Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

And who is he? Honestly who even knew who he was really?

They are competing among themselves only in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

We all accept that. But in no way should those sort of fees be approved again for mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

Qualified with a lot of reservation.

If there's one thing we've found out over the past week is we can't take RTE pronouncements on earnings of their staff as gospel.

Are you friendly with RT or Dee Forbes?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

you cannot change valid contracts at the drop of a hat like you suggest.

Have you ever listened to local radio in Ireland - one thing they all have in common is crap presenters.

RTE has the best homegrown talent and if you reduce their salary - we will get mediocrity.

you pay peanuts - you get monkeys.

cop on to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I will be shocked if Tubs resumes his radio show ever. He is clearly not wanted.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭sxt

The Like's of Netflix and BBC are going to headhunt Tubridy. His RTE salary will pale in comparison to want he has the potential to earn. Tubridy will be laughing his way to the bank when this storm in a teacup passes over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭Xander10

He was wrong morally.

His claim is, he only declared the real figures and had never looked at the fake figures the papers were reporting.

And he did make statements of taking pay cuts to help a struggling RTE and how it was the right thing to do.

Funnily enough has fake pay figure from 2017 v fake pay figure 2022 reflects a pay cut of (€52,500)

However. His actual figures show that his real pay in 2022 was higher than the real pay from 2017. So an actual pay rise for Ryan..no cut.

Very underhand.

I echo this man's sentiments about the RTE top earners😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

What is a "barter account"?

I never heard of one before?

Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I applaud the zeal of the journalists in RTE to act like investigative journalists. At the same time, Steiner's quote springs to mind: "And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow."

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

We are paying very well at the moment and getting shite in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Augme

Obviously I've no time for Dee Forbes role in it. But that RTE statement is an embarrassment and sums up the what a shambles of an organisation it is. The lack of accountability and willingness to make tough decisions is rife in there. A management team too incompetent to make good decisions and too incompetent to run an organisation without it being propped up by the tax payer.

Their disdain for the public is clear to see as well. How they think the public will believe it was all on Dee Forbes and even Ryan himself was oblivious to it all is beyond me. What an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Did Tubs claim he never looked at the published figures? If so, he is telling lies.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I want Tubs to return.

He is a very genuine fellow and is loved by a lot of the simple old people in rural and urban Ireland.

And another thing he does a huge amount of charity work in his free time:

Laura Lynn, St Vincent de Paul, Down Syndrom Center, UNICEF, …..

he’s one of the good guys - we are lucky and privileged to have him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭Xander10

Yes. Claimed he was oblivious to the wrong figures being reported yearly in the media

Saint Ryan. The patron Saint of Conor McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Don't forget the director of content (Jim Jennings) knew about "elements of the commercial agreement" - it's like this is some sort of IQ test and we are supposed to fit together the parallel overlapping statements to solve the puzzle of whodunnit, LOL!

Seriously they put out a deliberately cr*p "comprehensive report" to set our expectations on the floor. Tomorrow we'll have Govmt commending the Board on the cr*p report for taking a "vital first step on the long journey to restoring faith in an invaluable institution for democracy..." just to rub the public's faces in it! The dream of getting Zvlensky on the LL Toy Show might still be alive ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm not batting for these presenters and their salaries by the way............... but how do you know we are getting mediocrity? Just because a lot of people don't like them doesn't mean that they are mediocre. They may be the best that we have to offer? Have you ever listened to local radio? Jesus Christ, some of the fcukers in my neck of the woods can hardly talk.

There's definitely a role for Ryan Tubridy post scandal. In children's entertainment. He could dress up as a fluffy animal and maybe charge €1,000 for appearing at children's parties. Quite lucrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

First statement, RT unaware:

Second statement, RT should have asked questions:

Let's play spot the difference. Is it possible that RT decided to be a little more honest when the backlash grew?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Am I right in saying that RTE paid over 30,000 for the Tubs Renault appearances. But it appears at over 47,000 in the Barter account. What happened with the 17,000 grand?

And in 2022, the agent billed RTE 75,000? They paid and it appeared as over 115,000 in the Barter account? That's circa 40,000 unaccounted for?

And am I right in saying that RTE, in around about way, is saying that Forbes pocketed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

Don’t know either of them.

Just don’t like false claims being made against anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

What a joke that report is. "The person who can answer all your questions has resigned..........AND she is to blame for everything that happened. Can we have our licence fee rise now please?"

With her stellar negotiating skills, I wonder how big of a golden handshake Ms Forbes managed to get out of them. To take all the missiles for RTE on your way out the door and suffer that level of reputation damage, it must be a figure even Tubs himself would find eye watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Article on Dee Forbes pleadings from The Phoenix, December 2022:

THE INTRO to RTÉ’s autumn season launch is familiar to perusers of press releases from assorted Irish film festivals, Screen Ireland, IFTA and film industry organisations: “This upcoming season from RTÉ celebrates Irish culture, creativity and Irish talent, with Irish drama, unique Irish stories, and Irish talent taking centre stage.” Yet, do RTÉ possess the ability to follow up on these words with original programmes?

The PR pitch is clearly that the broadcaster’s output exists to underpin its pleadings for more income. In an interview last month, RTÉ director general Dee Forbes said: “We are living month to month trying to manage the finances.”

That may be true, but then Montrose has partnered with many international competitors in recent years, on shows such as Normal People, without whom these series would not get the green light, as Forbes indeed admits, referring to the return of Smother and Kin.

“Quite honestly, we couldn’t afford to do it ourselves. Having people like AMC coming on… is a very good way of making sure that this content is seen outside Ireland,” she said.

The problem is that there is little in it for RTÉ when the international rights are owned by the larger production partner.

A detail neither Forbes nor the recent PR guff addresses is the actual extent to which the new programming is produced by external, independent producers, and how much of that is commissioned or merely bought in by RTÉ. That information could leave the station looking like a hulking superstructure with inordinate staffing levels. It raises the question, if it is more efficient to commission these programmes externally, then why is RTÉ not entirely a commissioner broadcaster?

False claims against Tubridy?

Unproven would be the word for Dee Forbes and Gaago, nothing has been proven whether she was paid for her role on that board or not paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Bridget Clarke

A. Will advertisers want their brands to be associated with him now? B. Will his listenership figures plummet? I think the answers are A. Not a hope. And B. Yes. The kiss of death for any radio presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Newstalk has vastly superior presenters to Radio1,for half the cost no doubt.

See nothing wrong with the calibre of VM presenters either. Better in most cases.

RTE loves mediocrity. Any talent they had has long since left or been sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Kielty is being very cagey on what his salary is going to be.

I think we have a right to know seeing as we will be footing the bill for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Denny61

If tubs comes back .he will be hated by everyone...he betrr not ..hes sliimy smarmy and fake .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement