch more Galway football than you after all.

As has been mentioned this is the Mayo thread,I won't be responding to you on here again.If you like take it over to the main thread and you can embarrass yourself there instead.

Could have been either,I dont think we can have any complaints either way.I only saw the replay on the day and counted 12 steps.

Eoghan tried to dummy one way and when that didn't work he didn't seem to have a plan B,it was a nice finish though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Didn't want to go all in on him straight after the match but he nearly cost us it at times. He gave away a very soft free and ran into 3 Galway players coughing up possession at a vital stage, all in the space of a few minutes.

To his credit though, he was in the right spot to cover for Reape late on.

I wouldn't have him finishing big games, he's too likely to be a liability. His strengths are there for all to see, but they're not on the footballing side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

Kelly wasnt fit, but he was still one of their best performers

He gets himself into great positions though, do you just accept that he can't solo the ball?

The turnover towards the end put us under real pressure when we didn't need to be

I thought he was fouled for that turnover myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Didn't seem to be a foul in real time there anyway. I could see the couple of Galway fellas homing in on him, and I thought "oh fu@k". He just didn't seem to have the composure to get rid of it on time.

But I think he should start against Dublin. Need that pace up the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

How do you know odonoghue raked his cogs on the injured ankle when you could see neither persons feet? Did he rake it? Barely touch it? Miss it completely? Was it the right ankle? You have filled in all the blanks here yourself - each one suiting your own personal view.

What we can say for sure is that whatever connection was made, odonoghue wouldnt have been able to generate a whole pile of force from that movement. The only time that would do damage was when the guy on the receiving end wasnt fit to be there.

Personally, id be asking why the mgt didnt select mcdaid to play as the sweeper, with finnerty on in the forwards kicking with the wind he plays in week in week out for his club, rather than picking a lad who could be so badly affected by the lightest of touches to his ankle. It was madness on their part to pick him. The injury was always going to be tested out. I think odonoghue was just keeping him honest and letting him know that if he wanted to be grabbing hold of lads off the ball and trying to act the g*bshite, then that could be done back to him too. He let go fairly sharpish.

Re the wind, there is wind at every ground, there isnt that kind of wind in the height of summer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Could you not make a goal out of it even with your rose tinted glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Lads...after making a major boo-boo there 😭

Over in France camping with dodgy WiFi....trying to get tickets for Sunday all morning....at one stage I actually managed to get a pair as far as checkout but the app crashed.

In a state of mild panic (and with the kids hassling me to go to the pool) I went straight back into the app and lo and behold got 4 tickets in the Davin End....wasn't until I got the email that I realised they're for the fupping Saturday matches 😂

Doesn't seem to be too much of a chance of refund so if you know anyone looking for 4 tickets (2 Adult, 2 Juvenile) let me know

Ya, I had a great view of it. They didnt foul him to be fair. He was probably unlucky with the steps call in truth, you see lads get away with more steps than that. It was probably just the awkward look of it. He is very raw. He gets caught the wrong side for a lot of tackles and then fouls. The one early in the first half was a bad one as we had the guy surrounded. He has a good type of cynicism about him though that we are probably short on in general. A couple of those fouls were deliberate also and its about time we caught up on that front.

He will definitely feature against dublin.

Who picks up Ocallaghan is the one for me. Not sure who will match him up. Mcbrien maybe?

• Advertisement

Not sure he has the power to mach up with ocallaghan just yet. Might suit mannion better. It will be interesting to see how they go about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

McBrien on Con imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Have a look at it from this angle and see what do you think happened? Whether Kelly should have been there or not is entirely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tetracycline

I watched the entire incident with Kelly from the stands. When Hession came on Kelly started continuously throwing shoulders and hitting him with shoulder/elbows, and he just kept going and going at him to intimidate him, more than what you usually see some players do. Ryan came over gave him a shoulder and a kick/stamp to the ankle. As a man, Kelly got absolutely what he deserved. Obviously kicking shouldn't be allowed in the game and I would have no issues if Ryan was punished, but I see nothing morally wrong with what Ryan did. Kelly shouldn't be trying to intimidate and bully other players. Most players don't do what Kelly was up to, and those that do don't usually keep on going at the other player like Kelly was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

well MF man i think its fair to say ye got the moral victory. Hope ye go out an celebrate it. unfortunately the mayo players are in no position for celebrating as they are out again this Sunday, but fair play to galway, they can put their feet up now and enjoy themselves. we have another few days to enjoy, it might be over this weekend..

but we've dealt galway the biggest blessing they could have ever got. PJ should leave of his own volition now, and ye can actually develop talent. I would admit that there is definitely more to the galway team than they show, but it wont be PJ that brings it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hopefully Kelly makes a full and speedy recovery. He's lucky he still has the use of both legs. Thoughts and prayers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

You're actually wrong about his football skills - they are at least solid. He can solo the ball running at pace, his hand-passing off either side is solid, he's a decent kicker of the ball but obviously decides to run it more often. It's decision-making he needs to tidy up. Overall, it's obvious as day why he plays so much, he also scores quite regularly as well as having an ability to make turn-overs I would say that are second only to AOS. He has the courage of his convictions to take on players and go for scores.

On the opposite side you have players like Coen and Carney who don't make many mistakes but actually contribute so little to the team.

I’d be a fan of Eoghan and you’re right in the majority of what you say about him but the Coen and Carney thing is perhaps a little too far.

Coen is very reliable and is very strong on a number of aspects of the game. He’s very strong, a good man marker, a great fielder and a very good reader of the game. He’s not the fastest and isn’t a prolific scorer but that’s not his job. Carney perhaps has drifted out of recent games probably as teams have become more familiar with his play and how to counteract but I’d have both Coen and Carney as automatic starters in the half back and half forwards for nearly every game.

Eoghan is one I don’t think is an automatic starting player but if not a starter then certainly I’d be bringing him on so he’s always on the match day first 21 for me. He’s definitely built for Croke Park and he’s lightning quick. He’s much maligned but as always it’s the wrong decision he makes in a game that people will remember him for. E.g. going for the point at the end of the game vs Armagh in the league, and getting dispossessed near the end vs Galway on Sunday. Personally I felt he was fouled for that and also that Hurson really had it in for him on the day but I’ll admit to potentially being swayed by bias too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I taught Eoghan had a nightmare of a game last sunday ,he was turned over at least twice that led to galway scores ,he gave away soft frees .He overcarried the ball for his goal but only for him clearing off the line he repaid the faith the selectors had in keeping him on .Don't think he is good enough to start

That's bias or just mis-remembering. He was turned over once, when many of his team-mates were hiding. You didn't see him turning over Galway towards the end of the game for a crucial score? Or his other turnovers?

• Advertisement

Ah come one, Coen is very lucky to start. He's so slow and it's not like he's such a good man-maker that we can say, "oh great - he'll do a good job on Con next weekend". His fielding is not that good or he would start midfield regularly and Mayo wouldn't have such trouble with catching clean ball - in fairness to Coen he can't make himself 3 inches taller. But did you see his lack of footwork for the kick-out Reape sent him in the first half? He drops the ball and then pulls down Conroy after - I think Walsh scored the subsequent free. I think managers keep picking him out of an abundance of safety more than anything else.

Carney just doesn't impose himself on games. Maybe this will come with experience but I've seen nearly all Mayo games since he broke through and despite natural talent he doesn't affect the game much, if at all. Again, he is lucky that we don't have many options at half-forward. I won't start a Fergal Boland debate here!

People just remember what they want to remember. Look at the games more closely and you will see all the positive turnovers Eoghan has, his involvement in other players' scores. Look at his scoring rate (it's high relative to the few games he has played). Yes, he needs to be more clever in his tackling and a bit more thoughtful on front of goal but he can be the difference in Mayo beating a team like Dublin - it's highly unlikely Coen or Carney will be that difference. I think McStay and Rochford see him as an automatic starter, once fit, and especially in Croke Park.

TBF, this is Carney's first season as a starter so I think he deserves some leeway. He's probably under pressure now for a starting spot

Personally, I'd have Coen as a starter all day, no questions - not all of our backs can be all-out attack. I'd have him playing at 6. Considering he's such a bad shooter, he often pops up with an important score in big games. His fumble for that kickout was very poor, I was roaring at him at the time.

I think McLaughlin is competing with Durcan/Hession/McHugh for those "attacking" wing backs spots and that's why I don't think he starts when everyone is fit.

Maybe the reason McLaughlin gets a hard time is because some of his mistakes are so glaring e.g. the high solo early in the 2nd half (although he held on to it), the goal chance and the free in the corner where he'd have won the ball if he hadn't put his hand on the forward's back - these are all simple mistakes that should be easily corrected. As I mentioned previously, a little extra 1-1 coaching and he could be a brilliant player rather than just good

I doubt we’ll ever agree on Coen going by what you’ve written but given he’s captained Minor, Under 21 and Sigerson teams to all Ireland success (and is the only player to have done so as Captain for all 3 competitions) clearly got some thing a lot of people won’t see or credit him for.

This stat keeps being mentioned - obviously it's true and also managers must see something in him. But very few can actually point out his positive attributes and when they do it's, "solid", "reads the game well", "doesn't make mistakes", "decent man maker". That's not exactly inspiring.

Like I said, maybe if want he contributed was more tangible. Score, assists, great man-marking, turnovers - as opposed to " captained the team".

He’s not a prolific scorer and because he stays back to mind the house he won’t have that many assists either but he does the man marking and the turnovers. Not sure why that gets overlooked.

No stamp, no raking of cogs, the contact was very light. A warning shot and a reminder that if he wants to act the tough guy, people can give it back to him too. Anyone who has an issue with this would really want to recognise that kelly isnt a golden calf. A good dose of his own sh*thousery right back at him was exactly what he asked for.

Sorry, but you are miles off here.

Mclaughlin is probably the luckiest of the three. He is rash in the tackle and gets wrong side often. He is very inconsistent in front of goal yet persists with not offloading to the shooters. He is yet to learn to play to his strengths and is a very raw footballer in general. He has good traits also but he is the most likely of the three to make a daft decision. He will learn but it will take time.

Coen is a team man and very dedicated to the role. He is composed and safe in possession and fills in gaps at the back with the relish that most go up shooting at the posts with. He is a good aggressive tackler, is very mobile and makes good decisions. He is your didi hamann type player and anyone who has had a guy like that in the team knows he makes you an awful lot harder to break down. He might not excite like a mclaughlin can, but he wont cost you a fraction of the scores mclaughlin will either. He actually had a good game for the most part against galway, not sure why people are on his case.

Carney is also very composed, hugely mobile, can score, picks good passes, keeps posession well and is a great option in the air. He is well placed to hurt dublin next day out. He was under pressure against galway because they are massive in the air in that area and were killing us on the breaks - not really his fault to be fair.

But he doesn't really do the man marking. Before it was Keegan and Mullin. Next week it will be Durcan or Callinan because they have the pace over a short distance to keep up with the best forwards. John Daly is a good example of what a sitting half back should be. Also doesn't score much but is a superb kick passer that can open up defenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

As I pointed out last week, Coen's scoring record is pretty decent for a back. Not Paddy Durcan standard but he pops up with scores, especially in a lot of the big championship games. Last weekend was another example.

Coen has been one of the first names on the team sheet over three management teams now,his entire career.

He's won minor,U21 and Sigerson......as captain of all of them.

I'm confident all those men know more about football than you.

If you can't see his worth then a stranger on an internet forum isn't going to educate you.

Also for a lad that can't score he's popped up with big points in big games the last couple of years.

I will agree mf is not his position but he has only played there when we were stuck much like Donie Vaughan before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

I think you're spot on with the above - it was a statement that neither he nor his teammate were going to be bullied on his watch.

At one stage when one of the Galway backs was coming out from the back in the 2nd half, Ryan fouled him and made sure the defender felt the hits as part of the foul. I had no problem with him doing that, because he gets it back in spades when the roles are reversed. Sometimes you just take a foul to make a point, and it's great to have someone who's able to look after themselves on the pitch.

I won't be crying when the opposition does the same back (as long as it's not over the top) - it's just part of the game.

He's not that rash in the tackle but I agree he can improve - still fouling outside the scoring zone can be very useful - just look at Kevin McLoughlin, he has made a career out of it. Eoghan needs to learn how to do it as slyly as Kevin does. Of course his shooting is inconsistent, he's a wing back (Paddy Durcan is inconsistent too), but like I said he has the courage to both get himself in the position and then actually shoot. You'll miss some but he also scores lots. Didn't he carry the ball forward and offload this weekend just gone in the build-up to the crucial McBrien goal?

They're all "team men and dedicated to the role" - again intangibles. Composed and safe but doesn't take any risks which is what you have to do to win the match. Yes, he is a good aggressive tackler. He did so little v Galway and we have players on the bench like Hession who have the courage to take the ball off the keeper under pressure and then break out of defense with pace - helped us win the match. I am on his case to show how people can be so harsh on the player who tries to make something happen while rarely do the same to the guy he takes the "safe" option.

Carney can do all those things you mention but he won zero high balls in the Galway game and was largely anonymous - following on from a similar display against Cork. My opinion is he is lucky he is competing in a weak line (half forward) and not an ultra competitive one (full-forward).

What is intangible about it? He spots holes and free men and covers them before they become a problem. He organises defensively, ie recognising mismatches with opponents and fixing them - anyone who seen his role in handling peter cooke at the weekend will have seen this in action.

He is proactive when protecting his fullback line and does so intelligently. You talk about turnovers, but you dont get that his positioning has probably led to that turnover by squeezing the gap the ball can be played into. These things are not intangibles, they are just things that some people cant see - there is a difference.

Marking-wise, he matches up with a very wide range of opponents, which again is a hugely useful tool to have. But again, some people arent really aware of the importance of stuff like that. Im not trying to be smart, it is just a reality. Those types of players never get much credit from the masses but they are a huge part of the efficiency of the team, hence why so many managers pick him, or why jose mourinho and alex ferguson were vying it out for the likes of a jon obi mikel.

Carney was simply drowned out against those two teams - both of whom are huge around the middle, pack his area with bodies and pack the back also. Diarmuid oconnor was poor in those specific areas also in the galway game truth be told. Conroy maher and cooke are serious ball winners while tierney and comer are massive also. It was a big ask for anyone.

But looking at his skillset, he is a guy that could hurt Cluxton's kickouts, as he tends to go for individuals on the run. Carney has great mobility and could definitely steal a few. Who would you play instead of him out of interest?

Again, I don't profess to know more the than Horan, Rochford, or McStay. His worth is over-stated, in my humble opinion - I think that's what internet forums are for and they'd be pretty boring if we just said nothing.

Coen scored a point in 2 finals (2020 and 2021, one was a mark) plus a point against Kerry last year in the QF. He has scored 14 points in 44 championship appearances since 2016. McLaughlin has 1 goal and 7 points scored in 16 championship appearances since 2020 - plus man of the match in a Covid Connacht final of 2020.

Im not interested in my defender scoring a point when he is letting in 2 scoring chances at the other end to do it, that would be my own personal view of it. What is the net result there? -0.01? It is a team game at the end of the day. We have good scoring forwards these days, the defenders should be giving them the ball to shoot. Id be more interested in their free count, their turnover count and their attitude towards the protection of their own goals

If you're putting Coen in a team to score points you ain't that smart.

The fact that he does score the odd point in big games is a bonus.

But McLaughlin does both, his athleticism allows for it. Last week he didn't score but got forward so many times to help his forwards (team game after all) but also made a number of turnovers. Who was he marking - Heaney? who didn't score. As I said, he can tidy up on his tackling but being aggressive is important - Chris Barrett was like this at the beginning.

• Advertisement

This is my point, posters have this view of Coen that we all have to accept how limited he is from an attacking perspective (and let's not forget defensive too given you can't put him on someone really fast) and then all criticism should be tempered, but McLaughlin is not being judged by the same standards. McLaughlin does massive defensive work too, covering, hassling, and making turnovers.

Advertisement