Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Right if there is no undersupply why are there so few places for rent and spiralling rents so bad they needed rent controls

Why are the numbers of houses for sale so low at a historical level

He even says there was undersupply in past but no explanation as to when this was magically fixed without adding any stock to the market

There was historical oversupply and it's been reversed

Like why is is he picking out figures for housing building and comparing it to 10 years ago when the market was at the very bottom of the post Celtic tiger slump with no building, which is the whole problem in the first place

Vacany rates are great when they aren't in leitrim

And saying houses haven't gone up in real terms when inflation is sky high yet incomes are flat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

No kids. But we have more space than we’ll ever need, so our potential future housing demand will be purely based on unnecessary stuff like a fancier location or more land. We’ll never need to move, but with might anyway if conditions are right for us to do so (cheap debt would be a big part of this).

I agree with you that for most, upsizing is due to needing more space. But there are lots and lots of people who contribute to housing demand just cause they can now afford to live in Dalkey or somewhere nicer than they currently are.

I think that type of demand reduces significantly with higher rates (likely already has) and hopefully to the benefit of the FTBers getting mortgage approval.

On the flip side, higher rates should encourage downsizing as people feel they can actually do something with the extra cash they generate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Mortgaged FTB demand is only a piece of the puzzle.

Yes, and the biggest piece - up to 70% of house buyers are FTBs. Increase the number of FTBs and with all your other buyer types in decline and that percentage may be even greater and as you say, FTBs have little choice. Talk to an EA, there is no denying the latest surge.

Your trading up demand to move from one house to another has little effect on demand though

It's people entering the market that does

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭hometruths

As I posted earlier there is undersupply right now regarding what's available for sale or rent that is actually on the market.

His point he root cause of that problem is not necessarily the fact that enough new houses have not been built over the past decade and the danger of only seeing that as the root cause is that we build too many houses in the future.

• Advertisement

He says there's no undersupply there was one it's magically been fixed

He gives no evidence for this

Students can't get accom filled by refugees

Hotels full of em

How he thinks the undersupply has been fixed when the number of completions has been si behind the curve is mad

I’m not close enough to market to speak to very live trends. You have some people on here saying demand is soft where they’re looking, others say it’s hot. The data seems to indicate prices have been falling for a while but may have picked up very recently - some have said this just the usual summer increase which will die down (hopefully).

I don’t think the piece on SSB not mattering is true. If we completely ignore supply and assume this is constant. Aggregate demand is just the total amount of money being pumped into housing across FTBs, REITs, SSBs, Govenemsnt etc.

When people move up the value chain they increase the amount of their money in the overall market, increasing aggregate demand. When people downsize, they pull money from the property market, reducing aggregate demand. We also have a major underutilisation problem in Ireland where people generally live in houses beyond their requirements (worst in Europe I believe)

Roughly based on recent data that I can see

35% Cash buyers

40% FTB mortgaged

25% SSBs Mortgaged

So absolutely acknowledge the 40% FTB mortgage people are seeing increased aggregate demand which in isolation would push up prices. They are also largely not sensitive to rate increases as long as banks will lend to them (which they are), as rent is so much more expensive regardless.

However the other 60% of demand is likely to have a material component of ‘non-essential’ demand which will be reduced by higher interest rates (kinda the point of higher rates I guess. Kill demand for everything).

I’m hoping the increased demand in the 40% is outweighed by the reduced demand in the 60% (less active REITS, less upsizing, more downsizing) which would allow a continuation of more FTBs getting loans approved for houses without an associated increase in price. That’s the best outcome we can all hope for.

I think the overall impact of people moving up/down/sideways and whether that is out of necessity or desire is not discussed enough.

You say you won't need to move but you might like to anyway if conditions are right. And I think that would be fairly typically of the majority of homeowners in Ireland. That sort of conversation about what one might like to do in five years time will be happening with regularity in households across the country.

Obviously part of conditions being right is you see the right house in the right location. Assuming you don't hate where you are now (do you?!) you'll need to see something for sale that is a significant improvement on what you already have.

And if the market is as it is now in 5 years time, pickings will be pretty thin on the market. If the market is the same you're unlikely to sell and think well I'll rent in the area I want to move to, something will turn up eventually, because there is nothing available to rent either!

So there is a decent chance even if financial conditions are right - interest rates and earnings etc - that you'll stay put for a little longer, that's the path of least resistance.

The same logic applies to the people who might wish to move on from the house that you would love to buy if it were on the market. It's not on the market because they're in the same boat. They're looking around to buy but they don't really need to, and they don't they see anything that offers a better prospect than what they already have. Renting is out for them for the same reasons. So they stay put a little longer too.

And the same will apply again to the people who would love to buy your house if it were on the market. Granted, they might have a slightly more pressing need for additional space, but it is unlikely to be an essential driver. There's nothing for them to buy, renting is not an option for them either. So they stay put a little longer.

This is exactly what's been happening in the market for the past 7 or 8 years for the people who had been having the we might move in 5 years time a decade ago.

Of course these people represent pent up demand, that's widely recognised and discussed. Much less discussed is the fact that they also represent pent up supply.

The more people who decide to stay put a little longer, the bigger the knock on effect of pent up supply and demand.

But the same can happen in reverse. If something occurs to reverse that trend even slightly, or at least halt it, then the knock on effects work the other way. The more people who decide I won't stay put a little longer, I'll put my house on the market now and see what happens, then the more others will do the same.

That cannot happen fast enough in my opinion!!

You are incorrectly equating people's demand to move with new people coming into the market

The demand is not the same

One person moving make space but they take it up somewhere else, it cancels out

If no one new entered the market the demand would look very different

Normally rental is flexible and can absorb some demand but it has imploded

So what has taken the slack is massive increase in the age of people buying and the rest staying at home with parents, that is a crisis, it's kicking the can down the road

The demographics are all in place already for the demand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I though prices were stabilizing in Dublin . But glancing at Daft it looks like prices have jumped the last few months. Are properties been offered at higher prices and the selling peice is actually lower ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think too many people do not understand the structure of our workforce.

Historically people had a Jon it entailed 40 hours over week and that was that. Traditionally people like students were often paid cash. Because of the change of nature of business payments all pay is now virtually all recorded.

Now if someone starts to work at 16/17 years of age they are on the system. They actually start on the less than the minimum wage. An U18 year old starts on 70%, @18 it's 80%, @19 it's 90% to where @20 you get the full rate.

Often these are on low part time hours and they drag down the average and median wages. Apprentices and interns also effect the statistic. We have over 250k college students in this country and the vast majority are working only 20-30 hours a week at the minimum wage or lower in some cases.

The nature of retirement has changed as well with many people now working part-time. The HSE is constantly recruiting retired nurses to work part time 15-20 hours/ week.

It's amazing the amount of people on the OAP I know that are working part-time, school bus drivers, machinery and truck drivers, clerical staff in companies. I know at least two retired women that do accounts for small businesses that take 1-2 days a week. Both work from home.

Add to that the amount of contract work out there ( not just the RTE example) but plumbers, electricians, blocklayers, painters who's earning are not accounted for in the median wage statistics as they are some traders.

Slava Ukrainii

Yes agree completely. I think I’ve seen the mentality of ‘I’ll just stay put’ being particularly strong in the older cohort who should be looking to downsize. These are in theory the people to kick off the required chain of events to allow more efficient use of the existing housing stock.

That mentality is definitely significantly influenced by ‘sure where would I move to. There’s nowhere nice’ as you’ve said…but also, and I’ve had this conversation with my own family last year.

’but sure if we downsize I’ll have €500k in cash and the banks will be charging me to mind it (my parents are very risk averse so wouldn’t do equities outside pension despite my protestations)…and sure the house is going up 8-10% a year tax free, why wouldn’t I just hold on for a while?’

I’m hoping the mentality changes if they can soon get 2/3% off the bank and the house is falling in value each year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

If you go back over this thread you can see all the posts that immigration will never be as high as it what was pre Covid….that prediction was way off the mark.

We also had posters claiming that there was no housing crisis and it was just media hype because there was enough vacant property to house everyone.

yes we could end up with an oversupply if the population declined rapidly due to lower immigration and high emigration.

I don’t think anyone will argue this point but you need to look at the probability of this happening which is quite low without a Major Economic Event leading to mass job losses. yet we have full employment at present.

All very true and good points. I think previous figures mentioned median household income of c.€45k?

Two minimum wage workers working full time 37.5 hours a week would bring in €44k a year these days!

I doubt many aspiring first time buyers aren’t couple working full time, so €45k is very much the lowest amount a FTB couple could be earning rather than the median which is distorted by all the factors you outlined.

One person moving make space but they take it up somewhere else, it cancels out

The idea it makes no difference appears to have become a very common misconception.

A healthy turnover of existing homeowners trading up/down/sideways is an important component of a functioning property market in ensuring an efficient allocation of housing stock. This used to be well understood.

One biggest problem, far greater than undersupply, is the inefficient use of existing supply.

I agree that releasing the elderly demographic would make a huge difference but I wouldn't put the blame on them quite so squarely! In fairness to them, there is nowhere for them to go either! I've said here before I think that introducing state backed bridging finance for downsizers with 100% equity could be an enormously helpful move to get the ball rolling. That's a carrot, I certainly wouldn't use a stick on them.

I think a bigger problem is the mortgage arrears - removing the threat of repossession as an incentive to pay your mortgage has had a catastrophic effect on clogging up the market and decimating turnover.

As we discussed earlier people sell either out of desire or necessity. In a functioning market a certain % would be selling out of necessity because they could no longer afford the mortgage payments as comfortably as they could when they signed the contract.

This base level of turnover provides a good selection of different types of properties in different areas - those who are selling out necessity are keeping the wheels of the market oiled which begets supply from those who are selling out of desire.

We've removed that from the market entirely. And as with so much of property transactions it has the opposite effect in the other direction. We've created a block of just over 100,000 properties which by definition are the most inefficiently allocated, and they are stuck. They cannot sell until they die. As most of these properties were bought in 05/06/07 that's unlikely to happen for a while yet!

That's where I'd lay the blame!

We also had posters claiming that there was no housing crisis and it was just media hype because there was enough vacant property to house everyone.

Guilty as charged!

We also had posters saying interest rates would not rise meaningfully in our lifetimes!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

We also had posters saying the collapse of the property market would be well underway by early 2023 - what was it, the Residential Property Price Index is six months behind the curve or something?

The amount of full-time adult ( not students) workers on the minimum wage is minimal. Generally retail and entertainment are paying 14-15/ hour minimum to fulltime staff. They are generally categorized as a shift lead or head waiter/ barman.

At a guess minimum household income now for a couple both working In very ordinary jobs is probably 55-65k/ week before tax.. Minimum earning in construction is now probably above 700/week before tax is taken out.

Median household income @45k is after tax as often that is what people report and I think I saw somewhere that they taught the figures were under reported as many do not fill it out correctly. It's a figure I be wary of taking into consideration as it includes single households, couple, pensioners etc. Sole traders are a terror for underreporting there income.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We had a poster absolutely insistent that it was all coming down in August 2021 and would be 50-75% down by August 2023.

Primary claimed reason for them was WFH which, if anything, has put residential prices up in a lot of locations and only down for commercial property. Also major misunderstandings of vacancy figures, a conviction that the state would run out of money to buy properties for councils / fund AHBs and some nonsense about there being a massive probate backlog that would suddenly rush out. I think the OECD 15% tax rate was going to cause every single MNC to move HQ and all their staff to Hungary too.

• Advertisement

Agree with all of that. Post wasn’t meaning to blame older people - they, like my parents, are just making logical decisions in their own best interest (why wouldn’t they). Just speculating the changing economic winds (specifically higher rates) may alter the logic a bit!

Only place id differ is I’d probably use a small bit of stick as well as a healthy dose of carrot. 100% bridging loans are a great idea as this is a real barrier to moving. There was also talk of reduced stamp duty for downsizers (I think they should go much further on the incentives here) but not sure where that got too!

Since house prices started to rise in 2014 we have had a selection of posters predicting a price crash of 20-50% ever year since.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Dead cat bounce! I was advised to hold off purchasing in 2014.

In all seriousness, the interest rate rises were expected to have a far more profound impact on property prices. Nothing major as of yet though. It's been nearly a year since the ECB announced that initial earth shattering .5% interest rate rise which was subject to intense discussion on here all last summer and into the Autumn.

A lot of that discussion was insistent that a major downturn in prices would start to filter through from Q1 this year onwards. No sign of any profound downturn just yet. We're a few days away from Q3 now.

Post wasn’t meaning to blame older people - they, like my parents, are just making logical decisions in their own best interest (why wouldn’t they). Just speculating the changing economic winds (specifically higher rates) may alter the logic a bit!

As mad as it sounds the reality is a lot of the arrears demographic are also just making logical decisions in their own best interest too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

I think this is because the banks have yet to pass on the interest rate increases to new mortgage applicants but people fear they soon will so are queuing up to buy now instead of holding off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Banks aren’t pricing mortgages based on the ECB rate. The historic relationship between mortgage rates and the ECB rate needs a positive yield curve something that we don’t have at present.

Instead we have an inverted yield curve where rates further out the term are lower than overnight rate’s despite inflation. To put simply the market expects lower rates than present in the future. Whether they have got it totally wrong or not is a different debate but that is the situation we have at present.

with regards house prices you also have to take into account that wages have been increasing which puts upwards pressure on house prices and as a result negates the impact of rising rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

BPFI figures on mortgage drawdowns last year had median income of FTBs at something like 90k. It was definitely under the 100k+ figures people on here would consider a normal household income.

And that figure has no distortion from part time workers or those who are totally priced out of market - these were mortgage drawdowns.

It was discussed at length on thread sometime last year - I had hoped it would put the average income question to bed. But now we're back again

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

It is 91k for FTB nationwide, then 103k for Dublin FTB and think its 109k for mover purchaser. The point is correct though that the people buying properties seem to have substantial family incomes. This kind of makes sense as a lot of people (me included) don't buy until well into 30s and often as couple. Real killer at moment is buying with two young kids and uve to show ability to cover creche costs and sensitised mortgage repayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The “median basic household income” of first-time buyers of existing properties in the second half of last year was €74,000 per annum. This rose to €91,000 for first-time buyers of new homes and to €109,000 for mover purchasers.

Edit: my mistake, misinterpreted the above.

• Advertisement

You don't seem to understand what you are saying

In a market with adequate supply, people can move freely when they need

A functional market

It doesn't cause demand

Yet again disproving the Irish times article that there is supply

Advertisement