Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I bet Forbes wishes she could have her say now. Might get her out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

im thinking similarly now. Circling the wagons in full swing as predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Is every TD now just reading off written speech's for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

RTE Board report landing now. Absolutely buries Dee Forbes

The Board are - still - oh so proud of their fancy Audit and Risk Committee BUT do not mention that it was only recently magic'ed into existence just-in-time for this crisis

They state that no one other than the DG had info needed to know RT salary was incorrectly reported. BUT of course don't mention that is because they were deliberately ignoring presenter contracts. 

LOL!!!

https://www.irishtimes.com/media/2023/06/27/rte-pay-crisis-ryan-tubridy-salary-controversy-dee-forbes-oireachtas-committees/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Dee Forbes should issue a statement disputing any aspect of this report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I dont believe Dee Forbes was the only person that knew about this. Tomorrow should be good.

The only person that can answer questions is not attending the PAC.

And Ryan knew the published figures were wrong so they need to state that.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I heard earlier from a friend in RTE that there might be a few more anomalies to come out Catherine Thomas was mentioned among a few others including one high profile one.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

Dee Forbes will give her side in time. Long way to run yet.

An independent investigation is needed.

Ryan won't be on the radio for a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

Forbes did something wrong in facilitating those off the book/undeclared payments to Tubridy. Tubridy was within his rights to accept the payments. How the paymaster treated them on their books was their affair. Tubridy's chief sins are not correcting salary figures he knew to be incorrect. The optics of keeping the money is a big issue against the backdrop of other staff/presenters taking a pay cut. His other big mistake was his initial statement which was probably the last straw for most people.

Although the review has cleared Tubridy the public mood won't accept his coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

They expect us to believe that NK never said anything to his client about money coming his way and how it was coming? Expect us to believe that Tubs knew nothing about anything? That the contract is fine and dandy. And it was all best practice during covid. There wasn't one rule for one and another rule for others. All hunky dory apart from DF.

Let's dismiss everything said by the rest of the employees today. We're doing everything just fine, Jack. Got rid of the bad egg.

• Advertisement

The Director of Content was aware of the deal according to RTE there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Surely RT was also in a position to know his salary was incorrectly reported?

I wonder will this shake Dee out of her sick bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

It's real school yard stuff.

There's a broken window and the teacher comes out and they all shout 'Miss she did it!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ha ha you're trying too hard thus making it so obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭pauly58

Cute move having his wages paid to his company, I guess that means no income tax, no PRSI, no USC & only corporation tax to pay at 12%. And this is all legal, nice for RTE as well, no Employers PRSI.

Makes my eldest son look a mug for the amount of stoppages he has a month.

It seems unbelievable if Noel Kelly doesn't comment publicly on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Surely to Christ Rte should be taken of the air immediately…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

If revenue were to ask me where I got my money and I said "I didnt know i got all that money", would they believe me?

Next Tubbs will be saying he doesnt have a bank account and wins money on the horses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Looks like presenters of indo productions are not included

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, very hard to believe that Tubridy had no knowledge of how his secret payments were being operated. Why would his agent not inform him....to what end? The agent himself didn't stand to benefit either way whether RT knew or didn't know how the payments worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So he was lying in his friday statement then was he?

Nowhere does the word 'innocent' appear in the report in relation to Tubridy. It says no finding of wrongdoing - within the terms of their report. That is not the same thing.

This report was not going to be in a position to comment on whether Tubridy should have corrected the record, he was a Director of the company which received the payments. He knew the declared figure was wrong. That is the lie by omission he acknowledged in his statement friday.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As expected and as I said this morning - nothing to see here. Was all agreed and any questions laid at the feet of the one person who can't be called apparently.

No surprise. This is establishment Ireland! Come on.. Did ANYONE in the audience expect any different?

"Lessons will be learned", "trust will need to be rebuilt" etc now, but very little will actually change and everyone moves on.

Handy distraction for the last few days though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

All Tubridy's bellyaching about covid. "We're all in this together...solidarity..vomit, vomit" and he's demanding RTE cough up 150k because his public appearances couldn't go ahead because of covid. What a reptile.

Tubridy has a 5 year contract with RTE since 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Report says that Tubs wasn't aware of the credit note arrangement. Really a matter for his agent to get him the best payments from various sources. I believe that he didn't take much notice of where his monies were coming from especially as he was earning a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The timing of everything involved in this debacle seem very deliberate to me. Time to get the ducks in a row, time to call the GP and get a diagnosis, time to leave the LLS, time to allow D4 leave, time to let D4 resign and get an anxiety based illness, and time for the Board to lay it all at D4's door.

I am not one bit happy that the Board has relinquished any responsibility for this. Snow job almighty to me. They shudda, wudda, cudda, DID know, otherwise what is the point of them?

That is the bigger scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

According to that he came in after these agreements, and it was his predecessor who retired in 2020.

Dee Forbes oh it was the people before me

CFO oh she's retired now

HR I know nothing

Content I was there at the meetings

Commercial Just obeying orders

Strategy No idea, why would I want to know I just make strategy for the best us of RTÉ!

CTO I am an AI at this point

Channels No idea (but he comes across that way, give him a promotion to Deputy DG)

and so on .

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The who and the what have been addressed but not the why. Why did they consider RT so special that they created this special arrangement for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement